Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Help
- - - - -

Gaming Keyboards


This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
44 replies to this topic

#1 SirGamesalot

SirGamesalot

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 507 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 09:28 AM

Hello, what would you guys advice me to use for a keyboard when playing GW2? I'm planing on buying a new keyboard sometime, but I'm not entirely sure which one. I don't have the money right now, but I am better at saving when I have something to save for. I am using the Razer naga (molten), so I don't really need a keyboard with easy to reach 1-0 buttons (Like the steel series merc) I am looking for a high quality gaming keyboard for using on MMORPG's. Right now I am using the standard Microsoft keyboard that came with when I bought my gaming rig, and I am really looking forward to switching it out.

Some qualities I want:
Really cool looking (backlights)
Responsive buttons
Some macros (Dont need to many)
A gaming mode that removes the windows button (I have died countless times becouse of that)
Non glossy (It gets so dusty and fingerprint'y)

Some qualities I don't need:
USB port on the keyboard itself (Got like 10 in the back of my computer and 5 in the front)  
Multimedia controls (Although it can be convenient, its not like I'm gonna need it)

Some keyboards that I have looked at and thing kind of fit for me:

Saitek Cyborg v.7 (Although I have heard many people complaining about faulty productions, like the touch pads not working, the software not working, and certain buttons getting stuck)

The alienware TactX keyboard (I have no other alienware stuff, so it would be kind of weird, its really expensive, and the only place you can buy it is from del's site (I dont trust amazon, e-bay and sites like that))

Various razer keyboards (I find them kind of plain looking, I am a big fan of customizational backlights. They are also a bit costy.)

I have read allot of reviews, both for these and other keyboards, but I just cant decide. What do you guys think? What would be a cool looking high quality gaming keyboard?

EDIT: Also, what are the differences between mechanical and non mechanical keyboards? Whats best?

Edited by SirGamesalot, 12 May 2012 - 09:29 AM.


#2 Scarlet_Blossom

Scarlet_Blossom

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1411 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 09:31 AM

If you want responsive buttons you can pretty much limit your search and only look for keyboards with cherry red or black switches. However most of the keyboards that do have cherry switches aren't all that flashy, so I have no real suggestion for you.

#3 Tubbz

Tubbz

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 09:35 AM

View PostSirGamesalot, on 12 May 2012 - 09:28 AM, said:

Hello, what would you guys advice me to use for a keyboard when playing GW2? I'm planing on buying a new keyboard sometime, but I'm not entirely sure which one. I don't have the money right now, but I am better at saving when I have something to save for. I am using the Razer naga (molten), so I don't really need a keyboard with easy to reach 1-0 buttons (Like the steel series merc) I am looking for a high quality gaming keyboard for using on MMORPG's. Right now I am using the standard Microsoft keyboard that came with when I bought my gaming rig, and I am really looking forward to switching it out.

Some qualities I want:
Really cool looking (backlights)
Responsive buttons
Some macros (Dont need to many)
A gaming mode that removes the windows button (I have died countless times becouse of that)
Non glossy (It gets so dusty and fingerprint'y)

Some qualities I don't need:
USB port on the keyboard itself (Got like 10 in the back of my computer and 5 in the front)  
Multimedia controls (Although it can be convenient, its not like I'm gonna need it)

Some keyboards that I have looked at and thing kind of fit for me:

Saitek Cyborg v.7 (Although I have heard many people complaining about faulty productions, like the touch pads not working, the software not working, and certain buttons getting stuck)

The alienware TactX keyboard (I have no other alienware stuff, so it would be kind of weird, its really expensive, and the only place you can buy it is from del's site (I dont trust amazon, e-bay and sites like that))

Various razer keyboards (I find them kind of plain looking, I am a big fan of customizational backlights. They are also a bit costy.)

I have read allot of reviews, both for these and other keyboards, but I just cant decide. What do you guys think? What would be a cool looking high quality gaming keyboard?

EDIT: Also, what are the differences between mechanical and non mechanical keyboards? Whats best?
to be quite honest mate ive used a g15 for years and i know there are more up to date ones now so go look for a logitech G series, other than that razer is gonna be the one for you. only good quality gaming keyboards i know to be honest.

#4 SirGamesalot

SirGamesalot

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 507 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 09:36 AM

Well, I guess they don't have to be ultra responsive, as long as they'r not laggy. Regular responsive Is really enough for me.

#5 Znake

Znake

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 09:36 AM

I've been using Razer Blackwidow Ultimate for a while now and I've been happy with mine. Even though you did say you find Razer keyboards plain looking, at least this one would fill all of your requirements at the top.

I don't know how you would want to customize your backlights but Blackwidow Ultimate has 4 different light settings (3x brightness + pulse) and off setting.

Edited by Znake, 12 May 2012 - 09:37 AM.


#6 Matsy

Matsy

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 3105 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 09:36 AM

Mabye, Microsoft SideWinder X4 (very VERY good)
Or Logitech G110, again very good, all the logitech G's are very good.

Loads of choices just search gaming keyboards on google, there's lot of different variations.

Edited by Matsy, 12 May 2012 - 09:37 AM.


#7 SirGamesalot

SirGamesalot

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 507 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 09:43 AM

I know there are many possibilities. The problem really, is that there are to many If i were to check out every keyboard indepth I would never be done. Just want opinions :)

Edited by SirGamesalot, 12 May 2012 - 09:44 AM.


#8 Trixh

Trixh

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1240 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 10:51 AM

If you ignore the flashy part. Since it is all about being better at the game unless you want to take pictures of your keyboard and show them to you enemy's :).

I recommend the Steelseries 6Gv2. http://steelseries.c...teelseries-6gv2

Pros:
Mechanical so nice responsive
Build to last (No cheap stuff)
Windows button is disabled
Anti Ghosting (You can press all buttons on the keyboard at the same time and they will all register)

Cons:
He aint flashy :)
  No macro's

Its a great keyboard and not very expensive for what you get. It has some media controls on there as well but since you did not needed them I did not mentioned it :).

P.S The thing is "Angry german kid proof".

Edited by Trixh, 12 May 2012 - 10:53 AM.


#9 musibatkhan

musibatkhan

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 570 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 11:36 AM

i use razer lycosa mirror ..... it has all those things that you mentioned except that it has a glossy finish.

I personally love it.

it goes well with my naga mouse both have blue lights.

#10 SirGamesalot

SirGamesalot

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 507 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 12:32 PM

Has anyone had any experience with Saitek Cyborg v7? It has been in my dreams for a long time, but that's mostly the ascetics.

http://images.search...9&start=0&pos=2

#11 DarkMarauder

DarkMarauder

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 12:39 PM

Id definitely recommend a Logitech board, G510 G110 are great, they have customised backlighting, a windows button lock so you dont accidently minimise and die, some extra keys for macros, 3 profiles which you can change on the go, and you can record new macros on the go as well.

The main thing i love about my G510, and most Logitech keyboards though is they just feel so good. Their solid and the keys have this great feel to them, they also have a good track record for lasting a long time.

#12 Matsy

Matsy

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 3105 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 01:12 PM

One thing that gets me about the logitech keyboards.
The macro buttons are on the far left of the keyboard and theres 12 of them in all.
What exactly...do you do with them?
You cant really bind skills to them because they are too far away from WASD, so what are they used for?

I would just get a sidewinder x4 if I could change the backlight color, because the macro keys dont take up too much space.

Edited by Matsy, 12 May 2012 - 01:29 PM.


#13 h4lcyon

h4lcyon

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 01:16 PM

Mechanical are generally better. I have a steelseries 6gv2, BUT, in this game, I found I often accidentally dodged because the keys are so sensitive. I hope I get used to it...

#14 Fatalis

Fatalis

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 2708 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 01:20 PM

View Posth4lcyon, on 12 May 2012 - 01:16 PM, said:

Mechanical are generally better. I have a steelseries 6gv2, BUT, in this game, I found I often accidentally dodged because the keys are so sensitive. I hope I get used to it...

You can disable double-tap to dodge, and just use a dodge key.

#15 SirGamesalot

SirGamesalot

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 507 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 01:47 PM

View PostMatsy, on 12 May 2012 - 01:12 PM, said:

One thing that gets me about the logitech keyboards.
The macro buttons are on the far left of the keyboard and theres 12 of them in all.
What exactly...do you do with them?
You cant really bind skills to them because they are too far away from WASD, so what are they used for?

I would just get a sidewinder x4 if I could change the backlight color, because the macro keys dont take up too much space.

I agree with you that there isnt really any point to have so many macros. I dont know of any macros I need atm, but I will probably find something to have on macros later. One thing I don't really like with the Logitech keyboards is that  there is like a whole new pad of buttons on the side. With the different users its like 36-54 macros. It looks kind of ugly and feels pointless. On the saitek cyborg, you have 6 buttons on each side, and they look great. I can imagine putting commands there (like /laugh, or whatever).

Edited by SirGamesalot, 12 May 2012 - 01:51 PM.


#16 Matsy

Matsy

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 3105 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 01:50 PM

Why can't there be a nice simple keyboard with just the normal buttons buttons on with a changeable backlight and of decent build quality.

:(

Like a steelseries 6GV2, but not mechanical(expencive) and with a backlight

Edited by Matsy, 12 May 2012 - 01:53 PM.


#17 Quaker

Quaker

    Technician

  • Technicians
  • 3346 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 02:21 PM

The new Corsair mechanical keyboards look nice.
http://www.corsair.c...-keyboards.html

Edit - btw, I'm using a Logitech G19 at this time. It works well enough. The newer G510, G110 may be better. One of the problems with this whole subject is that these keyboards cost too much to just buy a bunch and try them out. You can read reviews and /or ask for opinions, but basically they all work well, but they may not work the way you want, and of course, there's 'looks' :)
The G19 and G510 have built in LCD screens, which are not as useful as they may sound. ;)

Edited by Quaker, 13 May 2012 - 02:00 PM.


#18 Dream Catcher

Dream Catcher

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 2358 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 02:38 PM

View PostMatsy, on 12 May 2012 - 09:36 AM, said:

Mabye, Microsoft SideWinder X4 (very VERY good)
Or Logitech G110, again very good, all the logitech G's are very good.

Loads of choices just search gaming keyboards on google, there's lot of different variations.

I have the Microsoft SideWinder X6 Keyboard with detachable number pad it works perfectly.

Skill > Time = Reality


#19 DarkMarauder

DarkMarauder

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 02:46 PM

View PostMatsy, on 12 May 2012 - 01:12 PM, said:

One thing that gets me about the logitech keyboards.
The macro buttons are on the far left of the keyboard and theres 12 of them in all.
What exactly...do you do with them?
You cant really bind skills to them because they are too far away from WASD, so what are they used for?

I would just get a sidewinder x4 if I could change the backlight color, because the macro keys dont take up too much space.

Well before i got my G13, i used those rows on my G510 for wasd and all of my skills.

Had wasd in the centre 6, and that left me with 12 easy to access skills above and below wasd, whilst still having easy access to shift alt etc. It made gaming a lot easier imo.

#20 menikmati

menikmati

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 03:01 PM

http://www.kpsurplus..._keyboard/23015 is what i use and i refuse to use any keyboard that doesnt have that gap in the center. all the buttons i need to keybind are on the left and it also feels much better on my wrists for typing.

#21 Fatalis

Fatalis

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 2708 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 03:17 PM

I'd highly suggest a mechanical keyboard.

The feel of the keys really in my opinion is the absolute most important part of the keyboard.

#22 tijo

tijo

    Technician

  • Technicians
  • 3176 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 03:21 PM

View PostQuaker, on 12 May 2012 - 02:21 PM, said:

The new Corsair mechanical keyboards look nice.
http://www.corsair.c...-keyboards.html

I was gonna suggest the K90. :P blue backlight, plenty of macros, cherry mx red, built like a tank to survive ragequits.

Cheaper option would be the sidewinder X4 which is an excellent value for the money. The Black Widow Stealth Edition is non glossy as well. I don't like some of the things on it, but it still is a great keyboard with MX Brown switches which is much better than blues for gaming if you ask me.

Edited by tijo, 12 May 2012 - 03:21 PM.


#23 Deep_Sea_Monkey

Deep_Sea_Monkey

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 11:04 AM

I use Razer Anansi, its not mechanical but it is a good mmo key board, it has extra buttons down the left hand side of keyboard and more buttons under the space bar that you can reach with your thumb. All keys can be changed in the software that comes with it, and macros are endless, it also has lighting that can be changed though a lot of different colour's
  • 7 thumb modifier keys
  • Over 100 programmable Hyperesponse keys
  • One-button profile switching
  • Five additional gaming keys
  • Optimized key matrix
  • Gaming mode option
  • Easy access media keys
  • Approximate Size : 515 mm / 20.28” (Width) x 190 mm / 7.48” (Height) x 20 mm / 0.79” (Depth)
  • Approximate Weight: 1020 g / 2.24 lbs
[color=#00FF00 !important]Designed and engineered especially for the MMO gamer, the Razer Anansi is the world’s first keyboard that raises your level of gameplay by giving you the power to instantly use up to 7x more commands and abilities over the current ±12 ability keys you now have. Its seven thumb modifier keys located below the space bar allow you to actuate every possible combination of modifier key (shift, ctrl, alt) in total accuracy and comfort using a single key stroke, exponentially expanding the repertoire of spells, abilities and macros you have at your command.

From the casual MMO gamer to the serious hardcore raider, the Razer Anansi will take you to the head of the pack in both PVE and PVP action. Combine it with the Razer Naga MMOG mouse to use the Razer Anansi’s 7 thumb modifier keys seamlessly with the 12-button mouse keypad, giving you an unprecedented level of battle control while dual-wielding the world’s most phenomenal weapons for dragon slaying dominance.
[/color] Posted Image 7 thumb modifier keys
Say goodbye to the days of fumbling with your awkward key binds in the middle of a hectic boss fight or PVP skirmish. Seven thumb-based modifier keys allow you to increase the number of commands you are able to execute from your current ±12 ability keys to 7x that number, allowing you to both instantly and effortlessly actuate every possible in-game spell or ability and still have room for dozens of your own custom macros. Posted Image 100+ programmable keys with on-the-fly macro recording
The Razer Anansi’s fully-programmable keys allow you to further expand your repertoire of boss-killing macros, giving you total control with convenient and instantaneous command executions. In addition, you can switch between up to 20 profiles for each game or avatar at the press of a button. Posted Image Five additional gaming macro keys
Whether it’s vanquishing your adversaries or preparing for your next quest, the five additional gaming macro keys on the left side of the Razer Anansi let you easily access extra abilities and commands such as switching equipment presets and buffing your team mates.

http://store.razerzo...uctID.220723800

Edited by Deep_Sea_Monkey, 13 May 2012 - 11:05 AM.


#24 Essence Snow

Essence Snow

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 521 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 01:16 PM

Considering a Microsoft Sidewinder x4 myself.....most of all the reviews are great (only negative were the markings wearing off after excessive use) and at $45....seems to be hard to beat.

#25 baels

baels

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 2185 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 01:36 PM

I like the Logitech G110. Simple, looks good, backlit. Responsive keys, macro buttons.

#26 Grymor

Grymor

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 01:40 PM

I use Razer Black widow Ultimate :)
has all the macro buttons i need, backlighting and of course the all important G lock(windows key disabled)

#27 Green Book

Green Book

    Vanguard Scout

  • Site Contributors
  • 167 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 03:11 PM

View Posttijo, on 12 May 2012 - 03:21 PM, said:

I was gonna suggest the K90. :P blue backlight, plenty of macros, cherry mx red, built like a tank to survive ragequits.


I was eyeballing the K90 myself for a bit.  I wouldn't buy it just yet, though. Unlike the M90 mouse, Macro support for the K90 doesn't work at all. You can't program anything on it untill they update their software.

#28 Niila

Niila

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 06:42 PM

View PostFatalis, on 12 May 2012 - 03:17 PM, said:

I'd highly suggest a mechanical keyboard.

The feel of the keys really in my opinion is the absolute most important part of the keyboard.

Seconded. I just absolutely love my Filco majestouch tenkeyless with brown switches. No shiny leds, no macros. Just pure typing performance and gaming bliss with the tactile feeling to the keys. I also expect it to last pretty much forever (they say mx switches should last for 50 million keypresses)

#29 Leontes

Leontes

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 276 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 09:46 PM

I use the basic Razer Black Widow because I like the feel of Cherry MX Blues, but I don't use any of its actual features. It's USB so it doesn't have Nkey rollover but it has an optimized anti-ghosting matrix around WASD.

Not the backlit one; I didn't want to spend $50 on lights :P

#30 Coooturtle

Coooturtle

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1383 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 02:51 AM

I have a razer blackwidow. REALLY nice mechanical keyboard, the keys are prolly the best I have used on a keyboard, and I can notice that I am typing faster with less mistakes. Also, because its razer, the software is amazing, and you can customize crazy macros, and change the buttons around and everything. Also, the ultimate version comes with backlighting, an extra USB, mic, and heaphone jack. I just went with the standard because I dont really want to pay extra money for those.