Firstly, let me say that the game is fantastic. It covers pretty much everything that I want after a long day at work; whether that be calming exploration, team work oriented zerging or fast paced, action packed PvP.
But just like any other game in it's beta stages, there are things that I didn't like, and also things that I would like to see. Here's a short list of things I feel need addressing.
- Ping: There is currently no indicator that I could find of your ping to the server. As an Australian playing a game that is so centered around reactive and positioned combat, I would like to be able to see what I am dealing with in terms of lag (your playstyle actually adjusts to compensate for lag, even if you don't realise it).
- FPS: This wasn't such an issue since I always had the Fraps FPS counter running, but an inbuilt way to see your FPS would be handy.
- Target of target: While zerging seems to be a big part of random, fun events, melee are at a clear disadvantage- especially with the abundance of mobs that have no qualms about 1-shotting you. What I would love is to be able to see the Target of your Target in a little frame. This will help several things, like me knowing to run away instead of occasionally dodging a big AoE attack and accepting the inevitability that I will, at some point, be 1 shot from a direct attack. It will also help with pre-emptive support abilities (ie. adding a smoke screen) if you see the aggro switch to a ranged player.
- Point to click: Over the years I've come to rely on PtC.. I always play with 2 monitors and have naturally come to rely on PtC and then doing something on my other screen for the 20 or so seconds. Autorun is annoying and I tend not to use it; when was the last time you had to run in a long straight line?
- Repositionable loot window: More than once I looted a nice upgrade, but because I was so caught up in the action, I didn't notice the tiny icon that appeared in the bottom right hand corner of my screen (although I play on a 55" screen, so it may be more noticible for people that are closer to their screens).
- Queue progress: WvW was almost always full in prime time. You had to queue, but had no indication on if you were actually in a queue, or how large it was. Also it would be nice to know if you were restricted to your zone while waiting in the queue. Any form of counter or acknowledgement that you are in a queue would be better than none. Again, I only found this to be an issue when queueing for the Eternal battleground (WvWvw)
- Chat customization: I'd like to see more options for filtering out my chat box. Also being able to change channel colours, seeing as I am not a fan of Guild chat being the colour of poop.
- Chat: To further expand on chat; I'd like more channels, and also some clarity on some of the chat. Currently I didn't find any range indicator on "Local" chat; it obviously wasn't zone-wide, although sometimes it seemed that it was. An immediate(distance) chat would be nice too, similar to /say in WoW, while also having a zone-wide chat
- Guild invites, promotions etc need to be announced in the chat window.
- Clock: There is no clock on the UI!! Surely this would have to be an intentional decision; but why? What an annoyance.
- Character control: Not being able to control your character while looking at the map was annoying too. I look at the map to see I am heading slightly in the wrong direction; I'd like to be able to turn while still running with the map open so that I can position myself towards the correct direction
- Who: Some form of a /who search with parameters would be valuable too. Especially while leveling, I like to see who the highest level is or what guild is thriving and also for various other reasons.
- Zoom: I speak for many when I say that we'd like to be able to zoom all the way in to a 1st-person view. Personally I found taking screenshots an annoyance when trying to get the giant head of my character out of frame.
Those are a few things I jotted down while playing the beta.
One thing I will say that I found was a huge annoyance (probably the biggest one; although may be directly related to lag) was that there seemed to be a queue system for abilities-- This is bad if you are a button masher like I am. More often than not I found myself spamming an ability that wouldn't go off immediately (lag) and then when it would go off, it'd end up triggering 3-4 times, using up all my initiative. There should be no queue system for abilities. You should be able to press a button, and then every button you press after that should be irrelevant and have no effect (until the ability has finished ofcourse, at which point you'd spam the next button).
Another point which is relevant to my last point is that there needs to be some sort of (client side?) fix to warping abilities. ALL the time, I would use a warp abilit, such as Shadowstep or the dodge roll while I had been attacking. Now because of this ability queue system, I'd get ported right back to my target to do the attack. This was a big problem because a lot of the time I would shadowstep out or dodge roll to avoid a big AoE attack from a large mob, only to be warped right back in front of him to do an ability that I had been spamming BEFORE my warp and proceeding to be 1-shot.
Some videos I've already uploaded:
Thief PvP (battlegrounds) (23~ min):
Login screen with video/audio option and full background music: https://www.youtube....h?v=Kp-QiQNxui0
Lion's Arch tour (18~ min): https://www.youtube....h?v=U83dQB_NVK4
Event compilation (1hr): https://www.youtube....h?v=7JMn45Ndu_0 <- some of my favourite memories of the beta are in here
Thief combat (13~ min): https://www.youtube....h?v=TZ3sEpqeiMw
I've got more clips that I'm sorting through; primarily exploration and action packed PvP which should be uploaded in the next few days.
Edited by Rades, 03 May 2012 - 12:12 PM.