48 replies to this topic

#1 Ivarr_Ironfist

Ivarr_Ironfist

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 465 posts
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:44 AM

Aesthetically, it's one the nicest calculators and the addition of boons, conditions and combos was a nice touch. However, it's missing some functionality that I would consider basic and the loading times are awful.

Regarding the loading times, it's fine after the first time when everything is in the cache. Before that it is painfully slow. It took a good couple of seconds to load the calculator to a functional state on first use and there was a slight loading delay for every tooltip or new weapon choice thereafter. Many of the calculator's competitors are less resource intensive and feel much smoother.

More importantly, the functionality I feel that is missing. Number one on the list is the ability to link secondary weapons. If someone is using a build calculator they are trying to convey enough information to someone else that they can make a functional build. In many if not all builds the secondary weapon set is just as important as the primary. This really really needs to be there for the calculator to be a success.

Secondly on the functionality side of things: Runes, Sigils, Jewels and Amulets. The best build calculator (in my humble opinion) allows you the option of picking these items. This is very useful as you don't have to do the attribute maths yourself and keeps everything in one place. Which brings me to attribute display... another good idea.

I also have a few suggestions as to how to make your calculator a step above the rest:
  • Integration with the Guru Forums. Rather than me just seeing a boring hypertext link to a build, I see an image with a summary of the build (e.g. weapon choices and utility slots).
  • Allow guide creation along with the build, or at least the ability to link to an external guide. This would be a great way to promote your video system as well.
  • Allow the build to be locked with alternatives. For example, at top tier SPvP you might be using two weapons (primary and secondary), but switch the secondary weapon out for a third weapon on occasion. If you gave the calculator the ability to somehow list the third weapon as the preferred alternative to the secondary weapon, that would make the calculator much better. This would also allow people to customize optional parts of a build to their liking.

#2 sanktanglia

sanktanglia

GW2DB Developer

• Curse Staff
  • 127 posts
  • Server:Anvil Rock

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:27 PM

Thanks for the feedback, the skill calc is definitely still a tool we are working on. Sadly the addition of the combo and boon and condition info did impact the performance of it, but we already have some improvements for that in effect. And i'll add the addition of the form and secondary weapons to the list of things to add, something i had been meaning to add. And support for stats as well as items/runes is something we are considering as well. Right now before that happens we have to improve our item data, as we havent figured out the exact formula for item stats. im hoping to be able to get out a patch for the performance this week, ill be sure to post here if we have any more news to share about those features

#3 Juno

Juno

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:37 PM

It certainly looks nice enough, but still feels sluggish. Like the OP already pointed out, the loading times seems pretty bad. Some stuff, like the Utility and Elite skills for example, surely could be loaded sooner since it's pretty much a given that people will fiddle with those.

I would also prefer if the popouts close if I clock outside the box, so I don't have to pick something just to close it. Say I was pursuing a trait line but change my mind while having a trait box open, I still need to pick a trait just to close it. Very nitpicky I know. :P

The icons for Weapon, Utility and Elite skills could be a tad bit bigger, perhaps fill out the space so the box containing them is about the same width as one of the trait boxes. The class specific icons (Virtues, Elementalist attunements, etc) could be moved to the right of the weapon dropdowns to provide more space if needed.

There's also a small bug in the tooltip for the first passive in the Guardians Virtues traitline, you see <br> instead of actual line breaks.

All in all, it's an improvement so kudos on the nice work! The site is pretty sweet overall, mainly just the calc that could be a tinsy bit more sweeter. :)

#4 Nitz

Nitz

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:50 PM

Hmm...I have to say I really like it...I'm not a build expert but for me it's the better atm from the tools I found. Still, like asked above a place to write some more notes on description would be nice. Also dunno how about the math for it and probably will give a lot of work, but I would like to see, some place where you can choose sigils, runes, accessories and jewel for it, and at the end some overall attributes obtained with that build. I guess people making the build can to the math themselves and write on notes all the sigils, runes and jewel but would be nice to make their life easier. Anyway I like this tool and have a few builds saved there, grats to you for the great job.

#5 sanktanglia

sanktanglia

GW2DB Developer

• Curse Staff
  • 127 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:15 PM

@Juno:thx for the feedback and bug report, adding close buttons to the popups are def planned, as is performance improvements

@Nitz:attributes and items are something we are toying with, if its something we end up doing, ill be sure to post here

#6 typographie

typographie

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2240 posts
  • Guild Tag:[WOLF]

Posted 28 July 2012 - 01:11 AM

I apologize if this is a known issue, but while some Chain skills are laying out the entire chain correctly, some are only showing the last skill in the chain. These are the ones I specifically noticed displaying incorrectly:
  • Ranger greatsword skill 4: Counterattack -> Crippling Throw
  • Warrior sword skill 5: Riposte -> Adrenaline Rush
  • Warrior mace skill 2: Counter Blow -> Adrenaline Rush
  • Thief dagger skill 1: Double Strike -> Wild Strike -> Lotus Strike
Thanks for the great tool. Even with its bugs, I find it much more enjoyable to use than most of the others around the interwebs right now.

Edited by typographie, 28 July 2012 - 01:12 AM.

#7 sanktanglia

sanktanglia

GW2DB Developer

• Curse Staff
  • 127 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 03:59 PM

thx for the report typo, the chain skills are a pain to support data wise but ill look into this issue, should have it fixed for our push next week

#8 slowreflex

slowreflex

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 06:41 AM

When I went to the site I got the following message. Just needs to be changed from DarthHater to GW2DB.

You have been given a nickname credit. You can choose a new nickname now or you can keep your current nickname. This will be the name that is displayed on all your posts and comments on DarthHater

#9 sanktanglia

sanktanglia

GW2DB Developer

• Curse Staff
  • 127 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:25 AM

@slotreflex:we use a common codebase between our sites, so we accidently just reused some text from another site of ours, ill get this fixed up, thx for the report

#10 Wildclaw

Wildclaw

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 03:14 PM

Found a strange bug.

The "12 Slot Cotton Bag" recipe doesn't show up in the Recipes->Tailor listing while it does show up under the "Ingredient in" on the "Rune of Holding" item page.

#11 sanktanglia

sanktanglia

GW2DB Developer

• Curse Staff
  • 127 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 03:30 AM

Wildclaw: will look into that, might just be an issue with how we filter out higher level search results

#12 Northlander

Northlander

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 01:51 PM

I'm also wondering why GW2DB doesn't show all items that clearly exist in the DB. For example if I do a search on festering flame cleaver which was an item in the beta I get no results. However if I do the same search on google with gw2db as the site I get the result. Direct google link to it does nothing but it has clearly existed at some point since I can see the item stats in cache.

Color me confused.

#13 Chalky

Chalky

chalktastic

• [GWG] Site Contributors
  • 4790 posts
  • Guild Tag:[AD]

Posted 07 August 2012 - 02:04 PM

As the database is kept up to date with the current client, the item may have been renamed or removed since you saw it in beta. It may also have been moved to a higher level bracket (at this time, high level items are hidden from view)
Do you need help or just want to chat about moderation? Drop me a PM.

#14 Northlander

Northlander

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:13 PM

As the database is kept up to date with the current client, the item may have been renamed or removed since you saw it in beta. It may also have been moved to a higher level bracket (at this time, high level items are hidden from view)

Hmm, but I still saw all the glyphic and flame weapons in last BWE and as I recall they were still in level 15-20 range. Glyphics actually on lower since I got a glyphic weapon below level ten - my sylvari elementalist started with a glyphic staff in fact. Basically most of the weapons that drop from enemies and have "prefixes" cannot be found i.e. "festering glyphic edge". Unless it's up to date with some sort of internal client that is different from the beta ones?

Edit: Also steam weapons are missing and those were rewards from Ascalon Catacombs story mode and also higher level karma vendor set. Actually I think there was also third even lower level option for them since I'm pretty sure I saw level 10-15 steam weapons (though that might have been in previous beta).

Edited by Northlander, 07 August 2012 - 05:19 PM.

#15 Chalky

Chalky

chalktastic

• [GWG] Site Contributors
  • 4790 posts
  • Guild Tag:[AD]

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:33 PM

I have passed this on, thanks :)
Do you need help or just want to chat about moderation? Drop me a PM.

#16 sanktanglia

sanktanglia

GW2DB Developer

• Curse Staff
  • 127 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:42 PM

@Northlander: there was an issue with the DB that i have identified that is causing some of those items to not be shown. We version the DB so that we can easily do diffs and such, which is why it worked before but not now. But now it works as i just hotfixed it :)

#17 SilentCid

SilentCid

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:02 PM

I found that the Mystic Coin on the second to the last stress test has an updated description and it's not on the trophy listings of the DB.

http://puu.sh/Qejb

#18 Geistware

Geistware

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • Guild Tag:[LRS]
  • Server:Borlis Pass

Posted 11 August 2012 - 11:57 PM

The upgrade levels for your guild items is wrong.An example is Guild workshop is a level 1 upgrade not level 2 upgrade.
See: http://wiki.guildwar...re#Architecture

If your example is correct you could never upgrade anything because you would never be able to get to the level to research it.

#19 sanktanglia

sanktanglia

GW2DB Developer

• Curse Staff
  • 127 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 03:12 AM

@SilentCid: will look into it

@Geistware: it looks to just be off by 1, ill get this fixed, thx for the report

#20 sanktanglia

sanktanglia

GW2DB Developer

• Curse Staff
  • 127 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 03:27 PM

@silentCid: so the mystic coin item is too high level for us to show atm, but as soon as the game launches, it will be visible

#21 Datenshi92

Datenshi92

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2442 posts
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 18 August 2012 - 01:13 AM

I was checking around the Database and noticed this: Items -> Consumable -> Megaphone

I thought those were gone?
Sorry being a stone in the shoe, I know its not important but I just felt I needed to point it out.

Edited by Datenshi92, 18 August 2012 - 07:39 PM.

#22 Cabal

Cabal

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 142 posts
  • Guild Tag:[KTHU]

Posted 18 August 2012 - 01:22 AM

In the skill calculator (could be for all but I just use Necromancer) when hovering over a tool tip for certain traits, some tooltips won't fully load until you re-hover over them.

#23 nyran20

nyran20

Pale Tree Seedling

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 12:20 PM

How do builds on the GW2DB work (Home --> Skill calc --> pick professtion)? Can I add mine? How are they 'rated'? Seems very 'in development' to me.

#24 sanktanglia

sanktanglia

GW2DB Developer

• Curse Staff
  • 127 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:33 PM

@nyran20: there is a save button on your build. They are rated by users with an up/down system

#25 Evel

Evel

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • Guild Tag:[IE]
  • Server:Gate of Madness

Posted 27 August 2012 - 08:47 PM

What categories currently work for Syndication? I can link a "Skill" just fine, but when I tried to link a Guild Upgrade it did not work - linked to the website, but no tooltip.

#26 sanktanglia

sanktanglia

GW2DB Developer

• Curse Staff
  • 127 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 09:25 PM

Evel: atm we support items, skills, recipes, traits, achievements but im putting in a ticket now to support guild upgrades, thx for pointing that out

#27 Rockair

Rockair

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 2 posts
  • Server:Whiteside Ridge

Posted 02 September 2012 - 02:44 AM

does an api exist? i wish i could download easily every items & recipes. I'd like to create some cool infographics.

#28 sanktanglia

sanktanglia

GW2DB Developer

• Curse Staff
  • 127 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:00 PM

@Rockair: thats not something we have currently but it is something we are looking into

#29 KitteNlx

KitteNlx

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:12 PM

This is simple a .rar archive of several item images and a text file of some items not in the DB currently, that I found in me search for the Update contest thing. https://www.box.com/...rj0uv54oram5hob If you'd like them uploaded in a way that isn't an archive, ie individually, I can do that as well.

#30 Wonsavage

Wonsavage

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 03:05 PM

The DB NEEDS a tab that shows what mobs drop items, specifically for crafting materials. This is the #1 thing I would go to a site like this for, but neither this nor any other database has that information.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users