• Curse Sites
Help
- - - - -

Asuran Surnames.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
47 replies to this topic

#1 Default

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 330 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 11:47 PM

Is there any evidence they as a civilization actually have surnames? I just beat Eye of the North, and was trying to pay attention to the Asurans, as I plan to make all my characters of this race in GW2, and could not find a single one with a last name, or even one that mentions that they have last names. Most of the other races have a mention of last names, many even have last names themselves, but I just couldn't find any evidence that the Asurans also follow this, and am beginning to think they might not have surnames, based on the surprise that followed Gadds death, you think people would have been able to put two and two together had they heard both of their last names.

#2 Guideborn

Guideborn

Griffin

• Members
  • 1714 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 11:50 PM

Probably not. It's apparent that not all races have traditional naming.

#3 Konig Des Todes

Konig Des Todes

Manager of the Void

• Site Contributors
  • 9534 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 12:04 AM

The only thing I noticed as a reocurring theme of the Asura names is the double letters (Oola, Gadd, Vekk, Zojjar, etc.). I don't think any last names have been brought up, yet.

Durmand Priory|Library of Whispers|GuildMag
"...I received a 400-page bible document for the world..." - J.Robert King
I want. I want bad.

#4 Guideborn

Guideborn

Griffin

• Members
  • 1714 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 12:05 AM

Very observant of you. Heh.

#5 Naoroji

Naoroji

Site Contributor

• Site Contributors
  • 5495 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 12:21 AM

Konig Des Todes said:

The only thing I noticed as a reocurring theme of the Asura names is the double letters (Oola, Gadd, Vekk, Zojjar, etc.). I don't think any last names have been brought up, yet.

As well as names, generally, being short. Short as in, 5 letters or less.

#6 Feathermoore

Feathermoore

Underdog

• Super Moderators
  • 3826 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 12:34 AM

Naoroji said:

As well as names, generally, being short. Short as in, 5 letters or less.

And seemingly very sharp...staccato if I could go that far. Even Oola's name is staccatoish with a slightly less edgy of a first syllable.

#7 Default

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 330 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 03:14 AM

I'm curious if Regina or Martin could shed some light on this, as we have so little information on this subject.

Basically, in GW1, we found out how almost every other culture or races names are set up, or at least, plenty of evidence is given to us to make some assumptions on the matter, however there is nothing giving us any evidence the Asura even HAVE last names.

So I'm kind of curious what the loredevs think about this, do they have some sort of naming structure in place for Asuran last names, are they planning on using some real world example to base them on, will they make them titles ( Wrekk the Mighty ) or are they going to follow through with the first name example, and make the last names short, staccato, and generally having two of the same letter in them.

#8 Konig Des Todes

Konig Des Todes

Manager of the Void

• Site Contributors
  • 9534 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 06:12 AM

I personally don't think they'll have last names in lore - which would be a nice change from all the other races.

I want. I want bad.

#9 Crook

Crook

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1341 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 06:55 AM

Asurans are confusing as a whole. Will they keep the Aztec-Style they have.(Ex: That awesome Elementalist/Aztec-ish one of the Asuran NPc is wearing in GW1) or they will only keep the "Tech" style?

#10 Konig Des Todes

Konig Des Todes

Manager of the Void

• Site Contributors
  • 9534 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 07:10 AM

Why not keep both the Aztec and "Tech" style? In fact, that's what it seems to be - keeping both - based on the two trailers.

I want. I want bad.

#11 ShadowedSin

ShadowedSin

Seraph Guardian

• Community Contributors
  • 1997 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 10:39 AM

Not all societies have surnames. Ireland didn't have the practice till Brian Borou implemented it around 1000 AD. Most people in Japan didn't have a surname until the Mejii restoration.

I doubt that the Asura do have surnames. We've see no major Kinship ties, and they seem to be more focused on personal achievement and relation to who taught you. So I believe they until proven LACK the concept of a surname. Most likely they get a name or choose one and base most interaction upon personal merit and achievement. Insinuating oneself with a given College creates this.

Btw, I'm going to get bored by the time GW2 comes out I'll probably end up making Kinship charts for all the races if I can get the info >>

#12 Whisper

Whisper

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2052 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 01:19 PM

ShadowedSin said:

Not all societies have surnames. Ireland didn't have the practice till Brian Borou implemented it around 1000 AD. Most people in Japan didn't have a surname until the Mejii restoration.

I doubt that the Asura do have surnames. We've see no major Kinship ties, and they seem to be more focused on personal achievement and relation to who taught you. So I believe they until proven LACK the concept of a surname. Most likely they get a name or choose one and base most interaction upon personal merit and achievement. Insinuating oneself with a given College creates this.

Btw, I'm going to get bored by the time GW2 comes out I'll probably end up making Kinship charts for all the races if I can get the info >>

True no Asura we have seen as of now have a surname... Just look at Vekk and Gadd.... The two are father and son, yet nothing apart from their own interaction leads you to belive that.

#13 Feathermoore

Feathermoore

Underdog

• Super Moderators
  • 3826 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 06:07 PM

Konig Des Todes said:

Why not keep both the Aztec and "Tech" style? In fact, that's what it seems to be - keeping both - based on the two trailers.

Im sorry....but this is tooooo easy

Aztech anyone?

I like the like of Family names, I wonder how the naming system will work though. As if it requires 2 names and you want to Rp...thats a bit odd.

#14 Whisper

Whisper

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2052 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 06:27 PM

Feathermoore said:

Im sorry....but this is tooooo easy

Aztech anyone?

Ah good old Shadowrun ^^.

#15 Regina Buenaobra

Regina Buenaobra

ArenaNet

• ArenaNet
  • 578 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 10:53 PM

Hiya. :)

This is what our lore masters, Jeff Grubb and Ree Soesbee, had to say about asuran naming conventions:

Jeff:

The asura do not have last names or surnames. They may take on honorifics ("The Mighty") or titles ("Councilor"), but the nature of family is different among them (as seen by Vekk and Gadd). Their names tend to sound like a SFX from Mad Magaine (Ker-Flunk!). Male names tend to end in a consonent. Female names tend to end in a vowel.

Ree:

The asura are ‘not from around here,’ so their names do sound a little odd to human ears. Usually, their names consist of a short, sharp first name of one or two syllables (‘Vekk’). Those with two-syllable first names, particularly if the second syllable being a -a or -i (Vekka, Vekki) tend to be female – or get teased horribly in Asuran primary studies schools.

In social usage, asurans follow the human tradition of Jobname Name (‘Crew Leader Zeen’) rather than having a last name as humans would identify it. To the asurans, their job title and their krewe are the most important distinctors that one can have. It’s typical for an asura to use his krewe’s name as a last name when dealing with humans, although this can also sound funny to those used to Krytan conventions – Fivv of Universal Necrotics, or Blira of Hyperthetical Industries.

There are a few instances in the two hundred plus years between GW1 and GW2 where unconventional asura have taken on a more ‘human’ naming pattern in order to better socialize with their targets… er… friends. Those instances are rare and fairly uncommon, and other asura make a habit of conveniently ‘forgetting’ about their friend’s embarrassing eccentricity.

#16 Mordakai

Mordakai

Mordakai7

• Community Contributors
  • 8113 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 11:00 PM

Follow up question:

Will we be able to have one word character names in GW2?

#17 Naoroji

Naoroji

Site Contributor

• Site Contributors
  • 5495 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 11:06 PM

'nother follow up question;

Does Gakx sound like a real Asuran name? xD

#18 Feathermoore

Feathermoore

Underdog

• Super Moderators
  • 3826 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 11:10 PM

Naoroji said:

'nother follow up question;

Does Gakx sound like a real Asuran name? xD

Depends on how you pronounce it.

"Gaks"
"Gak"
"Gakk"
"Gax"

#19 Naoroji

Naoroji

Site Contributor

• Site Contributors
  • 5495 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 11:17 PM

Well, either the first or the last (Aren't those two pretty much the same? xD).

And just for kicks: Do you think 'Gak' and 'Gakk' are good names then? ;P

#20 Regina Buenaobra

Regina Buenaobra

ArenaNet

• ArenaNet
  • 578 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 11:30 PM

Mordakai said:

Follow up question:

Will we be able to have one word character names in GW2?

The question was answered only in the context of lore, and I'm afraid I can't answer any details on the technical aspects of naming.

#21 Default

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 330 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 12:23 AM

Whoa, thanks Regina/Jeff/Ree!

Edited by Default, 17 February 2010 - 12:29 AM.

#22 Konig Des Todes

Konig Des Todes

Manager of the Void

• Site Contributors
  • 9534 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 12:29 AM

So my guess was right, no surnames. ^^

Based on what Ree said, I guess there was more than one reason why Oggy was teased.

And I wonder if "Universal Necrotics" and "Hyperthetical Industries" are in the game, or just made up on the spot.

Also, merged this thread with the older thread of the same title.

I want. I want bad.

#23 Sha Noran

Sha Noran

Factually Opinionated

• Members
  • 786 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 01:00 AM

Regina delivers! Awesome, they actually check this stuff and contribute when possible. I'm more than pleased about that alone.

#24 TriggerSad

TriggerSad

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2292 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 01:35 AM

This is making me rethink the name I was originally going to use. Oh well... FTW I was thinking of using the name "Zekku," as the name for my male Asura.... Ain't I smart...?
I could go with "Zekk," but that just feels like I'm copying...

Now, on the subject of last names... I was going to use a surname that didn't follow these guidelines... I guess I'll have to rethink it once we get more information on crews, or any thing else that could be used as a part of an Asuran name.

Zekku Sensata... Weirdest and most girly male Asura ever... Yay...?

#25 Sha Noran

Sha Noran

Factually Opinionated

• Members
  • 786 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 01:58 AM

It's really, really likely that Regina's provided information will apply only to NPC Asura.

You can probably name your Asura "Omgi Pwnusohard" if you want, or whatever. They aren't going to restrict player names to follow lore very closely... that never happens, lol.

#26 Malchior Devenholm

Malchior Devenholm

Team Legacy Legionnaire

• Site Contributors
  • 6591 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 02:56 AM

Sha Noran said:

It's really, really likely that Regina's provided information will apply only to NPC Asura.

You can probably name your Asura "Omgi Pwnusohard" if you want, or whatever. They aren't going to restrict player names to follow lore very closely... that never happens, lol.

Of course they won't restrict us to lore :D  But with Guild Wars 2 being persistent and offering the racial conflicts and stories, more people are looking into RPing Guild Wars 2 :)

#27 TriggerSad

TriggerSad

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2292 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 03:59 AM

Well, I won't RP (If by RPing you mean I'm actually going to pretend that I'm living my character's life), but I like giving my characters names that fit with their culture. Having an Asuran name for my Asura would be neat to have.

#28 ShadowedSin

ShadowedSin

Seraph Guardian

• Community Contributors
  • 1997 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 05:14 AM

Interesting that's actually what I thought they would emphasize. Actually that is what I thought they would! Thinking about it seems this game actually has a culture aspect to it not found in some games.

The fact that they place more interest in their krewe or non-family connections seems to be to show an importance in how well one's work is receive. This also plays into the usage of honorifics. I would hazard to guess that Asura Kinship is much more different than how we humans in the West of the the world see things.

#29 Drogon

Drogon

Fire & Blood

• Site Contributors
  • 2711 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 10:20 AM

And I wonder if "Universal Necrotics" and "Hyperthetical Industries" are in the game, or just made up on the spot.

First thing that came to my mind was that they are in the game and that Ree used those to give us some 'extra' info. I could be wrong though. :P

#30 Ravious

Ravious

KillTenRats

• Community Contributors
  • 698 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 01:25 PM

Regina Buenaobra said:

Hiya. :)

This is what our lore masters, Jeff Grubb and Ree Soesbee, had to say about asuran naming conventions:

Jeff:

Ree:

Neat! Thanks, Regina!