Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Help
- - - - -

GURU: Guilds in Guild Wars 2


This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
61 replies to this topic

#1 Khalija

Khalija

    Leaf on the Wind

  • Administrators
  • 4176 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:03 PM

Posted Image


One of the first things that I looked for after joining the ArenaNet-created guild for the press (Heroes of Tyria [HOT]) is if guild functionality was in. I am happy to announce that yes, yes it was. That’s right, folks. Today marks the day that we can finally put the Guild into Guild Wars 2.

The first thing that you see when you open the guild tab -- if you currently aren’t representing a guild -- is the Guild Join screen. It shows a brief explanation of what a guild is and lists all of the guilds that you have been invited to. Even if you haven’t accepted an invite, they will still be listed under the Account Guilds drop-down menu. From there you can choose between representing the guild, ignoring the invite and permanently leaving it/removing the invitation.

Once you’ve chosen to represent a guild, you will start to gain influence as you play. The more you socialize and group with your guild during leveling and other activities, the more influence your guild can gain. For instance, the last time [HOT] received influence was when people completed events, engaged in PvP and did soloed content -- nine events were completed for 189 influence, one PvP match was won for 110 influence, and 37 solo activities gave the guild 82 influence.

“But what is influence good for?” you ask. A lot. Below the Roster tab is the Upgrades tab and within it you have four different categories: Politics, Art of War, Economy, and Architecture. Politics represents things such as PvE influence gain buffs, guild emblems, guild armor and weapon contracts and guild party items. Art of War is pretty self-explanatory -- you’ll find WvW buffs and WvW and Structured PvP influence gain buffs, less-costly siege weaponry and suits. Right now there are few upgrades for Economy, but they’re still highly useful for a growing guild. This tree houses your karma, experience, magic find and gathering buffs. Last but not least, we have Architecture. Architecture represents the bones of your guild, the upgrades that truly support your guild no matter what stage of growth you are in. They are things such as your guild bank, bank expansions and the ability to build more than one upgrade at a time.

That’s right, a build queue. Each upgrade takes a certain amount of time to build, ranging from 16 hours to one week. Not to fret, though. If you’re willing to pay the price, you can reduce the build time by 25% for a good chunk of guild influence. If you find yourself a little light on influence, you can always hit up the Guild Promoter in each major city. He’ll sell you some booze to “donate” to the inhabitants of Tyria. How many citizens you influence? How much gold do you have? 100 gold can net you 10,000 influence if you’re willing to spend it.

I know it’s a lot of information to take in, but I can almost guarantee we’ll be seeing more added before Guild Wars 2’s release. Not only will we see the list of upgrades fleshed out, but there’s also things like guild capes to think about. In fact, I’m crossing my fingers for an assortment of styles such as capes like in Guild Wars, hooded cloaks, tabards and sashes. What kind of guild-related things are you hoping for?

From today's Reddit AMA:

Quote

[–]ArenaNetTeam[S] 1 point 13 seconds ago

We dont have cloaks, but you can put a guild emblem on your armor and weapons!

Source: http://www.reddit.co...r/ArenaNetTeam/

zi6GAbVATOA


(And yes, those are vendors sitting outside the Ascalon Catacombs dungeon.)

Edit: bsoltan was kind enough to create screenshots taken from the video itself: http://imgur.com/a/e9cCK#0

With all this new information, we thought it was the perfect time to open up our very own Guild Recruitment forums. And, as always, make sure you check out the stickies before posting!

Feel free to PM me if you have a question regarding moderation, want to leave some feedback, or just want to chat!


#2 Bulldog

Bulldog

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 631 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:15 PM

WOW, nice great vid Kvinna lots of info.  I need to watch the video several times so much stuff for guilds to build.  Did I see right that you can upgrade keeps in WvW through you're guild?  :D

#3 Arioch

Arioch

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:34 PM

*hugs* My day is made

#4 Amoner

Amoner

    Pale Tree Seedling

  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:39 PM

Awesome news, thanks for taking time to cover this topic, I was worried that it would be overlooked

#5 Kuchiki

Kuchiki

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 02:43 PM

Awesome topic. Very pleased about the guild sistem

#6 Moonfang

Moonfang

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 04:12 PM

Wow, just wow.
Its everything I could have wished for and even more.

*sight* just a few more months. Than the real fun wel start.

#7 Avathor

Avathor

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 04:47 PM

Avathor is happy! Very very happy!! :)))   Avathor go cry a bit now, time is closing in :)

#8 Jesse

Jesse

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 04:57 PM

Awesome guild info, exactly what I was hoping for after this closed beta weekend.

I was thinking about something interesting regarding this system tho. It looks like big guilds of 100-150 people gain influence very fast. But are small guilds of 20-30 people also able on gaining the same amount of influence ? If anyone got more info about this that would be nice, I am a little bit worried about this part.

#9 Dratyan

Dratyan

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 701 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:10 PM

Kvinna said:

Art of War is pretty self-explanatory -- you’ll find WvW and Structured PvP buffs and influence gains, less-costly siege weaponry and suits.

I'm more of a PvE person and I don't usually b*tch about these kind of things, but can you elaborate on those buffs? Can you get them using other methods? Are they mostly cosmetic? Or will they simply benefit those that are part of a guild good/big enough to purchase them, thus giving the members an advantage over the rest of the PvP players?

#10 Arioch

Arioch

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:13 PM

Jesse said:

Awesome guild info, exactly what I was hoping for after this closed beta weekend.

I was thinking about something interesting regarding this system tho. It looks like big guilds of 100-150 people gain influence very fast. But are small guilds of 20-30 people also able on gaining the same amount of influence ? If anyone got more info about this that would be nice, I am a little bit worried about this part.

As the future guild leader of a F&F guild, I have much the same concerns. Although I assume that smaller guilds are just going to have to be very very careful what they spend their influence on.

I wonder how much it costs to start a guild. Do you actually require a certain amount of members? Can you start multiple?

#11 SemiAutomagic

SemiAutomagic

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:24 PM

Dratyan said:

I'm more of a PvE person and I don't usually b*tch about these kind of things, but can you elaborate on those buffs? Can you get them using other methods? Are they mostly cosmetic? Or will they simply benefit those that are part of a guild good/big enough to purchase them, thus giving the members an advantage over the rest of the PvP players?

I'd like more details on the nature of the buffs as well. Progression (that has an influence on gameplay) in Structured does not sound good.

#12 Minttunator

Minttunator

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1107 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:47 PM

Guilds were one of the main things I was hoping to learn more about in this beta. This is really good information - thank you very much, Kvinna! :)

#13 Asbrandr

Asbrandr

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:49 PM

Hopefully the structured PvP upgrades are cosmetic. I can see some minor stat buffs, building buffs, or something of the like for WvW though

#14 Not A Standard Name

Not A Standard Name

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:53 PM

What about being in multiple guilds?

#15 SylvariCrazed

SylvariCrazed

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 740 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:53 PM

so there are 4 letter Gamer Tags ??

#16 lazykoala

lazykoala

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 848 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:17 PM

Good to know guilds are in! I too would like to know if guild alliances can be formed with other guilds and if it is similar to gw1. Guild halls are being added later right?

#17 hambone_hamlet

hambone_hamlet

    Pale Tree Seedling

  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:26 PM

On the Guild Roster tab, is it displaying the player's real name and then (player's character name and title)? In the video I saw Shawn Schuster (Shaughn) which I am guessing Shaughn was Shawn's character name for this beta.

#18 Ragnarok33986

Ragnarok33986

    Pale Tree Seedling

  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:32 PM

lazykoala said:

Good to know guilds are in! I too would like to know if guild alliances can be formed with other guilds and if it is similar to gw1. Guild halls are being added later right?

I'm extremely curious about this as well. Mostly the guild Hall, one of my favorite things about guild wars.

#19 FoxBat

FoxBat

    Vigil Crusader

  • Members
  • 3973 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:49 PM

Guild Halls were already confirmed NOT to be in for release, but something they want to revisit later when they have the resources.

#20 Psientist

Psientist

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:56 PM

Can't tell from the video, but are there restrictions on who can spend guild influence? I would hate to have my guild save up influence for, say the bank only to have a member purchase something else.

#21 Firstborn12

Firstborn12

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:09 PM

I notice from the video it had a Guild Bank, anyone know how it functions, did a quick search here & wiki, didnt get anything.

#22 Jostedalsosten

Jostedalsosten

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1193 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:36 PM

I was in the press beta, and I have a slight correction. Due to clipping issues with the charr there will not be guild capes. However, you will be able to display your guild emblem on weapons and armor bought from special vendors. Of course, your guild will have to unlock these vendors with influence.

#23 Cosian

Cosian

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:59 PM

Very Sweet!  From the vid it looks like are they putting some teeth into the Guild mechanics and that's a good thing.

#24 Asterai

Asterai

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 420 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:02 AM

Hi there Kvinna,

You say that under "Art of War" there are buffs for WvW and structured PvP.

The idea of guild buffs for structured PvP is very worrisome to me.  The whole point of structured PvP is that it's a level playing field, won by skill alone.

Now, I try not to act the alarmist, and I actually watched the vid you attached and read the guild upgrades listed there.  Under the "Art of War" category I didn't see anything other than WvW buffs, which are fine by me; WvW isn't about balanced play.  In other categories, I did see a few entries along the lines of "Gain 10% more influence from PvP activities for one day", which is also reasonable; it doesn't give an advantage in PvP, just increases the gains from performing PvP.

Could you please clarify, then, whether there are any guild upgrades that provide an advantage in structured PvP?  Inquiring minds want to know.

#25 Khalija

Khalija

    Leaf on the Wind

  • Administrators
  • 4176 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:17 AM

hambone_hamlet said:

On the Guild Roster tab, is it displaying the player's real name and then (player's character name and title)? In the video I saw Shawn Schuster (Shaughn) which I am guessing Shaughn was Shawn's character name for this beta.

I believe it was only that way because of the press CBT in order to link names with accounts. I would have serious problems if a game required me to give my RL name to people I don't know.

Psientist said:

Can't tell from the video, but are there restrictions on who can spend guild influence? I would hate to have my guild save up influence for, say the bank only to have a member purchase something else.

Yes, in the Ranks tab you can choose which ranks have access to use the build queue system.

Firstborn12 said:

I notice from the video it had a Guild Bank, anyone know how it functions, did a quick search here & wiki, didnt get anything.

This is the first time we're seeing it so there isn't much information. ArenaNet didn't queue up the bank or guild weapon and armor merchants so I couldn't get video of what was offered.

Jostedalsosten said:

I was in the press beta, and I have a slight correction. Due to clipping issues with the charr there will not be guild capes. However, you will be able to display your guild emblem on weapons and armor bought from special vendors. Of course, your guild will have to unlock these vendors with influence.

Do you have a source?

Asterai said:

Hi there Kvinna,

You say that under "Art of War" there are buffs for WvW and structured PvP.

The idea of guild buffs for structured PvP is very worrisome to me.  The whole point of structured PvP is that it's a level playing field, won by skill alone.

Now, I try not to act the alarmist, and I actually watched the vid you attached and read the guild upgrades listed there.  Under the "Art of War" category I didn't see anything other than WvW buffs, which are fine by me; WvW isn't about balanced play.  In other categories, I did see a few entries along the lines of "Gain 10% more influence from PvP activities for one day", which is also reasonable; it doesn't give an advantage in PvP, just increases the gains from performing PvP.

Could you please clarify, then, whether there are any guild upgrades that provide an advantage in structured PvP?  Inquiring minds want to know.

What you see in the video is what's currently available. I mentioned Structured because of the general influence buff for PvP. :]

Feel free to PM me if you have a question regarding moderation, want to leave some feedback, or just want to chat!


#26 Jostedalsosten

Jostedalsosten

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1193 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:44 AM

Kvinna said:

Do you have a source?

It was something Eric Flannum said on ventrilo, so you will have to take my word on it. However, I can prove that I was indeed in the beta, which I believe will at least make the whole thing more believeable. I'll send you a message providing proof.

#27 Morcotulcon

Morcotulcon

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 284 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 02:13 AM

I knew that we would see the Guild system. NICE! =D

#28 Doctor Overlord

Doctor Overlord

    If you hate MMOs....

  • Members
  • 5200 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:00 AM

This was the coolest unexpected information I've seen so far from the press beta!   Thanks for the details on it.  

We've heard talk about the guild system but I never knew what to expect.   These mechanics sound really great, it's almost like ArenaNet wants to make running a guild in a MMO fun *gasp*!   Is that legal?   It must be against the law given the way guilds have been implemented in past MMOs.  

I'll admit, the guild party items really made me smile.    It might be a little touch but being able to set out a banquet table is just plain awesome :)

#29 cyTHEborg

cyTHEborg

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 05:11 AM

Hey thank you very much for the write up on guilds Kvinna. I was just wondering though, and this has been a major concern of mine ever since they mentioned guilds, but are small guilds going to be able to thrive in GW2?

I know of the whole multiple guilds aspect, but I mainly plan on just being in a small guild with friends and I don't want to feel like we're being left out due our small size.

In any case, I'm super excited!!!

#30 rodasta

rodasta

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 606 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 03:01 PM

So it's pretty important for guilds to let their members do activities while under their guild tab. I think this will encourage guild leaders(and their minions : officers in GW1) to really organize the guild well. Because the better the organisation and the more fun the guild members are/have the more influence point you would get as guild to buy all those sweet benefits!