• Curse Sites
Help
- - - - -

Language Support

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 Lakia Nox

Lakia Nox

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:47 PM

Rubi quote:
Spoiler

What does “language support” mean? Does it mean character restrictions as in Guild Wars 1 (such as the inability to type ñ in the US version) or does it mean limitations on the audio dialogue (such as buying the US version and not being able to listen to French audio)? I assume it doesn't mean subtitle restrictions, given a past interview with ArenaNet.

Interview:
Spoiler

If there are restrictions on language (typing, audio, or subtitles), is it based on country or region (NA vs. EU)? In North America, Canada speaks English and French (both official languages), the US speaks English and Spanish (with roughly 3 million German/French primary speakers), and Mexico speaks Spanish. I'd assume supported languages would change depending on if it's based around country or region.

In either case, if it is restricted, how would one attain additional language support (or would it even be possible)? Would the language support for the digital download be based on IP or browser settings? Would that mean French support would require a Canadian copy of the game in NA (with no way of attaining German)? Region-locking makes it impossible to import it from France/Germany, and I assume they wouldn't sell it in the in-game store (even though, given my experiences in GW1, a lot of people would be willing to pay for it, once Korean language support is added... and, in my case, I'd be willing to pay for the ability to use a more complete latin alphabet).

If they had technical support at this point, I'd ask them. Since they don't, it's enough of an issue for me that I am likely to postpone my pre-purchase until after the April BWE (to find out what restrictions are in place) and I was hoping to play the beta near my birthday at the end of April! :(

If not now, hopefully, someone can answer some of my questions once they pre-purchase on the 10th.

Edit(one final point of confusion):
If there are still language restrictions on character creation in GW2, would owning a different GW1 version from your GW2 copy not allow you to use your reserved character names from GW1. Example: owning a Spanish version of GW1 and having a ñ in the name, then buying and linking it to a US version of GW2. Would I still be able to use my reserved GW1 name in GW2?

Edited by Lakia Nox, 07 April 2012 - 05:05 PM.
additional question

#2 Enyth

Enyth

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:57 PM

You can change the languages of the text and audio of the game no matter where you are geographically, with no restrictions whatsoever.
I'm not sure about chat restrictions, but I guess those would be similar to GW1's. Not sure on this one, though.

#3 AyameYoshimoto

AyameYoshimoto

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:23 PM

There are language restrictions, but we don't know the answer to your edited question.

At pre-purchase, we're not getting the client to install it, so we still won't know the answers for sure to a lot of this stuff.

To have language support for any given language, it means the client exists translated into that language, they have CM staff who speak that language, and they have customer support staff that speak that language.

#4 Lakia Nox

Lakia Nox

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:16 PM

Enyth said:

You can change the languages of the text and audio of the game no matter where you are geographically, with no restrictions whatsoever.
I'm not sure about chat restrictions, but I guess those would be similar to GW1's. Not sure on this one, though.

I am a happy panda :D

As far as my edited question goes, it's not a game-breaker for me, but hopefully we'll find out in the near future.

@AyameYoshimoto: Thanks for clarifying what "language support" means.