Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Help
- - - - -

System Requirements


This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
51 replies to this topic

#1 OctoberJade

OctoberJade

    Whose ear

  • Site Contributors
  • 1160 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 12:42 AM

Found a post here, which is another forum someone linked to in the monk discussion.  This seemed important too, so I opted to create a separate thread.

Eric Flannum said:

System Reqs. We haven't announced our min specs yet but we run pretty modest machines here at work. I've had mine for about 3 years and it wasn't top of the line to begin with (I've got a geforce 8600). The game runs and plays great on my system. Not requiring the latest and greatest hardware to run our games has always been and will continue to be a priority for us.

As far as I know, this is the most we have seen about pc specs.

#2 Guideborn

Guideborn

    Griffin

  • Members
  • 1714 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 12:46 AM

I've got a Geforce 8600 as well. One less thing to worry about. My rig is pretty cruddy so if you have a gaming rig, you'll be able to run GW2 beautifully.

Edited by Maglama, 30 April 2010 - 12:49 AM.


#3 Obie

Obie

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 01:25 AM

I signed up to the forum just to follow Eric. I hope he doesn't mind.
He knows he can't give out real big blocks, but every little slip helps :)

#4 XNEO

XNEO

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 01:34 AM

jaja nice i have a 8600gt too xD, i hope it run it well

#5 Shayne Hawke

Shayne Hawke

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1280 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 01:44 AM

Yeah, well, I built my computer about five to six years ago, and I'm plenty ready for a new one or an upgrade.  I'm trying to hold out until they release the minimum/recommended specifications, so I hope they get around to that soon.

#6 Shabudua

Shabudua

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 409 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 01:51 AM

My wife still plays GW1 on a mid-range 7-year old computer, and it runs beautifully and buttery-smooth. No other game gets such good graphics out of that old machine. If they put the same system-efficiency genius to work in GW2, very few people will have system requirement woes...well, maybe my wife :)

#7 Mister_Smiley

Mister_Smiley

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1546 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 06:51 PM

Ok this is to help people understand about the Req for GW2, it seems that there are people out there are are wonder about this, Eric Flannum on another thread posted some stuff about system requirements though its nothing official, it will help those people who are worried.

EFlannum/Eric Flannum: System Reqs. We haven't announced our min specs yet but we run pretty modest machines here at work. I've had mine for about 3 years and it wasn't top of the line to begin with (I've got a geforce 8600). The game runs and plays great on my system. Not requiring the latest and greatest hardware to run our games has always been and will continue to be a priority for us.

The Link of this information is:

http://www.quarterto...?t=54030&page=6

Edit: Mods If possible Merge it with Vague hardware information or Delete it/close it.

Edited by Mister_Smiley, 01 May 2010 - 07:45 PM.


#8 athariel

athariel

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1902 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 07:04 PM

Right. The game doesn't look that good to require better hardware. I heard USA players don't upgrade their comps as much, so it would be ridiculous to push the requirements up. I would expect Geforce 5200 FX / Radeon 9550 to be the "minimal settings", as these cards support Shader Model 2.0. I don't think GW2 will have support for shaderless cards. Even laptops have shader support now.

#9 LordArticus

LordArticus

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 07:06 PM

well ive got a XFX geoforce 9800 so i think ill be good XD

#10 Guideborn

Guideborn

    Griffin

  • Members
  • 1714 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 07:09 PM

athariel said:

I heard USA players don't upgrade their comps as much

lol. Where'd you hear that?

#11 Mister_Smiley

Mister_Smiley

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1546 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 07:11 PM

Maglama said:

lol. Where'd you hear that?

The information is good though i am using a 5 year old computer, but i should have a new one when GW2 comes out, so i'm pretty much set.

#12 Huginn

Huginn

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1801 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 07:15 PM

I'm not all that familiar with the computer stuff, so my question is, If my current computer can run games like assassins creed 1 (and/or AC2), will it work for GW2? :p

#13 Naut

Naut

    Pok├ębender

  • Site Contributors
  • 2099 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 07:15 PM

Meh, atm i've got a GeForce 8400. Will I be alright? I can upgrade...

For reference, it could run L4D.. LoL on High Quality and WAR :P

Edited by Naut, 01 May 2010 - 07:19 PM.


#14 Guideborn

Guideborn

    Griffin

  • Members
  • 1714 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 07:16 PM

Huginn said:

I'm not all that familiar with the computer stuff, so my question is, If my current computer can run games like assassins creed 1 (and/or AC2), will it work for GW2? :p

Absolutely. Especially a game like AC.

#15 Mister_Smiley

Mister_Smiley

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1546 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 07:29 PM

Basicly any computer i would say that is around 4 years old or younger will be able to run GW2. Some people who are running top of line from 3 years ago most likely will have no problem with Gw2.

#16 Avoc

Avoc

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 07:33 PM

If a 3.2ghz Quadcore, 1GB HD4890 comp is not enough, then I probably will not be buying GW2 :D

#17 Mister_Smiley

Mister_Smiley

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1546 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 07:37 PM

Shayne Hawke said:

We just had a thread on system requirements here.

So it seams, no wonder i didn't find it, the name Vague hardware information is kinda something that you wouldn't think of off the top of your head.

Edited by Mister_Smiley, 01 May 2010 - 07:40 PM.


#18 Joiry

Joiry

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1300 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 07:37 PM

Although its not a perfectly scientific sampling, the steam HW survey is a useful metric to look at in terms of where a good chunk of the market is.

http://store.steampo...d.com/hwsurvey/

#19 Craywulf

Craywulf

    Legion Commander

  • Members
  • 5273 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 08:03 PM

Joiry thanks for posting that. I had no idea Steam does this.

#20 borovnica

borovnica

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1236 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 08:12 PM

My speculation is that GW2 will require, by modern standards, modest PC to play let's say on medium settings
GF 8600, Core2Duo 2.2 Ghz, of 2 GB of RAM and 4 for Vista and Win7
But for high settings I say 9600 GT and Core2Duo 2.6 GHz or more, maybe Quad core could be better here beacuse of the Havoc engine they are using, but I'm not sure about that :)

Edited by borovnica, 01 May 2010 - 08:13 PM.
misspeled :D


#21 Mertje666

Mertje666

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 08:17 PM

Will Geforce 7600 GS do ?

#22 borovnica

borovnica

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1236 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 08:21 PM

Mertje666 said:

Will Geforce 7600 GS do ?

Dunno,
I think you will be able to run it, but I expect on low graphics.

#23 Biz

Biz

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 2201 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 08:31 PM

Craywulf said:

Joiry thanks for posting that. I had no idea Steam does this.

That's how they figured optimal minimal requirements for Half Life 2 =) Surveying as good as everyone who used Steam for HL1 games.

You will mostly likely be able to scale down the effects and the "pretty" of the game to a point where it will run on just about anything, wither or not you would want to do that is up to you.

#24 Slash Beast

Slash Beast

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1240 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 08:33 PM

I should be good. BFG 9800 GT, core 2 duo 1.86 ghz, 2 gig ram.  :)

#25 Big Ol Norn

Big Ol Norn

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1387 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 08:36 PM

It won't run on everything that GW1 did that's for sure. If anyone's hurt by that they need to reevaluate why the hell they'd want a serious game like GW that people put hundreds to thousands of hours in... yet they don't invest in a good PC to play it. Think about it. It's kind of ridiculous.

#26 bhavv

bhavv

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1675 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 08:40 PM

The graphics dont look that advanced, although they do look very nice for being able to run on low system reqs.

I wouldnt think that a Geforce 5200 would be able to run them though, that card is terribly slow, I reckon that the realistic minimum spec that would still offer decent FPS would be more like a Geforce 6200 - 6600, or ATI X1600 class card, I really dont think that many people are still playing on cards earlier than those.

Even so, if anyone does need to upgrade, the current ATI 5570 - 5770 range are very well priced for what they offer, and wouldnt have any problem with most games out there today.

For CPU and Ram, I would imagine that a 2.2 Ghz dual core and 2 Gb ram would be more than enough for what I've seen in the previews of this game so far.

I am still to be very excited about games with outstanding graphics, but very few in the RPG genre manage to pull off great gameplay while also running stable and bug free. AoC was one such game which turned out to be a major dissapointment. Great graphics yes, but seriously lacking in gameplay and content. I would rather have a game that is focused on gameplay and content and gets both of those correct before worrying about graphics, just as long as we dont get something looking as ancient as WoW that would run on a Geforce 2.

As long as a game based on DX9 as a minimum with good graphics designers, then it really cant end up looking bad at all.

#27 Photonic

Photonic

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 08:44 PM

I think this is all going to depend on your in game settings. I have a feeling that with the Havok engine in the background and full dynamic lights and post processing, you are going to see some serious differences with scaling the settings from low to high.

Also, you are now going to be seeing a LOT of people all at once in battles. The screen will sometimes be filled with enemies and allies...

I would not be surprised if you need an excellent PC at least to run on high at 1920x1080+ with max AA and AF and still get good frames in the Mists and world events.... if that is even possible...

For most people though, I imagine a 3 maybe 4 year old PC will work.

#28 Craywulf

Craywulf

    Legion Commander

  • Members
  • 5273 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 08:44 PM

bhavv said:

The graphics dont look that advanced, although they do look very nice for being able to run on low system reqs.

I wouldnt think that a Geforce 5200 would be able to run them though, that card is terribly slow, I reckon that the realistic minimum spec that would still offer decent FPS would be more like a Geforce 6200 - 6600, or ATI X1600 class card, I really dont think that many people are still playing on cards earlier than those.

Even so, if anyone does need to upgrade, the current ATI 5570 - 5770 range are very well priced for what they offer, and wouldnt have any problem with most games out there today.

For CPU and Ram, I would imagine that a 2.2 Ghz dual core and 2 Gb ram would be more than enough for what I've seen in the previews of this game so far.

I am still to be very excited about games with outstanding graphics, but very few in the RPG genre manage to pull off great gameplay while also running stable and bug free. AoC was one such game which turned out to be a major dissapointment. Great graphics yes, but seriously lacking in gameplay and content. I would rather have a game that is focused on gameplay and content and gets both of those correct before worrying about graphics, just as long as we dont get something looking as ancient as WoW that would run on a Geforce 2.

As long as a game based on DX9 as a minimum with good graphics designers, then it really cant end up looking bad at all.
I hope you realize the graphics are a work in progress. Take a look at GW1 betas videos (Youtube) and you'll see what I'm talking about.

#29 bhavv

bhavv

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1675 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 08:51 PM

Craywulf said:

I hope you realize the graphics are a work in progress. Take a look at GW1 betas videos (Youtube) and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Yea I know, they still have room for more improvement, and implementation of better coding and effects.

I would really like to see something fully scaleable from low end DX9 hardware, up to high end DX11 stuff, if that would ever become possible.

#30 Photonic

Photonic

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 09:01 PM

bhavv said:

Yea I know, they still have room for more improvement, and implementation of better coding and effects.

I would really like to see something fully scaleable from low end DX9 hardware, up to high end DX11 stuff, if that would ever become possible.

DX11 is still in its infancy. It requires a lot of hardware for little benefit at the moment. Until designers start learning the functionally it can give, you will not see it as a huge benefit in a lot of games...

That being said, after release, over the next few years, they will probably update the engine slowly.

Still, you have to be careful. For some reason, the MMO market does not upgrade their PCs as often. So many people feel almost violated when they can't run a game on their 5 year old dusty box... Why they spend 1000s of hours playing a game and will not update the platform they play it on is beyond me.