In the FPS genre games are released to suit the general public, and afterward the competitive community coalesces to put together an agreed upon set of rules and requirements. These lead to an off-shoot of the original game that is more fit for competitive play, such as restricting weapons, classes, and changing mechanics like recoil, damage, and time to aim-down-sights. The off-shoot feels nothing like the original game, and that's how they prefer it because the differences emphasize skill. I'm not advocating that GW2 adopt similar rules and mechanics as FPS games, just that the competitive GW2 crowd follow the same path toward acheiving a competitive PvP environment, namely coming together to form an agreed upon set of rules and requirements.
If you are really serious about having a competitive PvP mode for Guild Wars 2, I strongly urge you to follow the FPS example, coalesce around the true requirements for competitive play to emphasize skill, draft up something official, and submit it to Arena Net with some big names to back it up.
Please feel free to use this topic as a place to constructively brainstorm ideas for the requirements and a course of action to get ArenaNet to give credence to your cPvP mode (assuming this topic isn't locked on a whim). Everyone keep in mind that I am advocating a completely new and separate PvP mode, so these ideas would have no impact on the existing sPvP and tPvP modes. If you don't have experience with or ability to compete in competitive PvP, this topic will probably not benefit from your input.
The rest of this post is a recap of the discussions below, hopefully to help keep the topics easy to reference. I will try to keep it up to date.
- Is there an appropriate governing body to oversee competitive PvP rulemaking? (Post 6, 43)
- The term "Skill" should be well defined to guide discussion of requirements that emphasize skill. (Post 4, 7, 9)
- There should be tPvP modes that allow teams to "scrim" using cPvP rules (Post 3, 7, 40)
- E-sports need spectator mode (Post 36, 64)
- The competitive community should develop rules that fit within the current sytem, not set out to convince AN to create a new PvP mode (Post 40)
- GW2 may be very close to competitive as-is (Post 64)
- Rented servers (Post 64)
- Should traits, gear, and skills be changeable during a round? (Post 3, 4, 5, 9-22, 24-25)
- Elimination of the downed state (Post 23, 26-29)
- RNG crit chance (Post 38, 46, 48, 50-57)
- RNG chance to proc traits or gear (Post 38, 44, 46, 56-57)
- RNG skill effects (Post 38, 46, 54-56, 64-65)
- Visual indicators for upcoming procs (Post 58-62)
- More interesting skills (Post 63, 66-67)
- Implementing a variety of kill streak bonuses (Post 23, 26)
- NPC sniping (Post 30-32, 51, 64)
Edited by eviator, 07 July 2012 - 11:13 PM.