• Curse Sites
Help
- - - - -

MantleCon 1081 AE Workshop

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 Konig Des Todes

Konig Des Todes

Manager of the Void

• Site Contributors
  • 9534 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 07:54 PM

I meant to get this up on the 1st but I'm just so far behind on things... Bleh.

(Inspiration credits go to Tzu and the event workshops she hosts)

How good are your art skills? Writing skills? Music skills? For the first time, MantleCon will sponsor an art contest. From artwork (traditional or digital), crafts, writing, music, video – anything! Do whatever you want (so long as it follows the requirements listed below), however you want! Entertain the masses, and get a reward for doing so!

There will be four categories: Best Progress, Muse, Most Original, and the Golden Theater.

Workshop submission deadline is March 31st. Edit: The deadline has been pushed back to April 5th!

Best Progress
The Best Progress award is given to the artist who listened intently to critique, mastered the art of personal growth, and made long leaps to better his/her piece.

Muse
The Muse is an award given to a person who didn't necessarily enter the thread as a participant, but rather as a supporter of the thread and the goal. He/she is a person who kept the thread alive with kind chatter, maybe donated something to the prizes, gave useful critique, submitted tutorials and ideas selflessly, and generally kept everyone motivated all the way.

Most Original
The Most Original Art Award is given to the artist(s) who have, in a positive way, stood out from the crowd, in choice of art form, subject, style and finish.

Nothing But Mantle
The Nothing But Mantle awards are given to the works that best show the spirit of MantleCon and the Krytan civil war – from 1072 AE to 1079 AE.

Golden Theater
Those who write in the style of a play will be eligible for a second reward special to this contest only: having the story featured during at least one of the four Golden Theaters during this year’s MantleCon!

General Requirements:

• The theme of the work must be related to the White Mantle, Shining Blade, Shining Mantle, War in Kryta (event, not GW Beyond chapter), Mursaat, or Seers.
  • Must be submitted before April 1st, 2011 (those submitted on April 1st will not be accepted)
  • Be entertaining
Additional Writing Requirements:

• Cannot exceed 6,000 words.
Additional Golden Theater Requirements:

• Last 20-30 minutes in act-typing.
  • Be written as a play.
  • Be reasonable with amount of characters (and actions).

PRIZES
All prizes are subject to change based on new prizes obtained. Additional places will be added based on amount of prizes obtained.

Best Progress – 30 Royal Gifts; 1 Royal Gift Mini Set (Salma, Livia, Evennia)

Most Original –1st place: 7 Kegs of Ale -  2nd place: 30 Royal Gifts; 1 Royal Gift Mini Set (Salma, Livia, Evennia)

Muse – 15 Royal Gifts; 1 Full Common Birthday Mini Set (Jade Armor, Mursaat, Seer)

Nothing But Mantle – Full Oppressor’s set for HoM (110 Medals of Honor - see note)

Golden Theater – Featured during MantleCon; 1 Everlasting Unseen Tonic

Note: For the Oppressor’s weapon set for the Hall of Monuments, the winner will choose the attribute for the staff, focus, shield, and wand and which kind of bow. Weapons will be given one by one inside the Hall of Monuments for dedication; the prize is for the HoM, not to sell to others. If there are the weapons in the HoM already, the winner will be given another reward deemed equal by the staff based on how many oppressor’s weapons that are in the HoM already.

Judges:
  • Me (Konig Des Todes)
  • TBA

Edited by Konig Des Todes, 26 March 2011 - 12:18 AM.

Durmand Priory|Library of Whispers|GuildMag
"...I received a 400-page bible document for the world..." - J.Robert King
I want. I want bad.

#2 ThrangisTheRed

ThrangisTheRed

Always late -.-

• Members
  • 738 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 10:01 PM

Great thread!  I look forward to being entertained...  Or else! D:<

#3 Husky

Husky

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1738 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 10:42 PM

Most Original would probabaly be Action Jack, and for muse, ide have to say Amannelle

#4 Konig Des Todes

Konig Des Todes

Manager of the Void

• Site Contributors
  • 9534 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 07:43 AM

Just wanted to give this a bump so that people are more likely to see it (perhaps I'm just over-worried about it not getting enough attention to make it a proper workshop...).

I want. I want bad.

#5 Husky

Husky

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1738 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 07:47 AM

double bump..

Curious on the outcome :)

sad Amannelle has left us though

#6 OctoberJade

OctoberJade

Whose ear

• Site Contributors
  • 1160 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 08:16 AM

Husky said:

sad Amannelle has left us though

:eek:

*goes to check*

most recent post: Feb 19

:eek:

#7 Konig Des Todes

Konig Des Todes

Manager of the Void

• Site Contributors
  • 9534 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 08:49 PM

Just going to bump this once more, since if fell off the first page. The contest is not yet finished and no submissions...

Due to the lack of contribution on both here and Guru1, I've put the prize list over here as well instead of trying to localize people into one thread.

I want. I want bad.

#8 Konig Des Todes

Konig Des Todes

Manager of the Void

• Site Contributors
  • 9534 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 12:17 AM

I'm extending the deadline.

I realized that I don't need 10 days to judge works, so I'm giving an additional 5 days before the deadline (making the deadline April 5th).

I want. I want bad.

#9 Akembo Mehtani

Akembo Mehtani

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 01:31 AM

I want to contribute (nigh desperately), but midterms are hungry for time.

This is the general theme of the thing- it'd be a thoroughly abridged, Kryta-based adaptation of Shakespeare's Tempest. Prospero would be replaced by a minor Krytan prince who fled to a small island during the White Mantle's rise with his daughter; a malicious Justiciar would replace Alonso; the prince's brother would be replaced by an ambitious Lionguard, responsible for Krytan-Prospero's flight (Krytan-Prospero wanted to resist the Mantle) and now allied with the Mantle; the Lionguard's son replaces Ferdinand, as a Ranger who'd hoped to the join the Shining blade before the WiK ended; finally, a Seer would replace Ariel.

The play would open with Krytan-Prospero and his daughter on the island, a few days' sail off the coast of Kryta. The year is 1080AE and they fled the Mantle shortly after the Charr's defeat at Demetra, so they've become used to the island. Prospero's managed to magically enslave a Seer, who was trapped in a tree by the island's former Unseen residents. A brief introduction to their situation would be followed by Prospero's shipwrecking of the Justiciar and the Lionguard, who were shown to be responsible for Prospero's flight in the introduction. A brief sideplot would lead Ferdinand and Prospero's daughter to romance. The Justiciar and Lionguard would plan to assassinate Prospero, only to be foiled by the Seer.

In the end, the Krytan Prospero chooses to remain on the island, realizing there's no place for him in the new monarchy. He allows the Justiciar and Lionguard, now thoroughly dejected, to journey on to Tarnished Haven. Ferdinand and the daughter would return to Kryta.

I think that could be adequately written for a GW play, although I can't be sure I'll get it done by the 5th.

I hope MantleCon works despite the lack of works, Konig. Good luck.

#10 Doctor Overlord

Doctor Overlord

If you hate MMOs....

• Members
  • 5202 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 05:01 AM

Sounds like a fun contest but my knowledge of GW1 lore is even more limited than GW2.   I bought GW1 when it first came out but never did finish off Prophecies (yeah, I know, I know.  I'm still trying to get through it)