• Curse Sites
Help
* * * * * 1 votes

Fun Thief PvP Build (Leaping Death Blossom) with video guide/gameplay!

Thief PvP Gameplay Video

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Flipmeister

Flipmeister

Pale Tree Seedling

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:21 AM

Hello!

So after logging in about 20 hours of pure structured PvP, I have a really interesting Thief build to share with you guys. I had SO much fun with this build. If you want a tactical thief that is mobile, sneaky, and very deadly (1v1 and group), check this one out!

It is centered on this skill:
Leaping Death Blossom: Leap over your opponent, striking nearby enemies three times. Each hit causes bleeding.

Traits (0/0/30/15/25):
http://gw2.luna-atra...ufp92969mjcjik0

Sigils/Runes/Accessories:

Amulet: 813 Condition Dmg, 580 Vitality/Power (with Agate Jewel - 28 ConditionDmg/15 Pow/ 15 Vit)

4x Agate Jewels (on both earrings/rings)

2x Sigil of Minor Corruption - +10 ConditionDmg per kill - Max 25 stacks - lost on downed or weapon swap (on Dagger/Dagger)

2x Sigil of Superior Agony - Bleeds you apply last 10% longer (on Dagger/Dagger)

6x Superior Rune of the Nightmare (+183 ConditionDmg, +10%ConditionDuration, 5% Chance to Fear when hit)

OR

5x Superior Rune of the Nightmare 1x Superior Rune of the Afflicted (28 ConditionDmg)

Videos:
You can watch the video guide I made below. I suggest watching the guide before the gameplay in order to understand what is going on.

Sorry for the quality (I haven't figured out the settings to stream properly). I am also not a very good speaker, so I hope I didn't struggle too much to get my point across.

Guide:
http://www.twitch.tv...ter/b/316642773

PvP Gameplay (with commentary):

http://www.twitch.tv...ter/b/316627049

http://www.twitch.tv...ter/b/316618058

I hope you guys like it!

#2 semiLee

semiLee

Pale Tree Seedling

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:30 AM

i just wondering how do u add more than 1 rune on armors. i couldnt make it done somehow?

#3 Flipmeister

Flipmeister

Pale Tree Seedling

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:38 AM

More than 1 rune on armors? You can only have 1 rune per armor piece.

They get their set bonuses when other armor pieces have the same rune.

#4 semiLee

semiLee

Pale Tree Seedling

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:45 AM

thanks for enlighetning this noob :|

#5 5 |V| 0 |< 1 /V 6

5 |V| 0 |< 1 /V 6

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:00 AM

So glad someone made this build and recorded it. I had planned on something very similar (only some other utilities) but ended up spending the entire weekend in PVE/WvW.

No time to watch yet but i'm sure i'll enjoy it :)

#6 Flipmeister

Flipmeister

Pale Tree Seedling

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:04 AM

Thank you, the video quality is subpar but by the next beta weekend event I will have upgraded by streaming capabilities. I will be able to test more Thief builds and make better guides and gameplay montages!

#7 Breakin

Breakin

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:17 AM

You practically deal no damage.

#8 Flipmeister

Flipmeister

Pale Tree Seedling

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:28 AM

View PostBreakin, on 30 April 2012 - 10:17 AM, said:

Not true. Sure you don't see amazing crits or numbers in the thousands, but having 15-18 stacks of bleed on someone (all within 4-5 seconds) will deal close to 2k damage per second on the target. Not to mention, if there is a big juicy group, all of them gets affected. That has a higher dps output than a (30/30/x/x/x) thief.

I would argue this is a real good playstyle since once you apply your bleeds you are free to stay away from danger or generally being able to do something else.

This is not your faceroll build you can make crit montages out of. It is a tactical thief that requires strategy and battle knowledge.

Edited by Flipmeister, 30 April 2012 - 10:28 AM.

#9 Soazak

Soazak

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 345 posts
  • Guild Tag:[AR]
  • Server:Far Shiverpeaks

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:33 AM

Good to see someone not just spamming C&D  :P

View PostBreakin, on 30 April 2012 - 10:17 AM, said:

lol? Read up on the skill LDB. Just because you're not seeing 9028390230943 flash across your screen doesn't mean he isn't doing a lot of damage.

LDB is based around stacking bleeds and fast damage. If played right, it's insane dps :P

Edited by Soazak, 30 April 2012 - 10:38 AM.

#10 Breakin

Breakin

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:39 AM

View PostFlipmeister, on 30 April 2012 - 10:28 AM, said:

Not true. Sure you don't see amazing crits or numbers in the thousands, but having 15-18 stacks of bleed on someone (all within 4-5 seconds) will deal close to 2k damage per second on the target. Not to mention, if there is a big juicy group, all of them gets affected. That has a higher dps output than a (30/30/x/x/x) thief.

I would argue this is a real good playstyle since once you apply your bleeds you are free to stay away from danger or generally being able to do something else.

This is not your faceroll build you can make crit montages out of. It is a tactical thief that requires strategy and battle knowledge.

I know, I know, relax, I was just being sarcastic, because the damage is too much and this IS the thief faceroll build. The fact that you decided to take some other skills instead of the Venoms just to make it seem less faceroll, doesn't make it any less true bro.

If you want a "tactical thief that requires strategy and battle knowledge", you should play dagger/pistol, or sword/dagger. Now that takes skill.

#11 Calmdown

Calmdown

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:39 AM

Was really impressed with Thief this weekend, although I found that even when they got the drop on me as Warrior they struggled to kill me before they lost momentum and had to run away (which they do very well), and I wasn't even a particularly defensive build. Like most GW2 classes, there is a very notable difference between good Thieves and bad ones.

In team PvP, the burst of a Thief combined with team damage is going to be really good I think. They just need that little bit of extra assistance to push them over the edge. Teams will have to CC or otherwise deal with them quickly. Pretty good class design imho.

Of all of the 2v1s I fought this weekend, I generally found I had no problem (even against good players) killing one of the two before I died, tying them up for a good amount of time, or retreating from them successfully. Until I ran into a couple of guys playing Thieves together, at which point I evaporated with no chance of escape whenever they caught me 2v1 :)

Impressed with the balance of Thieves tbh. It's hard to balance a burst class well and they seem to have done it. They managed to maintain some flavour too.

#12 Flipmeister

Flipmeister

Pale Tree Seedling

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:56 AM

View PostCalmdown, on 30 April 2012 - 10:39 AM, said:

Was really impressed with Thief this weekend, although I found that even when they got the drop on me as Warrior they struggled to kill me before they lost momentum and had to run away (which they do very well), and I wasn't even a particularly defensive build. Like most GW2 classes, there is a very notable difference between good Thieves and bad ones.

In team PvP, the burst of a Thief combined with team damage is going to be really good I think. They just need that little bit of extra assistance to push them over the edge. Teams will have to CC or otherwise deal with them quickly. Pretty good class design imho.

Of all of the 2v1s I fought this weekend, I generally found I had no problem (even against good players) killing one of the two before I died, tying them up for a good amount of time, or retreating from them successfully. Until I ran into a couple of guys playing Thieves together, at which point I evaporated with no chance of escape whenever they caught me 2v1 :)

Impressed with the balance of Thieves tbh. It's hard to balance a burst class well and they seem to have done it. They managed to maintain some flavour too.

I am curious what builds you playtested! Do share.

#13 Calmdown

Calmdown

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:21 AM

View PostFlipmeister, on 30 April 2012 - 10:56 AM, said:

I am curious what builds you playtested! Do share.

That should say "of all the 2v1s I played as Warrior....". I was illustrating the point of how much burst dual Thieves had compared to dual anything else :)

#14 muesli2k4

muesli2k4

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:24 PM

funny i used the same equippment for my condition thief : )
my spec was this: http://gw2.luna-atra...u87889b9m9nj7jv

i tell you this was SICK

#15 Flipmeister

Flipmeister

Pale Tree Seedling

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:38 PM

View Postmuesli2k4, on 30 April 2012 - 12:24 PM, said:

funny i used the same equippment for my condition thief : )
my spec was this: http://gw2.luna-atra...u87889b9m9nj7jv

i tell you this was SICK

I would actually suggest using Superior Rune of the Afflicted for your build:

• +28 condition damage
  • +15% bleed duration
  • +55 condition damage
  • +15% poison duration
  • +100 condition damage
  • You create a death nova when you go down. (cooldown: 30 sec.)

#16 muesli2k4

muesli2k4

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:56 PM

well yes for the dmg aspect it would be better but the ohter conditions from the poisons would lose their +10% and since bleed and poisons are conditions too i dont know if the +5% are worth the tradeoff.

the most ridiciulous thing about this spec is that the cooldown of the poisons does start immediately after you activate them, so it is possible with the cd reduction that you have 2 stacks of them up for 9 seconds.
And with the trait to give them to your nearby allies you can apply them to your whole team at match start and even the +one extra hit applies to your ally.

with this i won every 1v1 and alot of 1v3s.

just spend all your start initiative + steal ini on LDB then switch to P/D and kite them with your 1slot skill and calltrops from dodging.
If your health gets low use the stealthheal and apply more bleeds with your pistol stealth attack. As soon as your weaponswitch is of cooldown use it and spam with your regenerated ini LDB again.

#17 FierceFang

FierceFang

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:00 PM

I like your traits, man. I wasn't able to play this weekend but I heard a lot of complaints about melee getting blown up which was sort of discouraging. Then, I remembered what people are like and figured they probably just went something like 30/30/0/0/10.

#18 Flipmeister

Flipmeister

Pale Tree Seedling

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:29 PM

View PostFierceFang, on 30 April 2012 - 09:00 PM, said:

I like your traits, man. I wasn't able to play this weekend but I heard a lot of complaints about melee getting blown up which was sort of discouraging. Then, I remembered what people are like and figured they probably just went something like 30/30/0/0/10.

Yeah, a lot of the thieves I talked to in the beta were trying hard to make 30/30/x/x/x work. In my own attempts to make 30/30/x/x/x work, it only helped if I had the vitality amulet (bumps you up to ~18k health from 10k) and used evasive/stealth utilities (at the cost of damage potential). Unfortunately, once your defensive cooldowns were blown, you'd be dead before you have time to dish out your burst.

I really suggest medium to deep investment in Shadow Arts or Acrobatics. Dead dps = 0 dps.

#19 FierceFang

FierceFang

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:21 PM

Exactly. Range has the luxury of running full offense builds in groups. Though, I WILL try an assassin/berserker (on the warrior) build eventually just to see if I can pull off important kills during group fights and escape while allowing my team to clean up. This should be especially fun and challenging in WvW's.

#20 WWJasonD

WWJasonD

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 96 posts
  • Profession:Thief
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:34 PM

was really impressed in the guide video. The guard's health went down really quick without touching him. Much easier to see on that video than the pvp ones.

#21 ikaykai

ikaykai

Pale Tree Seedling

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:54 PM

I was also playing this Build this weekend and its soo awesome. I´ve made some videos of it like this one:

You can clearly see those numbers from bleeding, the damage is amazing.

#22 Ringsgold

Ringsgold

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:58 PM

Cool guide, I'll be trying something like this next BWE for sure :)

#23 Uder

Uder

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 327 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 03:45 PM

I don´t think this build is viable if players start to realise how to play their classes, there are a lot of condition removers and as you experienced in your own videos, you can´t do anything against those, plus a good speced warrior or engineer will stun or immobilize you easily.

The problem with this build is:

- conditions stacking can be removed very easily
- damage isnt instant, it takes time
- no stun, snare, root counter

#24 muesli2k4

muesli2k4

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 05:53 AM

View PostUder, on 02 May 2012 - 03:45 PM, said:

I don´t think this build is viable if players start to realise how to play their classes, there are a lot of condition removers and as you experienced in your own videos, you can´t do anything against those, plus a good speced warrior or engineer will stun or immobilize you easily.

The problem with this build is:

- conditions stacking can be removed very easily
- damage isnt instant, it takes time
- no stun, snare, root counter

Yes these things counter the condition build very well, but i think that these counters just make the build balanced, because without them condition damage would be dominating.
That is also the reason why i had such an good time with this build (http://gw2.luna-atra...u87889b9m9nj7jv), because in the BWE there were very few people using condition removals ^^

There are also other positive tings about a condition build wich may not be seen on first sight:

1. thoughness doesn´t seem to effect condition damage (i didn´t test it exactly but i noticed that my Dot damage was always the same)
2. if you plan on doing 90% damage through conditions, you just need to stack +condition damage and nothing else, so there is room for more vitality and thoughness.

#25 Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 11:42 PM

Ill be honest, your build could have so much more damage. Having so many stealth traits seems to make you weak on damage and not give that much Extra survival considering the amount of points you have in it.

You could build into crit strikes, and have double 60% chance to bleed on crit sigils. It would buff up your damage loadss.
Or simply go into deadly arts and deal extra damage to targets with conditions

#26 xyzleech

xyzleech

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:57 AM

LDB-spammage, how entertaining might that be...

#27 128palms

128palms

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 54 posts
  • Guild Tag:[WoA]

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:53 AM

my pet on my ranger does more dmg per hit then that entire bleeds in your videos.... true story.

#28 Scarlet_Blossom

Scarlet_Blossom

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1411 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:18 AM

This thread is like 8237476 months old.... true story.

#29 Nilgoow

Nilgoow

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:23 AM

hello

#30 Am0n

Am0n

#1 Thief

• Community Contributors
  • 374 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 03:37 PM

128palms should be beaten for digging up graves!

A Blog for Thief PvP - My Youtube Channel

Practice + Determination =/= Coincidence

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Thief, PvP, Gameplay, Video

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users