Jump to content

- - - - -

Possible upgrade

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 mithin


    Pale Tree Seedling

  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 03:25 AM

I'm considering upgrading my graphic card. I am not terribly interested in and SLI set up.
Current set up:
I5 2500k @ 3.7gHz
cooler master 212+ cpu cooler
ASUS p8p67 pro mobo
8 gig gskill 1333 ram
Corsair 650tx PSU
evga 460gtx 1gig (original version)
cooler master 922 case
running 2 screens at 1080p

Right now im looking at the http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814130758 . I am also thinking about waiting for the 6** series but i don't know if it is worth it because i don't have a pci 3 mobo.
I am planning on playing GW2 hopefully at max to near max settings, SWTOR, Skyrim, maybe BF3 and what ever new games come out in the future.
Thanks all for any help

#2 Faer


    King of Guild Wars

  • Moderators
  • 1890 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 03:57 AM

While the 560 Ti is an upgrade from your 460, and a great card, whether it's worth $290 to make that upgrade right now is certainly debatable. At stock, you can expect the 560 Ti to be 30%ish faster than the 460, but if your card will allow you to match the clocks of the 560 Ti that gap can be lessened to something around 10% with some free overclocking.

As a Kepler card will be just fine in a PCI-E 2.0 slot and will probably give you more of a jump in performance for your dollars, waiting for those to launch is honestly not a bad idea.

#3 stormglory


    Vanguard Scout

  • Validating
  • 219 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:51 AM

evga 460gtx 1gig (original version)

I'm in the same boat. I'm going to wait a lot longer though, I want to see how Kepler fares and what is on the horizon shortly afterward. The 560 Ti 448 is a great card, but so close to the release of a new generation, and with a pretty good card in your machine already, I don't think its worth it personally. I think its a good bet that you can get a better step up for the money from the GTX 6xx's.

Have you overclocked your 460? If not, that's a good option to tide you over for another measly month or two. Its a wonderful card for overclocking; I've got mine running at 870 MHz core/2000 MHz memory and barely 65°C under load. I'm not in a huge rush; Battlefield 3 runs great for me at 1080p, provided Anti-aliasing Deferred is off.

#4 Minttunator


    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1107 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:27 AM

Yeah, I don't think a 560Ti is enough of an upgrade to be worth the trouble either. I'd either get something more powerful or wait for the 6xx series. :)

#5 Undead



  • Technicians
  • 861 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 02:03 PM

I'd also say wait. GTX 460 > GTX 560Ti isn't worth it.