Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2916 posts
  • Profession:Ranger
  • Server:Yak’s Bend

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:35 AM

View PostGorwe, on 14 November 2012 - 11:59 PM, said:

So I was wondering...

If I should buy Diablo. I liked all predecessors and the Main target would be a healthy mix of adrenaline and Hardcore mode. Players 8(and such functions help) as does replayability as does general fun and Diablo atmosphere. So the question stands(after 1.05-which impressed me Btw):

Should I?

To be honest, I bought the trial key to see if it was worth it and the game had me hooked from there all the way until I completed normal mode. I'm slowly working my way through nightmare difficulty... it just gets a little repetitive when you have to start the whole game all over again just to get to a higher level. You have to play through the game 3 times just to get to level 60, but if you enjoy the game then that's okay. I myself find it repetitive - especially when you want to try out other classes.

I never played Diablo 1 or 2 (although I am thinking of buying Diablo 2), but I think Diablo 3 is a great game. The only real downside I can see if that it needs to be online all the time just to play, but I don't have too much of a problem with that since I'm used to playing the original Guild Wars. It would be a problem if I was travelling, though. I play it fairly casually as well (if and when I want), and I don't find the auction house to be a pain. Maybe it will be when I get to level 60. Only time will tell, but so far I'm really enjoying it.

I caved in a fair few weeks ago and bought Torchlight 2, but it didn't hold the same feel for me. Sure, there are more enemies, more loot and a bigger world, but I had no idea what I was doing or why. The story just didn't make much sense to me. Plus, you're given text walls to read in case you want to know what the story is, but it's such a turn off when you just want to play the game whilst knowing what's going on. I find Diablo 3 to be more fun, for some reason. Perhaps it's the art style or the cinematics, but I just prefer it :)

#1832 Gorwe

Gorwe

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 480 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:08 PM

Well trial won't do much(it goes up to Leoric yes?). That and always online is going to be a problem if I Crank MP to 10 on Hardcore mode right?

Oh-one more thing: Are names local or shared online? I.E. Do I have to worry that my name is taken?

Edited by Gorwe, 15 November 2012 - 12:11 PM.

#1833 RedStar

RedStar

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1793 posts
  • Location:_________________ (\__/)(\__/) (\__/)Help__ (='.'=)(='.'=)(='.'=)Allie__ (")_(")(")_(")(")_(")Bunny

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:12 PM

Nope you don't have to worry that your name will be taken.

However, names aren't that important because the name in the party window will be your account name, while your character name will only appear in chat, which can be quite confusing sometime if they are totally different.

#1834 Gorwe

Gorwe

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 480 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:45 PM

I don't care that much about multiplayer tbh...

Ok-the only thing I have to worry are the lag spikes?

#1835 Robsy128

Robsy128

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2916 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:16 PM

If you suffer from lag, there's really no point in getting this game.

#1836 Gorwe

Gorwe

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 480 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:05 PM

I don't usually...

#1837 Robsy128

Robsy128

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2916 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:15 PM

Then you should be fine :P

It's a great game. Watch some Youtube videos, play the trial, read and watch reviews and then decide from there :) As long as you're not one of those hardcore Diablo fans who expect Diablo 1 or 2 2.0 then you're fine. I haven't played either Diablo 1 or 2, but I hear a lot of people were disappointed when Diablo 3 hit the shelves.

#1838 Gorwe

Gorwe

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 480 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:13 PM

Let me put it Like this:

I want D3 to be to D2 what HoN is to DoTA. I don't want them not needed redesigns Like LoL...

In other words: A logical continuation/evolution. Not some game that just bears the brand/genre name.

#1839 Arkantos

Arkantos

sssssup

• Site Contributors
  • 1222 posts
  • Guild Tag:[SMS]
  • Server:Sea of Sorrows

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:08 PM

View PostRobsy128, on 15 November 2012 - 03:15 PM, said:

Then you should be fine :P

It's a great game. Watch some Youtube videos, play the trial, read and watch reviews and then decide from there :) As long as you're not one of those hardcore Diablo fans who expect Diablo 1 or 2 2.0 then you're fine. I haven't played either Diablo 1 or 2, but I hear a lot of people were disappointed when Diablo 3 hit the shelves.

The issue wasn't that D3 wasn't D2 2.0, it was that at release D3 was tons of steps below D2. Of course that's because D2 has had 10 years of updates, but it's still a poor excuse. D3 at launch was one of the worst AAA titles in recent years. The new devs clearly had no idea what made D2 as successful as it is, and that showed at launch. It's heaps better now than it was at release, but it still has a long way to go to be compared to D2 in the long run. D2 was a very memorable game, Blizz needs to put in more work for D3 to be like that.

Tyria, here be dragons

I wear long sleeve shirts under short sleeve shirts under long sleeve shirts

#1840 Baron von Scrufflebutt

Baron von Scrufflebutt

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 3228 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:09 AM

Holy hitlers mothers tits.
There seems to be a thing as doing too much damage.

I've been levelling my DH and the guy really has no problems since he's dealing damage that is completely insane compared to what I experienced on my other guys.  The problem is that I've been running into more and more guys who reflect damage and the guy deals so much damage that the reflected one keeps killing him. This was especially evident with the Siegebreaker where I had to switch from this build:
Posted Image
to this:
Posted Image
since he exploded pretty much instantly otherwise.

#1841 Arioch

Arioch

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 400 posts
  • Server:Ring of Fire

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:18 PM

I would just play Torchlight 2 instead. It's much better sequel to D2 then D3

#1842 Robsy128

Robsy128

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2916 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:47 PM

I need to get back into this. I've been playing a wizard on D3 and the equivalent on Torchlight 2 and whilst Torchlight 2 feels better, I still love the Diablo 3 atmosphere :D

I'm still on level 45, I think, so I need to finish nightmare and then move onto the last difficulty *gulps*

#1843 Baron von Scrufflebutt

Baron von Scrufflebutt

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 3228 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:33 PM

View PostArioch, on 12 December 2012 - 04:18 PM, said:

I would just play Torchlight 2 instead. It's much better sequel to D2 then D3

Since I have the same issue with T2 that I had with GW2 - I can't find a single class I REALLY love - I'm waiting for T2 to go on sale on Steam. I imagine it will be decent enough, especially since I loved T1, but GW2 has taught me to listen to my gut a bit more. ^^

Also:
Posted Image
Inferno done on DH.
2 more classes to go, but I might just call it quits or at least wait a few months before I try again since I just have the barbie and the ele remaining and I don't REALLY care for them, especially compared to how insanely I adore the monk and the DH.

#1844 Cutthroat

Cutthroat

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 370 posts
  • Guild Tag:[TaG]
  • Server:Gunnar’s Hold

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:17 PM

Played the game last night with a friend after a long break, and it was very fun! I continued today and beat Inferno.

Posted Image

It's amazing how super cheap everything is. Thanks botters, I guess.

#1845 Azure Skye

Azure Skye

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2077 posts
  • Profession:Mesmer
  • Guild Tag:[HEAT]
  • Server:Dragonbrand

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:13 AM

Jay Wilson stepped down from D3.

http://us.battle.net...opic/7592242994

http://kotaku.com/59...wilson-has-quit

#1846 Siomai

Siomai

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:23 AM

I wonder what train wreck their going to make to milk money from us next.

#1847 MazingerZ

MazingerZ

Golem Rider

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 2274 posts
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Guild Tag:[CYRL]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:28 PM

Two SC2 "expansions" and Titan are the only thing on deck.
It's okay to enjoy crap if you're willing to admit it's crap.
Every patch is like ArenaNet walking out onto the stage of the International Don't Kitten Up Championship, and then proceeding to shiv itself in the stomach 30 times while screaming "IT'S FOR YOUR OWN GOOD! IT'S FOR YOUR OWN GOOD!"

#1848 Lordkrall

Lordkrall

Legion Commander

• Members
  • 5370 posts
  • Profession:Warrior
  • Server:Aurora Glade

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:33 PM

View PostMazingerZ, on 18 January 2013 - 12:28 PM, said:

Two SC2 "expansions" and Titan are the only thing on deck.

And those "multiple Diablo 3 expansions".
One that will most likely be called Diablo 3 PvP edition and sell for about $60 ;)

#1849 Illein

Illein

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2039 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:37 PM

View PostAzure Skye, on 18 January 2013 - 02:13 AM, said:

Man, that's abysmal news. Not that he's gone, but that he's actually getting to hack around another project of Blizzard's.

Also sad to read that they are looking for Game Directors outside of their own hierarchical structures within the company, they should rather promote people than hire externally - but maybe they don't think the people they currently have in the Diablo III team are bringing those qualifications.

Just praying he's not working on Titan, just - please God, don't let him, of all people touch it.

#1850 MazingerZ

MazingerZ

Golem Rider

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 2274 posts
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Guild Tag:[CYRL]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:13 PM

View PostIllein, on 18 January 2013 - 01:37 PM, said:

Man, that's abysmal news. Not that he's gone, but that he's actually getting to hack around another project of Blizzard's.

Also sad to read that they are looking for Game Directors outside of their own hierarchical structures within the company, they should rather promote people than hire externally - but maybe they don't think the people they currently have in the Diablo III team are bringing those qualifications.

Just praying he's not working on Titan, just - please God, don't let him, of all people touch it.

D3 was a "success."  It made money from the box sales.  It was supposed to make more money with the RMAH, but really, how are you going to pin that on Jay Wilson in a way that lets you terminate him without incurring an ugly wrongful-termination lawsuit.

He was probably given the option to be moved internally or be removed, because it was clear that his direction was not healthy for what revenue the game was bringing in.  Feel solace that his name is sullied and he probably won't be making anywhere near what he was making as Game Director.  But they certainly couldn't fire him for performing his duties, even if he missed the target.

As far as needing to look beyond their own hierarchy... well, they're doing what any big, corporate giant does... They hire people who's job is to make a profit and everyone below them is to be as cheap a resource as possible to maximize profit.  You never cultivate talent in that respect.  The talent left Blizzard as WoW matured and Activision merged with them.

D2 team, the WoW devs who split off to form ArenaNet... etc.

There is usually very little up and coming talent in big companies like that, because they're monolithic and tend to pay people what the industry thinks they're worth, brilliant or not.

Edited by MazingerZ, 18 January 2013 - 07:13 PM.

It's okay to enjoy crap if you're willing to admit it's crap.
Every patch is like ArenaNet walking out onto the stage of the International Don't Kitten Up Championship, and then proceeding to shiv itself in the stomach 30 times while screaming "IT'S FOR YOUR OWN GOOD! IT'S FOR YOUR OWN GOOD!"

#1851 Illein

Illein

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2039 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:59 PM

View PostMazingerZ, on 18 January 2013 - 07:13 PM, said:

D3 was a "success."  It made money from the box sales.  It was supposed to make more money with the RMAH, but really, how are you going to pin that on Jay Wilson in a way that lets you terminate him without incurring an ugly wrongful-termination lawsuit.

He was probably given the option to be moved internally or be removed, because it was clear that his direction was not healthy for what revenue the game was bringing in.  Feel solace that his name is sullied and he probably won't be making anywhere near what he was making as Game Director.  But they certainly couldn't fire him for performing his duties, even if he missed the target.

As far as needing to look beyond their own hierarchy... well, they're doing what any big, corporate giant does... They hire people who's job is to make a profit and everyone below them is to be as cheap a resource as possible to maximize profit.  You never cultivate talent in that respect.  The talent left Blizzard as WoW matured and Activision merged with them.

D2 team, the WoW devs who split off to form ArenaNet... etc.

There is usually very little up and coming talent in big companies like that, because they're monolithic and tend to pay people what the industry thinks they're worth, brilliant or not.

If that were meant to build me up - it didn't quite work :(

And he should have been fired as soon as his "*ing Loser" remark hit the community. For all I care he could be head of cafeteria next, as long as it's not a position of being in charge with one of Blizzard's franchises I'm fine with it, but chances are - he'll be and if only because as you said, by numbers - D3 actually was doing well in box sales.

#1852 DreadlockrastaGW

DreadlockrastaGW

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • Guild Tag:[YoLo]

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:06 PM

View PostAzure Skye, on 18 January 2013 - 02:13 AM, said:

Thank god, he butchered probably one of my favorite series of games with the abomination that is Diablo 3. I remember him saying " we will release it when it is ready", but here we are, 8-9 months later, still no pvp, there is "dueling" in the future, but it seems even that is watered down from D2. He is a prime example of when someone puts their desires for a game over the fans desires for a game. I hope he gets fired from his new job.

However I find it terrifying that he is going to be working on another blizzard project "Wilson will move to another project at Blizzard". I just hope they keep him in the corner and use him as a human punching bag while the real directors work.

#1853 FoxBat

FoxBat

Vigil Crusader

• Members
  • 3973 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:29 PM

View PostMazingerZ, on 18 January 2013 - 07:13 PM, said:

It's the 5th best selling PC game of all time, and that was vastly beyond their expectations. I don't think any suit gave a damn about how poorly players were grafting onto the RMAH, compared to what they could make with the next expansion. In spite of fan's expectations, the majority of people picking up any Diablo box never sat with the game past a month anyway, because none of the games have much content in the first place.

If his leaving had anything to do with nerdrage on forums, it was only because the pressure got to him personally. Suits are going to follow sales numbers and metacritic as always.

Edited by FoxBat, 18 January 2013 - 10:30 PM.

#1854 Illein

Illein

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2039 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:23 AM

View PostFoxBat, on 18 January 2013 - 10:29 PM, said:

It's the 5th best selling PC game of all time, and that was vastly beyond their expectations. I don't think any suit gave a damn about how poorly players were grafting onto the RMAH, compared to what they could make with the next expansion. In spite of fan's expectations, the majority of people picking up any Diablo box never sat with the game past a month anyway, because none of the games have much content in the first place.

If his leaving had anything to do with nerdrage on forums, it was only because the pressure got to him personally. Suits are going to follow sales numbers and metacritic as always.

http://www.metacriti...e/pc/diablo-iii

I don't think I've ever seen a title with that big a budget/fellowship fall below a user score of 4 - yet here it is, 3.8 in all its glory with double as many people disliking the game than they actually like it.

Speaks volumes.

http://www.metacriti...pc/guild-wars-2
http://www.metacriti...c/torchlight-ii

Just in comparison.

#1855 Baron von Scrufflebutt

Baron von Scrufflebutt

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 3228 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:54 AM

View PostIllein, on 19 January 2013 - 02:23 AM, said:

Just in comparison.

8k vs 2k vs 1k reviews. For instance, D3 still has more positive reviews than other two games have ALL reviews.
Not only that, D3 is really getting better with the patches and a bunch of those reviews were done when the game had pretty big issues.
Lastly, look at the number of 0s these games have. Despite ALL the game's flaws, there's just no way that ANY of the 3 games you listed is EVER a 0. And D3 is just drowning in them.

The game has issues and I am REALLY glad folks were freaking out in massive numbers over them and that seemed to have been a sufficiently loud sign that things need to change and in some cases they had. The game got better because folks said it wasn't good enough.
I'd love to have this kind of bitching from GW2 users.

EDIT:
Finally got around to trying out T2 and I already gave up on it. I absolutely adore the random maps and I wish D3 had them, but I can't get into ANY of the classes. The classes seem to be as bland as the GW2 ones.
So I simply re-installed D3 and ended up trying the monster power thingy and it's actually kind of enjoyable. I love the first act but it gets super easy once you are running around with some A4 loot, so being able to have a higher difficulty in the maps I enjoy is very sweet.

Edited by Protoss, 19 January 2013 - 05:24 PM.

#1856 Lordkrall

Lordkrall

Legion Commander

• Members
  • 5370 posts
  • Profession:Warrior
  • Server:Aurora Glade

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:21 AM

And yet we still don't have that "awesome groundbreaking PvP" that we should have gotten at release :)

#1857 FoxBat

FoxBat

Vigil Crusader

• Members
  • 3973 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:14 AM

View PostIllein, on 19 January 2013 - 02:23 AM, said:

Speaks volumes.

http://www.metacriti...sts-of-pandaria

The most profitable PC game ever has a 4.3

When you sell 10 million copies of a beloved franchise you are going to piss a fair number of people off. But that's OK when you are selling 10 million copies.

#1858 Illein

Illein

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2039 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:58 PM

View PostFoxBat, on 19 January 2013 - 11:14 AM, said:

http://www.metacriti...sts-of-pandaria

The most profitable PC game ever has a 4.3

When you sell 10 million copies of a beloved franchise you are going to piss a fair number of people off. But that's OK when you are selling 10 million copies.

While that's true and of course you can't really argue the fact - it's not like people will cling onto that franchise forever "just because". If you drop the ball on too many occasions, a lot of people might just move on, as they did with Rift, TSW, Guild Wars 2 - obviously it's nothing threatening really for Blizzard yet, but you never know what the next hot thing around the corner might pull off.

I do think Blizzard's audience became increasingly more critical with their add-ons and expectations for their Titan MMO are as huge, if not more so, as they have been for Diablo 3 and a lot of people were let down there, big time.

Which is all to say: If they won't deliver quality (and in all fairness, they _usually_ do) there might be quite the shift in player numbers, turning to other franchises.

#1859 Robsy128

Robsy128

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2916 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:27 PM

So, moving on...

Any news of an expansion?
I'm not even level 60 on Diablo 3 yet, but I'm getting kind of tired of playing through the same levels on each playthrough.

#1860 FoxBat

FoxBat

Vigil Crusader

• Members
  • 3973 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:53 AM

April 2010 release forecast suggested Q2, though delaying to Q3 wouldn't surprise me at all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users