• Curse Sites
Help
- - - - -

'Circles'

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 Rolin

Rolin

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1467 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 06:29 PM

http://www.readwrite...rk_called_c.php

Google plans to release a new social networking service called Circles. They it is described makes it sound like a more private version of Facebook.
The article is a bit long and repeats itself over and over, so I made a much shorter synapses in a blog entry.

Before Facebook, Twitter, or even the long forgotten MySpace came around, people had a thing called privacy. When social networking came around, privacy took the back seat, and anyone anywhere could see what you were doing because you would tell them what you were doing, regardless if you wanted to or not. Newer additions to these sites have reduced privacy even more by allowing your friends to rat you out. Your mom now knows that you were out partying instead of studying for exams because she sees the pictures that your friends tagged you in. Circles is promising to give us back that privacy. It promises to divide our private lives from our profession lives, much like we would offline.

#2 Warren

Warren

perceptive

• Members
  • 184 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 07:02 PM

Sounds great, but I don't think it will get big.
People dig social networks because they want attention.
If you ask someone why don't they just use phone / Skype / MSN to stay in touch with their friends, they'll always fine some excuse.
Still, nice to see Google offering alternatives.

#3 Glaive

Glaive

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 409 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 07:20 PM

Great, another network for millions of people to hop onto and thus, killing the previous one. Has anyone noticed that this is creating a network of networks?

Yet another thing Humans and computers have in common: Infinite redundancy abounds.

#4 Short

Short

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1799 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 07:21 PM

I'm fine with Facebook thanks, I use my privacy settings well. And to be honest, I've never particularly trusted Google.

#5 Rolin

Rolin

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1467 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 07:24 PM

A major redeeming factor I see in Circles is that it is from Google, thus meaning it will be linked to your emial, youtube account, blogger account, and anything else you use that google provides. And I'm sure there will be a special app for Circles in your Google Chrme browser.
The privacy thing is what most people are interested in, but this seems to be a major advantage it has over other social networking sites.

#6 OctoberJade

OctoberJade

Whose ear

• Site Contributors
  • 1160 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 07:59 PM

What ever became of Diaspora?  That was supposed to be the next big alternative for privacy-minded users, but it hasn't been in the news lately.

#7 Glaive

Glaive

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 409 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 08:01 PM

Privacy is good. But if it starts asking for personal info it has no business asking for, I'm NOT volunteering it. If it says I have to, I move on.

#8 Short

Short

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1799 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 08:11 PM

Rolin said:

A major redeeming factor I see in Circles is that it is from Google, thus meaning it will be linked to your emial, youtube account, blogger account, and anything else you use that google provides. And I'm sure there will be a special app for Circles in your Google Chrme browser.
The privacy thing is what most people are interested in, but this seems to be a major advantage it has over other social networking sites.

Which is why I kinda don't want to use it, I don't particularly trust Google and I wouldn't want all my information in one company like that anyway.

#9 Jonzzon

Jonzzon

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 08:54 PM

yay anuther reson not to go out and do stuff... :D

Nah but seriusly, its enough...

#10 Short

Short

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1799 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 08:55 PM

Actually, I use social networking sites to get me going out and doing stuff. Their main function should be for putting up stuff like events and talking to people, not FarmVille. ._.

#11 Glaive

Glaive

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 409 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 09:13 PM

Besides, I can recommend a MUCH better farming game than FarmVille. Also, I have better conversations on this forum than posting on Facebook. Sad, but true.

#12 Rolin

Rolin

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1467 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 03:24 AM

Glaive said:

Privacy is good. But if it starts asking for personal info it has no business asking for, I'm NOT volunteering it. If it says I have to, I move on.

You mean like every app on Facebook? (look at what info the app/game is asking permissions to before clicking Go To App)

#13 MetalMan

MetalMan

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 08:13 AM

Oh noez i have to give google more of my personal info?

I'm pretty sure they are probably watching me on google earth right now, the amount of information they have access too is insane.

This is just another step before google takes over the world, mark my words. :P

#14 OctoberJade

OctoberJade

Whose ear

• Site Contributors
  • 1160 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 08:36 AM

MetalMan said:

This is just another step before google takes over the world, mark my words.

Perhaps I may interest you in this t-shirt:

#15 Jonzzon

Jonzzon

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 04:06 PM

Rolin said:

You mean like every app on Facebook? (look at what info the app/game is asking permissions to before clicking Go To App)

I dont use apps on facebook. :3

#16 Rolin

Rolin

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1467 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 05:23 PM

MetalMan said:

This is just another step before google takes over the world, mark my words. :P

I'm not necessarily against Google owning a lot of the technology/online market. They do a good job of up-keeping most of their stuff.
If it was any other company, sites would be down all the time.

True, having everything linked to one account means if that account gets hacked you're gonna be screwed, but Google has some pretty good security (YouTube accounts got hacked all the time before Google bought them out, now its very rare and usually the victim's fault for giving out info)