• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Lazybonee

Lazybonee

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:28 PM

Hi! I've been going through alot of reported problems on this forum but I can't find a solution for my problem, but if there already is a topic for this problem I apologize in advance.

So went after the Gw2 installation guide which is found on gw2.com and downloaded the Gw2setup.exe. Here's where it all goes wrong... When I run Gw2 setup I am not given the alternative install button, instead the setup just start a download(of what I do not know) and continues to download in a good paste. BUT, then at exactly 9461kbs the download suddenly crashes and an error window appears....

http://imageshack.us...3/namnlskd.jpg/
I've tried several times to just reboot the setup but I keep bumping into this problem above again and again... I've tried getting it to work by adding -image to target behind .exe but still no success...And on top of that the download doesn't seem to save any files on my computer either, I've searched every corner off my computer without finding any file relative to Gw2 except the Gw2setup.exe file...

Appreciate any kind of help asap, help a m8! :D

Edited by Lazybonee, 27 June 2012 - 08:25 PM.

#2 Quaker

Quaker

Technician

• Technicians
  • 3359 posts
  • Profession:Ranger
  • Guild Tag:[n/a]
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 27 June 2012 - 10:24 PM

It may be a permissions related issue. The first thing you should do is to make a new folder called Games (or whatever you want) in the root directory of your hard drive*, so that it becomes C:\Games. Then make a new folder in there called GW2, so that you have C:\Games\GW2. Then move the GWsetup.exe into that GW2 folder and run it from there.

Also, make sure you have enough free space on your hard drive. (At least, whatever ANet recommends.)

*to make the folder, go to "(My) Computer" from the start menu. In there, double-click on the C: drive. In the window that then opens up (or it may be the same window), right-click on an empty spot in the right-hand pane and select New > Folder and name the folder "Games". Then double-click on Games and do the same thing to make a new folder called GW2 in Games.

After the game is installed, go to the C:\Games\GW2 folder and right-click on gw2.exe. Select Send To > Desktop (Create shortcut) to put a GW2 shortcut on your desktop.

Edited by Quaker, 27 June 2012 - 10:41 PM.

#3 Lazybonee

Lazybonee

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 12:15 AM

View PostQuaker, on 27 June 2012 - 10:24 PM, said:

It may be a permissions related issue. The first thing you should do is to make a new folder called Games (or whatever you want) in the root directory of your hard drive*, so that it becomes C:\Games. Then make a new folder in there called GW2, so that you have C:\Games\GW2. Then move the GWsetup.exe into that GW2 folder and run it from there.

Also, make sure you have enough free space on your hard drive. (At least, whatever ANet recommends.)

*to make the folder, go to "(My) Computer" from the start menu. In there, double-click on the C: drive. In the window that then opens up (or it may be the same window), right-click on an empty spot in the right-hand pane and select New > Folder and name the folder "Games". Then double-click on Games and do the same thing to make a new folder called GW2 in Games.

After the game is installed, go to the C:\Games\GW2 folder and right-click on gw2.exe. Select Send To > Desktop (Create shortcut) to put a GW2 shortcut on your desktop.

First of all thx alot for taking the time to help me! :) Secondly my cpu and gpu are good enough according to the system requirements and I have plenty of extra, available space on my hard drive. I also looked up the security, permissions etc in Gw2setup.exe's properties and all the permission boxes had ¨green lights¨.

Tried your folder tip but it sadly didn't work, the problem is still there. I am not given an install button alternative when the Gw2setup window appears, the setup just jumps to a download which I still do not know what files etc it's downloading since I did not authorize any download as I did not click any install button. The download crashes like before on ¨Downloading 9461KB ¨. Checked the detail reports on the crashes and the only difference between the reports is that the Pid: XXXX numbers changes after each setup/download attempt. (Don't know what that means but all information could be useful)

Edited by Lazybonee, 28 June 2012 - 12:32 AM.

#4 Alex Dimitri

Alex Dimitri

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1203 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:23 AM

Maybe shoot at the dark, but redownload entire client (choosing secondary partition, preparing folders in advance) and then try to install it from there. I usualy put all my games on D partition (also all downloads) since Windows 7 is known to "protect" much more than he really needs to. It may be one of those silly "do you wan`t to allow this programm to change....." that`s preventing your install !

#5 Quaker

Quaker

Technician

• Technicians
  • 3359 posts
  • Profession:Ranger
  • Guild Tag:[n/a]

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:14 PM

It's normal for the GW2setup program to download lots of files - that's basically all the setup program does. The full game is about 15Gigabytes, so you can expect to be downloading for a while.
At this point I can't say why it would be crashing - it looks like either a permissions issue or a lack of free hard drive space.

#6 Lazybonee

Lazybonee

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:21 PM

View PostQuaker, on 28 June 2012 - 02:14 PM, said:

It's normal for the GW2setup program to download lots of files - that's basically all the setup program does. The full game is about 15Gigabytes, so you can expect to be downloading for a while.
At this point I can't say why it would be crashing - it looks like either a permissions issue or a lack of free hard drive space.

I know that this is an old topic Quaker, but now that the last beta weekend is coming up I want to give it another shot.

I have checked the HDD and I have 100gb available space and also my graphic card has the latest update, and I have DirectX 10 so there should not be any problem with the Shader model, since it is 4.0.

Here are my specs:

Windows Vista Ultimate
Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU   [email protected] (2 CPUs), ~2.7Ghz
Geforce Nvidia 8800GTS
RAM 2GB

Here is the full crash report, can you find any reason/s to why the downloader crashes?
Spoiler

Edited by Lazybonee, 17 July 2012 - 06:30 PM.

#7 Felonius

Felonius

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 307 posts
  • Server:Ruins of Surmia

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:36 PM

I'm sure you've already done this, but I'll say it anyway as it does seem like a permissions problem. You are sure that you are running the program as an administrator? In GW2.exe properties, go to compatibility tab and at the bottom under privilege level the box should be ticked to run the program as an administrator (actually that's for windows 7, but Vista should have something sililar).

Edited by Felonius, 17 July 2012 - 06:38 PM.

#8 Lazybonee

Lazybonee

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:42 PM

View PostFelonius, on 17 July 2012 - 06:36 PM, said:

I'm sure you've already done this, but I'll say it anyway as it does seem like a permissions problem. You are sure that you are running the program as an administrator? In GW2.exe properties, go to compatibility tab and at the bottom under privilege level the box should be ticked to run the program as an administrator (actually that's for windows 7, but Vista should have something sililar).
I have been running it as an administrator yes, though I gave your tip a shot but it was unsuccssesful :(

#9 Parvati

Parvati

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:45 PM

"C:\Users\Fabian\AppData\Local\Temp\Gw2.tmp"

The log still says that your game is installed in the temp folder when it shouldn't be. Which is why you probably get an access error: *--&--#62; Error Logs &--#60;--* "Execute failed for 'C:\Users\Fabian\AppData\Local\Temp\Gw2.tmp' (size 22694976)"

When downloading a file with your browser, if you choose the "open" option rather than save, it will auto download the file and launch it from within the temp folder. It looks like you did that, hence why the game is installed into your temp folder (The gw2.TMP resides within the same folder as the client .EXE and .DAT.) Also, you can directly apply full permissions to the GW2 files but when you launch the client, the client clears 'em all off.

Uninstall guild wars 2 and make the folder structure like Quaker suggested (C:\Games\GW2.) Put the installer into that folder GW2 and run it.

Edited by Parvati, 17 July 2012 - 06:45 PM.

#10 Felonius

Felonius

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:46 PM

Sorry, dunno then. Guess the only other thing I can suggest is to contact NCSoft support about it

#11 VagabondLife

VagabondLife

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 06:48 PM

Here is the full download guide and troubleshoot guide from support. Maybe run thru some of the stuff there such as repair and such?
http://support.guild...veEFsU1BuMWw%3D

Edited by VagabondLife, 17 July 2012 - 06:53 PM.

#12 Lazybonee

Lazybonee

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 07:00 PM

View PostParvati, on 17 July 2012 - 06:45 PM, said:

Uninstall guild wars 2 and make the folder structure like Quaker suggested (C:\Games\GW2.) Put the installer into that folder GW2 and run it.

Silly question but how do you suggest that I Uninstall Gw2? Just delete everything that has to do with Gw2?

View PostVagabondLife, on 17 July 2012 - 06:48 PM, said:

Here is the full download guide and troubleshoot guide from support. Maybe run thru some of the stuff there such as repair and such?
http://support.guild...veEFsU1BuMWw%3D

Thank you for the tip but the thing is, I am not given an opportunity to start the guide's ¨installation steps¨ since the install button does not appear, a download just starts and then crashes.
I have also tried the option with creating a new gw2setup.exe shortcut and adding -repair to the Target in the shortcuts properties but that did not work either :(

#13 Parvati

Parvati

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 07:07 PM

View PostLazybonee, on 17 July 2012 - 07:00 PM, said:

Silly question but how do you suggest that I Uninstall Gw2? Just delete everything that has to do with Gw2?
Windows XP and above (Vista/7) the program uninstall option can be accessed by going to the control panel. Guild Wars 2 will be in the list of installed programs. Click its name and then click the uninstall/change.

Edited by Parvati, 17 July 2012 - 07:08 PM.

#14 Tadrith

Tadrith

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 234 posts
  • Guild Tag:[CAKE]
  • Server:Gate of Madness

Posted 17 July 2012 - 07:16 PM

I have a suggestion of something to try.  Go to the folder listed, C:\Users\Fabian\AppData\Local\Temp\ and move Gw2.dat, Gw2.exe, and Gw2.tmp to the aforementioned folder C:\Games\GW2.  After that, run Gw2.exe.

#15 Parvati

Parvati

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 07:22 PM

View PostTadrith, on 17 July 2012 - 07:16 PM, said:

I have a suggestion of something to try.  Go to the folder listed, C:\Users\Fabian\AppData\Local\Temp\ and move Gw2.dat, Gw2.exe, and Gw2.tmp to the aforementioned folder C:\Games\GW2.  After that, run Gw2.exe.

That work but it would leave a dead listing in the uninstall programs option of the control panel as well as mis-pointing registry entries. The clean way is to uninstall it and run the installer again, but in the proper folder this time (C:\Games\GW2), so that of all the pointers etc are correct.

Edited by Parvati, 17 July 2012 - 07:23 PM.

#16 Zxdek

Zxdek

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 07:26 PM

lot of people getting this error there's like 5 or 6 threads on it and no one has a clue yet.

#17 Tadrith

Tadrith

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 234 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 07:27 PM

From reading what he has said and testing myself, the issue here is that, prior to installation, Gw2setup.exe downloads and places those three files in the temp file regardless of where the setup file is located and run from.  Lazybonee stated that he never got to an install button, so it was never actually installed to his computer.  As such, there will be nothing in his add/remove programs prompt or registry to deal with.

Edited by Tadrith, 17 July 2012 - 07:27 PM.

#18 Zxdek

Zxdek

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 07:33 PM

i moved them from the temp folder to another folder that should work right still get the error

#19 Tadrith

Tadrith

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 234 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 07:43 PM

View PostZxdek, on 17 July 2012 - 07:33 PM, said:

i moved them from the temp folder to another folder that should work right still get the error
Are you running from Gw2.exe or are you trying to run Gw2setup.exe again?  Be aware, I don't get this error so anything I'm asking you to test is just that, a test, not a promised solution.

#20 Lazybonee

Lazybonee

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 07:52 PM

View PostParvati, on 17 July 2012 - 06:45 PM, said:

The log still says that your game is installed in the temp folder when it shouldn't be. Which is why you probably get an access error: *--> Error Logs <--* "Execute failed for 'C:\Users\Fabian\AppData\Local\Temp\Gw2.tmp' (size 22694976)"

When downloading a file with your browser, if you choose the "open" option rather than save, it will auto download the file and launch it from within the temp folder. It looks like you did that, hence why the game is installed into your temp folder (The gw2.TMP resides within the same folder as the client .EXE and .DAT.)

Saved the Gw2setup.exe file directly into C:\Games\GW2 and launched it from there, but the download still crashed and I wasn't given any opportunity to ¨install¨ this time either, the download simply started as last time and crashed as last time :( I checked inside the temp folder and found that even though I had launched the Gw2setup.exe from the C:\Games\GW2 folder it had showed up a .dat file, a .tmp file and a Gw2setup.exe file in the temp folder. :S

Should I adjust google chromes settings to download all files into C:\Games\GW2 ?

View PostTadrith, on 17 July 2012 - 07:27 PM, said:

From reading what he has said and testing myself, the issue here is that, prior to installation, Gw2setup.exe downloads and places those three files in the temp file regardless of where the setup file is located and run from.  Lazybonee stated that he never got to an install button, so it was never actually installed to his computer.  As such, there will be nothing in his add/remove programs prompt or registry to deal with.

Spot on :)

Edited by Lazybonee, 17 July 2012 - 07:57 PM.

#21 VagabondLife

VagabondLife

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 07:55 PM

The file I click to install my game is called GW2.exe. It is NOT called GW2setup.exe. Double check what yours is called as I do not believe GW2setup.exe is correct. In your GW2 folder  you should have GW2.dat, GW2.tmp and GW2.exe.

#22 Lazybonee

Lazybonee

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:04 PM

View PostVagabondLife, on 17 July 2012 - 07:55 PM, said:

The file I click to install my game is called GW2.exe. It is NOT called GW2setup.exe. Double check what yours is called as I do not believe GW2setup.exe is correct. In your GW2 folder  you should have GW2.dat, GW2.tmp and GW2.exe.

The file I get from downloading client at my account page is called Gw2Setup when it drops into C:\Games\GW2 and it's a .exe file. The description for the file is Guild Wars 2 Game Client. :)

#23 Tadrith

Tadrith

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 234 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:04 PM

They changed it at some point after BWE1 to be an actual installer called Gw2setup.exe...I'm not sure exactly when and I never tried using it until today.

What Gw2setup.exe appears to do is download the three base files to the temp directory and then present you with an install button.  After clicking the install button it prompts you for an installation directory and upon choosing one, moves those three files to said directory.  It seems that the initial downloading of the files to the temp folder (which is unavoidable if you use the installer) is what is causing the issues with people.  This is why I suggested moving the three files manually from the temp directory to the directory of your choice and running Gw2.exe from there.

#24 VagabondLife

VagabondLife

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:12 PM

Yes, they apparently have changed it since I did mine. But, is it still the GW2.exe file you click on to download the game, isn't it Tadrith? I have all 3 of my files in a GW2 folder on my desktop and I run it from there fine.

#25 Felonius

Felonius

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 307 posts

I think when I first installed back before BWE1, there was only the GW2.exe file that you downloaded to the install location and ran from there. I'm not sure, but if there was a lot of confusion amonst people about downloading the file to the required location first, Anet may have created the setup program to prompt for a location from the user rather than relying on the user to put the .exe file in the right place...but I don't really know, I'm not Anet

#26 Tadrith

Tadrith

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 234 posts

If moving those three files from your temp directory and running Gw2.exe does not work for you, I have uploaded a copy of my own Gw2.exe which you can download here.  Try saving that to the directory you created and running it.

#27 Lazybonee

Lazybonee

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:13 PM

View PostTadrith, on 17 July 2012 - 08:04 PM, said:

They changed it at some point after BWE1 to be an actual installer called Gw2setup.exe...I'm not sure exactly when and I never tried using it until today.

What Gw2setup.exe appears to do is download the three base files to the temp directory and then present you with an install button.  After clicking the install button it prompts you for an installation directory and upon choosing one, moves those three files to said directory.  It seems that the initial downloading of the files to the temp folder (which is unavoidable if you use the installer) is what is causing the issues with people.  This is why I suggested moving the three files manually from the temp directory to the directory of your choice and running Gw2.exe from there.

Tried moving the three files .tmp  .dat  and the Gw2.exe file to C:\Games\GW2 which is where I have my Gw2setup.exe located and run the Gw2.exe from there but the problem is still there, I am not given an install alternative and the download still crashes :(

I really appreciate all the help folks!

#28 Tadrith

Tadrith

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 234 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:15 PM

View PostVagabondLife, on 17 July 2012 - 08:12 PM, said:

Yes, they apparently have changed it since I did mine. But, is it still the GW2.exe file you click on to download the game, isn't it Tadrith? I have all 3 of my files in a GW2 folder on my desktop and I run it from there fine.
Yes, the issue is that Gw2setup.exe attempts to download Gw2.exe/dat/tmp to a temp folder before asking which folder you want it installed to, which appears to be what is causing the issue for people.

#29 Lazybonee

Lazybonee

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:15 PM

View PostTadrith, on 17 July 2012 - 08:12 PM, said:

If moving those three files from your temp directory and running Gw2.exe does not work for you, I have uploaded a copy of my own Gw2.exe which you can download here.  Try saving that to the directory you created and running it.

Thank you, I'll give it a shot :)

#30 VagabondLife

VagabondLife

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:19 PM

View PostLazybonee, on 17 July 2012 - 08:15 PM, said:

Thank you, I'll give it a shot :)
You might also want to delete the .dat and the .tmp file before you run the new .exe file in case the old ones are corrupted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users