• Curse Sites
Help
- - - - -

Audio in Guild Wars 2

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 T1bbles

T1bbles

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 01:42 AM

I remember there being a lot of talk about how the use of sound in Guild Wars 2 is going to be much more comprehensive than in it's predecessor. This I like, anyone who's played BF:Bad Company 2 will know that in-game audio has come a long way in the last couple of years, with features like constantly tracking filters and reverb impulses altering themselves as you move around the scenery to bring your ears right into the game.

Don't worry yet, there is a point to this thread! ;) I have a couple of questions here, directly and indirectly related to Guild Wars 2, for anyone who fancies having a go at answering them;

1. Do we know any detailed information about how the audio engine in GW2 will work with relation to interior/exterior environments? Will we have convolution reverb impulses of real indoor (or outdoor) areas mixed in with the dry audio? Bad Company did that for both indoor/outdoor areas, sounded amazing in open areas with reflections sounding like they were bouncing off of the mountains around you, but as far as I can tell they only used one impulse at a fixed level for ALL interior areas, which sounds a little odd when you walk into a small bungalow and you hear gunshots echoing through St Basils. The filtering processes used on bullets flying past your head and very close proximity explosions however make up for that ten-fold. I don't know what it feels like to be hit by a tank shell, but I definately now know what it sounds like, and it sounds awesome!

2. How does the ANet team do their audio-capture? Do they do everything stereo or is ambience stereo and voice/SFX mono with panning and stereo reverb? (ANet if you can hear me, what microphones do you use? Send me that info telepathically if you can guys). I'd love (dream job right here) to work in audio capture and synchronizing for games or film at some point so I'm just on a lil' quest to fill my head with as much knowledge as possible.

I'm currently at University reading for a degree in Sound Recording and Music Technology, this isn't just whatever popped into my head today (like most of my posts are).

Thanks for any info anyone can throw my way! :)

P.S. Anyone who's interested in audio at any level, you MUST play Bad Company 2, it's probably the best sounding game to-date. Despite the menu music not being as catchy as in BF2 ;)

#2 Guideborn

Guideborn

Griffin

• Members
  • 1714 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 01:48 AM

http://www.massively...audio-director/

Regina shared pictures of them capturing live sounds in another thread asking about audio in Guild Wars 2. Otherwise, this is all we know so far.

#3 T1bbles

T1bbles

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 01:50 AM

Maglama said:

http://www.massively...audio-director/

Regina shared pictures of them capturing live sounds in another thread asking about audio in Guild Wars 2. Otherwise, this is all we know so far.

Brillo, thanks matey, I'll have a read of that now :)

#4 Guideborn

Guideborn

Griffin

• Members
  • 1714 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 02:07 AM

Sure. It was a pretty random interview. It was influenced by a thread here, and it just sort of went off from there.