• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#31 Arngrim Einheri

Arngrim Einheri

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2875 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:13 AM

What is so good about their quests? Never played Runescape.

#32 Corsair

Corsair

Is trivia

• Super Moderators
  • 5470 posts
  • Server:Sea of Sorrows

Posted 23 December 2012 - 06:45 AM

Last I remember, there were no kill x of y. All the quests had lore basis in the game and had different activities and things required for you to complete them. One required me to help an in game Romeo and Juliet escape together. Another had me dying Goblin armor. And yet another had me go into a haunted house.

Their quest system was the only interesting thing they had, and it was relatively good. Too bad combat is so flat.

Yo Ho Ho and a bottle of rum

Have a moderation related issue or just want to chat? Send me a PM.

Gipsy Danger reporting for duty!

#33 Milennin

Milennin

Vigil Crusader

• Members
  • 3670 posts
  • Guild Tag:[TB]
  • Server:Gandara

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:59 PM

View PostArngrim Einheri, on 23 December 2012 - 12:13 AM, said:

A lot of the quests are like puzzles. You are presented with problems that you have to solve in creative ways, often through the use of obscure items out in the world. It's also presented more in the way of a dialogue between NPCs and your character rather than the block of texts you get in traditional MMO's. This gives a lot of NPCs in the world their own personalities and backgrounds.
Sometimes there's quests that require combat, but then it presents you with a unique challenge you don't find anywhere else in the game. Like one quest where you have to solve a puzzle that spans across three floors in a temple and you are under constant attack of fairly powerful monsters.
I'd say the quests are easily the best part of RuneScape, and by far the best I've seen in an MMO.

Edited by Milennin, 23 December 2012 - 03:01 PM.

#34 Arngrim Einheri

Arngrim Einheri

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2875 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:24 PM

^
^
hmm that sounds interesting, hope they could translate that feel into other MMOrpg's

#35 Helliion

Helliion

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 276 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 04:36 AM

runescape is my first computer game. Maybe that is why I enjoyed it so much. I spent like hours fishing in draynor village and killing those dark wizards over and over LMAO. It seem so fun back then. Now, nothing gives me that feeling anymore. :(

#36 klhyatt

klhyatt

Fahrar Cub

• New Members
  • 14 posts
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:53 PM

I used to love runescape when i was young, when a sub fee cost me about £2 ish a month. and you could get rich from selling colorful gloves and giant bones... and men could wear dresses...

#37 Milennin

Milennin

Vigil Crusader

• Members
  • 3670 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:33 PM

View Postklhyatt, on 05 January 2013 - 10:53 PM, said:

I used to love runescape when i was young, when a sub fee cost me about £2 ish a month. and you could get rich from selling colorful gloves and giant bones... and men could wear dresses...

The infamous bald men wearing dwarven shorts and top, flowers and rainbow boots who ask to be your gf. :D

Edited by Milennin, 06 January 2013 - 04:33 PM.

#38 Lord Azazel

Lord Azazel

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 402 posts
  • Guild Tag:[GSCH]
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:53 AM

Runescape was killed by the release of Evolution of Combat, Not only did it killed the game that most of us know and love. But hundreds of people told Jagex not to do it and they still did it. The combat system is horrid now, Weakness for creatures, Action bar that is a poor clone of a bar used in guild wars 2 or other games. That and they took out legendary quests and replaced them with horrid ones. Jagex has the worst holiday events that make you want to puke, Hence the last one was a chirstmas one and it was cannon everything cant get any drops.

The Runescape of the old is dead and I witiness this downfall by playing it for 3 months and now i see it has gone downhill. Jagex does not care about its customers and it slowly killing the game by making it a copy of other mmos, Why changed a sytem that works ?. Apparently to fit in which only made the game worse.

#39 RAD

RAD

Indecisive

• Moderators
  • 542 posts
  • Server:Sorrow’s Furnace

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:00 AM

Runescape was super fun for me back in middle school with the dragon fire shield and all that jazz. It was the first game of its kind I ever played and while I actually do log in on it when Im bored out of my mind, I never really do anything for it anymore. I had gone 1015 days without logging in at one point :) I think it was good then but with what there is now it just got left in the dust. Although even though the graphics look like... well bad, I still kinda like em I dunno why

Edited by RAD, 07 January 2013 - 08:01 AM.

Something on your mind? Question about Moderation or anything else? Talk to Me.

#40 Milennin

Milennin

Vigil Crusader

• Members
  • 3670 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:05 AM

View PostLord Azazel, on 07 January 2013 - 07:53 AM, said:

Runescape was killed by the release of Evolution of Combat, Not only did it killed the game that most of us know and love. But hundreds of people told Jagex not to do it and they still did it. The combat system is horrid now, Weakness for creatures, Action bar that is a poor clone of a bar used in guild wars 2 or other games. That and they took out legendary quests and replaced them with horrid ones. Jagex has the worst holiday events that make you want to puke, Hence the last one was a chirstmas one and it was cannon everything cant get any drops.

I haven't played the game for a while now, but looking at the new combat thing, I'd have to say I'll agree that it wasn't a wise choice of them. It looks like they try to go more the way of the traditional MMO now. The problem is that their game engine doesn't support it very well (it's slow, feels sluggish, unresponsive compared to regular MMO's), so now they've basically turned their combat into a inferior system of what we have in regular MMO's, while ditching one of the truly unique and classic things of RuneScape. You have to wonder what kind of audience they're shooting for with this update.
I'd guess people into more traditional MMO's still would prefer, well... the regular traditional MMO with better gameplay over RuneScape's. While the people who played RuneScape for what it was (while not being great, you can't say it wasn't different than any other MMO out there) are now being alienated from the game they once liked.
Personally I liked the old RuneScape combat system, not because it was great or awesome or fun, but because it fit in with the rest of the game, and it allowed me to multi-task other things on my PC while doing combat, or any other activity ingame for that matter.

This is a trend I saw coming some years ago when I was still playing. Just little changes that took away the more unique and special things about RuneScape and turn them into stuff that people from other MMO's are more familiar with.

Edited by Milennin, 07 January 2013 - 09:07 AM.

#41 Gilles VI

Gilles VI

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 3311 posts
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Guild Tag:[ICE]
  • Server:Far Shiverpeaks

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:15 AM

View PostArngrim Einheri, on 23 December 2012 - 12:13 AM, said:

You needed brains.

Let me explain one of their easiest quests for lvl10 or so.

A drunk pirate had buried a treasure and had a map about where he hid it, but he wanted a bottle of special rum first.
The bottle of special rum was only available on an island, so you travel there.
Then you see there is a non-trading limit on the island, some stuff is forbidden to trade, including this bottle of rum, every time you try to take the boat they will confiscate it.
But then you see a banana plantage, if you talk to the npc he will say they often ship crates of bananas to a cooking shop in the port where this drunk pirate is.
So you put the bottle of rum in one of the crates, and then fill it up with other bananas so it will be shipped.

Then go back to the port, find the cooking shop, find the crate and get the rum.
Go talk to the pirate, get the map.
Then the map only has 2 sentences on it "something about a cross in a park in a town".
Go to the town, go to the park and there is no cross.
Watch your minimap and notice the park is layed out in a cross, follow the "4 steps south, 3 east" thing and dig up the chest with a spade.

Every quest was like this, with special crafting recipes you needed to think of yourself, stuff to combine,....
Ofcourse you could use guides but then nothing is fun.
RS had the most amazing quests in a MMO ever (mostly because they weren't the primary levelling mechanism in the game, contrary to most MMO's)

#42 Milennin

Milennin

Vigil Crusader

• Members
  • 3670 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:59 PM

View PostGilles VI, on 07 January 2013 - 09:15 AM, said:

RS had the most amazing quests in a MMO ever (mostly because they weren't the primary levelling mechanism in the game, contrary to most MMO's)

It was nice that a lot of quests had unique rewards too. Like unlocking new areas, monsters, items to use etc.

#43 klhyatt

klhyatt

Fahrar Cub

• New Members
  • 14 posts
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:04 PM

View PostMilennin, on 06 January 2013 - 04:33 PM, said:

The infamous bald men wearing dwarven shorts and top, flowers and rainbow boots who ask to be your gf. :D
could you get married in the game? i cant remember a thing. oh apart from being able to change your gender by talking to a strange old man... in a shed... in the middle of nowhere..
Part of me really wants to play again... :P

#44 Gilles VI

Gilles VI

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 3311 posts
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Guild Tag:[ICE]
  • Server:Far Shiverpeaks

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:06 PM

View PostMilennin, on 07 January 2013 - 04:59 PM, said:

It was nice that a lot of quests had unique rewards too. Like unlocking new areas, monsters, items to use etc.

Yea I remember doing dragon slayer as a F2P and unlocking that small area with the lesser demons.
I was like WOOOAAAAH :P (note I was only 9-10 at the time)

And then as a Member you had much more stuff like that, like the elven quests, and morytania ones with the vampyres and the rebels, ah good old times :P

View Postklhyatt, on 07 January 2013 - 05:04 PM, said:

could you get married in the game? i cant remember a thing. oh apart from being able to change your gender by talking to a strange old man... in a shed... in the middle of nowhere..
Part of me really wants to play again...

No you couldn't, but it was fun stalking people like that.. :P

#45 Milennin

Milennin

Vigil Crusader

• Members
  • 3670 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:13 PM

View Postklhyatt, on 07 January 2013 - 05:04 PM, said:

Part of me really wants to play again... :P

Naw, not officially,but people liked to roleplay getting married in churches, lol. I remember seeing some, funny stuff.xD

#46 btraill

btraill

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:30 PM

I still pay my 6 or so bucks a month and craft/train skills till this day. The game has received some very nice updates and continues to do so... It's just one of those games that gets better and better. (In my opinion)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users