• Curse Sites
Help
- - - - -

What lies beyond level 30...

level 30 gameplay

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 Pocario

Pocario

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:35 AM

Has anyone actually discussed or wondered about what we'll begin to experience beyond the lower levels of the game? Most of the content we've seen has been in lower level areas, and since we only get 3 days of beta access at any given time, we never really level that far.

It's interesting to think about how much of world we haven't even seen yet, despite how many people are calling it "small." I also find it kind of interesting and coincidental that ANet chose level 30 for the access to Elite skills. Aside from dungeons, is there anything big we should even need these powerful skills for? Is the level 30 threshold going to be where the really intense action starts, and where we'll really need to strategize with our teams/fellow players?

#2 Spunkify

Spunkify

Pale Tree Seedling

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:42 AM

Im press and I got to experience some of the content past lvl 30 at the various Pax events. What I saw was huge events that enveloped entire portions of zones. The event would begin in one small area and expand and expand until you couldnt ignore it. We also were shown the various dragon encounters (plague dragon and the crystal dragon). Both were dumbed down for the events but still presented a significant challenge. I expect these sorts of things to pop up often within GW2.

#3 Pocario

Pocario

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:47 AM

View PostSpunkify, on 29 April 2012 - 06:42 AM, said:

Im press and I got to experience some of the content past lvl 30 at the various Pax events. What I saw was huge events that enveloped entire portions of zones. The event would begin in one small area and expand and expand until you couldnt ignore it. We also were shown the various dragon encounters (plague dragon and the crystal dragon). Both were dumbed down for the events but still presented a significant challenge. I expect these sorts of things to pop up often within GW2.

Woah, you're from MMOhut, aren't you? I should have picked Crystal Desert server, but it was so high in population...

On-topic: I expected that much, especially after seeing the Shatterer event. I just didn't know if we were to expect more of the same that we've been seeing so far. There's a lot of these generic "X monster is invading X location, please stop them and save us." events all over the place...

#4 UssjTrunks

UssjTrunks

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2615 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:49 AM

The Glitchspur Mountains and the Sea of Endless Bugs. :P

#5 Plywood

Plywood

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:35 AM

View PostPocario, on 29 April 2012 - 06:35 AM, said:

Aside from dungeons, is there anything big we should even need these powerful skills for? Is the level 30 threshold going to be where the really intense action starts, and where we'll really need to strategize with our teams/fellow players?

I'm guessing u skip PvP the whole time.

#6 Pocario

Pocario

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:18 PM

View PostPlywood, on 29 April 2012 - 07:35 AM, said:

I'm guessing u skip PvP the whole time.

Well, I haven't tried it yet, but it's pretty much a given that in any game you would need all your skills for PvP...

#7 Garnatian

Garnatian

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 260 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:20 PM

Level 31.

#8 Goldenrice

Goldenrice

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1142 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 05:45 PM

Just hit 35 earlier. Ascalon Instance is awesome, pooping in kids in world pvp with lich form is so funny.  
Posted Image

#9 A V K O

A V K O

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 05:46 PM

View PostGoldenrice, on 29 April 2012 - 05:45 PM, said:

Just hit 35 earlier. Ascalon Instance is awesome, pooping in kids in world pvp with lich form is so funny.  

What is the instance like? Just more Zerg like the events? Any meaningful tactics required or just watching out for yourself?

#10 Quinci

Quinci

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1765 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:26 PM

View PostA V K O, on 29 April 2012 - 05:46 PM, said:

What is the instance like? Just more Zerg like the events? Any meaningful tactics required or just watching out for yourself?

There's a lot of press videos from the dungeons if you are interested. And there's no zerging, they are 5-man only.

#11 A V K O

A V K O

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:11 PM

View PostQuinci, on 29 April 2012 - 06:26 PM, said:

There's a lot of press videos from the dungeons if you are interested. And there's no zerging, they are 5-man only.

The press videos just look like a whole lot of mini-zerg with no thought for what;s happening. That's why I wanted to know from an actual player and not, often clueless press (no offense to any press users).

#12 Jostedalsosten

Jostedalsosten

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1193 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:32 PM

View PostA V K O, on 30 April 2012 - 05:11 PM, said:

The press videos just look like a whole lot of mini-zerg with no thought for what;s happening. That's why I wanted to know from an actual player and not, often clueless press (no offense to any press users).

Clueless press person here, which also happens to have followed Guild Wars 2 intentively since 2009/2010. I did the Ascalon Catacombs in story mode at least 3 times and the exploreable mode (once successfully, two failed attempts).

The story mode can, at least partially, be done in zerg style, however if everyone in your party is level 30 (minimum requirement) some of the bosses are quite challenging (The Lovers, in particular). That said, the story mode is meant to be played once, and it's intented to be accessible to all players, causual as well as hard core.

The exploreable dungeon is a completely different matter. That shit is rock hard, quite litteraly. The successful run consisted of me, a second press representative and three developers (none of whom had done it before, addmittedly), so it's not like we had a party full of "clueless press". Tactics were alfa and omega. We could run into a boss for the first time knowing nothing about the encounter, then fail horridly. The next time we'd try a slightly different approach, fail again, but less hard. Rinse and repeat.

My favourite example of this was a fight against a graveling zerg, where we had to man five trap triggers to impale the gravelings on spikes before they reached the NPC we were protecting. It went well, at first. All the gravelings died instantly to the spikes, easy as pie. Then the champion graveling appeared, and it ran though those spikes as if they were butter. We dropped the traps and jumped in the champion graveling, which resulted in being overrun by the smaller ones as well. Instant fail.

Next attempt we tried to ignore the champion completely, so that we could eliminate all the smaller ones. The champion killed us before we were close to finishing. Next we tried keeping the champion in the trapped area for as long as possible by dropping spirits, turrets and other things that the champion might attack, stopping it from comming to us. It worked, kind of. We took it down to about half health before all the turrets and spirits were down, and then we were overrun again. The solution, after another few attempts, turned out to be that we needed to abandon one of the five traps, then have one person running around like a maniac, kiting the champion graveling inside the trapped area.

That is just an example of how we had to learn from our failures, strategize, utilize each our strenghts and fight well (never standing still was, needless to say, important). Trust me, exploreable mode dungeons are not a zerg fest, and if you think so going into one you're gonna have a bad time ;)

Edited by Jostedalsosten, 30 April 2012 - 05:33 PM.

#13 A V K O

A V K O

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:48 PM

View PostJostedalsosten, on 30 April 2012 - 05:32 PM, said:

Clueless press person here, which also happens to have followed Guild Wars 2 intentively since 2009/2010. I did the Ascalon Catacombs in story mode at least 3 times and the exploreable mode (once successfully, two failed attempts).

The story mode can, at least partially, be done in zerg style, however if everyone in your party is level 30 (minimum requirement) some of the bosses are quite challenging (The Lovers, in particular). That said, the story mode is meant to be played once, and it's intented to be accessible to all players, causual as well as hard core.

The exploreable dungeon is a completely different matter. That shit is rock hard, quite litteraly. The successful run consisted of me, a second press representative and three developers (none of whom had done it before, addmittedly), so it's not like we had a party full of "clueless press". Tactics were alfa and omega. We could run into a boss for the first time knowing nothing about the encounter, then fail horridly. The next time we'd try a slightly different approach, fail again, but less hard. Rinse and repeat.

My favourite example of this was a fight against a graveling zerg, where we had to man five trap triggers to impale the gravelings on spikes before they reached the NPC we were protecting. It went well, at first. All the gravelings died instantly to the spikes, easy as pie. Then the champion graveling appeared, and it ran though those spikes as if they were butter. We dropped the traps and jumped in the champion graveling, which resulted in being overrun by the smaller ones as well. Instant fail.

Next attempt we tried to ignore the champion completely, so that we could eliminate all the smaller ones. The champion killed us before we were close to finishing. Next we tried keeping the champion in the trapped area for as long as possible by dropping spirits, turrets and other things that the champion might attack, stopping it from comming to us. It worked, kind of. We took it down to about half health before all the turrets and spirits were down, and then we were overrun again. The solution, after another few attempts, turned out to be that we needed to abandon one of the five traps, then have one person running around like a maniac, kiting the champion graveling inside the trapped area.

That is just an example of how we had to learn from our failures, strategize, utilize each our strenghts and fight well (never standing still was, needless to say, important). Trust me, exploreable mode dungeons are not a zerg fest, and if you think so going into one you're gonna have a bad time ;)

I appreciate the reply despite the insult I threw your way!

Hm, it certainly does have me interested now. I like the idea of it not being a mindless run through creatures without a care for tactics. It sounds like quite the opposite.