Rate Article   * * * - - 6 votes

If you haven't purchased the game yet, this is a great time to do so! For a limited time, you can get a free upgrade to the Digital Deluxe version with the purchase of Guild Wars 2. Not only that, but you will also receive an exclusive Wizard's Hat.
  • Summon Mistfire Wolf Elite Skill: Summon a deadly Mistfire Wolf, a spectral animal with unique powers of her own.
  • Miniature Rytlock: He may not even reach your character's knees, but this tiny miniature Rytlock still has all the spirit and ferocity of the charr!
  • Chalice of Glory: This chalice provides your character with Glory, which they can use to unlock PvP rewards (single use).
  • Tome of Influence: Boost your guild's influence with this sacred book (single use).
  • Golem Banker: An automated manservant that allows you to access you storage account from anywhere for 5 days.
  • Wizard's Hat: This pointy headwear will give your character that classic wizard look.

Comments

#1 MisterSin

MisterSin

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:10 AM

I want a wizard hat D:
Harry you are a wizard!

#2 Aurawind

Aurawind

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:43 AM

so.. the real fans dont get rewarded for getting the game sooner..? >_>! rage

#3 Serris

Serris

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:57 AM

[quote name='Aurawind' timestamp='1354956213' post='2111748']
so.. the real fans dont get rewarded for getting the game sooner..? >_>! rage

my supermarket is holding a sale, 20% off on bread. i once bought bread there. i'll go get my 20% refund back.

#4 Mesenet

Mesenet

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:02 AM

[quote name='Serris' timestamp='1354957070' post='2111754']

Few differences here, 1. bread is perishable therefore you buy a new loaf every week and can benefit from the 20% off. 2. 20p off is nothing compared to £15. 3. comparing discount on bread and free upgrades with new items is not the same :P

#5 Tripolityx

Tripolityx

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:19 AM

So me as early game purchaser demand free in game cuddle bear !

#6 I'm Squirrel

I'm Squirrel

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:19 AM

[quote name='Serris' timestamp='1354957070' post='2111754']

huge difference.

Grocery stores stick stuff on sale when they have an excess of overstock, or things are about to expire. And we're also talking about bonus items here, not just saving money.

This is a rotten case of greed, mainly because the people that purchased the Deluxe Digital Edition at release paid an extra $20 or more... and did not receive the Wizard Hat! Jokes aside, what a scumbag move, sucks for people, like me, that bought the deluxe digital edition on release(I was forced to because of ArenaNet's double cd-key bullsh*t).

#7 Mif

Mif

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:20 AM

One of the big reasons this promotion will rub people the wrong way, was that many fans bought the Digital Deluxe as a way of helping to support ArenaNet, even though they thought it was bad value.

#8 Cosmicrelic

Cosmicrelic

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:24 AM

As someone who had the game pre-ordered and didn't have the $$ at the time for the digital deluxe edition i find this promotion says "Screw You" to everyone who bought the game already. I mean where is our Thank You gift/promotion for being with the game since day one and still play it even after all the bumps and bugs with the events and such.

#9 Tripolityx

Tripolityx

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:43 AM

[quote name='I'm Squirrel' timestamp='1354958385' post='2111759']
people that purchased the Deluxe Digital Edition at release paid an extra $20 or more... and did not receive the[b] Wizard Hat![/b] Jokes aside, what a scumbag move, sucks for people, like me, that bought the deluxe digital edition on release.[/quote]
I completely missed the Wizard Hat! For free?! I DEMAND the cuddle-bear mini with funny voices when you walk over it!

[quote name='Mif' timestamp='1354958438' post='2111760']
Giving it away for free makes many feel like their extra commitment wasn't appreciated.[/quote]
And I agree with this.

[size=1]* so freaking mad >_< ! *[/size]

[spoiler][img]http://www.deviantart.com/download/276764286/chibi_bear_by_skytunezero-d4ks0ou.jpg[/img]
[/spoiler]

#10 Happiness Factory

Happiness Factory

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:02 AM

Buying a game on release will generally always be more expensive than later. Honestly the way i feel like with an MMO I feel rewarded by being able to play the game longer than someone who might have just picked it up.

At the sametime guys if GW2 was just another game and not an MMO, seasonal sales happen... get over yourselves honestly. I dont get mad when portal 2 goes for 66% off on steam even though i paid for the full 60$ right when it came out.

And to those of you who are asking for rewards for sticking with the game... they're not going to *ing pay you to play the game, that's not how this works.

"Oh thanks for playing our game for 3 months here's some free hats"... well arguably tf2 did that AFTER LIKE 3 YEARS.

/end rant

#11 Gremlin

Gremlin

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:19 AM

Annoying but to be honest I expected it, pity they didn't sell GW2 like GW1 with a special and collectors edition.

At least those who got prophesies collectors edition got something that was never repeated once stocks sold out, no matter how much I whined.

Reminds me though of how useless a 5 day golem banker is in the game lol, what about a permanent one.

#12 Plasticblanket

Plasticblanket

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:22 AM

[quote name='Serris' timestamp='1354957070' post='2111754']

Dumb comments will always be... Dumb comments.

Aside from that. This is another blunt stick in the eye from Anet! Thanks for caring about your first playerbase... NOT!

#13 Biochem

Biochem

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:37 AM

I can understand you thinking theyre being greedy, they are a company after all this is their number 1 goal, to generate revenue, but don't disregard the benefits you are getting from this deal which is largely a bigger playerbase to get to play with. Let's face it these items are complete garbage and have no meaning on the game from the competitive standpoint. Its what? a hat your player can wear if they are in town and happen to remember to flip to town clothes. An untradeable mini, I rarely even see people using minis for what its worth. A tome of influence when most guilds Ive seen have way more influence than they can even spend? It's rubbish.

What you do gain is a potential influx of people to fill your guilds, join you in wvw, fill the empty feeling pvp, or run some dungeons with you. That's real value right there and if it's this crummy deal that makes them decide to jump in, I for one think that's fantastic.

#14 Robsy128

Robsy128

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:39 AM

[quote name='Khalija' timestamp='1354953401' post='2111730']
[b]Wizard's Hat: [/b][center]This pointy headwear will give your character that classic wizard look.[/center][/quote]

... What?

You mean to say that I've been following the game for 5 years, played the original Guild Wars for 5 years, played on every single beta weekend event and stress test and pre-purchased the game and yet the people jumping onto the bandwagon now get a free [b]wizard's hat [/b]as well as all of the goodies I got when I bought the digital deluxe edition?

I'm usually the one defending Arenanet, but seriously, just what the hell? I bet I have to pay 500 gems for that as well!

#15 MisfitAndy

MisfitAndy

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:45 AM

[quote name='Happiness Factory' timestamp='1354960946' post='2111776']

/end rant

Everquest 2 and I think Everquest both give you free "veteran's rewards" for playing for longer than other people.  It isn't like they are giving it away "for free," this is a digital item that once it is made there is absolutely no cost in giving it to everyone who wants it.

I, for one, think it would be nice if they said "to everyone who prepurchased the game originally, you will also get a free upgrade."  It would be a sign of good faith towards the early adopters of their game and it might just keep a few people on their side.  That isn't exactly something to be taken for granted considering the amount of people they have disappointed lately.

#16 KaratePet

KaratePet

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:51 AM

That's just great! Free stuff is always epic :D

#17 Trettbrittfahrer

Trettbrittfahrer

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:00 AM

[quote name='MisfitAndy' timestamp='1354963534' post='2111800']

...nice if they said "to everyone who prepurchased the game originally, you will also get a free upgrade."  It would be a sign of good faith towards the early adopters...

Why should they, they already have our money.

Since the ascended update they showed us that they dont care about their old playerbase especially not the gw1 one.
So why give a sign of good faith to the early supporters/prepurchasers ?

Its all about getting money fast from the new GW2/old MMO crowd. Happy Wintersday.

#18 Tellia

Tellia

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:06 AM

honestly, is it worth anyone getting their panties in a bunch over a stupid hat, a minipet, and an elite skill with questionable use? cause thats really all there is in this promotion that matters.

having said that, seems like a misguided idea by anet anyway. they will need to do a lot more than give out free hats, minipets, and elite skills with questionable use, if they want anyone new to buy their game...

#19 NumNumPie

NumNumPie

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:45 AM

I really couldn't care less for some stupid hat, or whatever, and I understand their reasoning behind this and accept it. But I don't agree with it. And I really hope they give something to the people who have been here since day one. Maybe not now, but later.

At least we'll get Birthday presents earlier.

#20 Kymeric

Kymeric

• 1929 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:46 AM

Standard move.

If the rewards were at all interesting, it'd be annoying.