• Curse Sites
Help
* * * - - 4 votes

What will keep u playing until the end of times?

Endgame Grinding Hardcore gamers

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
190 replies to this topic

#181 Stargate

Stargate

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1766 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 01:10 AM

View PostBrynjar, on 28 May 2012 - 11:16 PM, said:

Correct. That's why I said "level 5 area" instead of "level 5 event"; in other words, an area where a higher-level player would be downranked to level 5. Though I wonder why you call it 'sidekicking', when that name usually refers to partnering up for the level change to take place - which isn't true in GW2. I can explain the system to you in a PM, if you still don't fully understand.

Okay. And when you are level 800 and go into a level 5 area, you will still be level 5.
I only mentioned sidekicking as a reference since it does not make you either as powerful. No PM needed since you do not understand. When a level 80 is scaled to a level 5 Event that player is pehaps level 8 or 9 so still more powerful.

Finally in Mist PvP a level 1 sidekicked to level 80 does not have a chance against a true max level 80 unless he falls asleep on his keyboard. You can also stop your ridiculous example of 800 levels . After fist expansion my guess(could be slightly more or less) the new max level would be perhaps 100. Please stop arguing now and enough said.

Edited by Stargate, 29 May 2012 - 01:11 AM.

#182 DarkWalker

DarkWalker

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 01:06 PM

View PostBrynjar, on 28 May 2012 - 11:16 PM, said:

Though I wonder why you call it 'sidekicking', when that name usually refers to partnering up for the level change to take place - which isn't true in GW2.

Because both ANet and the fan sites have used "sidekicking" to describe the dynamic level adjustment in the past?

#183 CoffeeMug

CoffeeMug

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 258 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 01:53 PM

View PostDarkWalker, on 29 May 2012 - 01:06 PM, said:

Because both ANet and the fan sites have used "sidekicking" to describe the dynamic level adjustment in the past?

Yep.  And IIRC, the Sidekick system was originally slated to adjust up AND down, but I think they changed it to just down.

#184 Stargate

Stargate

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1766 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 02:03 PM

View PostCoffeeMug, on 29 May 2012 - 01:53 PM, said:

Yep.  And IIRC, the Sidekick system was originally slated to adjust up AND down, but I think they changed it to just down.
As it should be! On the other hand actually it works upwards you simply do NOT get acces to same skills and equipment but you have same basic stats. Stop whining(not meant to you Coffeemug) In WOW a level 50 character would not be able to damage a level 85 character. In GW2 a duel between sidekicked level 1 and true max level of course max level win it clear marigin as should be! However the sidekicked person might still be able to do some damage to the max player(impossible in WOW) and in The Mist PvP it is the strength of numbers/vechiles etc. that matter a lot.

I love the Mist PvP so can avoid the boring equal shit. Those who want to do equal odds can enjoy sPvP.

Edited by Stargate, 29 May 2012 - 02:11 PM.

#185 SchurgeMarauder

SchurgeMarauder

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 11:59 PM

If I consistently have as much fun doing solo or small scale PvP in WvWvW as I did in Warhammer Online's open-world RvR I will be actively playing for years.

I played that game for over three years starting at release, not including Beta's. During that time, all but six months were devoted to one character... my Marauder. I stopped caring about rank and gear at around rr55 (so it took me longer then others to get to 80) I just liked killing players. I was always the guy who sacrificed defencive ticks to go kill the people that tried to take something we had already capped. The only reason I am not playing now is because of the population coupled with Bioware-Mythic's wasting of resources on a stupid arena-game.

If the WvWvW is good, I won't need a treadmill. If it's bad I'll still be buying the expansions as the Guild Wars campaigns were awesome and justified the purchases even though I didn't like the PvP. Guild Wars and Tabula Rasa were the only online games I played for PvE and it looks like Guild Wars 2 will be combining both of them with Warhammer Online so... No matter what I'm buying boxes and if the WvWvW is good I'll always be active.

#186 Stargate

Stargate

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1766 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 02:00 PM

View PostSchurgeMarauder, on 29 May 2012 - 11:59 PM, said:

If I consistently have as much fun doing solo or small scale PvP in WvWvW as I did in Warhammer Online's open-world RvR I will be actively playing for years.

I played that game for over three years starting at release, not including Beta's. During that time, all but six months were devoted to one character... my Marauder. I stopped caring about rank and gear at around rr55 (so it took me longer then others to get to 80) I just liked killing players. I was always the guy who sacrificed defencive ticks to go kill the people that tried to take something we had already capped. The only reason I am not playing now is because of the population coupled with Bioware-Mythic's wasting of resources on a stupid arena-game.

If the WvWvW is good, I won't need a treadmill. If it's bad I'll still be buying the expansions as the Guild Wars campaigns were awesome and justified the purchases even though I didn't like the PvP. Guild Wars and Tabula Rasa were the only online games I played for PvE and it looks like Guild Wars 2 will be combining both of them with Warhammer Online so... No matter what I'm buying boxes and if the WvWvW is good I'll always be active.
I have never been interested to buy GW1 due to its level system and other issues(much instanced not a Open World like GW2). Anyway GW2 will increase the level and Power with expansions :)  If not :surprised: then I would simply ignore the expansion and roughly in 2015 I expext Titan to trample GW2 to the ground :cool: .

EDIT. Sorry for my harsh words. GW2 is a very good game and I will buy it. That said if they want to sell expansions to me well then more levels please.

Edited by Stargate, 30 May 2012 - 02:19 PM.

#187 CaptainAwesome

CaptainAwesome

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 02:11 PM

im almost done with this game.. it's not releasing anytime soon probably..

#188 Stargate

Stargate

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1766 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 02:21 PM

View PostCaptainAwesome, on 30 May 2012 - 02:11 PM, said:

im almost done with this game.. it's not releasing anytime soon probably..
There is a release thread separately. Anyway Anet has said that it will be released during 2012 and that is the only thing that is certain. All other speculation about release in the release thread please:
http://www.guildwars...the-ninth-part/

Edited by Stargate, 30 May 2012 - 02:29 PM.

#189 SchurgeMarauder

SchurgeMarauder

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 05:19 PM

View PostStargate, on 30 May 2012 - 02:00 PM, said:

I have never been interested to buy GW1 due to its level system and other issues(much instanced not a Open World like GW2). Anyway GW2 will increase the level and Power with expansions If not then I would simply ignore the expansion and roughly in 2015 I expext Titan to trample GW2 to the ground.

EDIT. Sorry for my harsh words. GW2 is a very good game and I will buy it. That said if they want to sell expansions to me well then more levels please.

I don't see any harsh words. :huh:

What I liked about the first Guild Wars' PvE was the main campaigns, it was basically a co-op game and I approached it as such. Beyond the first completion of each installment it wasn't worth continueing. Guild Wars 2 looks like it will have more lasting "repeat" appeal due to the dynamic events that seem to be an expansion of Tabula Rasa's system. I do believe you are in the majority however - I think those who primarily PvE will require more levels to justify a box purchase of an expansion.

But still, long term active play comes down to the WvWvW for me.

#190 qiemosi

qiemosi

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 01:13 AM

View PostStargate, on 24 May 2012 - 12:51 PM, said:

IF it raises level cap. Otherwise I would completely ignore it.  Anyway as an answer to the topic. Nothing will keep me playing this forever. PvP the Mist seems interesting since when I do PvP the annoying Powerplateau is temporary forgotten in my case.

Anyway I can predict the end of GW2 for me. That name is Titan(codename for project and official name has not been announced yet) the next Blizzard MMO. However Titan release is likely 2015 and a good question is will GW2 manage to keep me playing even near 3 years? Honestly do not know and that remains to be seen.

to me, level means very little in this game.. since you will get boost level when you enter higher level zone and pressed down when enter low zone.   expansion means new area to explore.. =)   and perhaps guild castle or whatever a guild could fought it.. can't wait to die in battle =P

#191 Iron Legionnaire

Iron Legionnaire

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1102 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 01:48 AM

They should be careful with raising the level cap, because if, and I mean, again, IF there is content exclusive to the level cap, every expansion will become additional pre-capital a new player to the game has to pay to play. And a lot of players will get scared off later down the line.

View PostGen1tor, on 20 May 2012 - 07:29 PM, said:

1)GW2 is apparently a game that dislikes grinding. That sounds good but I wonder, how long can an average gamer play an MMO without the hope that the next mob/boss/chest will drop at last some ultra-imba-epic new gear.
The average gamer doesn't play games for that purpose outside the Diablo series and a few games influenced by the Diablo series.

2)No raids, just hardmode dungeons, ok. But how long until a lvl 80 player will lose interest in exploring the rest of the world, doing some PvP or random DEs?
That depends on the player. I can't imagining myself being able to do all the launch content before the next expansion comes out.

It's a bit inaccurate to say there are no hardmode dungeons, that's what explorable mode is for. No, there are no raids. Many MMO players never raided, what does that have to do with anything?

My point is, grinding the equipment that will allow you to enter the next, harder raid, may be silly (see the hamster and the wheel example) but so far this is the reason that forced us, the players, to keep playing MMOs for years, and ofc paying all this time!
I honestly don't know what to say to that. I really do not understand a person who enjoys doing something purposefully designed to slow them down. When I see such content, I spit on it and move somewhere else. I'm not alone, and GW2 is primarily aimed at the people who are sick of the hamster wheel.

So I wonder, what will serve as the cheese in GW2 trap (of our play time ofc)? I m rlly concerned that without the urge to grind new staff, players will get bored, after a few months, which is bad, it's anti-MMO.
No, it's not anti-MMO. There's nothing in the description of MMO's that says "you must grind stuff". Or that players need to be treated like Pavlov's dogs.

Nor do I understand you, at all. You should be asking for unique, tailored content, not content designed to slow you down.

"Dear developers. Make sure to make content that we'd finish just fine in any normal game take forever so that we stay behind and pay subscription fees for subpar gameplay that's covered far better in other genres." - I do not believe your question merits and answer because your entire premise is irrational and illogical

Edited by Iron Legionnaire, 07 June 2012 - 01:51 AM.