• Curse Sites
Help
- - - - -

Range vs. Melee - My Problem with Guild Wars 2 Combat

Combat Melee vs. Range Personal Opinion

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
33 replies to this topic

#31 Lumm

Lumm

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 384 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:33 AM

View PostGarnatian, on 30 April 2012 - 08:24 AM, said:

The really need a "lock-on" mechanic for Melee weapons. It's rather unfair that Ranged weapons get this mechanic and Melee does not.

No no. This is the way you survive as melee - the lack of lock-on makes it possible for you to outflank your enemy while dishing out serious pain.

To the OP: I believe it is to early to state that melee is lacking. Melee is doing more damage than ranged assuming equal gear. It is enough? I do not know but this needs to be tested with caution and with small changes one step at a time.

(I played melee warrior the entire week end)

#32 nian

nian

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:34 AM

As a melee thief I was constantly dead during boss fights but it was deadlier 1v1. As a ranged necro I would easily get my butt handed to me by a bunch of melee mobs and also in PvP it wasn't very playable, I wasn't doing much dmg and especially rangers were kicking my butt. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I dunno.

#33 Zeroyoshe

Zeroyoshe

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:59 AM

I can say right now,  with certainty,  Melee heavy armor, is much more resilient,  because its defense rated,  much higher than cloth or medium armor,  they can take a hit or two,  not only from casters but other melee as well,  light armor,  with exception of ele for the earth armor buff are paper cannons.  even the necro, with its second life bar,  can only take about 4 direct melee hits before that bar is gone,  its NOT, a tank efficient form.

I was on my Mesmer, and they just guessed right and I got charged by a warrior, and then that two handed sword thrash thing, ate me alive.  a couple times.  I think its play-style,  and tuning that is in order, because from what I have seen melee can be lethal especially wielding a two-hander as weapon swings not only hit melee range be often much further (also could be lag time), and swings hit everything 180 degrees face direction.

heavy armor allows you to take glancing blows as well.  if a tracking spell hits you dead on in the facing position,  there is a chance it could be glancing,  even conditions can be glancing,  meaning you don't suffer the condition, unless its a ground target.  

Medium armor can get glancing blows if target is moving, meaning thief, or ranger, moving out of direct line of target projectile, and melee swing, will often produce a glancing blows,  and take far less damage from it,  or often times no damage at all.

Light armored caster types I am not sure about, as they really are so easy to shred if they get hit by melee.

this has all been from observation,  I dont have anything mechanics from devs or anything.  but I spent a lot of pvp time as warrior, Ranger melee,  and ele, and necro.  and what I have to report seems to be accurate.

so take it with a grain of salt, if you will

#34 Fazicar

Fazicar

Pale Tree Seedling

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:16 PM

View PostZeroyoshe, on 30 April 2012 - 08:59 AM, said:

I was on my Mesmer, and they just guessed right and I got charged by a warrior, and then that two handed sword thrash thing, ate me alive.  a couple times.  I think its play-style,  and tuning that is in order, because from what I have seen melee can be lethal especially wielding a two-hander as weapon swings not only hit melee range be often much further (also could be lag time), and swings hit everything 180 degrees face direction.

The Thrash thing that you are referring to locks a warrior in place, unable to move, it can be avoided by rolling away or side strafeing away for less than a second.  As I said before, the wideness-a-tude-alism of a melee wielder's weapon's swing does matter some but not much, due to the geometry of a circle and the distance one has to side-step at range with the 180 degree honing arc of ranged weapons.  An arc that enables the ability to strafe away at full speed while maintaining DPS.

I'm not trying to discount your experience.  I just think that, the amount of gap-closers that root the subject who uses them and the amount of roots vs. the amounts of stun/movement impairment breakers and gap openers combined with the fact that, as long as you are within range, you never burn a vital cooldown seems to be an imbalance.  Now, that being said.  I love the combat systems potential, and I had a ton of fun this weekend.  I think all these things are fixable, I just hope that they are recognized and addressed.

View PostLeeto, on 30 April 2012 - 08:23 AM, said:

This isnt your normal mmorpg wheres mellee/range classes, every class can have ranged weapon beside guardian and i realy doubt that guardians have problems with kiting. Getting kited? switch weapon.

This is a circular argument though.  Getting Kited --> Switch to Ranged Weapon --> Attacked By Ranged?: OK  Attacked By Melee?: Kite  --> Opponent Switches to Ranged weapon.  

If this is the proper response then why do melee weapons exist in the game?

Edited by Fazicar, 30 April 2012 - 02:17 PM.