• Curse Sites
Help
- - - - -

GW2 is very CPU heavy this weekend!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
128 replies to this topic

#1 The Comfy Chair

The Comfy Chair

The best at space

• Members
  • 5331 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:37 PM

The game is currently very CPU heavy at this point in development and the graphics settings do not make much difference to performance as a result.

Therefore, if you're not running 'high-mid' range CPU's like the i5-2500K, you'll likely be running into slowdown on occasion during the beta (and WvW may be unplayable for lower end dual cores ect.). Reducing settings will not help in this situation, so you may as well just keep them up as high as you can.

The only caveat to the 'settings have no effect' rule is refelections which may increase performance slightly.

With this announcement, we wont be allowing a massive amount of individual 'gw2 isn't running well in beta!' threads here if it is due to that CPU bottleneck, so dont take it personally if the thread gets closed. It may be that we already know that CPU is struggling, or should struggle. We will soon get to see the extent of the bottleneck from our performance gathering.

If you want to check if your computer will run GW2, check here.

If you find out you can't and need to think about upgrading or building another, check here.

#2 babalon

babalon

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:51 PM

Thanks for the heads-up.

#3 dansamy

dansamy

Seraph Guardian

• Curse Premium
  • 1429 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:53 PM

So, where will my 955BE fall?

#4 The Comfy Chair

The Comfy Chair

The best at space

• Members
  • 5331 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:54 PM

I'd imagine the AMD Phenom II's will be ok for the most part, but chug in large WvW fights. We can't be sure until Friday i'm afraid.

If you find out you can't and need to think about upgrading or building another, check here.

#5 dansamy

dansamy

Seraph Guardian

• Curse Premium
  • 1429 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:06 PM

WvW is what I want to play the most. *pouts*

Do I need to build another new rig for GW2?

#6 Cailos

Cailos

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:18 PM

Also do NOT overclock.
From official forum

KNOWN ISSUES
Hardware Compatibility

Display: the graphics-settings slider has only a minor impact on performance at this time.
We are currently optimizing Guild Wars 2, making ongoing improvements to the game’s frame rate. Presently, the game is CPU-bound on most high-end systems, so lowering graphics settings or upgrading your video card may not have a large impact on performance.
On older or lower-end machines, it is recommended that you try disabling reflections to improve frame rate.
Installing the game client into the Program Files directory on Windows Vista or Windows 7 can lead to issues with the patching process.
It is advised that you install the game to another folder or launch it as an administrator.
Forcing anti-aliasing through AMD Catalyst™ Control Center or AMD VISION™ Engine Control Center typically results in a black screen when playing. ATI cards that are known to cause the black-screen issue while using the latest drivers (12.3) include:
HD 2900
HD 5770
HD 6970

Windows TDR (Timeout Detection and Recovery) will sometimes restart a user’s graphics drivers if they become unresponsive, resulting in a notification that the graphics driver has been restarted.

Alienware ATI Laptops: the Guild Wars 2 client does not restore properly after being minimized.

Currently, adjusting the core clock speed of the GPU or CPU typically results in lower performance.
It is advised that you leave core clock speeds at factory defaults.
AMD CrossFire™ and NVIDIA® SLI™ are not currently supported.

These features should be disabled while running the game.

Enabling NVIDIA 3D VISION® may cause a crash on some systems.

If you experience a crash while this setting is enabled, it is recommended that you disable it in the NVIDIA Control Panel.

#7 The Comfy Chair

The Comfy Chair

The best at space

• Members
  • 5331 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:27 PM

I'm going to investigate OCing in the first few minutes of the beta and post the results :)

#8 kluugw2

kluugw2

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:45 PM

The Comfy Chair said:

I'm going to investigate OCing in the first few minutes of the beta and post the results :)

Great, let us know the results.

I was planning to OC for the weekend, well I probably still will haha

#9 Vokox

Vokox

Pale Tree Seedling

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:52 PM

The Comfy Chair said:

Looking foward for your results. In any case, i will try both ways too.

#10 Dohkorin

Dohkorin

Pale Tree Seedling

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:59 PM

Mmm i have a question: I have amd phenom quadcore 9950, if i upgrande with phenom II 965 i can get a very nice boost?

----------

Dohkorin said:

Mmm i have a question: I have amd phenom quadcore 9950, if i upgrande with phenom II 965 i can get a very nice boost?

Mobo: M3N78 Pro, advice on the best cpu that I can mount? ty

#11 The Comfy Chair

The Comfy Chair

The best at space

• Members
  • 5331 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:10 AM

You'll get a decent boost, but overall i'd advise saving up for a new system based on an i5 or something :) you'll get more value for your money from the upgrade that way.

#12 Dohkorin

Dohkorin

Pale Tree Seedling

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:19 AM

Ty :D, but i must change mobo+cpu+ram for i5 system! Maybe i wait beta, i will upgrande my pc if need

#13 The Comfy Chair

The Comfy Chair

The best at space

• Members
  • 5331 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:21 AM

Indeed, it'd be a bigger upgrade, but worth it overall :)

#14 Dohkorin

Dohkorin

Pale Tree Seedling

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:30 AM

The Comfy Chair said:

Indeed, it'd be a bigger upgrade, but worth it overall :)

True :D :D :D

#15 dansamy

dansamy

Seraph Guardian

• Curse Premium
  • 1429 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:30 AM

What's the chances that Phenom CPUs will perform without stuttering/lagging in WvW at release?

(My husband is going to shoot me if I end up building a new PC a year after I built this one.)

#16 Nature

Nature

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:32 AM

Good thing I have an i7 xD So glad I won this else I'd still be stuck with a Phenom II X3 720 :(

#17 Faer

Faer

King of Guild Wars

• Moderators
  • 1882 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:36 AM

The Comfy Chair said:

I'm trying to figure out where they got their information on overclocking performance myself. My OCing during CBT3 did nothing but increase my performance, whether I was recording or not. Perhaps I am just one of the atypical cases.

dansamy said:

WvW is what I want to play the most. *pouts*

Do I need to build another new rig for GW2?
WvW destroyed my i5 to the point that we couldn't use any of our WvW footage simply because the framerate was too low, even with the graphics settings at the lowest possible settings. It seems to vary a lot per person (other press teams were running WvW quite well), but if you keep your expectations low going in, you can't be too disappointed regardless of the results.

By the time the game is released though, your 955 should be just fine. You probably won't need to upgrade to get respectable performance once the engine is optimized properly.

Edited by Faer, 25 April 2012 - 01:04 AM.

#18 goodrix

goodrix

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:33 AM

The OC part is intriguing.

I've always run my (rather old, now) CPU at 20% OC. (taking about Core2Duo E8400 @ 3.6Ghz).

I'll post my results w/ and w/o OC using Fraps.

I'm probably looking at medium settings now (also have GTX260 + 8Gb Ram @ 1080p) .

#19 moriz

moriz

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1553 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 01:35 AM

i think the comment about overclocking is merely to prevent people running the game with an unstable system, and then blaming crashes on the game.

basically, if you are running a stable overclock, ignore that part completely.

#20 baels

baels

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2185 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:17 AM

Looks like ima have to finally OC my 2500k ;)

#21 Datenshi92

Datenshi92

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2391 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:32 AM

baels said:

Looks like ima have to finally OC my 2500k ;)

They clearly said that OC will not help in this matter as of the moment, so don't bother :P

#22 bhavv

bhavv

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1675 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:41 AM

So will my I7 980 @ 3.9 Ghz & 1.2v suffice, or do I clock it more to 4.4 Ghz and turn my room into an oven :p

It doesn't even need to be overclocked really, but it does 4 Ghz on stock volts so I run it around that much 24/7.

Edited by bhavv, 25 April 2012 - 02:44 AM.

#23 Eragon Zarroc

Eragon Zarroc

Vigil Crusader

• Members
  • 4198 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:14 AM

interesting about the overclocking.  looking forward to seeing what kind of results you guys get.

#24 Treble

Treble

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2239 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:05 AM

I've been saying this for months but no one believed me. >_>

#25 SLYDER

SLYDER

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:12 AM

I7-2600k????

#26 Treble

Treble

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2239 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:16 AM

SLYDER said:

I7-2600k????

It'll perform the exact same as an i5 2500K because GW2 doesn't use Hyperthreading. It's basically an i5 2500K with 100MHz higher clock speed when it comes to gaming.

#27 Roezz

Roezz

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:10 AM

bhavv said:

So will my I7 980 @ 3.9 Ghz & 1.2v suffice, or do I clock it more to 4.4 Ghz and turn my room into an oven :p

It doesn't even need to be overclocked really, but it does 4 Ghz on stock volts so I run it around that much 24/7.

For some reason, overall, the first gen i7's have been reported as not doing so well in recent builds  No idea why.  The second gen i7's and the i5's do much better.

By reported I mean I have seen volumes of copied beta forum posts which were surreptitiously smuggled across the nets.

#28 typographie

typographie

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2024 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:18 AM

Datenshi92 said:

They clearly said that OC will not help in this matter as of the moment, so don't bother :P

All the more reason to test it with and without to see what happens :D

#29 sakura az

sakura az

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:20 AM

Hm, It says core clocks not multiplier.  I wonder if this means those of us who only changed the multiplier on our cpu's will be unaffected? all I did with my i5 2500k is switch to multi from 33 to 42 to overclock it.

That's my curiosity for the evening.. also wondering why my comp keeps crashing, but that will get its own thread soon if I can't figure it out.

#30 Aodan

Aodan

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1616 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:21 AM

I'm sure my AMD 955 @3.65ghz will do just fine.

Most game still don't utilize all 4 cores, so I see no need to upgrade my mobo/cpu yet. Next on the list tho

ASUS MEVO 1600/AMD3
AMD 955 @ 3.65ghz (Soft Clock)
EVGA GTX 560 SD Edition
Mushkin Black Line 12gb
Rosewill 1000w 80Cert PSU

--------
VexX Gaming IRC @Quakenet #Vexx