• Please log in to reply
373 replies to this topic

#61 Chaosgyro

Chaosgyro

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 345 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 06:46 AM

Like I said: the sources of all everything. :)

#62 RedStar

RedStar

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1793 posts
  • Location:_________________ (\__/)(\__/) (\__/)Help__ (='.'=)(='.'=)(='.'=)Allie__ (")_(")(")_(")(")_(")Bunny

Posted 01 February 2011 - 10:08 AM

The names of the dragons don't appear to share any common links, but it is interesting to note that two of those that were buried beneath nations have names that seem to share linguistic roots (Zhaitan under Arabic Orr, Jormag within the Norse-based norn territories). The implication we've been given is that each of these names is older than the culture above them, which makes for an interesting coincidence - could the sleeping dragons have someone influenced the linguistic developments of the cultures around them?
I can recall that we had this discussion in another thread, but I think that I forgot the final answer so : are the dragons' names their real names ? Or names given by those surrounding them (or the Dwarves) ?

#63 Lyssa

Lyssa

Wooden Potatoes

• Community Contributors
  • 4840 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 01:19 PM

Another thing with pridormus:

For a long time I just assumed that he was named pridormus by the races because he was the first of the dragons to rise.

But if thats an actual name of his own that he's had for years and year, that may mean that he's always the first to wake up. Or even... the first to be seen on Tyria?

Edited by Lyssa, 01 February 2011 - 03:21 PM.

#64 Jonzzon

Jonzzon

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 03:10 PM

draxynnic said:

Kralkatorrik is a four-syllable jawbreaker with short vowels and consonants apart from the long "rr". The language it makes me think of most is the Tolkein Dwarfish, although I suspect there are real-world languages it is reminiscent of that I don't know.

dont know if its conected but i keept thinkin Krakatoa everytime i read that name, giant volcano exploding, explosion heard around the world etc...

far fetch but still... ;)

#65 RedStar

RedStar

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1793 posts
  • Location:_________________ (\__/)(\__/) (\__/)Help__ (='.'=)(='.'=)(='.'=)Allie__ (")_(")(")_(")(")_(")Bunny

Posted 01 February 2011 - 04:04 PM

dont know if its conected but i keept thinkin Krakatoa everytime i read that name, giant volcano exploding, explosion heard around the world etc...

Hmmm at least I'm not the only one thinking that.

#66 draxynnic

draxynnic

Lorebug

• Moderators
  • 7675 posts
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 02 February 2011 - 05:35 AM

RedStar said:

I can recall that we had this discussion in another thread, but I think that I forgot the final answer so : are the dragons' names their real names ? Or names given by those surrounding them (or the Dwarves) ?
I don't think it's really clear, although the names certainly seem to predate the cultures that know them now.

Mind you, we don't know just how old the norn are - it'd possible that their ancestors were around the last time Jormag was active, especially if they really are devolved kodan.

#67 Konig Des Todes

Konig Des Todes

Manager of the Void

• Site Contributors
  • 9534 posts
  • Guild Tag:[Lore]

Posted 02 February 2011 - 05:56 AM

Kralkatorrik's name is definably named by itself. The fact that... (EoD spoiler)

Jormag's name is hinted to be by itself as well in two points: 1) The norn refer to it as "Dragon" most of the time (according to an old interview with Ree) so it isn't a norn-given name, and 2) (EoD spoilers again, less so though)

Durmand Priory|Library of Whispers|GuildMag
"...I received a 400-page bible document for the world..." - J.Robert King
I want. I want bad.

#68 draxynnic

draxynnic

Lorebug

• Moderators
  • 7675 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 06:43 AM

Aye. I was thinking of the Dragonspawn myself - although there was some doubt in my mind as to whether that could have been the a remnant of the 'spawn's previous existence, and even if the names are used by the dragons doesn't mean they weren't given to them by others.

That said, as you point out the names do seem to have power to them, which suggests that regardless of where they came from, they're true enough for any purpose worth mentioning now.

#69 Nekketsu

Nekketsu

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 03:03 AM

Since you're adding info about npc races too, I found some stuff about the Tengu at GWwiki

The naming conventions (at least for first names) seem to switch between tribes

Spoiler

I couldn't find any named Tengu from the other 2 tribes.

EDIT: found a bunch from Caromi after some deeper searching

Edited by Nekketsu, 03 February 2011 - 03:49 AM.

#70 draxynnic

draxynnic

Lorebug

• Moderators
  • 7675 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 05:27 AM

There is one Sensali, but it appears only one: Gull Hookbeak.

Quetzal have Petrav the Evasive (who, interestingly, doesn't have the implied elite) in the Verdant Cascades and Kemil the Inept (who does) in Alcazia Tangle. These seem to distinctly vary from other Tengu, as they have titles instead of the adjective-bird anatomy names that other tribes have. They also both have two-syllable first names, which is rare among other tengu tribes, both sounding as if they might come from Eastern Europe (Petrav is very Slavic, while Kemil strikes me as Turkic.)

Another thing we can note is that Swift Honorclaw is Soar Honorclaw's father, thus the second name is passed from parent to child in similar manner to human surnames.

While I'm looking through the Tarnished Coast already, some Krait:
Flannuss Broadwing
Byndliss Flamecrown
Bredyss Longstride

All are flowing two-syllable names finishing with the sibilant double S common among serpentine races, followed by an English descriptive word. That said, ANet seems to have done a lot of revising on just where the krait fit into the world, so they may prove to be quite different come GW2's release.

#71 Lyssa

Lyssa

Wooden Potatoes

• Community Contributors
  • 4840 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 02:12 AM

So.... whats going on here? Not seen an OP update for a while.

Anyway it seems like a crime that we havent mentioned the Wardens yet when we flat out have information regarding their naming conventions:

Wardens do not take names as such, but take their monikers from their rank in the clan’s natural hierarchy. The lowest ranked, least powerful Wardens are associated with the smallest forms and shapes of nature—leaves, moss, seashells, and so on. Higher up are those Wardens who take their name from particular trees or larger forms of sea life, while those protectors that lead the clans take the names of the seasons. - Factions Manuscripts.

#72 Alice

Alice

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 392 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 04:50 PM

As recent posts suggest, I agree we should add the tengu information we have to the OP.  Tengu have always been one of my favorite species since I first stumbled across them outside Lion's Arch in 2005.  I really hope they are added as a playable species in a GW2 expansion. My fingers are crossed!

Qing Guang said:

Laph and Zhed ... have a single-syllable first name
Right. When reading the OP I was surprised by the amount of emphasis on all centaurs, every single one, without any exception...using two syllables in the first name. That really stuck out, and it seems it was worded as such with intent. I believe it should be rephrased so it isn't definitive, as clearly not every single centaur without exception follows this rule.  It is a good rule, but there are exceptions.  The OP should be modified to reflect this truth.

#73 Lyssa

Lyssa

Wooden Potatoes

• Community Contributors
  • 4840 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 05:35 PM

Yeah what err is going on here? Hasnt seen an update for a while!

#74 draxynnic

draxynnic

Lorebug

• Moderators
  • 7675 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 02:12 AM

Alice said:

As recent posts suggest, I agree we should add the tengu information we have to the OP.  Tengu have always been one of my favorite species since I first stumbled across them outside Lion's Arch in 2005.  I really hope they are added as a playable species in a GW2 expansion. My fingers are crossed!

Right. When reading the OP I was surprised by the amount of emphasis on all centaurs, every single one, without any exception...using two syllables in the first name. That really stuck out, and it seems it was worded as such with intent. I believe it should be rephrased so it isn't definitive, as clearly not every single centaur without exception follows this rule.  It is a good rule, but there are exceptions.  The OP should be modified to reflect this truth.
Yes, it should be. Made a quick alteration to the centaur section, and if BBQman doesn't do it himself soonish, I'll add the Tengu.

#75 Lady Minuit

Lady Minuit

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 03:13 PM

About the Sylvari, it is pretty clear their names are from Welsh, Gaelic and Irish influence, but as many of you pointed out, they don't really have last names since they all born from the same tree.

Known Sylvari names
Caithe, Faolain, Killeen, Trahearne.

So I was thinking maybe their "last name" could be based on either the season/weather/time of the day they are born (since we already know this play a role in their creation) or a nickname describing a feature they have or their personnality. This nickname could also be based on the meaning of the first name.

Examples of nicknames based on :

Seasons
Spring, Summer, Fall (Autumn), Winter

Mouvelian calendar
Zephyr, Phoenix, Scion, Colossus

Elements
Air, Fire, Water, Earth

Weather
Spoiler
*Certain terms may be inappropriate depending of the weather around the pale tree.

Time of the day or related to
Spoiler
Other significant elements of nature
Spoiler
*Certain elements might be inappropriate, but can be useful as a reference.

Emotions or personality
Spoiler
*Certain traits might be inappropriate for this race background.

Appearance or colors
Spoiler
Mythical creatures, plants or natural elements
Spoiler
Combinaisons of nicknames
Spoiler
Examples of constructed names
Here are some examples I made from Welsh baby names where I added a last name based either on the meaning of the first name or any similar nicknames to those shown before.

Female names

Spoiler
Male names

Spoiler
Of course it's just an idea, but would anyone be interrested in doing something like that or perhaps someone has another idea?

References
Welsh baby names, http://babynamesworl...gender6=2&page=
GW2 Wiki, Mouvelian Calendar, http://wiki.guildwar...velian_calendar
GW2 Wiki, Seasons, http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Season
GW2 Wiki, Category : Sylvari, http://wiki.guildwar...ategory:Sylvari

Edits
Spoiler

Edited by Lady Minuit, 25 February 2011 - 06:17 PM.

#76 ShadowedSin

ShadowedSin

Seraph Guardian

• Community Contributors
  • 1997 posts
  • Guild Tag:[AC]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 23 February 2011 - 04:36 PM

One way how the Sylvari have been introducing themselves I believe is via the time of day they were born which is how their season is decided.

Also, names such as Cillian the Quick would be more than appropriate I think for them. I think we'll find out more when we get a Sylvari week in the future :)

#77 Lyssa

Lyssa

Wooden Potatoes

• Community Contributors
  • 4840 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 04:38 PM

draxynnic said:

Yes, it should be. Made a quick alteration to the centaur section, and if BBQman doesn't do it himself soonish, I'll add the Tengu.

Cool! But just the tengu? What about the other stuff?

#78 Greek Guardian

Greek Guardian

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 05:30 PM

I absolutely love this thread!Really helpful for coming up with new names for your characters,thumbs up! :D

#79 BrettM

BrettM

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1434 posts
  • Guild Tag:[FPI]
  • Server:Isle of Janthir

Posted 23 February 2011 - 08:57 PM

Lady Minuit said:

So I was thinking maybe their "last name" could be based on either the seasons/weather/time of the day they are born (since we already know this play a role in their creation) or a nickname describing a feature they have or their personnality. This nickname could also be based on the meaning of the first name.
Very nice! But, why not take it all the way and forget about English?

For "Cain of Winter", for example, use the Welsh/Irish/Scottish words for "of winter" to construct the name. ("Cain o Gwanwyn" for Welsh? Just a guess. Google is dangerous in untrained hands. Be afraid! :o)

For nickname versions, make Welsh/Irish/Scottish phrases that aren't just repeats of the first name. E.g. Elain Tirion = Gentle Fawn. (Better than Elain the Gentle, I think. Go for a noun and relevant adjective, rather than cluttering up the name with the definite article. I'm assuming Welsh, like Irish, is one of those languages where nouns precede their adjectives.) Throw on a title, too, if you like: Deryn Brychan yr Arial (Speckled Blackbird the Venerated).

It would be interesting to see similar lists for Irish and Scottish Gaelic.

#80 Lady Minuit

Lady Minuit

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 09:41 PM

BrettM said:

Very nice! But, why not take it all the way and forget about English?

Yea I thought about this as well, but for people that aren't so into google I thought it would be nice for them to know what it says at first glance (in english) while keeping the magic of the language (welsh/irish/gaelic first name).

But ur right that would work well too, it could be a good idea, just the words that changes.

#81 ShadowedSin

ShadowedSin

Seraph Guardian

• Community Contributors
  • 1997 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 11:01 PM

One thing to note is that linguistically, Irish and Scottish do not have a word for 'of'. The O' is actually a anglicization of the old word, Ua meaning of the people of. The actual preposition though is non-existent.

You can express that though by simply basically taking the secondary part of the name and then making it possesive. I'll find examples of that later.

Also to note, the Celts didn't have surnames in Ireland until 1000 AD. Before that they just had person names, clan names, and secondary titles. The surname aspect didn't happen until Brian Borou (where the O'Briens come from) conquered the Island.

Slan ahbaile (Irish for good by to your home)

Edited by ShadowedSin, 23 February 2011 - 11:07 PM.

#82 Qehb

Qehb

Vigil Crusader

• Members
  • 3520 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 12:16 AM

^Mc or Mac, means son of,

For Charr first names I pick 1 or 2 words to describe the characters personality and roughly translate it to Mongolian.

#83 draxynnic

draxynnic

Lorebug

• Moderators
  • 7675 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 05:26 AM

Lyssa said:

Cool! But just the tengu? What about the other stuff?
Also on the list, naturally. Tengu are probably higher priority to to the higher likelihood of becoming playable, though. ;)

#84 ShadowedSin

ShadowedSin

Seraph Guardian

• Community Contributors
  • 1997 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 05:43 AM

Qehb said:

^Mc or Mac, means son of,

For Charr first names I pick 1 or 2 words to describe the characters personality and roughly translate it to Mongolian.

Literally it means son, the of is inferred. I've actually bugged the crap out of my teachers and my irish grammar book basically says there is no direct word for of. You basically have to use case (way how nouns inflect) to create the meaning. I mean in Irish to literally say you are good, you say "Be I to good". That's because to say I am good is "Ta me go maith".

It's completely unlike English.

#85 draxynnic

draxynnic

Lorebug

• Moderators
  • 7675 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:25 AM

Hrrmn. Was just doing a bit of research on the charr names, and found a couple of things I wasn't expecting... namely, that there are places in India called Kalla and Almora. Sound familiar? It should... as two of the charr female names that aren't English words.

I'm going to look to see if I can find anything similar in male names - watch this space.

#86 Lyssa

Lyssa

Wooden Potatoes

• Community Contributors
  • 4840 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 12:32 PM

draxynnic said:

Also on the list, naturally. Tengu are probably higher priority to to the higher likelihood of becoming playable, though. ;)

Ah yes. Naturaly ^^.

#87 razor39999

razor39999

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2607 posts
  • Profession:Ranger
  • Guild Tag:[Arrr]
  • Server:Aurora Glade

Posted 24 February 2011 - 01:03 PM

Btw since Irish and Scottish were mentioned, is Welsh part of the same family of languages?

#88 BrettM

BrettM

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1434 posts
  • Guild Tag:[FPI]
  • Server:Isle of Janthir

Posted 24 February 2011 - 01:50 PM

razor39999 said:

Btw since Irish and Scottish were mentioned, is Welsh part of the same family of languages?
They are all part of the group of Celtic languages, which has two main branches. Irish and Scottish Gaelic are closely related to each other on one branch, while Welsh is on a different branch that has diverged quite a bit. The sylvari NPC names we've seen are all Irish Gaelic in origin, I believe. But, since there are probably few linguists playing GW (I'm certainly not one), I don't think anyone will fuss too much if someone uses Welsh or Cornish names as an alternative.

#89 ShadowedSin

ShadowedSin

Seraph Guardian

• Community Contributors
  • 1997 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 06:49 PM

Labharionn as na gaeilge. I speak the Irish.

Irish / Scottish / Manx are all from a branch of the Celtic languages that migrated out of Iberia thousands of years ago. Look up Galician it has a romance speaking Dialect, but it has severe Celtic cultural ties!

Welsh and Breton are what we in the linguistics business called Brythonic Celtic Languages where as Irish and the rest are called Goidelic :) Brythonic languages descend from a Gaulish (aka where France is now) ancestry.

#90 Shew

Shew

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1094 posts
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 24 February 2011 - 07:09 PM

This thread makes me sad that "Shew" doesn't really work as a norn's name. :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users