As one of the most anticipated features to date, guesting will finally be implemented in just under two weeks on January 28th. Since launch, in order to play people who were currently on another home server, players had to take advantage of map overflows or dungeon instances that shared the same region. Now that restriction is being lifted and players are now able to be a guest on another world. Specifically, two worlds every 24 hours.

However, there is something to remember here. Much like the regional restrictions that currently prevent NA and EU servers from playing through dungeons together, guesting will only allow accounts of the same region to guest to each other. To quote Martin Kerstein,

"Because (different from a world transfer) we are not moving your character between data centers, you may only guest on worlds in the same region as your home world. Players on North American home worlds cannot guest on European worlds or vice versa."

With guesting comes the end of free server transfers. After the guesting update, transfers will require a tiered gem fee based on the current population of the desired server. Less populated servers will be less expensive to transfer to than a high population server. Transfers are still limited to once every seven days.

Remember! This update happens January 28th! If you are a chronic world-switcher, make sure you're snug tight in your home server before it lands to prevent getting stuck.

Comments

#1 Perm Shadow Form

Perm Shadow Form

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:13 PM

More Gems, yes! Took them only 5 months!

#2 shanaeri rynale

shanaeri rynale

• Content Writers

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:15 PM

You’re eligible to guest on only 2 different worlds at a time. Each time you guest on a world, that world becomes one of your eligible guest worlds for the next 24 hours. After 24 hours, you may choose to guest on a different world. You may log in to any world you are eligible to guest on as many times as you wish with no restriction.

How uttley stupid is that. So much for a global community of gamers, meeting up across boundaries to enjoy and learn from each other. Honestly...

#3 Samarin

Samarin

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:17 PM

I´d guess it´s for technical reasons, pretty sure they would allow it if it was easy to implement. Could be something else, too, but that´s the first impression I get. A shame, though.

Otherwise, good that they do this at last.

#4 Lordkrall

Lordkrall

Legion Commander

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:18 PM

View Postshanaeri rynale, on 16 January 2013 - 07:15 PM, said:

You can still play on NA server if you wish.
But you have to move your home-server to one of them first. Quite logical in my eyes.

As for the other quote: Why would you need to play on more than 3 different servers during 24 hours?

#5 Perm Shadow Form

Perm Shadow Form

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:19 PM

How come I could play freely on both EU and NA servers in GW1?

#6 Lordkrall

Lordkrall

Legion Commander

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:20 PM

View PostPerm Shadow Form, on 16 January 2013 - 07:19 PM, said:

How come I could play freely on both EU and NA servers in GW1?

You couldn't at release. Also keep in mind that the servers are built in completely different ways.

#7 Kilian

Kilian

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:21 PM

Really?

This feature was in Guild Wars 1, what is their reason for this?

Another reason for players to buy gems?  If that's the case, what a shame.

#8 Mr_Finesse

Mr_Finesse

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:22 PM

I find it hilarious and awesome that you have to pay more gems for high pop servers.

#9 Perm Shadow Form

Perm Shadow Form

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:26 PM

View PostLordkrall, on 16 January 2013 - 07:20 PM, said:

Is that so?
Well, I have no idea, however it looks suspicions to me, seems like they just want to cash in more.

#10 Arewn

Arewn

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:28 PM

Happy to see guesting finally in, but these restrictions are quiet annoying. No EU to NA in particular is quit disappointing, hopefully we'll see this changed in the future.

I was really hoping to see the guesting feature be as easy and open as joining an over flow. Party up with a friend on another server and simply right click their portrait to join them. I can only assume there are technical problems restricting them, people saying "but GW1 could!" should consider that as well.

Well, atleast I'll be able to join my other guild on a different server now, i'll just keep my guest server registered for them (JQ i think..). Atleast it'll be easy to join them now.

#11 shanaeri rynale

shanaeri rynale

• Content Writers

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:28 PM

View PostLordkrall, on 16 January 2013 - 07:20 PM, said:

Actually, you could. Sure they put a limit of 5 switches on it AND you had the international districts where anyone could meet up and play.

All the mechanics are in place for them to allow this to be multi-region there is no reason for them not to do so (and yes I listend to the tech lecture by Anet which basically says the same thing)

#12 Moon Electric

Moon Electric

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:28 PM

View PostMr_Finesse, on 16 January 2013 - 07:22 PM, said:

Why is it hilarious?

#13 Lordkrall

Lordkrall

Legion Commander

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:29 PM

View PostPerm Shadow Form, on 16 January 2013 - 07:26 PM, said:

Is that so?

If they did it just go get more cash they would not add completely free guesting at all.

#14 Captain Bulldozer

Captain Bulldozer

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:34 PM

View Postshanaeri rynale, on 16 January 2013 - 07:15 PM, said:

Yep.  Another major failure of the home world server design they went with.  Whoever suggested that over districts in the style of GW1 should be kept away from game design in my opinion.

• 2089 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:36 PM

View PostMr_Finesse, on 16 January 2013 - 07:22 PM, said:

If you are a bandwagoner (i dont know if i spelled that right), if you want to be on top server for the WvW then you have to pay more, they are trying to fill the low pop servers and i think that is a great idea.

#16 Gerroh

Gerroh

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:37 PM

View PostKilian, on 16 January 2013 - 07:21 PM, said:

Really?

This feature was in Guild Wars 1, what is their reason for this?

Another reason for players to buy gems?  If that's the case, what a shame.

In GW1, everything was instanced and people only ever met up in outposts and towns. The server design is so drastically different in GW2 that I'm baffled you're even asking why it'd be different in GW2.

View PostPerm Shadow Form, on 16 January 2013 - 07:26 PM, said:

Is that so?

This is sheer madness. People need to cut this shit out.
"I didn't get exactly what I want, Anet must be conspiring to steal my money."
How the * are they going to "cash in more" from limiting this? People are only going to switch servers once in awhile and I seriously doubt their income is going to be affected in any noticeable way by limiting it to either Euro or NA. It's likely a technical issue, or something else we might not be aware of. Don't be so quick to pass judgement, instead you should ask why Anet is limiting it, or wait for someone with programming experience to come along and give an explanation of what may be the reasons for this.

• 2089 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:40 PM

Well, we know when the January's update is going to be out now. Lol

#18 Wifflebottom

Wifflebottom

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:43 PM

Am I the only one that's totally fine with these changes? I am already on a server with my friends and I don't server bandwagon. Are people actually surprised that you'd have to pay gems to transfer worlds? It's a good thing maybe WvW won't be crap anymore.

#19 Sheepski

Sheepski

• Moderators

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:50 PM

View PostWifflebottom, on 16 January 2013 - 07:43 PM, said:

No you're not the only one. Happy to see that guesting will be finally in, and we're not restricted to servers where we only have friends or guilds etc, which was the assumption for a long period of time.

Even though prices for things such as Orichalcum will decrease, not as much as if you could get to every server constantly via guesting.

Question, feedback or issue? Pm me!

#20 Sans

Sans

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:51 PM

View Postshanaeri rynale, on 16 January 2013 - 07:15 PM, said:

"I'm such a social butterfly, why can't I play on 10 servers a day! I want to play for 10 minutes a day with each of my friends which happen to be all split up on different servers! UGH! Now i can only let friends on 3 servers enjoy my glorious company per day! they're going to be so angry at me!"