• Curse Sites
Help
- - - - -

4GB vs. 8GB RAM for this spec?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 blaze0177

blaze0177

Pale Tree Seedling

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 05:21 PM

I had previously posted if this laptop will run GW2 and it can

http://www.simplyace...5G_1201803.html

However there is another model which features 8GB of ram opposed to the 4GB in this model, and that is for an extra £40. Would it be worth it or not?

Thanks for any advice!

#2 tijo

tijo

Technician

• Technicians
  • 3169 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 05:29 PM

It really depends on what other tasks you're planning on running along with GW2. EVen if you get the 4GB model, you can always upgrade to 8GB yourself later.

#3 blaze0177

blaze0177

Pale Tree Seedling

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 05:38 PM

View Posttijo, on 19 May 2012 - 05:29 PM, said:

It really depends on what other tasks you're planning on running along with GW2. EVen if you get the 4GB model, you can always upgrade to 8GB yourself later.

If I was playing GW2 itd be on its own with nothing else going on, at the most firefox and/or itunes in the background?

#4 Azhrarn

Azhrarn

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 05:38 PM

View Postblaze0177, on 19 May 2012 - 05:21 PM, said:

I had previously posted if this laptop will run GW2 and it can

http://www.simplyace...5G_1201803.html

However there is another model which features 8GB of ram opposed to the 4GB in this model, and that is for an extra £40. Would it be worth it or not?

Thanks for any advice!

I'd get the 8GB version, simply because the difference in price is so small.
It's not bad to have more RAM, so if the difference is that small, go for it. As 64-bit OS' get more common, more programs should be getting 64-bit clients, and be able to use all of that RAM.

It's not needed for Guild Wars 2, simply because the game doesn't have a 64-bit client (it might get one later, who knows), but right now, it doesn't so it really can't use more than 4 GB of RAM even if it wanted to.

#5 blaze0177

blaze0177

Pale Tree Seedling

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 05:46 PM

View PostAzhrarn, on 19 May 2012 - 05:38 PM, said:

I'd get the 8GB version, simply because the difference in price is so small.
It's not bad to have more RAM, so if the difference is that small, go for it. As 64-bit OS' get more common, more programs should be getting 64-bit clients, and be able to use all of that RAM.

It's not needed for Guild Wars 2, simply because the game doesn't have a 64-bit client (it might get one later, who knows), but right now, it doesn't so it really can't use more than 4 GB of RAM even if it wanted to.

It would depend on how much I can sell my current laptop for since im kinda on a tight budget, there is no fixed price for it as HP dont sell it anymore:
HP G61-100
Processor:Celeron Dual Core T3100 @ 1.9GHz
4GB RAM
Integrated Intel 4 Series Express Graphics
Bluetooth and all those bells and whistles

I mean its in perfect condition so it would depend on its price I guess