The surely it has to be "The School"? :P

#32 Treble

Treble

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2239 posts
  • Server:Stormbluff Isle

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:10 PM

It's fun. I like playing it. The balance issues are atrocious though. Killing someone in full plate is a practice in frustration, even when you're wearing full plate yourself. One guy took out 4 of our plate wearers before he went down because he simply wasn't taking any damage from maces, bastard swords, axes, or poleaxes.

#33 InfestedHydralisk

InfestedHydralisk

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 26 posts
  • Profession:Warrior
  • Guild Tag:[AS]
  • Server:Ruins of Surmia

Posted 13 October 2012 - 02:35 PM

Since noone is participating in the competition, here is my entry: Alewife

#34 Robsy128

Robsy128

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2916 posts
  • Profession:Ranger
  • Server:Yak’s Bend

Posted 13 October 2012 - 03:29 PM

Do we mail the OP regarding the fish name or what? :P

Either way... my entry would be: Mysticeti. They have Fatshark and Bitsquid already, which sounds awesome. Mysticeti (a type of whale) is a type of fish they haven't yet used and also sounds pretty awesome for a player base.

#35 Aero

Aero

Your Mum

• Moderators
  • 417 posts
  • Guild Tag:[Bone]
  • Server:Gandara

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:25 AM

The competition is now over.  

All entries here and via pm were taken into account and the winner is Robsy128 with 'Mysticeti'  ( I had to look up what that is so I learned something :P)

Robsy, I sent you a pm.

Anita Sarkeesian at TEDxWomen 2012

Moderation related questions, or any query just contact me here

(I won’t do your maths homework!)

#36 Robsy128

Robsy128

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2916 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:05 PM

Yay! :D I'm so happy. I feel like Steve Carrel from Get Smart.

Anyway, at least I'll have something to contribute to this thread now :P

#37 Aero

Aero

Your Mum

• Moderators
  • 417 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 07:27 AM

Better get started Robsy they already announced new content ^^

New War of the Roses Content Announced!

Additional Weapons, Maps, and Game Modes Forthcoming

http://forum.paradox...0314567&thumb=1

NEW YORK – October 15, 2012 – The battles within War of the Roses have been brutal to say the least, but soon players will receive a whole new arsenal to wield havoc with on the field. Paradox Interactive and Fatshark today revealed more details on new content coming to medieval melee action title War of the Roses, including brand new sets of weaponry and armor, additional game modes, and some wintry new maps.

This November, War of the Roses will see its first new content drop, which will introduce a wide variety of weapons, including a horn-spanned crossbow for ranged enthusiasts and a Hospitaller pollaxe made famous by the company of knights bearing the same name. Players will also be able to get their gritty hands on the Milanese Knights Hospitaller crafted Heavy Armor, which can be customized with any of 10 different paint options, as well as an assortment of new visors and one new helmet.

Come winter, knights should start preparing for two new challenging game modes and snow-laden maps as the war for the crown of England heads into the harshest months of the year. The first mode being introduced is Pitched Battle, where soldiers for the houses of Lancaster and York will soon learn to value their lives. The upcoming mode is launching into beta very soon, and interested players should keep an eye on the forum http://tinyurl.com/cd3ugvw for more details.

Two new maps are also confirmed, inspired by the battles of Wakefield and Towton. With both of these historic skirmishes taking place in an extremely cold winter from December 1460 to March 1461, it’s only fitting that both maps introduce a new weather mechanic that will set snow and sleet against ally and adversary alike.

Content updates will automatically add new items to be acquired in the game. The system is designed to reward players who have invested a lot of playing hours into the game and items will be immediately available for players to redeem though accumulated in-game currency. For those who are too impatient, there are also options to purchase in-game currency to secure content.

More details on the newly announced modes and maps to come throughout Q4, for more details on War of the Roses please visit the title’s official site at http://www.waroftherosesthegame.com

Edited by Aero, 16 October 2012 - 07:28 AM.

#38 Robsy128

Robsy128

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2916 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:37 AM

^ Cool stuff.

So far it's pretty fun. The graphics are nice, and the controls take a little getting used to. That is, unless you're used to Mount and Blade. I'm having a bit of trouble getting into games, though. I connect to servers, but they send me back to the main screen which is disappointing. It seems quite a lot of people are having the same issues as well. Here's hoping the developers sort it out soon, because I personally liked what little of it I played :)

#39 Aero

Aero

Your Mum

• Moderators
  • 417 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 03:05 PM

not sure what your specs are

The rec requirements are

RECOMMENDED:
Windows Vista / Windows 7, Quad Core Intel or AMD processor, 4GB, 5GB HD, Shader 4.0 compatible card (recommended: Nvidia GeForce 460, AMD Radeon 5870, Graphics Card Memory: 1GB, DirectX®: Direct3D 11 compatible card , Onboard Integrated Video Card Not Supported.

There are known issues with nvidia cards , I don't know what you have or whether this will help...

There is this help topic for random crashes

#40 Robsy128

Robsy128

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2916 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 04:29 PM

Yeah, it's not a crash... it just seems that the servers are laggy and so they kick me out of the games I try and join. here's hoping I can try again later and it'll work :)

#41 Romanator0

Romanator0

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1050 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:24 PM

Totalbiscuit did a comparison video between Chivalry and WotR.

#42 Caith

Caith

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 13 posts
  • Guild Tag:[BV]

Posted 18 October 2012 - 07:45 AM

I have to disagree with TB on some of his points.

I think ranged combat wins chivalry, because of the variety of ranged weapons and ranged utilities.
He didn't even mentioned crouch for smaller crosshair/better aiming, zoom and projectile cam.

And i'd count immersion into presentation, wich would cleary go to chivalry.

Overall you can say:

Do I want immersive fastpaced medieval combat? = Chivalry
Do I want customized slowpaced medieval combat? = WoR

Edited by Caith, 18 October 2012 - 07:49 AM.

#43 Aero

Aero

Your Mum

• Moderators
  • 417 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:01 AM

Yeah, with WotR a lot of effort has been put in to keeping it as historically accurate as possible while keeping it a good game, other games in genre are just a historical mess.  And many are totally unrealistic, lopping off arms and heads in battle is jut silly, it couldn't happen.  

In effect with the customisation available WotR has a massive range of weapons because you can tweak each one to your personal playstyle.

WotR is not slow paced, but it is though rather more skill based than Ch similar games and has a steeper learning curve.  I can see that it would not appeal to  people who like a simpler experience with their games.

I wonder why TB says neither game supports clan play.  There are many clans signed up on the clan section of the WotR forums, there is a clan tournament being arranged by players and supported by Paradox and clans can set up their own passworded servers.  My clan has played scrims against other clans and it is good fun as well as high level play.

Edited by Aero, 22 October 2012 - 02:27 PM.

#44 Aero

Aero

Your Mum

• Moderators
  • 417 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:29 AM

New game mode, weapons and armour available Wednesday :)

New “Pitched Battle” Game Mode Rides into Open Beta, Live Stream Coming Wednesday

NEW YORK - November 19, 2012 - Hear ye! The first in a series of monthly content updates for War of the Roses, the medieval brawler from Paradox Interactive, is arriving this Wednesday. The update introduces a wealth of new armaments to every knight’s arsenal, including the Kingmaker sword, a finely crafted piece of steel brandished by legendary English nobleman Richard Neville, otherwise known as Warwick the Kingmaker. A new suit of heavy armor will also be available to choose with different paint options to customize one’s fearsome look. One new helmet, four new visors, and seven new weapons, including the gothic mace, the halberd, and the horn-spanned crossbow, will also join the fray.

Players will also be introduced to a new game mode, henceforth known as “Pitched Battle,” which challenges knights to take greater care with their lives – since, in Pitched Battle, death is final.

Pitched Battle mode will begin an Open Beta when the update arrives, and all War of the Roses players are welcome to join. Simply find a game in the server browser that is listed as being in Pitched Battle mode, and join the game normally. In Pitched Battle, each knight has only one life to risk on the battlefield per round; when a combatant perishes, he cannot return to the fight until the next match. Bandaging one’s wounds and reviving teammates will be crucial to victory, and executing opponents to keep them out of the fight will decide which is the last team standing.

Join Paradox Interactive this Wednesday, Nov. 21 at 6pm GMT / 10am PST for a special War of the Roses broadcast as they demonstrate Pitched Battle and show off all the new content. To get a front row seat to all the medieval mayhem, tune into the official Paradox Interactive TwitchTV channel at www.twitchtv.com/paradoxinteractive.

http://forum.paradox...he-Roses-Update

Countdown to stream

Edited by Aero, 20 November 2012 - 11:50 AM.

#45 Waar Kijk Je Naar

Waar Kijk Je Naar

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1595 posts
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Guild Tag:[GSD]

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:53 PM

Does this game have an active playerbase? Have been looking at this game for a while already, but I'm a bit hesitant about buying it. It wouldn't be the first time I bought a cool-looking game that is played by almost nobody.

#46 Aero

Aero

Your Mum

• Moderators
  • 417 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:19 PM

It has a core base and it will grow as the game itself is the best in the genre.  There have been some fans of another game putting a lot of effort into talking down WotR but it has longevity and will still be played when they are bored.  If you are concerned about having people to play with I suggest you check out the clan sectionof the forum and join a clan.

More news

GamersPlatoon.com, the world’s leading non-profit gaming organization, today announced its partnership with Paradox Interactive and Multiplay Gameservers , one of the world’s largest gaming service providers which will see Multiplay powering the GamersPlatoon global network of gameservers.

Celebrating GamersPlatoon Efforts towards the PC Gaming Community, Paradox Interactive partnered with GP to offer its community a taste of its new team-based, medieval action game, War of the Roses, which is exclusively powered by http://Multiplaygameservers.com . The game keys are available, for registered members of GamersPlatoon community at http://gamersplatoon.com.

"As we prepare to release new great content for War of the Roses, we are excited about partnering with GamersPlatoon.com and supporting their community" said Susan Meza Graham, Chief marketing Officer for Paradox Interactive. "The team at GP have done a great job of maintaining a non-profit model while still growing a fantastic PC gaming community and this is right in line with our dedication and passion for PC gaming."

http://www.gamersplatoon.net/home/

Edited by Aero, 20 November 2012 - 08:28 PM.

#47 Aero

Aero

Your Mum

• Moderators
  • 417 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:48 PM

War of the Roses is on steam sale right now - grab a bargain!

http://store.steampo....com/app/42160/

#48 Aero

Aero

Your Mum

• Moderators
  • 417 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:16 PM

New Content - new trailer :)

Trailer showing new Wakefield map released, live stream coming Dec. 20

NEW YORK — December 17, 2012 — The battles between the houses of York and Lancaster show no signs of slowing down, with heroic knights remaining locked in combat as the cold winter months begin. Paradox Interactive has announced that the newest free content update for War of the Roses, entitled “Winter Has Arrived,” will be available Dec. 19 and includes new armor and weaponry, plus two brand new snow-covered maps based on the historic battles of Wakefield and Towton.

The truly pious will also be able to wield the Dagger and Sword of Mary for Christ’s Mass, inspired by medieval depictions of the Virgin Mary, laden with holy symbols. Both weapons will be available Friday, Dec. 21, at a special holiday price. But that mercy will expire on Dec. 26, at which point the prices will rise to the cost of a King's bounty!

Join Paradox Interactive this Thursday, Dec. 20, at 7pm GMT / 11am PST for a special War of the Roses broadcast as they demonstrate both new maps and show off all the new content. To get a front row seat to all the medieval mayhem, tune into the official Paradox Interactive TwitchTV channel at www.twitchtv.com/paradoxinteractive.

A new trailer for War of the Roses will help aspiring knights prepare themselves for the long, merciless winter. It may be viewed here: https://www.youtube....h?v=H4Y4wxIbzas

To find out more about War of the Roses and prepare for an even deadlier battle, visit http://www.waroftherosesthegame.com/

#49 Arngrim Einheri

Arngrim Einheri

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2875 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:05 PM

Oh, decapitations?

#50 Aero

Aero

Your Mum

• Moderators
  • 417 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:45 PM

yes, decapitions are rare because the conditions under which they occur are rarely fulfilled in normal combat, but they have been in game a while now, having been  a pet project of one of teh devs from last August.  I prefer it that way as seeing heads rolling off all the time is a bit silly and this game does try to stick to its historical basis while making exceptions that improve gameplay.

There is a currently a beta of the new melee balance and it looks like most of the issues raised about that have been addressed.  One particularly striking aspect of this game is how open the devs are, how active on the forums and how much they listen to the playerbase.

Edited by Aero, 26 December 2012 - 12:47 PM.

#51 Arngrim Einheri

Arngrim Einheri

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2875 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:51 PM

I finally got decapitated on this game,yay!! I was surrounded by 3 executioner axe wielders and they all swang an overhead smash almost at the same time; then my head just popped out the body with a gross sound. Was funny to see, vertical swing horizontal chop xD

Edited by Arngrim Einheri, 26 December 2012 - 12:52 PM.

#52 Aero

Aero

Your Mum

• Moderators
  • 417 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:41 AM

I have not either been decapitated (phew I wouldn't like to watch that) or managed a decapitiaion yet.  But then I never execute either - it is too gory for me.

This is a great review - although obviously it was made before Pitched Battle, the single life mode was out.

#53 Aero

Aero

Your Mum

• Moderators
  • 417 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:59 AM

I accidentally decapitated someone for the first time the other day, it was quite a shock!

I was too slow for a screenie of the decapitation but here is an awesome screenie I took a while ago (the lovely Morag from Whispers photoshopped out the names for me)

I call it

Last Stand

Posted Image

Edited by Aero, 13 January 2013 - 12:01 PM.

#54 Arngrim Einheri

Arngrim Einheri

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2875 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:29 PM

View PostAero, on 13 January 2013 - 11:59 AM, said:

I accidentally decapitated someone for the first time the other day, it was quite a shock!

I was too slow for a screenie of the decapitation but here is an awesome screenie I took a while ago (the lovely Morag from Whispers photoshopped out the names for me)

I call it

Last Stand

Posted Image

That's a nice screenie!
We should team up someday. I'm good with the crossbow ^^

#55 Aero

Aero

Your Mum

• Moderators
  • 417 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:25 PM

War of the Roses is now 55% off at the Paradox shop

As of today, you can visit Paradox's dedicated webstore, located athttp://www.paradoxplaza.com/shop, and check out the newest way to browse, buy, and download from us personally. To celebrate our big giant community, we're opening the webstore with a big giant sale! For the first month, you can get several of our top titles for 50% off. This sale will run from January 17th to February 17th, so come check out the games you've always meant to try!

#56 Aero

Aero

Your Mum

• Moderators
  • 417 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:52 PM

Tune in to the Paradox Convention 2013 Press Conference live from Reykjavik, Iceland at 4pm GMT (11am PST) today for three exciting new War of the Roses announcements!

You can find a recording of the stream here: http://www.twitch.tv...ive/b/362902877

Edited by Aero, 03 February 2013 - 12:28 PM.

#57 Aero

Aero

Your Mum

• Moderators
  • 417 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:26 PM

Tonight at 19:30 CET / 10:30 PST we will be streaming part of the Kings Battle community tournament where a large group of clans are gathering for a massive 64 player Pitched Battle brawl! Hosting the stream is Executive Producer Gordon Van Dyke and Paradox CEO Fredrik Wester.

A recording of the stream can be found here: http://www.twitch.tv...ive/b/364336007

Edited by Aero, 10 February 2013 - 04:23 PM.

#58 Aero

Aero

Your Mum

• Moderators
  • 417 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 04:30 PM

War of the Roses is now available as a free to play version
(just search War of the Roses on steam and click teh download demo button)
as described at about 2:20 here

http://www.gamereact...aker Interview/

Anyone can download the game from steam without cost. The trial version will include access to most online servers enabling aspiring warriors to fight alongside all existing players – paid or trial. The trial version will limit players by disallowing any unlocks, giving access only to the game’s base classes and weapons, giving trial players a chance to live true knighthood. Trail players will have access to only two of the game modes; TDM and Conquest. Trailists will gain xp and gold at 80% of the full rate, however this will increase to 100% when they buy the game. Trialists have access to all public servers, however private server can choose whether or not to accept them.

As the base classes are competitive it is in theory possible to get to level 60 with the free trail.  This reminds me of getting Legendary Defender of Ascalon (in the old days) by staying in pre-searing and levelling charr.  Is anyone up for the challenge?

#59 Arngrim Einheri

Arngrim Einheri

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2875 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:30 PM

Are you interested in performing for the new War of the Roses "Kingmaker" trailer? They explain how here
http://forum.paradox...uot-trailer-...

Edited by Arngrim Einheri, 27 February 2013 - 04:31 PM.

#60 Aero

Aero

Your Mum

• Moderators
  • 417 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 08:59 PM

For the uninitiated and veteran alike, Executive Producer Gordon Van Dyke and company will be hosting a live stream of War of the Roses to show off the fire-packed update and kick off the upcoming free-to-play weekend. Check out the broadcast on February 28 at 7 p.m. GMT (11 a.m. PST) by heading over to the official Paradox Interactive channel on Twitch TV at www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive.

countdown

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: beta

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users