• Curse Sites
Help
- - - - -

A little something for your troubles, achivement rewards.

achievement trophy

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Arewn

Arewn

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1068 posts
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 08 July 2012 - 08:41 AM

Was just over at MMO-C when I had an idea (and subsequently posted it as a reply to a thread) and thought I'd bring it to my fav little forum community here to see what people think ;p

So basically, trophies. The trophies would have the achievement's name and be time stamped with the date, either on the trophy or in the trophies name (the one that floats above an items/player's head). You'd get them for doing particular achievements while they are still relevant (pre nerfs/pre "expansion came out so I'm now higher level and stronger though scaled down") or for doing an achievement under certain conditions, or just for particularly high end/difficult achievements. You'd put the trophy down at your feet where it is displayed to other players in the world (limited to one trophy out at a time to avoid spam) and perhaps do so by double clicking the achievement, similar to using an item.
They are relatively small, wouldn't take up notable development resources to make, aren't overtly special or individually desirable or grand, but as such are perfect as a limited time only type reward and would serve the simple purpose of being able to be display in the game world and say "I got it and I have something to show for it".

They could also be used to (showoff) decorate the player's house and guild halls when they come out :D

Edited by Arewn, 08 July 2012 - 08:42 AM.

#2 Izardoz

Izardoz

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1102 posts
  • Guild Tag:[BCT]
  • Server:Henge of Denravi

Posted 08 July 2012 - 08:51 AM

sounds ok to me...might be fun
you can always place  your suggestion on the official forum and see what happens  :)

#3 NeonArlecchino

NeonArlecchino

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1516 posts
  • Server:Maguuma

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:01 AM

I am fine with seeing a time for when I completed an achievement but I don't care about when other people did and certainly don't want it on my screen unless I'm looking at their profile. I'm not sure why I'd look at their profile though...

#4 Gilles VI

Gilles VI

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 3271 posts
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Guild Tag:[ICE]
  • Server:Far Shiverpeaks

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:11 AM

What's the difference with displaying a title?

#5 Hedge

Hedge

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 458 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:16 AM

Honestly I don't really like that idea. I'm all for showing it in your personal home instance, if that is what people want. But the whole "showing off"-emotes I think died with GW1. They even mentioned that there wouldn't be any reward emotes, and even though it's a been a while, I think they're pretty firm on this stance.
But if you earn trophies to your home, then knock yourself out.

#6 Arewn

Arewn

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1068 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:21 PM

It's not actually something I personally desire to use, but rather a way to appease the "I want snowflake" vs "Devs can't cater to your epeen" situation.
These trophies would be ideal in that they give the player something physical (within the context of the game world), but it isn't something individually desirable or that relates to  your character customization. A title, for example, might be something you want a specific one of to compliment and customize your character.
Example: I want to be known as " charactername Defender of Tyria" and to acquire the title Defender of Tyria, there's something specific to do who's value may diminish with time or the release of new content. So they can either remove the title so that it keeps its value as a way to signify the original accomplishment, or keep it in game as a means of character customization.
Trophies would hold the same significance as titles (and similar achievement rewards) in their value to signify and demonstrate accomplishments, but aren't useful beyond that and wont be desire for things like character customization.

Though I guess one could ask, should an epeen strocking system like this really be supported?

#7 98percentcute

98percentcute

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 419 posts
  • Guild Tag:[AB]

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:20 AM

gawd, I hope your not talking about those pop-ups that say "congratulations! you've just installed the game!"
We already have titles for you e-peen, we don't need that crap.

Now if it was something like a monster head for your personal instance to display, that's fine.

#8 Arewn

Arewn

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1068 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 04:39 AM

View Post98percentcute, on 09 July 2012 - 02:20 AM, said:

Now if it was something like a monster head for your personal instance to display, that's fine.
Something like that, but the monster head would have the date you got it inscribed on its head. And you would also be able to put one monster head down on the ground at a time and they'd stay there for a few seconds, just to show your friends (the head being no bigger/taller then an Asura's waist).
It's in response to people who want their special snow flake awards, but without taking up development resources or causing exclusivity (exclusivity such as a really cool title that's only available to 5% of people who got it at the time, or something like that).

Edit: honestly I believe I though of it thinking to much about my time back in WoW where people would complain "oh I want X mount because it's cool and desirable for collecting or to go with my character, so you can't get rid of it!"  vs  "that mount was a reward that shows how SPECIAL I am for getting it when it was still hard to acquire from X boss/content". This kind of thing probably isn't all that much of a problem in GW2 and how they do things.... we'll see though I guess.

Edited by Arewn, 09 July 2012 - 04:44 AM.

#9 98percentcute

98percentcute

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 419 posts
  • Guild Tag:[AB]

Posted 09 July 2012 - 04:48 AM

You really should have called it like "trophies" or something. Everytime I hear of achievement I think of foamy's achievement rant

Edited by 98percentcute, 09 July 2012 - 04:51 AM.

#10 Crunchygremlin

Crunchygremlin

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 286 posts
  • Server:Sea of Sorrows

Posted 12 July 2012 - 12:35 AM

They could put it in the Gem Store.
when you unlocked achievements then you could buy public honors. Even an option of physical trophies...

likely the best way to do any of that is via a purchasing system like EvE has.
the eve corp can create whatever medal they want and award it to anybody in the corp.
I got at least one combat medal for corp asset defense.

Then i can choose to show them publicly or not.

It might be kind of cool to have the guild be able to make awards using mob parts + influence.

I can see a whole player driven guild based award system.
The officers and what not design the award.
what it looks like.
how much it costs both in gold and influence and time.
and possibly what kind of mob part is required to make it. ( this would be a cost reduction device)

This could be done as weaponry or armor too.
The item itself might not have anything but the guild information but when looking at the guild the meaning of the item can be displayed.
"awarded for esteemed leadership in keep defense" and then something of the recipe for making it.

sandboxy

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: achievement, trophy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users