GW2 Skill Tooltips
Posted 02 February 2012 - 03:28 AM
Project site: http://tooltips.flame-throwing.com/
It uses the official wiki to populate the skill data for the tooltips so there's no duplicate data building efforts.
Just drop a script tag in and it will work on links with wiki.guildwars2.com hrefs and you can also add it to arbitrary elements with a gw2tooltip class. More details are on the website.
A note about the tooltip look. I tried to make it resemble the tooltips I've seen in game as best I could from vids on Youtube.
Posted 03 February 2012 - 03:49 PM
I was pleasantly surprised to see that your syndication PARTIALLY works by using url/link bb code, it gives more flexibility and covers a wider range of users.
Edited by Floryn, 03 February 2012 - 05:10 PM.
after more tests, a post edit was needed.
Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:20 AM
What did you mean by "partially"? Maybe we can fix that.
Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:55 PM
The above is not quite an issue for me, I have my own tooltips with icons that I can call via jquerry/fancybox, but it would be nice to save bandwidth by feeding directly from the wiki.
(there shouldn't be any compatibility issues caused by my other jquery scripts, I run torhead tooltip syndication on SWTOR section and yg syndication on our AoC page).
Edited by Floryn, 06 February 2012 - 09:23 PM.
Posted 07 February 2012 - 04:26 PM
Posted 07 February 2012 - 07:36 PM
Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:44 PM
Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 503 (Service Unavailable)Similar error was returned in FireFox 10.
I am guessing some server side restrictions are the cause of this (your host: ZERIGO.NET seems to have some issues with EU nodes).
If this service becomes very popular my suggestion would be to use a service similar to Cloudflare (they offer a free CDN) to cache your js scripts and feed them to users based on their location.
Later edit: Check Jump Shot (5th row) display anomaly -it picks up the references.
Edited by Floryn, 08 February 2012 - 03:38 AM.
Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:16 PM
I also made all child elements of the tooltip anchor trigger the the tooltip as well.
Next update: fixing that ugly ref in Jump Shot.
Posted 15 February 2012 - 02:37 AM
Only this bit bugs me currently:
I know it is just a traffic analytic tool, but sometime it slows the page load.
Here are my reasons for going with this tooltip syndication instead of a traditional database syndication:
- data is pulled directly from gw2wiki (more flexible and faster updates, from my experience managing several MMORPG sites);
- no broken links if you decide to *uninstall*/remove this tooltip syndication METHOD (basically your tooltips will be displayed as normal links to a wiki reference);
- it can be installed and work in parallel with other tooltip syndication, such as gw2-db.com;
- it works without using html code (on sites with a decent understanding of security, html posting is usually restricted to special userclasses) with simple bb codes such as [ link ] [/ link ] or [ url ] [ / url]
- jQuerry jQuery and yes jQuery;
Now of course that there are still things that need to be polished and I will continue to post them if you aren't bothered, when the time permits me.
Edited by Floryn, 15 February 2012 - 03:28 AM.
Posted 15 February 2012 - 02:18 PM
I do want to point out for non-jQuery fans that it does use jQuery BUT it encapsulates and includes its own version (if needed) so that it doesn't interfere with whatever your favorite js lib is. So having jQuery already in use is not required.
Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:06 AM
Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:42 PM
Posted 18 May 2012 - 07:10 AM
In either case, great work so far.
Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:47 PM
Other than the problem with images/cds/icons not showing this looks great every update.
Thank you very much for making this Tooltip js. Best out there ^^
Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:48 PM
According to w3schools.com:
- If async="async": The script is executed asynchronously with the rest of the page (the script will be executed while the page continues the parsing)
- If async is not present and defer="defer": The script is executed when the page has finished parsing
- If neither async or defer is present: The script is fetched and executed immediately, before the browser continues parsing the page
Hope this helps others with similar issue. I'm not such a big expert but it did the trick for me.
Edited by Floryn, 23 June 2012 - 11:54 PM.
Posted 21 September 2012 - 03:21 PM
Basically it converts text like this: [Water Blast] into icon with description.
gw2BBCode.jpg 32.32KB 7 downloads
I've prepared some examples: http://gw2bbcode.pl/
also if you're interested in sources you can find them on gitHub: https://github.com/twerno/gw2BBCode
Feel free to use it in your web page
Edited by Damra_PL, 21 September 2012 - 06:57 PM.
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users