Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Help

Sylvari skin colors

Sylvari

  • Please log in to reply
655 replies to this topic

#1 Danael

Danael

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 413 posts
  • Guild Tag:[AS]
  • Server:Elona Reach

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:33 AM

When ANet announced that Sylvari were playable in the third BWE I was instantly thinking about all the colors we're able to use: skin, markings, luminescence, eyes and hair. Not to mention clothes colors. I spent about an hour for my first character and I'm still not satisfied with her.

Attached File  gw004_3.jpg   200.46K   1382 downloads

How do you plan to color your Sylvari? Will you try to match every color or just throw everything together until it looks good to you?

#2 Isarien

Isarien

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 737 posts
  • Location:Tyresion.2601
  • Server:Isle of Janthir

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:35 AM

Posted Image

Was going for Guardian colors, blue and white. Ended up looking like Jack Frost.

EDIT: Image cropped, other Sylvari who looked really tiny due to PoV will no longer be a problem.

Edited by Isarien, 13 August 2012 - 02:18 AM.


#3 Potato Cat

Potato Cat

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 423 posts
  • Location:Wonderland

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:38 AM

Green skin. Red hair. Red and brown clothes. I was happy with both of my Sylvari. If I knew how to include a screenshot, I would.

#4 Danael

Danael

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 413 posts
  • Guild Tag:[AS]
  • Server:Elona Reach

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:43 AM

View PostIsarien, on 23 July 2012 - 09:35 AM, said:

Was going for Guardian colors, blue and white. Ended up looking like Jack Frost.
I think he looks quite nice. Especially with this hair, doesn't it shine metallic?

View PostPotato Cat, on 23 July 2012 - 09:38 AM, said:

Green skin. Red hair. Red and brown clothes. I was happy with both of my Sylvari. If I knew how to include a screenshot, I would.

Noticed that too when I tried to answer in another threat.

Edited by Danael, 23 July 2012 - 09:43 AM.


#5 Hirsty

Hirsty

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1190 posts
  • Location:The Grove
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:43 AM

I went for 2 characters.

Posted Image

Mesmer ^

Posted Image

Guardian ^

Edited by Hirsty, 23 July 2012 - 09:44 AM.


#6 Cl1p

Cl1p

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 945 posts
  • Location:Belgium
  • Server:Far Shiverpeaks

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:44 AM

Grean skin, green hair, yellow glow.

#7 Isarien

Isarien

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 737 posts
  • Location:Tyresion.2601
  • Server:Isle of Janthir

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:45 AM

View PostDanael, on 23 July 2012 - 09:43 AM, said:

I think he looks quite nice. Especially with this hair, doesn't it shine metallic?

Thank you! The shine probably comes from the faint azure glow I gave him, or possibly the fact that Sylvari are just glossy on the whole.

Your character looks very nice too, it looks like you were aiming for a misty or ethereal theme?

#8 Danael

Danael

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 413 posts
  • Guild Tag:[AS]
  • Server:Elona Reach

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:53 AM

View PostIsarien, on 23 July 2012 - 09:45 AM, said:

Thank you! The shine probably comes from the faint azure glow I gave him, or possibly the fact that Sylvari are just glossy on the whole.

Your character looks very nice too, it looks like you were aiming for a misty or ethereal theme?

Thanks. I actually was aiming for colors that look nice with all kinds of amor colors. I ended up with deep green hair and purple eyes. I'm crap at combining colors, that's why I opended this threat. However, I really liked the pale skin color.

Hirsty, your Mesmer looks quite good, with the highlights in the hair and the eye color.

Edited by Danael, 23 July 2012 - 09:54 AM.


#9 Hirsty

Hirsty

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1190 posts
  • Location:The Grove
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:54 AM

View PostDanael, on 23 July 2012 - 09:53 AM, said:

Thanks. I actually was aiming for colors that look nice with all kinds of amor colors. I ended up with deep green hair and purple eyes. I'm crap at combining colors, that's why I opended this threat.

Hirsty, your Mesmer looks quite good, with the highlights in the hair and the eye color.

Thanks, but not sure what colour my armor will be for her :s

#10 Danael

Danael

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 413 posts
  • Guild Tag:[AS]
  • Server:Elona Reach

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:59 AM

View PostHirsty, on 23 July 2012 - 09:54 AM, said:

Thanks, but not sure what colour my armor will be for her :s

Yeah, that's the problem isn't it: how to make it look good with the amor. Maybe some kind of dark green? After all, if you mix green and blue you get to green.

Edited by Danael, 23 July 2012 - 10:00 AM.


#11 Hirsty

Hirsty

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1190 posts
  • Location:The Grove
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:01 AM

View PostDanael, on 23 July 2012 - 09:59 AM, said:

Yeah, that's the problem isn't it: how to make it look good with the amor. Maybe some kind of dark green? After all, if you mix green and blue you get to green.

I think light green would look good with her, or silvery.
*sigh*
only another 5 weeks until I can find out.

#12 Lun

Lun

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 686 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:04 AM

My sylvari is a tree, so will have a bark-like colour for hsi skin.

#13 Lysiea

Lysiea

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 22 posts
  • Guild Tag:[Dust]
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:04 AM

Just realised that I don't have a decent picture of my character during the day to show the colours but here:
Posted Image

She had the bright pink skin colour, purple hair and the glow was the same colour as her eyes (that blueish green colour)
I'm planning on creating a sylvari when the game releases but I don't think I'll keep the pink skin :b Need to figure the skin colour out but I think the dark purple hair + aqua green eyes and glow goes together pretty well (:

#14 Lyall

Lyall

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:06 AM

Posted Image

I was going for a dark elf of sorts. I got my wish.

#15 Isarien

Isarien

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 737 posts
  • Location:Tyresion.2601
  • Server:Isle of Janthir

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:08 AM

View PostDanael, on 23 July 2012 - 09:53 AM, said:

Thanks. I actually was aiming for colors that look nice with all kinds of amor colors. I ended up with deep green hair and purple eyes. I'm crap at combining colors, that's why I opended this threat. However, I really liked the pale skin color.

I'd give advice, but I'm sure whatever I would say would be quickly refuted by an expert on the subject. I just go with what I feel is right and try to make the Sylvari fit the profession. With the color options available, it's pretty easy to create a general theme. The key is to stick with it. If you try to make a character that will look good, color wise, in everything, you're going to end up looking like a blank canvas, full of neutral and muted colors.

If you want to get away with having bolder tones, you're going to want to plan ahead and imagine what color armor you'd like to compliment. The sheer amount of options available for Sylvari make this a bit of a daunting task if you're unsure what to go for, however, so I'm not surprised at the lack of satisfaction at this point. I wish I could be of more help.

Edited by Isarien, 23 July 2012 - 10:09 AM.


#16 Danael

Danael

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 413 posts
  • Guild Tag:[AS]
  • Server:Elona Reach

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:08 AM

View PostLysiea, on 23 July 2012 - 10:04 AM, said:

Just realised that I don't have a decent picture of my character during the day to show the colours but here:

She had the bright pink skin colour, purple hair and the glow was the same colour as her eyes (that blueish green colour)
I'm planning on creating a sylvari when the game releases but I don't think I'll keep the pink skin :b Need to figure the skin colour out but I think the dark purple hair + aqua green eyes and glow goes together pretty well (:

Sounds like a good combination for hair and eye colors. However, I admire everbody who dares to color their charas' skin pink :eek:

Edited by Danael, 23 July 2012 - 10:10 AM.


#17 Kormir

Kormir

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:10 AM

View PostHirsty, on 23 July 2012 - 09:43 AM, said:

I went for 2 characters.

Posted Image

Mesmer ^

Posted Image

Guardian ^

Wow both look awesome gj

#18 Sonofdeath

Sonofdeath

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:10 AM

I sadly have 0 screen shots of my bloke but in the end i had branches for my hair which i made green leaves on then i made his skin tone blue but the skin pattern rather blue with purple eyes i defiently loved seeing my character in cut screens :)

#19 Kormir

Kormir

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:11 AM

View PostHirsty, on 23 July 2012 - 10:01 AM, said:

I think light green would look good with her, or silvery.
*sigh*
only another 5 weeks until I can find out.

i know that feel bro, I haven't played the game yet ...

#20 Reikou

Reikou

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 557 posts
  • Location:Japan
  • Guild Tag:[AdL]
  • Server:Stormbluff Isle

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:11 AM

Really difficult to decide what to go for.

I'm still unsure about what I'm going to do for launch.

For BWE3, it was basically a neutral gray, with purple highlights.  However compared to other Sylvari NPCs you see in game, this color scheme just looks really alien.

Attached Files



#21 vermilion

vermilion

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:14 AM

When creating a Sylvari is good to look for color harmonies :) [One of many sites: http://www.tigercolo...heory-intro.htm] or look at the plants and make similar choices.

I'm starting with a questions: is there any color I would like to use? Would I like to have light or dark Sylvari? Warm or cold?
If I got a single color I just look for something which match. Glow and eyes I often choose at the end of character creation, because I like them to be very expressive and sharp.

You can try to find 'best matches' with something like this: http://www.colourlov...PaletteSoftware

Well, hope it helps in some ways... more or less ;)

#22 Hirsty

Hirsty

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1190 posts
  • Location:The Grove
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:15 AM

View PostKormir, on 23 July 2012 - 10:10 AM, said:

Wow both look awesome gj

Why thankyou :)

View Postvermilion, on 23 July 2012 - 10:14 AM, said:

When creating a Sylvari is good to look for color harmonies :) [One of many sites: http://www.tigercolo...heory-intro.htm] or look at the plants and make similar choices.

I'm starting with a questions: is there any color I would like to use? Would I like to have light or dark Sylvari? Warm or cold?
If I got a single color I just look for something which match. Glow and eyes I often choose at the end of character creation, because I like them to be very expressive and sharp.

You can try to find 'best matches' with something like this: http://www.colourlov...PaletteSoftware

Well, hope it helps in some ways... more or less ;)

Yeah, that's what I tend to do.
I like to choose a base colour, then a complimentary colour as detail, and then a contrasting colour as glow.

Edited by Hirsty, 23 July 2012 - 10:15 AM.


#23 Arshay Duskbrow

Arshay Duskbrow

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 696 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:17 AM

The amount of possibilities is truly staggering. I was a bit sad to see so many people were going with dark, moody colors though. Unlike the other races, Sylvari have a lot of bright, vibrant color options, I definitely want to take advantage of that. Something like a tropical bird-of-paradise, lily, or lotus...like this, perhaps:

Spoiler

On the other hand, I was also attracted to the pristine beauty of the silver/white color option, with touches of red. Red and white roses hold special significance for me (watch Revolutionary Girl Utena, and you'll understand):


Spoiler
Spoiler

Finally, here's something I tried just for fun. I just wanted to see how doable it was...and it turned out to be very doable indeed. I give you the character "Sylvari Are Aliens":


Spoiler


#24 Lyall

Lyall

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:19 AM

View PostArshay Duskbrow, on 23 July 2012 - 10:17 AM, said:


On the other hand, I was also attracted to the pristine beauty of the silver/white color option, with touches of red. Red and white roses hold special significance for me (watch Revolutionary Girl Utena, and you'll understand):


Spoiler

She's gorgeous.

#25 Isarien

Isarien

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 737 posts
  • Location:Tyresion.2601
  • Server:Isle of Janthir

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:21 AM

Posted Image

Here's a second example with a similarly themed background. It dawned on me that you might find it helpful to take inspiration for designing your Sylvari from the natural environments in the game. See what colors occur naturally together, like the blues and whites in the snow below.


View PostArshay Duskbrow, on 23 July 2012 - 10:17 AM, said:

-snip-

Truly astonished by the level of diversity of available, and these screenshots are the proof of that diversity. The first three, especially the third, are beautiful... and then there's Sylvari Are Aliens, which looks like it would consume your soul if given the chance. No other race really spans the spectrum as well as the Sylvari.

Edited by Isarien, 23 July 2012 - 10:25 AM.


#26 7thCylon

7thCylon

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1288 posts
  • Location:Planet Trill
  • Server:Kaineng

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:23 AM

male black or pink or white or oh darn

#27 Lysiea

Lysiea

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 22 posts
  • Guild Tag:[Dust]
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:25 AM

View PostDanael, on 23 July 2012 - 10:08 AM, said:

Sounds like a good combination for hair and eye colors. However, I admire everbody who dares to color their charas' skin pink :eek:

Muaha It didn't look all that bad but I know there are better combinations xD
Thanks tho!

#28 Danael

Danael

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 413 posts
  • Guild Tag:[AS]
  • Server:Elona Reach

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:31 AM

View PostArshay Duskbrow, on 23 July 2012 - 10:17 AM, said:

The amount of possibilities is truly staggering. I was a bit sad to see so many people were going with dark, moody colors though. Unlike the other races, Sylvari have a lot of bright, vibrant color options, I definitely want to take advantage of that. Something like a tropical bird-of-paradise, lily, or lotus...like this, perhaps:


On the other hand, I was also attracted to the pristine beauty of the silver/white color option, with touches of red. Red and white roses hold special significance for me (watch Revolutionary Girl Utena, and you'll understand):


Spoiler
Spoiler


I think both the second and third a really beatiful. Especially this metallic shine of the second.

#29 Eleonora Morgan

Eleonora Morgan

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 78 posts
  • Location:Netherlands
  • Guild Tag:[Isil]
  • Server:Piken Square

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:39 AM

Posted Image

Just one of the many sylvari I made this BWE. I tried to match her hair to the white leafs/petals of her eyebrows. There are just so many possible combinations, I don't know how I'm ever going to make a choice!

Honestly I wouldn't mind a 'random' button, just to see what comes up.

#30 tallanx

tallanx

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:45 AM

I'm definitely giving mine bright blue hair, haven't decided on skin colour yet though





Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Sylvari

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users