• Curse Sites
Help
- - - - -

Selfish V Group

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 Aodan

Aodan

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1616 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:45 AM

I've seen that a lot of builds/thought into GW2 by a majority of forum goers here are extremely selfish. Very few I've seen actually build towards group synergy or any actual "SUPPORT", then beyond that, it seems that a majority of the forum goers have little to no real ability to theory craft. I blame the poor theory crafting on games like WoW and LoL which do a horrible job of punishing players for using horrible builds.

Then from this, those same "selfish" or inexperienced forum goers, spam at me that I'm an elitist because I'm simply telling them that their builds are selfish or not good. How does that make me Elitist? I'm simply surprised that these forum goers would instantly go to blasting me instead of evaluating their own builds/stuff.

I know I don't have the most friendly tone when it comes to telling someone, their build/mind set is bad, but it is, and the fact that some of them have been playing mmo's for more then a year or so.

The most irritating part is that I was MUCH younger then many of them , around 14 when I started DAoC, and people would just blatantly not take me in groups if i was running some horribad or selfish build. It astounds me how babied some of these players are, especially at their ages.

Is this just them or does GW2 support this even further. IMO GW2 kinda supports this misguided mentality. Hopefully end game content will help them realize that they can't be such selfish or horribly bad theory crafters.

#2 Little Bird

Little Bird

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:24 AM

Won't they learn through practice that they will need to work together?
It won't matter what their mind set is, if there are enough people without synergy in mind, they will all get rolled.
Most of the demo videos so far have shown this - repeatedly.

#3 Aodan

Aodan

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1616 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:01 AM

Little Bird said:

Won't they learn through practice that they will need to work together?
It won't matter what their mind set is, if there are enough people without synergy in mind, they will all get rolled.
Most of the demo videos so far have shown this - repeatedly.

True, this feeling more comes from the majority of players in like say LoL. There seems to be a surplus of selfish players.

I'm not too concered for SPvP as I will have my choice of poeple to roll with. But WvW is on the SERVER as a whole. I really don't want to see people on my server running crappy builds. Some players won't change i guess.

#4 Adamethius

Adamethius

Pale Tree Seedling

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:10 AM

Girls. The answer to this problem are girls. And forced romance! Too bad girls do not exist. :surprised: If girls do exist everyone would be like zomg a wild girl has appeared, I gottsa charms eeet'fore it guts awei. And then support builds are made.

But the last girl sighting has been 15 years ago. :qq:

#5 Patar

Patar

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:42 AM

I'm going to mostly be playing GW2 by myself. no friends to play with, don't know many folks in-game. and since everyones life and survival is in their own hands, I'd rather prioritize self-sufficiency before worrying about buffing my group.

#6 Vampiress

Vampiress

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:32 AM

I prefer to just play the game and figure things out as I go. I'm not a good planner, and I'm even worse at actually following a plan if I manage to put one together.

#7 omnipotentes

omnipotentes

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 197 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:46 AM

In GW2 people won't be able to blame the healer for failing. How people go about leveling/ playing the game is their own business. Except for dungeons pugging is not obligated after all. As for selfish builds that is what the respec system is for; at a cost of course.
So; take a chill pill boy wonder.

#8 Towren

Towren

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:01 AM

I think you worry to much.

First off, I think if there is any game where you can get away with a selfish build it's a game like GW2. The game has supposidly been designed so you're looking after yourself first and foremost, everyone has to heal themselves, everyone has to dodge. Your own survivability is your own priority much more in this game than in other mmo's (where a mistake can be covered by your healer or tank)... A selfish build in PvE will keep you alive longer, meaning your group will survive longer.

Secondly, most of the builds you'll find on GW2guru tend to be builds for PvP, which is max damage builds...the faster the enemy goes down the faster your team gets points. So ultimatley a selfish build in PvP is a team build.

And third, people like myself, who actually love playing the supportive role in MMO's (CC/Healing/Buffs/De-buffs) can only really make our builds when we've seen other peoples builds. That's the nature of support. We go for things our team mates won't have, to close the gap. And so your supportive people won't be making their builds as they won't have their team yet. Well, some of us do. But then our builds are being discussed with guildies on our own forums. Not being shared with complete strangers on GW2guru who won't be running with us.

#9 Delusional

Delusional

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:38 PM

Everything from my class to my build will be about support. I'm actually not interested in sitting there going "PEW PEW PEW" on my own. I love being an annoyance and just CCing everybody while my friends bring 'em down. I love buffing/debuffing/healing/ect. Nothing else I'd rather do (:

#10 Reikan

Reikan

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:53 PM

Why like LoL you must not have played it much because its hard to win against real players when people all just aim to get kills.
I mean yeh theres alot of those players but they are noobs and they die.

In GW2 that might be right to me it does seem like a bit of a spam but its more about tactics in GW2 i think so at least it has that
I guess thats why Elementalists are winning in the proffesion poll

But my main goal in games is always more just be annoying and harass people or confuse people (hopefully the mesmer satisfies me with this) i dont care about killing people i like watching them be useless. And i dont think anything beats good co-operation in a team so fun having a group all working together well i dont care what role i have if im amongst that.

#11 pumpkin pie

pumpkin pie

Obnoxious Font Tag Abuser

• Site Contributors
  • 4913 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:04 PM

Adamethius said:

Girls. The answer to this problem are girls. And forced romance! Too bad girls do not exist. :surprised: If girls do exist everyone would be like zomg a wild girl has appeared, I gottsa charms eeet'fore it guts awei. And then support builds are made.

But the last girl sighting has been 15 years ago. :qq:

okay, i laugh so hard at this and i don't know what you talk about at all .... :D:p