• Curse Sites
Help
- - - - -

Charr Lore - The Sire?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 Azendi

Azendi

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 03:01 PM

Hi!

I'd like to know just what the Sire is to a charr. Is this the charr whose warband the cub enters after fahrar, or is it the father of the charr?

Thank you! =)

#2 Illuvian

Illuvian

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 03:02 PM

Its pretty much the parent. I think the question implies father but not entirely sure.

#3 Vorsakan

Vorsakan

Storm Chaser

• Site Contributors
  • 3027 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 03:30 PM

Azendi said:

Hi!

I'd like to know just what the Sire is to a charr. Is this the charr whose warband the cub enters after fahrar, or is it the father of the charr?

Thank you! =)

It's the father of the charr. :)

From your wording, I expect you already know the rest of the lore - but I'll post a wiki excerpt just in case: :o

Charr on occasion mate for life, but most relationships are more casual than that. Families are recognized, but as soon a cub is weaned they enter the fahrar of one of their parents. In the fahrar they are raised as cubs within a warband and trained as a unit. The cubs are taught to unify and define their own social structure and the warband shares a root name which they incorporate into their surname. While ancestry is known and acknowledged, the parents have little to do with the raising of the cub, and as such warbands are viewed as a charr's family and the bonds of loyalty and kinship formed between them stronger than those of other races' families. Though some charr leave or change warbands, these strong bonds usually leave a deep impact on the charr; charr changing warband must change their name and fit in quickly if they are to survive.

I'm guessing they're referred to as sires rather than fathers because they don't actual perform any parental role in the traditional human sense.

@ Illuvian
The charr have been a misogynist society for centuries (maybe forever?), so it's only the father who figures in their estimation - the mother's deeds & character aren't seen as important.

#4 Illuvian

Illuvian

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 03:39 PM

Point taken. I suppose when mothers are taken off the battlefield during a few centuries of religious oppression most charr wouldn't look at his/(more recently)her mother's deeds.

One notable exception would probably be Kalla Scorchrazor (if she even had sired some cubs in the first place).

#5 Azendi

Azendi

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 03:50 PM

Vorsakan said:

It's the father of the charr. :)

From your wording, I expect you already know the rest of the lore - but I'll post a wiki excerpt just in case: :o

I'm guessing they're referred to as sires rather than fathers because they don't actual perform any parental role in the traditional human sense.

@ Illuvian
The charr have been a misogynist society for centuries (maybe forever?), so it's only the father who figures in their estimation - the mother's deeds & character aren't seen as important.

This is what I imagined, but I didn't feel like being unsure!
The warband that the cubs enter after fahrar are completely irrelevant to the warband of charr, correct?

Thanks for your help :)

#6 Doki20

Doki20

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2091 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 04:02 PM

Azendi said:

The warband that the cubs enter after fahrar are completely irrelevant to the warband of charr, correct?

Correct.
Ember Doomforge is the grandchild of Almorra Soulkeeper, yet no name-relationship.

#7 Glaive

Glaive

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 409 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 04:04 PM

Much like in Medieval European history, when a man sires, he procreates for the expressed purpose of producing a child (usually male).

As far as Charr lore goes, unlike extending royal lineage, a child is produced, ages a short while, and is then taken into a Fahrar with the purpose of entering that Charr into a warband within a Legion. From the point of the Fahrar onward, the only family that Charr knows will be it's warband. People will speak of your father (as shown in your character creation), but your blood connection is seen as lesser important to your current warband family.

#8 Azendi

Azendi

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 04:23 PM

Thank you all people, this has cleared up a lot for me!

... charr being the first race in any game I actually bother with the lore :>

#9 Arduin

Arduin

Q&A King

• Site Contributors
  • 4284 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 05:05 PM

...and you still have 4 more to delve into. Get to it!

http://www.wiki.guil.../Playable_races

#10 BrettM

BrettM

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1427 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 05:39 PM

Illuvian said:

One notable exception would probably be Kalla Scorchrazor (if she even had sired some cubs in the first place).
She couldn't have sired any cubs, as the word "sire" can only be applied to a male parent. This is a gender-specific term with no exceptions. The equivalent term for a female parent would be "dam".

#11 Versidia

Versidia

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 485 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 06:03 PM

Vorsakan said:

@ Illuvian

Only centuries. GoA:

#12 Silvaleaf

Silvaleaf

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 10:25 AM

The sire choice at the start of character creation seems to indicate a quest line where you will meet your father or have to contend with the results of his actions. I like the idea of your charr having a torured past and deep-set family issues.It gives depth to the whole thing. Hopefully this will get more people roleplaying.

#13 razor39999

razor39999

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2606 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 01:41 PM

Vorsakan said:

@ Illuvian

If Kalla or Ember heard you saying that they would gut you at the spot. The charr females have had their equal spot in society stolen by Flame Legion shamans and their oppressive rule and won it back by shaming the descendants of those shamans in a way that modern rl feminists could only dream of. The charr of GW2 today, and from all we know, the charr of any historic period other than the Flame Legion rule have been a gender equal society.