• Curse Sites
Help
- - - - -

How do i know if a Graphics Card will work on my computer?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jrumor

Jrumor

Pale Tree Seedling

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 08:49 PM

Hey everybody, hoping someone here can help me out here. Recently my computer has been turning off 5-10 minutes into playing any kind of game. A downloaded MSI Afterburner to watch the temperatures of my graphics card, Sure enough it was steadily climbing (110-120 degrees) until the comp would shut it self off.

I've tried drivers and all that and I'm thinking of buying a new card, will probably need it so that I can see GW2 in all its glory. So my problem is I am not sure what card would fit into my computer, I have been told that my model is hard to find ungrades for.

My computer:  Intel® Core™2 Quad CPU   Q8200  @2.33GHz (4 CPUs)
Video card:    ATI Radeon  HD 4600 Series

And its a Gateway computer.

Thanks for the help!

#2 kluugw2

kluugw2

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 09:06 PM

you need a PCI-E slot if you were to upgrade your video card.  check if you have one.  its usually a blue or brown slot.

how about your power supply?

#3 The Comfy Chair

The Comfy Chair

The best at space

• Members
  • 5330 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:03 PM

Sounds like the fan has died on the card, or the fan is having major issues with dust.

Also, it will be a PCI-E slot :) in which case your simplest direct upgrade is a hd6670, which means you won't need a new power supply. It'd cost around £60 and run gw2 on high at 1366x768 and medium at 1920x1080.

If you want to get something a bit more powerful you'll need a new power supply, which would take total upgrade cost (assuming a hd6870 for the gpu) to around £180.

Edited by The Comfy Chair, 27 January 2012 - 10:06 PM.

#4 Quaker

Quaker

Technician

• Technicians
  • 3242 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 04:16 PM

Before you go buying a new graphics card, have you opened up the machine and cleaned the dust out? If the video card has a fan on it, does it run properly (it should be a 'blur' when running) - after you've cleaned the dust out?
If the fan has stopped working you may be able to replace it, but it may be simpler just to replace the whole card as Comfy says.

#5 Elder III

Elder III

Technician

• Technicians
  • 4424 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 07:02 PM

Buy a thing of canned air at your local WalMart or some place like Best Buy, it should cost $5 or so...  Take the side panel off your case and blast all the dust bunnies out of there.  I recommend taking your case outside or somewhere that you don't mind having all the dust floating around.  In some situations a simple cleaning can lower your temps a ton. ;)