Flame and Frost: Prelude - January Update 2013

Arenanet has just announced the information and created the event page for the January update, Flame and Frost. This update is a prelude, meaning it is meant as a preparation for the upcoming months. The update will go live on January 28.

The update also brings new features, such as achievement updates, laurel currency, guesting,
new utility infusions and ascended amulets, and overall enhancements and updates. Make sure to check out the event page for the full details!

The sky falls and the ground shakes in the lands of the north. Charr and norn refugees crawl from the wreckage of their homes in the Wayfarer Foothills and Diessa Plateau, struggling to find shelter in the south. The call goes out for volunteers to assist the victims in this time of need, when earth and sky seem to have become the enemy…

Flame and Frost: Prelude is the prologue to a multi-stage narrative that will bring big changes to Guild Wars 2 in the months to come.
Promoted from Flame & Frost: Prelude

Comments

#1 Waar Kijk Je Naar

Waar Kijk Je Naar

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:33 PM

YES! FINALLY! Hurray! Rejoice!

Quaggan backpacks.

#2 Lordkrall

Lordkrall

Legion Commander

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:51 PM

Flame and Frost?

Jormag and Primordus incoming? :D

#3 Featherman

Featherman

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:58 PM

Yes, no more risen!

That backpacks makes me coo all over.

#4 shanaeri rynale

shanaeri rynale

• Content Writers

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:16 PM

Looks really cool. The Quagaan backpacks remind me of those backpacks you see on the backs of bikers.. Merchantising opportunity perhaps?

#5 Hailfall

Hailfall

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:20 PM

OMG that Quaggan backpack.. Damn you Anet for making me want to buy that! haha!

I am really curious what the rest of the update will bring :D

#6 Sheepski

Sheepski

• Moderators

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:20 PM

I dunno if I could be cruel enough to spear the quaggan with my weapon on my back.

Question, feedback or issue? Pm me!

#7 BuddhaKeks

BuddhaKeks

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:32 PM

They are going to milk those quaggans for all they are worth, aren't they?

I'm mostly excited for the new story. I hope it focuses on Norn and Charr lore (the coolest races anyway :P)

#8 Baron von Scrufflebutt

Baron von Scrufflebutt

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:44 PM

I am hoping the new rewards aren't account bound. I mean, I clearly will not be upgrading to ascended gear, so I hope I can turn in my crowns and sell the rewards on the TP.

Also, the backpack is wrong on so many levels.

#9 Lordkrall

Lordkrall

Legion Commander

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:46 PM

View PostProtoss, on 22 January 2013 - 03:44 PM, said:

Also, the backpack is wrong on so many levels.

Quite unlikely.
Everything else you can buy with tokens is account or character bound after all.

#10 Red Omen

Red Omen

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:50 PM

View PostBuddhaKeks, on 22 January 2013 - 03:32 PM, said:

They are going to milk those quaggans for all they are worth, aren't they?
Quaggan milk, as a side note, is not FDA-approved.

#11 Saevio Proelium

Saevio Proelium

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:52 PM

View PostLordkrall, on 22 January 2013 - 02:51 PM, said:

Flame and Frost?

Jormag and Primordus incoming? :D

I think it might just reference the areas (ie Flame for Charr lands, Frost for North Norn/Kodan Lands) Jormag would make sense but I don't know about Primordus

#12 Pariah

Pariah

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:58 PM

View PostSaevio Proelium, on 22 January 2013 - 03:52 PM, said:

If Primordus still resides in or near the Central Transfer Chamber, where it woke up, it could be possible since the location of the CTC is under the mountain range separating Fireheart Rise and Frostgorge Sound

#13 Captain Bulldozer

Captain Bulldozer

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:08 PM

View PostPariah, on 22 January 2013 - 03:58 PM, said:

As I recall, it had been announced that. although Primordus woke in the CTC, after his waking he proceeded to move around through the old Dwarven/Asuran tunnels in the depths of Tyria.  So, I'm not sure there'd be any reason to suspect him to be there anymore.  Judging by where you find Destroyers in game, it would seem he is more to the south (I can think of major destroyer spawns in Mount Maelstrom, Dredgehaunt Cliffs and Kessex Hills... am I missing any?)

#14 Pariah

Pariah

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:16 PM

View PostCaptain Bulldozer, on 22 January 2013 - 04:08 PM, said:

You're right, now that I re-read the Primordus article in the wiki, it seems it's been moving around quite a bit... at least the ice caves northeast of Fireheart Rise could be one possible entryway to the Depths of Tyria when they do open :P

#15 jonasklk

jonasklk

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:23 PM

seems like the Patch will hold mostly changes that affect the long term gameplay...gotta admit i'm quite excited for those new rewards :D

#16 Illein

Illein

• 2037 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:27 PM

Couldn't help but to think of A Song of Ice and Fire when I read how they named the patch :D

Looking forward to its content, albeit that settles that Fractals won't be overdone until much later.

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:39 PM

Going to edit your post, Zebdabi.  Thanks for posting!

#18 Doctor Overlord

Doctor Overlord

If you hate MMOs....

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:47 PM

Sounds like there will be some interesting stuff to see on the 28th.

View PostRed Omen, on 22 January 2013 - 03:50 PM, said:

Quaggan milk, as a side note, is not FDA-approved.
Protoss said the backpack was wrong on so many levels, this is a whole new level of wrong :)

View PostIllein, on 22 January 2013 - 04:27 PM, said:

Ha!  Good point.   I wonder if their original title had been A Tune of Flame and Frost before the legal dept. stepped in.

• 2048 posts