• Curse Sites
Help
- - - - -

Interview: Interview with Colin Johanson | bit-tech.net

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 Faceless

Faceless

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 395 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 05:33 PM

Link here.

Covers general introduction to those unfamiliar with the game, PvP-related questions and then some. The typos are especially amusing in this one.

Edited by KQ, 13 January 2012 - 11:51 PM.

#2 Dream Catcher

Dream Catcher

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2358 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 07:19 PM

CJ: From a sheer content perspective, volume of game space and stuff you can do, the first Guild Wars with all the expansion packs is about the same size as Guild Wars 2 will be on release – it’s massive - Colin Johansen

Thats a slightly better estimate I hope, of the amount of content and the size of the continent now.

Edited by Dream Catcher, 27 September 2011 - 07:29 PM.

#3 Clobimon

Clobimon

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1452 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 07:25 PM

That game size relation makes me happy.  There's a ton of area in all of GW so not having a drastic perceived reduction for the start of GW2 will be very nice.

#4 Nemui

Nemui

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1041 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 07:49 PM

BG: When Guild Wars 2 comes out, you would expect the players form Guild Wars to fall down to a hardcore niche. Would you be tempted to change the business model then and introduce things like micro-transactions to boost revenue?

CJ: We’ve always had micro-transactions in the first one [...]

lmao... this is just sad.

#5 Doctor Overlord

Doctor Overlord

If you hate MMOs....

• Members
  • 5200 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 10:05 PM

Detailed interview with some good questions.   While I agree with Colin that gameplay always has to take precedence over storyline, there has been a reasonable lore explanation for why new-born sylvari don't know everything.   I think he should have mentioned the 'Dream is a lake and you have only a bucket' analogy that Ree has used in the past.  

Hearing that sylvari have Arthurian influences makes sense looking at what we know of them.    Plus it's a convenient way to put in some stereotypical fantasy elements that people might want but also putting a unique twist to them since the knightly chivalry (and opposing wickedness) will be upheld by a race of plants mimicking the ideals of it.

Edited by Doctor Overlord, 28 September 2011 - 01:48 AM.

#6 Von Skleeve

Von Skleeve

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 10:52 PM

Dream Catcher said:

Quote:
CJ: From a sheer content perspective, volume of game space and stuff you can do, the first Guild Wars with all the expansion packs is about the same size as Guild Wars 2 will be on release – it’s massive - Colin Johansen

Dream Catcher said:

Thats a slightly better estimate I hope, of the amount of content and the size of the continent now.

Nice! This got me just a bit more pumped up :D

#7 Dax01

Dax01

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 12:57 AM

Barely any new info. It like old info is becoming the new info. We go like "woooow" on something we have already heard but with different words.

#8 Fast21

Fast21

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 05:20 AM

I'm glad the size of Tyria will be the size of all the expansions and campaigns combined. Tyria by itself in Guild Wars Prophecies seemed big on the world map; however, only small areas were actually explorable.

#9 Tr0n

Tr0n

Guild Wars 2 Slovenia

• Community Contributors
  • 2121 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 10:00 AM

Links/screenshot URLs not working.

#10 Faceless

Faceless

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 395 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 10:34 AM

Tr0n said:

Links/screenshot URLs not working.
Do you mean the link to the article? That still works for me.

#11 Alathaea

Alathaea

Devtracker Obsessive

• Members
  • 572 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 11:01 AM

I am definitely referring to Colin Johansen as "CJ" in my head from now on.