When we first announced the ascended tier of items, it was our intention that these items bridge the time and effort gap that it took players to get Exotic gear vs. Legendary gear. And since the release of the Fractals of the Mist and the infusion system, we’ve been monitoring player feedback, the economy of the game and the investment that building up a set of agony resistance gear requires. With the Wintersday build we will be making some changes to help those trying to attain their agony resistance gear.
  • Zomorros now will require 5 skill points to create an infusion down from the original 50.
  • The drop rate for Passion Flowers will double to help bring the overall cost of infusions down.
  • Increased the quantity of Vials of Powerful Blood, Vicious Fangs, and Elaborate Totems from containers.
We’ve made these changes because our goal is to make infusions more affordable for players and to help strengthen our economy. As with all updates, we will continue to monitor your feedback and the effects these changes have on the economy.

Source.

Comments

#1 Khrushchev

Khrushchev

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:41 AM

Woooooooooooooooooo.

#2 atreoo

atreoo

Posted 15 December 2012 - 02:43 AM

awesome and ty

#3 Norn Osprey

Norn Osprey

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:03 AM

If I understand this, it will -still- take 1850 farmed tokens or now I can -buy- the items for less, eventually when (more like if) those rare items from containers (huh?) saturate the market.

Why not just lower the %^&*() recipes?  What about the 300 ectos that players will still need?  Not a word about that.  5 vs 50 skill points?  I couldn't care less when I have over 300 stashed.

#4 Havenless

Havenless

Posted 15 December 2012 - 03:11 AM

View PostNorn Osprey, on 15 December 2012 - 03:03 AM, said:

This. They should've lowered the ectos to 50 at least.

#5 Ballistic Tomato

Ballistic Tomato

Posted 15 December 2012 - 06:15 AM

if they had actually monitored the player feedback and responded to it, they wouldn't have adjusted the drop rate of passion flowers and the required skill points.. they would have reduced the ecto requirement. Not in one.. not in even a single post about the costs of infused stuff did i read someone complain about passion flowers and skill points.......

#6 Majic

Majic

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:20 AM

They said they've been monitoring player feedback.

They didn't say they agreed with it.  :P

#7 Baron von Scrufflebutt

Baron von Scrufflebutt

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:31 AM

So if I get this correctly, dungeon gear, which is prestige gear by default, is supposed to be the easiest way to obtain exotics in this game?

#8 Trei

Trei

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:37 AM

Let us not confuse "easy" and "fast", they are unrelated.

#9 MisterB

MisterB

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:42 AM

Apparently ArenaNet and Chris Whiteside in particular have rather odd definitions of the phrases "zero or minimal grind."

#10 Baron von Scrufflebutt

Baron von Scrufflebutt

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:46 AM

View PostMisterB, on 15 December 2012 - 07:42 AM, said:

If somebody at A.Net finds the activity fun, it is NEVER grind.

#11 Minu

Minu

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:55 AM

The way to wake Anet up, is for people to actually stop doing the content.

#12 Tellia

Tellia

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:17 AM

still dont care about ascended gear. ridiculous amount of grind for either mats or gold, ridiculous cost either way since you need loads of ectos. and i REALLY am not looking forward to trying to get ascended in every damn slot once they release more pieces.

they were going to add ascended gear to wvw at some point but i dare not imagine how many badges each piece will cost...

#13 duncanmix

duncanmix

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:20 AM

Actually I'm happy enough with this. Got 1.8k relics. While doing so got my 2 rings. So 3 top tier equip took me some time, but eventually I got it. My biggest problem was actually skill points. 50 skill points is not easy to obtain. Or if u want versatile infusion its 100 points. Now just think about future when all equip will be ascendant x50 skill points. You would need to grind forever to put stones inside. I'm ok with this.
People that want to upgrade backpack for more agony need to pay a lot still, but that's not must since stats are same u just gain agony that is needed for fractals.

#14 Var

Var

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:40 AM

View PostProtoss, on 15 December 2012 - 07:31 AM, said:

This stopped being the case after the tokens update. They are so easy to acquire now that they lost any and all "prestige".

View PostNorn Osprey, on 15 December 2012 - 03:03 AM, said:

Its still not required, stop using that word.

You can reach 15 resistance for 0 ectoplasms and they even removed the offensive/defensive bias on the relic priced resistance infusion. 15 resistance will get you well on your way to 30+ (my group has gotten into the mid twenties with 0-10 resistance amongst all of us because our luck is shit (I still have zero) and we've yet to hit a wall). With the added scaling of rewards to chests now, your investment in ectoplasm (aside from a fancy skin if you get the capacitor) nets you the ability to earn more rewards. We tend to call this a cost at the gain of a benefit. (For reference, 15+ resistance makes Jade Maw in the 20s tier go from: 1/4 health per second for ten seconds, to 1/32 health per second for 10 seconds. If you have trouble surviving something that isn't even lethal...)

Moreover, the rings are now guaranteed to drop as infused after certain points. The crafting materials stop dropping their "old form" in high fractals. And every single daily not only grants you a chance at the ring but guarantees you a ring after 10 attempts.

#15 Eon Lilu

Eon Lilu

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:45 AM

This is bullshit....no change to amount of ecto's needed?

Wake up Anet, no way im spending that much ecto's...bridge the gap my ass.

Waiting for legendary armor and jewellery next....

#16 Baron von Scrufflebutt

Baron von Scrufflebutt

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:57 AM

View PostVar, on 15 December 2012 - 08:40 AM, said:

The players do not treat them as prestige items anymore (or we never have), but A.Net still does.
So with that in mind, wouldn't it be simply better to reduce the amount of tokens needed for the gear and consider these as GW2's 1k sets?

#17 Norn Osprey

Norn Osprey

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:58 AM

View PostVar, on 15 December 2012 - 08:40 AM, said:

Its still not required, stop using that word.

I never said it was "required". Go back and reread what I wrote if you think otherwise.

I dont care if you and "your group" can get to the mid twenties without any resistance, I PUG it. Without a Dungeon Finder, it was taking over 90 minutes to get a group, so I stopped doing Fractals some time ago, back when I got 800 tokens. And it was taking 4 groups to even FINISH a single fractal run.

That last time I counted it up, I had done L10 fifteen times without a single ring, with PUGs.

I dont give a rats backside about you and your groups success. I also dont care for your elitest tone.

My point shot right past your head.

Chris Whiteside said there was too much grind in this game in certain areas, while talking about the Ascended items.
He mentioned that aspects of the requirements for ascended items were going to change.
They changed two things, one of which I said doesn't matter to me.

#18 Var

Var

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:33 PM

View PostNorn Osprey, on 15 December 2012 - 10:58 AM, said:

You said "need", need implies required. If its not required then its not needed.

The game offers you 15+ resistance for virtually free, so the ecto quotes getting tossed around are meaningless, and 15+ agony resistance will reduce all incoming agony damage to 12.5% (or 25% for 10, 50% for 5). Its also not the game's fault that you PUG it, PUGs are inherently bad and fail often. You cannot make the game someone out to be the bad guy, the game has handed you a method of effectively trivializing all of the agony you will encounter up to and well past 20+. Your failing to pass that level, therefore, is likely not the game's fault but a condition of the fact that you choose to PUG it.

And ya, it sucked that the rings were RNG... now they aren't. The complaint is entirely moot now.

#19 Eon Lilu

Eon Lilu

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:22 PM

Still doesnt explain how they can claim is helps bridge the gap with legendary's when your taking ecto's away towards ascended...

They dont even mention that.

#20 Green

Green

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:28 PM

View PostHavenless, on 15 December 2012 - 03:11 AM, said:

This. They should've lowered the ectos to 50 at least.

Agreed, but this change is welcome.