I wanted to make a thread about the mathematics of Warrior bleeds as I was unsure about the exact way certain things were stacking and I wanted some community input. Furthermore, I want to give some indication of how powerful bleeds are. Please note that the gear choices made in this thread have been made to illustrate the maximum damage of a single bleed or bleed skill. The build is not meant to be competitive or realistic.
Regarding Malice, Guild Wars 2 Wiki states that bleeds are separated in to one second ticks, and that 20 Malice adds one damage per tick. Source: Guild Wars 2 Wiki. Additionally, I would also like to note that bleeds can only stack up to 25, with long duration bleeds it might be possible to hit this maximum.
Runes, Sigils, Jewellery and Traits
Total Malice: 1507.
Malice damage per bleed tick: 1507 / 20 = 75.35
Condition/bleed duration increases: 50%, 30%, 15%, 15%, 10% and 10%. Additive total: 130%.
Sources of duration increases:
- Deep Cuts (Arms major trait), increases bleed duration by 50%.
- Expertise from the Strength tree, increases condition duration by 30%.
- Rune of the Afflicted (3 of these), increases bleed duration by 15%.
- Rune of the Krait (3 of these), increases bleed duration by 15%.
- Sigil of Superior Agony, increases bleed duration by 10%.
Sever Artery, a sword chain attack that does 360 bleed damage over 8 seconds. Source: GW2tools.
Step 1: Calculate the maximum duration
50% + 30% + 15% + 15% + 10% + 10% = 130% duration increase
8 seconds * 2.30 (130%) = 18.4 seconds, 18 seconds rounded down
Step 2: Calculate the base damage per tick
360 damage / 8 seconds = 45 damage per tick (one tick per second)
Step 3: Calculate the extra damage from Malice per tick
1507 Malice / 20 (Malice needed for one damage per tick) = 75.35 damage per tick
Step 4: Add the damage from Malice and the base damage together (per tick)
45 damage per tick + 75.35 damage per tick = 120.35 damage per tick, 120 rounded down
Step 5: Multiply the total damage per tick by the duration (i.e. number of ticks)
120 damage per tick * 18 ticks (one per second) = 2160 damage over 18 seconds
Summary: With near maximum Malice and bleed duration the bleed component of a single Sever Artery will do 2160 damage over 18 seconds. DPS: 120.
The (quicker) Impale and Riposte example
Impale and Riposte, the off hand sword skills that do 2160 damage over 12 seconds. They each apply four bleeds. Source: Guild Wars 2 Tools.
1: 50% + 30% + 15% + 15% + 10% + 10% = 130%
12 * 2.30 = 27.6, round down to 27
2: (2160 / 4) / 12 = 45 // 4 bleeds remember
3: 1507 / 20 = 75.35
4: 75.35 + 45 = 120.35, round down to 120
5: 120 * 27 = 3240
6: 3240 * 4 = 12960 // remember there are four bleeds (extra step)
Summary: With near maximum Malice and bleed duration the bleed components of Impale and Riposte will do 12960 damage over 27 seconds. DPS: 480.
Something to note
At this point I'd like to note that the base damage of bleeds always seems to be 45 (credit goes to IOUmoney here). I find this relevant for two reasons:
- You can calculate an items/Traits default damage without it being listed. For example, Sigil of Superior Earth does 225 damage (45 damage * 5 second duration) by default.
- Bleed damage can be calculated quickly using: ((Malice / 20) + 45 ) * round(base duration * sum of duration increases).
- If you need to calculate the damage of many bleeds, the first bracket is always constant; therefore, if you have worked out X = ((Malice / 20) + 45) you can just calculate the damage like this: X * round(base duration * sum of duration increases) for each bleed.
- Question: Does bleed duration stack additively or multiplicatively?
Tentative answer: Boons appear to be stacking additively, therefore, conditions probably do to. Needs more confirmation. Source.
- Question: Does increasing the duration of the bleed also increase the damage it does (proportionately)?
Answer: "Yes, bleeds are divided into one second ticks. Each tick has a base value, modified by Malice." Source: Mammoth's post on page one.
- Question: Is Malice applied before or after a duration increase?
Answer: Malice is applied to each tick of a bleed. The duration of the bleed is irrelevant. Source: Mammoth's post on the first page of this thread.
- Question: Does the Malice modifier apply to every bleed that Impale applies?
Answer: Yes it does. Source: IOUmoney's post on page one of this thread.
- Question: Does Sigil of Superior Agony affect bleeds on both weapons?
Assumption in calculations: Yes.
- Question: How does damage rounding work in GW2?
Assumption in calculations: Always round down.
- Question: Do bleeds have a maximum duration?
Assumption in calculations: No.
Edited by Ivarr_Ironfist, 22 June 2012 - 07:41 AM.