• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 cuth

cuth

GW2 Addict, Flame Throwing

• Community Contributors
  • 37 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 03:28 AM

So I just noticed riven dropped GW2BBCode on us a few days ago. I've been working on a tooltip project for GW2 as well. I had no idea another project existed. Maybe in the future we can collaborate :)

Project site: http://tooltips.flame-throwing.com/

It uses the official wiki to populate the skill data for the tooltips so there's no duplicate data building efforts.

Just drop a script tag in and it will work on links with wiki.guildwars2.com hrefs and you can also add it to arbitrary elements with a gw2tooltip class. More details are on the website.

A note about the tooltip look. I tried to make it resemble the tooltips I've seen in game as best I could from vids on Youtube.

#2 cuth

cuth

• Community Contributors
  • 37 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 03:01 PM

Looks like it's been implemented on a couple of sites. dragonseason.com for one.

Please let me know if you've dropped it into a site. I'd love to see it out there.

#3 Floryn

Floryn

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 113 posts
  • Guild Tag:[BoB]
  • Server:Gunnar’s Hold

Posted 03 February 2012 - 03:49 PM

Well the challenge I was  throwing at most of the people who tried to do a GW2 tooltip syndication database, was   the usage of bb code [ url ][ /url ] or [ link ] [ /link ].  As I explained in another thread all these tooltip syndication are great and easy to use by administrators such as myself, but   are not so good for normal users because on any decent website posting html is restricted to special classes/admins, making it impossible for the average  Doe to use this in forums/comments.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that your syndication PARTIALLY works  by using url/link  bb code, it gives more flexibility  and covers a wider range of users.

Edited by Floryn, 03 February 2012 - 05:10 PM.
after more tests, a post edit was needed.

#4 cuth

cuth

• Community Contributors
  • 37 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:20 AM

Yeah, it should work just based on the link provided, as long as it is to wiki.guildwars2.com

What did you mean by "partially"? Maybe we can fix that.

#5 Floryn

Floryn

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:55 PM

Not every skill gets the syndication, here is a table directly pulled from gw2wiki into our forum, you can check how many skills get syndicated (from rifle down none work).

The above is  not quite an issue for me, I have my own tooltips with icons that I can call via jquerry/fancybox, but it would be nice to save bandwidth by feeding directly from the wiki.

(there shouldn't be any compatibility issues caused by my other jquery scripts, I run torhead tooltip syndication on SWTOR section and yg syndication on our AoC page).

Edited by Floryn, 06 February 2012 - 09:23 PM.

#6 cuth

cuth

• Community Contributors
  • 37 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 04:26 PM

Thanks Floryn. This page is perfect for me to make sure all the skills work. I'll take a look at it as soon as I can.

#7 cuth

cuth

• Community Contributors
  • 37 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 07:36 PM

I made an update today. One of the skills was breaking and every skill after that wouldn't load. I made an update to correct that. Some of them still don't load, but they don't break all of the other ones.

#8 Floryn

Floryn

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:44 PM

It is better now, didn't replied earlier because I didn't managed to test it. After flushing the cache from Cloudflare,  Chrome returned this error regarding the js tool tip script:

Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 503 (Service Unavailable)
Similar error was returned in FireFox 10.

I am guessing some server side restrictions are the cause of  this (your host: ZERIGO.NET seems to have some issues with EU nodes).

ps
If this service becomes very popular my suggestion would be to use a service similar to Cloudflare (they offer a free CDN) to cache your js scripts and feed them to users based on their location.

Later edit: Check Jump Shot (5th row) display anomaly -it picks up the references.

Edited by Floryn, 08 February 2012 - 03:38 AM.

#9 cuth

cuth

• Community Contributors
  • 37 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:16 PM

I made another update today, fixing the way the wiki links looked.

I also made all child elements of the tooltip anchor trigger the the tooltip as well.

Next update: fixing that ugly ref in Jump Shot.

#10 Floryn

Floryn

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 02:37 AM

Each update makes it look better and better.

Only this bit bugs me currently:

// gauges
	  var _gauges = _gauges || [];
		(function() {
		  var t   = document.createElement('script');
		  t.type  = 'text/javascript';
		  t.async = true;
		  t.id	= 'gauges-tracker';
		  t.setAttribute('data-site-id', '4f28143e844d523e33000012');
		  t.src = '//secure.gaug.es/track.js';
		  var s = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0];
		  s.parentNode.insertBefore(t, s);
		})();
	});
});

I know it is just a traffic analytic tool, but sometime it slows the page load.

Here are my reasons for going with this  tooltip syndication instead of a traditional database syndication:

• data is pulled directly from gw2wiki (more flexible and faster updates, from my experience managing several MMORPG sites);
  • no broken links if you decide to *uninstall*/remove this tooltip syndication METHOD (basically your tooltips will be displayed as normal links to a wiki reference);
  • it can be installed  and work in parallel with other tooltip syndication, such as gw2-db.com;
  • it works without using html code (on sites with a decent understanding of security, html posting is usually restricted to special userclasses)   with simple bb codes such as [ link ] [/ link ] or [ url ] [ / url]  
  • jQuerry jQuery and yes jQuery;

Now of course that there are still things that need to be polished and I will continue to post them  if you aren't bothered,  when the time permits me. ;)

Edited by Floryn, 15 February 2012 - 03:28 AM.

#11 cuth

cuth

• Community Contributors
  • 37 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 02:18 PM

I'm not even using gauges now, it didn't give me the real data I wanted, so I'll rip that out today.

I do want to point out for non-jQuery fans that it does use jQuery BUT it encapsulates and includes its own version (if needed) so that it doesn't interfere with whatever your favorite js lib is. So having jQuery already in use is not required.

#12 Symbiont

Symbiont

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2708 posts
  • Guild Tag:[NULL]

Posted 26 February 2012 - 06:47 PM

woot! i'm supportive for this kind of tool!

#13 Vevix

Vevix

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • Guild Tag:[RUIN]
  • Server:Eredon Terrace

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:06 AM

I wish i knew about this before I did my own tooltips for my site =(! I may switch over to these!

#14 Floryn

Floryn

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:42 PM

Now that we have the "Like" system we can express the gratitude for this handy tool, which I am still using by the way (currently in  conjunction with the new syndication from gw2g). Hopefully the lack of replies and alternative syndication tools, didn't stopped you from continuing to improve this. ;)

#15 Freelancer

Freelancer

Team Legacy

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 641 posts
  • Guild Tag:[TL]
  • Server:Isle of Janthir

Posted 18 May 2012 - 07:10 AM

I've been using this on Team Legacy for a little bit now, and would love to see further work on it. I noticed some skills will not show an image, or the cooldowns, while others do?

In either case, great work so far.
ArenaJunkies Editor || www.twitch.tv/fr3elancer Streamer || Tales Of Tyria Co-Host

#16 Gwen

Gwen

Pale Tree Seedling

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Guild Tag:[CaLM]

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:47 PM

Been using this JS since its release, absolutely love it.  Even made a thread on our host (Enjin) forums so others can enjoy it and thankfully someone added in some more code so instead of linking we just use #{Skill Name}.

Other than the problem with images/cds/icons not showing this looks great every update.
Thank you very much for making this Tooltip js.  Best out there ^^

#17 Floryn

Floryn

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:48 PM

Sometime the script has difficulties loading causing my page to "hang" for few seconds  which is ofcourse unacceptable for me -) . A quick solution to that was to add the async parameter (I know that is not supported by Internet Shitxplorer) long story short, I changed
<script src="http://tooltips.flame-throwing.com/javascripts/tooltips.js"></script>
into:
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://tooltips.flame-throwing.com/javascripts/tooltips.js" async="async"></script>

According to w3schools.com:

• If async="async": The script is executed asynchronously with the rest of the page (the script will be executed while the page continues the parsing)
  • If async is not present and defer="defer": The script is executed when the page has finished parsing
  • If neither async or defer is present: The script is fetched and executed immediately, before the browser continues parsing the page

Hope this helps  others with similar issue. I'm not such a big expert but it did the trick for me.

Edited by Floryn, 23 June 2012 - 11:54 PM.

#18 eviator

eviator

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 447 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 12:11 AM

Cool man, very nice!

#19 Six

Six

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 06:26 PM

is this not being updated anymore? :"(

#20 Damra_PL

Damra_PL

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 4 posts
  • Guild Tag:[Gold]
  • Server:Blacktide

Posted 21 September 2012 - 03:21 PM

Hi guys.
I've decided to go public with javascript plugin i've made for my guild.
Basically it converts text like this: [Water Blast] into icon with description.
Attached File  gw2BBCode.jpg   32.32K   7 downloads

I've prepared some examples: http://gw2bbcode.pl/
also if you're interested in sources you can find them on gitHub: https://github.com/twerno/gw2BBCode

Feel free to use it in your web page :D

Edited by Damra_PL, 21 September 2012 - 06:57 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users