• Curse Sites
Help
- - - - -

PSA: Selling your Xbox 360 could compromise your CC info.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#-29 Crim09

Crim09

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 430 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 01:27 AM

http://kotaku.com/58...experts-tell-us

and

http://kotaku.com/58...redit-card-info

Reports that people had their credit card information stolen from their xbox systems after trading them in.  This includes xbox's that have been restored to factory default settings.

#-28 FoxBat

FoxBat

Vigil Crusader

• Members
  • 3927 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 01:52 AM

A new way for console manufacturers to cut into Gamestop?

#-27 Crim09

Crim09

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 430 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 02:40 AM

FoxBat said:

A new way for console manufacturers to cut into Gamestop?

That would  be very underhanded...

#-26 Tigi

Tigi

Pale Tree Seedling

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:34 PM

Damnit! I just traded mine in last week... formatted the hardrives though, hopefully that did the trick :-)

#-25 Lord Bazaah

Lord Bazaah

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1522 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 08:08 AM

The so-called "Factory Reset" on  the 360 doesn't do anything. It blows away a few settings, but the  majority of the Flash NAND that everything else is stored in remains  untouched- that is, the data is still there- just not in any  reference-able format (this is analogous to unlinking a file- the data  is still there, just not listed in the filesystems TOC).
If you  really want to nuke a 360, you need to go into the System Info page (the  one with the console serial numbers, kernel version, etc)- then enter  in a combination of button presses that is usually specific to your  console or the machine model (nobody has really figured that one out).  Usually this combination starts with LT, LR, X, Y, LB, RB- but then  there's anywhere between 2 and 8 additional button events. You might be  able to guess it with some patience, I've done it before- but I think  that was just blind luck (in my case, the remaining buttons to press  were on the D-Pad- up, down, left, right, then the X, Y, A, and B  buttons).
If you call Microsoft, they can usually get you the  combo for your console if you make up a story about losing the parental  controls or some bullshit (they won't just give it to you if you ask for  it- they want a reason).
Once you do that, you'll get a screen  that will basically confirm you really, really want to blow the console  away. If you confirm, the 360 will reset itself to the actual factory  state- that is, all your HDMI settings, wireless settings, account  information- everything will be nuked.
But the publicly available  "factory reset"- the one you can get to without any secret combos or  anything, isn't really a reset. A lot of settings will linger around,  and the only way to nuke them totally is with the aforementioned wipe.
-AC

Obligatory quote.