Here you'll find Chris Whiteside's answers from his Reddit AMA, along with any other relevant info if necessary. I'll be updating this as the event goes on, so check frequently!

Question: What is your intention with Southsun Cove moving forward in terms of content and it counting towards map completion. also when is that fix for fractals coming?

Answer: Hi Kui,

Thanks for taking the time to get in touch. We will be evolving and building on all or our content in the game and do plan to build on Southsun Cove in the near future. In regard to the fractal fix, we are working on a fix right now and i would like to take this opportunity to apologies for the issue.

Chris

Spoiler

Comments

#1 Waar Kijk Je Naar

Waar Kijk Je Naar

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:23 PM

I chuckled when he said they designed everything with minimal grind.

What a joke.

[quote][color=#111111][font=tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgb(205, 212, 214)]We do not believe we have gone against any of our principals[/background][/size][/font][/color][/quote]
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxnsmsXYGJ4[/media]

#2 Maarius

Maarius

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:38 PM

[quote name='Waar Kijk Je Naar' timestamp='1353965032' post='2097271']
I chuckled when he said they designed everything with minimal grind.

What a joke.

[quote name='Chris Whiteside']
Good point Nacho. We are currently discussing these particular items and[b] it is fair to say that we don't want have such big hikes in requirements moving forward.[/b]
Chris
At first dungeon rewards were very bad too, that changed. This will change too. It's about finding out how it works, making sure that people can't exploit the rewards and when this is done, rewards can be fit into the system.

#3 Eon Lilu

Eon Lilu

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:39 PM

They really have no idea what there doing, changing there minds every 5 seconds...flip flop design choices.

#4 yahikodrg

yahikodrg

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:15 PM

[quote name='Eon Lilu' timestamp='1353965993' post='2097285']

I think it's better to say they don't know how to please everyone at once, they are trying but in doing so it looks like they flip flop on choices which isn't a bad thing if they are willing to change something that most players do not like/enjoy.

#5 Momochi7

Momochi7

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:16 PM

What a laugh of answers, sorry to say it. I really wanted to see the ranger proffesion Q' answered no luck i guess. All he said was, " were looking into that".. why thank you.. i really needed that i bet the playerbase won't fracture and leave more than it already has.. sad really

#6 Greibach

Greibach

Greibach’s Normal Form

• Community Contributors

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:16 PM

It just seems to me like they aren't sure who to target for their metrics. If you look at the players that have 1000+ hours logged already, those who may have been farming non-stop or manipulating the markets, the costs of these ascended items are high, but not compared to the wealth they have. When you compare it to someone like myself, who has about 300 hours, they look awfully steep. When I see these statements about "wanting minimal grind" after introducing items with objectively superior stats that take 300 ecto + other mats to attain each, I have to imagine that they are panicking about the number of players that are rolling in money. In my opinion, this is a poor group to look at. Those who want to achieve vast wealth will always do so; you can't keep them at bay without enacting measures that cripple anyone else, so I don't believe that they should be looking to them for what they determine as the baseline. If they want content to be virtually unattainable for the vast majority of players, that's one thing, but their stated goals disagree with that. There is a disconnect somewhere.

#7 Lheimroo

Lheimroo

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:31 PM

[quote name='Greibach' timestamp='1353968182' post='2097324']
It just seems to me like they aren't sure who to target for their metrics. If you look at the players that have 1000+ hours logged already, those who may have been farming non-stop or manipulating the markets, the costs of these ascended items are high, but not compared to the wealth they have. When you compare it to someone like myself, who has about 300 hours, they look awfully steep. When I see these statements about "wanting minimal grind" after introducing items with objectively superior stats that take 300 ecto + other mats to attain [i]each[/i], I have to imagine that they are panicking about the number of players that are rolling in money. In my opinion, this is a poor group to look at. Those who want to achieve vast wealth will always do so; you can't keep them at bay without enacting measures that cripple anyone else, so I don't believe that they should be looking to them for what they determine as the baseline. If they [b]want[/b] content to be virtually unattainable for the vast majority of players, that's one thing, but their stated [b]goals[/b] disagree with that. There is a disconnect somewhere.

I agree completely. It's like there are two different groups in Arenanet itself - one pulling towards the super hardcore, the other the soft inclusive one. They have to find a middleground that doesn't alienate either camp completely.. what they have now isn't it.

#8 Shayne Hawke

Shayne Hawke

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:40 PM

Show 500

Ctrl+F

Polymock

0 results.

Canthan New Year can't come soon enough.

#9 BnJ

BnJ

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:47 PM

[quote name='Lheimroo' timestamp='1353969097' post='2097347']

They're trying to cater both groups, but I don't see how they can achieve that.  They'll have to make some major adjustments starting with making the new tier easier to obtain and also making it available through other formats outside of FotM.  They did touch on this, which is good I guess, but I'll wait and see what they actually do about it.

The casual crowd is feeling left out in the cold at the moment.

Anyway...  [b]Moving forward![/b]

#10 Rerroll

Rerroll

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:52 PM

really? nothing about pvp? gg wp anet

#11 Targanwolf

Targanwolf

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:54 PM

If you craft you realize what a slap in the face the no grind committment has been.

#12 FSnake

FSnake

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:54 PM

I think when Chris said no/minimal grind, he meant for the player base to buy gem-->gold and buy everything off TP to make $$ for Anet.  Otherwise, he is in a total different reality than we are.  :(

#13 n00854180t

n00854180t

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:54 PM

[quote name='Greibach' timestamp='1353968182' post='2097324']

I have about 1000 hours played. I think I've had ~200g total across my entire play time. Most of that has been flushed down the Mystic Toilet while trying to get a precursor (before it was made apparent that it requires 5-10k rares or 500-1k exotics to even have a chance), while some (40g) has gone to materials for my legendary. The vast majority of that money has been gained by simple grinding. About 25g of it was gained via flipping dyes on the Trading Post.

Anyway, I agree completely with what you've said. They claim they want things to be accessible or to have "minimal grind", yet their actions are the precise opposite of that.

I just wanted to point out that even with 1k hours played, you're still not guaranteed to be rich enough to go buying Ascended pieces (and I certainly can't without destroying a huge amount of progress on my legendary).

[quote name='FSnake' timestamp='1353970453' post='2097365']

LOL yeah, this. I asked him how he could even claim that with a straight face, and he ended up replying with some PR spin non-answer.

ArenaNet must think we are all complete idiots if they actually believe that saying "There's zero/minimal grind" will fool anyone into believing that 1350 fractal relics, 24 skill points, 250 T6 mats and 50 ectos is "zero/minimal grind" (and that's for a [b]non-infused[/b] back piece... the infused one will take you an additional 250 ectos and more).

Anyway, I'm sure the Ignore Reality Strategy is really going to work splendidly for them. After all, it worked great for Bioware....oh wait.

#14 Maarius

Maarius

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:56 PM

from Chris:
[quote name='Chris Whiteside']
The requirements for some of these items are currently under review as are certain items/areas that were released on launch. [b]Personally i feel that aspects of the game [u]ARE too grindy[/u] and we are working through these areas to correct our overall direction moving forward[/b] as well as taking some of our current progression systems and rewiring them for want of a better term for example different methods of acquisition related to the way different players like to play their content.

To be frank the ascended gear was designed to be earn able outside of the FotM and unfortunately [b]we were unable to deploy this prior to the update. This (i hope) will not happen again.[/b]

At the end of the day we want to make fun content for all of our different player types to enjoy, in which they can earn the same rewards as other types of players, through activities they enjoy playing the most. This is not PR this is a fact. It is an extremely complex and exciting design goal that we aim to achieve with the help of our community.

I think this is very important to point out as it shows that some of their implementations aren't written in stone and need some work while it's live.

#15 Omedon

Omedon

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:08 PM

[quote name='Shroomhead Fred' timestamp='1353970041' post='2097359']
They're trying to cater both groups, but I don't see how they can achieve that.

Honestly, it seems cut and dry to me: Keep it optional.

The current presence of ascended gear, at the end of a very long (*cough-notworthit-cough*) tunnel provides such a miniscule bonus as to be easily ignored by anyone with a level head or just plain not interested in that content.  Sure, fanatics and carryovers from other games with competitive PvE won't be able to ignore it, so they should go deeper into the completely optional fractals and attune the everloving snot out of their couple ascended pieces (the way it TRULY makes a difference) to truly feel their epeen swell.

[color=#008000]If an epeen swells in the fractals, does anybody hear[/color]?  Only the community that that attunement treadmill is built for.

Which makes it totally optional.

This isn't like a player pulling the wool over their own eyes in WoW and saying that epics aren't worth it so you're cool with bare minimum blue gear stats (thus massively gimping yourself), this is actually a completely optional, [u]zero PvE competition environment[/u], with almost a snail's power creep, and to be quite frank, even if it translates over into WvW, who cares?  They'll put ascended gear into that flow eventually as well!

Fractals are a corner of the game.  Yes, it's currently the only corner with ascended gear, and that's messed, but they have admitted that that needs to be fixed post haste, and it's still ONLY a corner.  A focused corner to please a focused crowd.  There are other corners, they are developed and will be further developed to work toward ascended gear inclusion.

If that's not acceptable, log out and come back when they've implemented it all... it won't cost you anything.

In the long run, yes, they can please everyone, by giving every subset of the gamer community its own corner.  They can fragment the community all they want, what they are actually doing then is BUILDING COMMUNITIES of like minded, like-interested players.

If there is a subset of players that can't stand that somewhere, someone with different interests has 1% better gear than them, they will never be happy, and should seek help.  GW2 is sticking close enough to its vision and they are ALLOWED TO CHANGE THEIR BLOODY MINDS if it comes to that.  Anyone who was online during Lost Shores saw how agile ArenaNet can be when they put their minds to it.  No, they are not entitled to your time or money if they change in a direction you don't like, or while the game is in a state you don't approve of, so don't log in.

As soon as they start grossly taking away the options they started with, the complaining will be far more validated.  Until then, it's a bunch of people wanting a contract written in blood ("On the record?" really?) that they'll never ever have to replace their armour.  This game isn't that game, that game is all but dead, this is a new game, and this incredibly glacial power creep (it's not even a creep, it's like a "power erosion of a granite cliff by a river flowing by it") is more than reasonable.

Jeebus, people. :P
I'm an opinionated son of a gun!  Feel free to visit my blog, "Tales from the Void: Adventures in gaming whilst siezing Saidin"

#16 Juanele

Juanele

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:24 PM

[quote name='Omedon' timestamp='1353971286' post='2097379']
Honestly, it seems cut and dry to me: Keep it optional.

If there is one thing I've "learned" from all of the mmos I've played, it's never optional if it has any kind of statistical advantage.

#17 Carebear_Sss

Carebear_Sss

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:24 PM

[quote name='Rerroll' timestamp='1353970333' post='2097363']
really? nothing about pvp? gg wp anet

Yeah me and my teammates asked 4 questions, no answer at all.

Not even "when it's ready"

Created account here to have some place where ppl actually cares about pvp in gw2. :D

#18 Omedon

Omedon

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:26 PM

[quote name='Juanele' timestamp='1353972257' post='2097390']

Applying that mindset, (born in other games which, as I admitted, have vastly steeper steps in progression) to Guild Wars 2 at this time, and how they've framed it going forward, is borderline insane.  It's token and miniscule, and SO NOT WORTH IT on a "ratio of effort to progress" front.

#19 Lheimroo

Lheimroo

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:28 PM

[quote name='Juanele' timestamp='1353972257' post='2097390']

This is what bugged me most about the ascended gear as implemented - it simply wasn't optional (if you think it's optional, you simply don't care about your contribution to the group you're playing with), and there were no alternative routes. People can say that as they are now, a 2% or whatever stat increase is insignificant .. and that's true. But it was the future I was so concerned about - and I couldn't support the idea of continuing on with such necessary stat increases behind such obtuse, grindy mechanics.

It does sound like they've heard that feedback loud and clear, even through the carefully phrased image-management.

#20 MazingerZ

MazingerZ

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:29 PM

Quick Guide to AMA Reading

Follow the AMA'er: [url="http://www.reddit.com/user/ArenaNetTeam/comments/"]http://www.reddit.co...tTeam/comments/[/url]

Click 'context' on any replies to figure out what he/she is responding to.

He's going down the BIG LIST at the top of the AMA, which does include PvP questions.
It's okay to enjoy crap if you're willing to admit it's crap.
Every patch is like ArenaNet walking out onto the stage of the International Don't Kitten Up Championship, and then proceeding to shiv itself in the stomach 30 times while screaming "IT'S FOR YOUR OWN GOOD! IT'S FOR YOUR OWN GOOD!"