• Curse Sites
Help
- - - - -

Finding New Horizons - A Creative Discussion on Zones

Zones Creative Areas

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 Grand_Imperion

Grand_Imperion

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 03:26 PM

Hey guys, we've seen a lot of topics discussing races, weapons, and classes; but surprisingly very few discussing what new ground we can tread as far as new places to be in-- the awesome thing about fantasy worlds is that the panoramas can be just as fantastic as the creatures that inhabit them!

What really got me thinking about this is Magic: The Gathering. The set following the next core set is "Return to Ravnica". Ravnica is one of my absolute favorite planes (the world of Magic is separated into "planes", which "planeswalkers" have the ability to traverse)... it is a single, massive city! Here are some pics of the basic lands of the original Ravnica set:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

(Sorry, I don't know how to set up spoilers)

I couldn't help but imagine how cool it would be not to just have a single zone, but five or six different zones compromising the different portions of Ravnica the same way we have many different zones for a single forested portion of Tyria. (And of course, I imagined them as places where events would occur, not simply as a capital city like Divinity's Reach or The Black Citadel)

Anyways, there many are other fantastic worlds I can think of that aren't simply "Ok, here's a forest and here's a mountain and here's a desert". Anyone remember what Morrowind looked like?

So what kind of fantastic realms would you create? Please, expand on the flora, fauna, atmosphere, and overall flavor of your locales. I will return to this thread once I am home to tell you guys what kinds of worlds I would create myself!

#2 Myramar

Myramar

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1301 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 04:03 PM

one of the most impressive fantasy worlds (in terms of flora/fauna and such) is the World Brandon Sanderson created in his novel "The way of Kings". There, the world is characterized by frequent huge storms, there is not much flora, because the storms make it difficult for plants to survive. Those plants who survive, behave like animals (or like starfish, corals, sea anemone): most plants have hard shells and once the storm is gone, they open up to catch water and sunlight. The grass is shrinking away if people come nearby.

let me show you some original art from the books i found in the interwebz:
Posted Image

also most animals are something between insects and crabs, mostly they come with a hard shell and have a heart made of emeralds. There are not many mammals at all.
some examples (from the book again)

Posted Image

i like the idea of having creatures on land who are similar to those we know from the sea. I could immagine that in GW2, Orr can be somewhat like this.