• Curse Sites
Help
- - - - -

Ranger Pet?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 Venator

Venator

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 06:43 PM

As far as I know, pet is nearly a must in GW2. I personaly like rangers with pets.. makes them more rangerish. Anyways I'm going to roll a ranger no matter if they are week or too strong.

The problem is this:
I guees the pets in this video is at low level compared to their owners, but if the class is based on how pets I would like pets to be powerfull and brutal. Not like in the original Guild Wars, where no one used pet (PvP) because they didn't do enough dmg or something ( I don't know..)

So my question is: Since Pet is more important, will they do better dmg and be more important for the rangers and their combat\tactics?

Ohh.. and sorry for bad english :p

#2 Rolin

Rolin

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1467 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 07:04 PM

The pet in GW2 is not just another body or another source of some little damage output.
In GW2, pets are like an extended weapon for the Ranger. he pet will only be as good as you are at controlling it. The videos of GW2 demos are very poor indications of whether the pets are good or not as the players only had lees than an hour to play, meaning they didn't have time to learn the complexity of pet mechanics if they tried.

#3 Cracken

Cracken

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1893 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 07:07 PM

Why do you think they're at a lower level? Because they killed that rat in 4 hits? You want to /dance while your pets does all the work?

#4 Sir Bertrand

Sir Bertrand

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 07:31 PM

First of all, your pet is always the same level as you are.

Now on the power of pets, we don't know a lot. We know there will be different kind of pets, with different focusses: some will have higher health, some will have higher damage, some will have better support skills. But as far as we've seen, they'll usually rush into melee (in the demo videos, probably not if you control them well enough), and die fairly quickly because of the focussed fire and the lack of self-heals.

I think I've seen video's where the pet hit for about the same amount of damage as the ranger, although he attacked a lot slower than his master. But remember that your pet doesn't take a slot on your skill bar, so in no case will it ever be a waste of anything to bring your pet. Resurrection is handled just as you would resurrect other players, and when you're downed you can even have your pet resurrect you. They'll also be able to use up to four skills as you level up, which you can equip on them.

Here you can see a full list of all skills equippable by your pets. Note that all these skills are unlocked when you get your pet, and you only have to unlock the skill slots as you level up.

Overall I'd say they are stronger than in GW1, and there's absolutely no penalty to taking a pet with you.

#5 Venator

Venator

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 07:33 PM

Cracken said:

Why do you think they're at a lower level? Because they killed that rat in 4 hits? You want to /dance while your pets does all the work?

lol...
Ayways.. The enemies are low levels and the player is high level to show of the skill.. That makes the pet even more poor if they need to hit a low level enemy 4 times while they are high level.. Imagen yourself killing a enemy outside Kamadan (lvl 1, 2) While you are level 20..

Sir Bertrand said:

Now on the power of pets, we don't know a lot. We know there will be different kind of pets, with different focusses: some will have higher health, some will have higher damage, some will have better support skills. But as far as we've seen, they'll usually rush into melee (in the demo videos, probably not if you control them well enough), and die fairly quickly because of the focussed fire and the lack of self-heals.

I think I've seen video's where the pet hit for about the same amount of damage as the ranger, although he attacked a lot slower than his master. But remember that your pet doesn't take a slot on your skill bar, so in no case will it ever be a waste of anything to bring your pet. Resurrection is handled just as you would resurrect other players, and when you're downed you can even have your pet resurrect you. They'll also be able to use up to four skills as you level up, which you can equip on them.

Here you can see a full list of all skills equippable by your pets. Note that all these skills are unlocked when you get your pet, and you only have to unlock the skill slots as you level up.

Overall I'd say they are stronger than in GW1, and there's absolutely no penalty to taking a pet with you.

Ahh, thanks ;)

#6 SwitchesDF

SwitchesDF

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 08:50 PM

Sir Bertrand said:

from wiki:

A pet's base health, armor, and damage are based on the level of the ranger that has bonded with it. This means that its basic abilities always match the ranger's level. In addition to this, the pet evolves over time through 20 evolution levels as the ranger gains experience while the pet is active.

it's more accurate to say the pet has 20 levels that are unrelated to player levels.