Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Help
- - - - -

Blizzard: Diablo III not shipping any time soon


This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 pumpkin pie

pumpkin pie

    Obnoxious Font Tag Abuser

  • Site Contributors
  • 4911 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 04:41 PM

Quote

"We always announce all of our games too early.  We realize that and go, 'You know what? Next time we're not going to do that.' And then we always fail at that. But I'd rather fail at that than fail at making the game great. I think it's safe to say that, yeah, [Diablo III] is not going to be out next year.

hrmz. so they are copying Guild Wars II to not lauch their game next year...

source
:p

#2 Malchior Devenholm

Malchior Devenholm

    Team Legacy Legionnaire

  • Site Contributors
  • 6591 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 04:47 PM

Hopefully no Diablo III until 2012...or Guild Wars 2 has A LOT of competition to fight...

#3 Gigashadow

Gigashadow

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 2363 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 06:34 PM

They are getting rid of the skill tree system:

http://www.escapistm...ill-Tree-System

#4 Mordakai

Mordakai

    Mordakai7

  • Community Contributors
  • 8113 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 07:29 PM

Gigashadow said:

They are getting rid of the skill tree system:

http://www.escapistm...ill-Tree-System

Good.  I hate skill trees.  "Oh, to get this really cool skill, I have to take a bunch of crappy ones?!?"

#5 HawkofStorms

HawkofStorms

    Guru's Source of Witty Banter

  • Members
  • 3101 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 07:32 PM

No duh.  Blizzard is always mindful to not have two games out in direct competition with each other.  Diablo III will be well spaced to be released after SC2.

#6 Arkantos

Arkantos

    sssssup

  • Site Contributors
  • 1222 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 05:23 AM

Blizzard indirectly said Diablo III wouldn't be released awhile ago when they said they were releasing 2 major titles next year, hinting towards SCII and Cataclysm.

Tyria, here be dragons

I wear long sleeve shirts under short sleeve shirts under long sleeve shirts


#7 Var

Var

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1313 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 06:41 AM

Arkantos said:

Blizzard indirectly said Diablo III wouldn't be released awhile ago when they said they were releasing 2 major titles next year, hinting towards SCII and Cataclysm.

Isn't SCII having its own issues with release dates as well, though?

I'd put my money on them doing something either similar to Ultima, where skills grow with use, or a full skill set/attribute break, like GWs.

Edited by Var, 04 December 2009 - 06:46 AM.


#8 Slash Beast

Slash Beast

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1240 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 06:55 AM

Var said:

Isn't SCII having its own issues with release dates as well, though?

I'd put my money on them doing something either similar to Ultima, where skills grow with use, or a full skill set/attribute break, like GWs.

Yeah SC2 beta just got pushed back again. We were supposed to already have it but that Sigaty guy announced at a russian blizzcon or w/e that beta will be next year with release in Q2.

Kinda sucks..  :qq:

#9 Var

Var

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1313 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 07:06 AM

Slash Beast said:

Yeah SC2 beta just got pushed back again. We were supposed to already have it but that Sigaty guy announced at a russian blizzcon or w/e that beta will be next year with release in Q2.

Kinda sucks..  :qq:

If beta is next year, then I do not expect a release in Q2.

This is standard Blizzard affair. They announce it, hype it, go silent about it, hype it again, delay it for three years, then release it half done or not at all, examples Vanilla WoW and Starcraft: Ghost respectively.

Look at D3, it was displayed "working" last year after how many years of hype about it? Its not been pushed back two years. SC2 has been all over for well over a year, and it also gets delayed. This is standard Actizzard.

Edited by Var, 04 December 2009 - 07:13 AM.


#10 Raxxman

Raxxman

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 245 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 02:32 PM

I think this shows that Blizzard has forgotten how to actually release games. Huge budgets need to be managed else the company free wheels, and the last game blizzard released was about 5 years ago.

#11 HawkofStorms

HawkofStorms

    Guru's Source of Witty Banter

  • Members
  • 3101 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 08:21 PM

Forgotten implies they ever knew in the first place :p

Isn't Blizzard the company that basically invented "it will be released when its finished."

#12 Mordakai

Mordakai

    Mordakai7

  • Community Contributors
  • 8113 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 09:24 PM

Raxxman said:

I think this shows that Blizzard has forgotten how to actually release games. Huge budgets need to be managed else the company free wheels, and the last game blizzard released was about 5 years ago.

I know it's only an expansion, but surely when your "expansion" sells more than most stand-alone games, it counts as a game, right?

(speaking, of course, of WotLK).

#13 Var

Var

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1313 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 10:12 PM

Mordakai said:

I know it's only an expansion, but surely when your "expansion" sells more than most stand-alone games, it counts as a game, right?

(speaking, of course, of WotLK).

Does it count if it lost them as many subscriptions as WotLK did? I wonder if that expansion did more harm than good, to be honest.

#14 Mordakai

Mordakai

    Mordakai7

  • Community Contributors
  • 8113 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 10:28 PM

Var said:

Does it count if it lost them as many subscriptions as WotLK did? I wonder if that expansion did more harm than good, to be honest.

LOL, really?  Is that taking in account the loss of Chinese servers, or is that a straight Western subscribers before WotKL and Western subs after?

(I'm no WoW lover by any means).

#15 batman

batman

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 692 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 02:00 PM

Var said:

Does it count if it lost them as many subscriptions as WotLK did? I wonder if that expansion did more harm than good, to be honest.


It did way more good. For every elitist that actually ragequitted(most just raged and only threatened to quit) because "noobz getiing stuufz forr freee" about ten casuals decided to stick with the game.

WoW is loosing subscribers though, but no doubt they'll get another big boost in numbers with the next expansion.

#16 Raxxman

Raxxman

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 245 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 02:47 PM

Mordakai said:

I know it's only an expansion, but surely when your "expansion" sells more than most stand-alone games, it counts as a game, right?

(speaking, of course, of WotLK).

I'd say theirs a very big difference between a new game, new engine, new rule set, new art styling and development, basically ground up development, and an expansion which already has a lot of the leg work done.

IMO of course.

#17 Var

Var

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1313 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 06:56 PM

batman said:

It did way more good. For every elitist that actually ragequitted(most just raged and only threatened to quit) because "noobz getiing stuufz forr freee" about ten casuals decided to stick with the game.

WoW is loosing subscribers though, but no doubt they'll get another big boost in numbers with the next expansion.

I'm pretty sure they lost a good number of casuals too. There wouldn't be enough elitists in the game to really create the large sub drop that occurred with WotlK so that means that other people dropped the game.

Its not like Naxxramas was exactly hard, even pugs in blues were clearing that place. I wouldn't be surprised if even middle ground players got bored with the lack of content on release.

#18 Olvi

Olvi

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 577 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 09:46 AM

pumpkin pie said:

hrmz. so they are copying Guild Wars II to not lauch their game next year...

source
:p

Haha, I like the way you think.

I'm starting to feel rather indifferent about this game...I don't like the graphics nor the classes. Doesn't look like the Diablo I used to know. It would seem that I get my hands on GW2 first and I'm starting to feel more and more sure that D3 will turn into one of those games I pick up after months of release when the price is lower and I have some free time to spend away from the game I mainly spend my time with...

#19 Sha Noran

Sha Noran

    Factually Opinionated

  • Members
  • 786 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 01:50 AM

I'm sorry, perhaps I'm ill-informed, but I was nearly sure that it was common knowledge that Diablo 3 was not shipping any time soon?

Blizzard is going to put out Starcraft 2 and World of Warcraft: Cataclysm before this title, so uh, yeah...

#20 Rivenheart

Rivenheart

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 01:54 AM

Sha Noran said:

I'm sorry, perhaps I'm ill-informed, but I was nearly sure that it was common knowledge that Diablo 3 was not shipping any time soon?


I felt the same, I was under the assumption that it was going to be a good while before D3 came out.