• Curse Sites
Help
- - - - -

Guild Wars 2 Launcher/Updater - Excessive CPU usage?

Launcher CPU High Update Updater Download

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Bael

Bael

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 357 posts
  • Server:Isle of Janthir

Posted 09 July 2012 - 04:03 PM

Title says it all. The Launcher on my computer uses 90-100% of my CPU the entire time it's open, on both cores, just to download the game and update the .dat file. I'm just wondering if anyone else has this problem and if there's anything that can be done to fix it. Taking into account how long it'll take to download the game, I'm having to do it in bursts to let the CPU cool down because I dare not leave it overnight like I was planning to. It also prevents me from doing anything else while it's downloading since I can't just let it sit in the background.

It might only be a 2.6GHz dual core processor, but considering that it's the launcher we're talking about and not the game itself, I'm a little perplexed by this. It shouldn't be using anywhere near this much CPU.

Thanks for any input.

#2 SirDIZEL

SirDIZEL

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:03 PM

I'm pretty sure I played Skyrim at the time when downloading GW2 and didn't notice any lags. The only thing I could think of is perhaps that the launcher downloads and install the game at the same time and your pc is barely able to keep up.

#3 Elder III

Elder III

Technician

• Technicians
  • 4424 posts
  • Guild Tag:[ION]
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:36 PM

If your CPU is overheating from being 90% or so load you have problems with your airflow in your case or perhaps a faulty CPU cooler.  If it's not overheating you can let it run 24 hrs straight at that kind of load as long as your cooling is good enough.  It won't hurt anything unless something is faulty, in which case you have more serious problems and need to get it fixed. :)

#4 Bael

Bael

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 357 posts
  • Server:Isle of Janthir

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:52 AM

View PostSirDIZEL, on 09 July 2012 - 05:03 PM, said:

I'm pretty sure I played Skyrim at the time when downloading GW2 and didn't notice any lags. The only thing I could think of is perhaps that the launcher downloads and install the game at the same time and your pc is barely able to keep up.
Well, I play games on this computer. I recently finished playing Fallout: New Vegas and was running that at mostly medium settings with no issues, for example. So it seems unlikely that a simple download/install program would be enough to bring the same computer to its knees. Yet, it is :huh:

View PostElder III, on 09 July 2012 - 05:36 PM, said:

If your CPU is overheating from being 90% or so load you have problems with your airflow in your case or perhaps a faulty CPU cooler.  If it's not overheating you can let it run 24 hrs straight at that kind of load as long as your cooling is good enough.  It won't hurt anything unless something is faulty, in which case you have more serious problems and need to get it fixed. :)
It depends what you consider overheating. Being over 90 degrees celsius isn't enough to make the computer shutdown automatically (for my CPU that point is 105c), but I still don't like it being that hot for long periods. Also you're right that the airflow is bad, I'm using a laptop ;)  The most I can do for it is use a cooling pad, which I'm doing. My climate doesn't help at all, either (Australia). Anyway, it wasn't really the fact it was hot that I was worried about or made the thread for - the launcher shouldn't be using 90-100% of both cores.

Today it was using less CPU however. I turned it on and started the launcher and it wasn't going over 80% this time, so I left it for a while and managed to finish the download without it going any higher. It's still far from ideal because I can't update in the background, I will have to see how it goes next time there is something to update. I might also send a ticket through ANet's support if no one on Guru has experienced this problem.

Thanks to both of you for input.

#5 typographie

typographie

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1960 posts
  • Guild Tag:[LAW]

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:30 AM

View PostSirDIZEL, on 09 July 2012 - 05:03 PM, said:

The only thing I could think of is perhaps that the launcher downloads and install the game at the same time and your pc is barely able to keep up.

I don't think GW2 "installs" in the traditional way; if it did, it would be written into the Registry and you wouldn't be able just pick up and move your Guild Wars folder without breaking it.

My GW2 launcher (sitting idle, that is) hangs around 8-10% CPU usage.

View PostBael, on 10 July 2012 - 04:52 AM, said:

It depends what you consider overheating. Being over 90 degrees celsius isn't enough to make the computer shutdown automatically (for my CPU that point is 105c), but I still don't like it being that hot for long periods.

I definitely consider > 90°C to be overheating. Elder's right: the real problem isn't the 90-100% processor utilization, its your temperatures. Processors are designed to run at 100% for long periods, but not get that hot.

#6 The Comfy Chair

The Comfy Chair

The best at space

• Members
  • 5331 posts
  • Profession:Elementalist
  • Guild Tag:[TKOT]
  • Server:Gandara

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:05 PM

Yeah, it'll be throttling itself at that point (hence 100% usage, because its downclocked). Also the launcher isn't taxing, it uses negligible amounts of usage on an I5-2500k for example, so it's likely it's because you have a weak CPU that happens to be throttling itself.

If you want to check if your computer will run GW2, check here.

If you find out you can't and need to think about upgrading or building another, check here.

#7 Tadrith

Tadrith

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 234 posts
  • Guild Tag:[CAKE]
  • Server:Gate of Madness

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:29 PM

If your CPU is reaching 90C, you really really need to figure out why it's getting that hot, because it should never be getting to that point.  Make sure that the computer's cooling fan is working and isn't caked with dust.  Temperatures that high are not at all healthy for your CPU.  The shutoff temp may be set to 105C in your BIOS, but that doesn't mean that temperatures between 90C and 105C are good, because they aren't.

For comparison, my laptop has a 2.13GHz dual core and the GW2 launcher never uses more than 40% CPU power.

Edited by Tadrith, 10 July 2012 - 07:38 PM.

#8 Azure Skye

Azure Skye

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2084 posts
  • Profession:Mesmer
  • Guild Tag:[HEAT]
  • Server:Dragonbrand

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:20 PM

Are you running more then one programs while you are using the launcher?

#9 Cinder Grimtongue

Cinder Grimtongue

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 226 posts
  • Guild Tag:[[QQ]]
  • Server:Darkhaven

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:34 PM

It could be that any virus scanning is/was in progress during the update and/or anti-virus scans the exe as it's running.

#10 Goregeous Hyde

Goregeous Hyde

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:27 AM

It's been a while and maybe OP figured it out by now, but I'll post in case someone else encounters the same problem:

I had the same problem with the Launcher using excessive amounts of CPU.
For me, the problem was PeerBlock blocking and logging parts of the connection. It didn't hinder the update at all, but created huge load on the CPU.

As Cinder Grimtongue mentioned, it could also be some kind of antivirus or ad-block taking offense at the connections and files the launcher is accessing.

Love how most everyone else thought it best to answer the problem:: "My GW2 Launcher is strangely using excessive amounts of CPU, i am worried about overheating." with:
"Your CPU and airflow sucks", ignoring the part about it being a LAUNCHER that usually shouldn't cause any load at all...

Edited by Goregeous Hyde, 18 August 2012 - 11:34 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Launcher, CPU, High, Update, Updater, Download

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users