Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Help
- - - - -

Sniper build


  • Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Pewpew11

Pewpew11

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:59 AM

http://www.gw2db.com...191|1882|0|0|0|

Key Features:

- high crit rate and high crit damage
- increased range
- +10% more damage (+20% if full endurance)
- +10% crit rate when not moving
- 4 ways to buff crit rate (3 skills and at 75%)
- bomb kit to knock people back if they get too close.  Escaping and bombing downed players.
- heal ever 15 secs


Let me know what you guys think.  Very squishy build designed around auto attack from range to get enemy low before they get to you.  Great for hill/rooftop sniping.

Cant wait to try it out on live.

Edited by Pewpew11, 25 July 2012 - 02:23 AM.


#2 Sol1

Sol1

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 314 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:24 AM

Use the mine kit if you want a knockback imo as it's on an 18 second CD, which is far better than Big Ol' Bomb @ 45 secs.

#3 Pewpew11

Pewpew11

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:32 AM

I do not recall the recharge time but all wiki's say 30 secs.  So 22.5 with my build.

I prefer the bomb kit over mine as mine only really has the knockback with crappy damage.  The big bomb does nice damage and i get the bomb kit too.

#4 Absolutionis

Absolutionis

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 03:10 AM

You shouldn't care about the damage of the mine. It's the knockback that matters.

BOB is a timed bomb that your opponent can just walk away until it detonates and then continue to wail on you. If you miss, it's a longer cooldown.
The mine allows you to place it and dance around it forever daring your opponent to come close. It doesn't detonate until your opponent detonates it.

Plus, the bomb kit is quite condition-focused.
The mine kit's main and toolbelt abilities are straight damage. You can even lay the minefield for funsies and dance around those. Your opponent may simply avoid it out of ignorance/inexperience while you continue to shoot at them.

#5 Sol1

Sol1

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 314 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 03:25 AM

View PostAbsolutionis, on 25 July 2012 - 03:10 AM, said:

You shouldn't care about the damage of the mine. It's the knockback that matters.

BOB is a timed bomb that your opponent can just walk away until it detonates and then continue to wail on you. If you miss, it's a longer cooldown.
The mine allows you to place it and dance around it forever daring your opponent to come close. It doesn't detonate until your opponent detonates it.

Plus, the bomb kit is quite condition-focused.
The mine kit's main and toolbelt abilities are straight damage. You can even lay the minefield for funsies and dance around those. Your opponent may simply avoid it out of ignorance/inexperience while you continue to shoot at them.

This exactly.

#6 Kamokunz

Kamokunz

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 73 posts
  • Guild Tag:[VIII]
  • Server:Anvil Rock

Posted 25 July 2012 - 03:47 AM

So this build is designed to not move much, but also low HP and Def. If you are caught, it's deadly. However, do NOT expect too much of that range, I don't think you can literally snipe without being seen. What would you do if they run away? with my build I can pull off roughly 300% movement speed if I have to. From my experience, bomb kit is hard to use, they can just dodge it (and you don't even have trait that increase its radius). Also don't expect that regeneration to save your lifes. I guess it's killed or be killed, not my way of doing things.

#7 Phuriocity

Phuriocity

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 03:57 AM

Even with the increased ranged you won't be outranging, say, Warrior rifles, and you'll still BE outranged by ranger longbows, as the base range of Engi rifle is 900 it's 1200 for other classes ranged weapons.

Not knocking your build, just a warning in case you were unaware.

#8 blakdoxa

blakdoxa

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1069 posts
  • Server:Crystal Desert

Posted 25 July 2012 - 04:05 AM

In all seriousness I'll try for something a whole lot safer: http://www.gw2build.....0.0.20.30.20.0
Doesn't always have to be about getting the most dps or whatever. Cause you can still build in a way where you still get it.
Funny enough the build I made seems more support oriented.

#9 Cadent

Cadent

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 04:05 AM

I did something similar, with sigil of superior earth on my rifle, as well as swiftness on crit trait, and Elixir B, U, and S.

Basically it allowed me to keep almost 100% swiftness + vigor, while spamming bleeds and burning on enemies by using elixir B and U. I also had 50% crit chance, and still managed to have 27k hp and was critting for 2-3k hip shots.

I think if you want to really do damage with the rifle from a distance you shouldn't focus on sitting still. Everything about your build focuses on you sitting in one spot (even bomb kit favors you sitting instead of actively moving).

IMO, this build would be much better if it focused on more mobility.

#10 Adamantium

Adamantium

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 409 posts
  • Location:California, USA
  • Guild Tag:[MoG]
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 25 July 2012 - 05:45 AM

View PostKamokunz, on 25 July 2012 - 03:47 AM, said:

with my build I can pull off roughly 300% movement speed if I have to.

Wait what? ... How do you propose you're doing this?


View PostPhuriocity, on 25 July 2012 - 03:57 AM, said:

Even with the increased ranged you won't be outranging, say, Warrior rifles, and you'll still BE outranged by ranger longbows, as the base range of Engi rifle is 900 it's 1200 for other classes ranged weapons.

Not knocking your build, just a warning in case you were unaware.

Rifle base range is 1000 and can be traited to 1200 (which he has slotted).

Edited by Adamantium, 25 July 2012 - 05:45 AM.


#11 Draconious

Draconious

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 238 posts
  • Server:Stormbluff Isle

Posted 25 July 2012 - 05:48 AM

The rifle inflicts the most damage ar close range. It's not really a sniper weapon. Using just auto attack to kill an enemy is spectacularly ineffective as the auto attack of the rifle actually does not do that much damage. I got a 1.3k crit from rifle last BWE never seen any rifle auto attack g higher. If you want a sniper build the engineer unfortunately can't really fill that role atm.o

#12 Phuriocity

Phuriocity

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 05:49 AM

View PostAdamantium, on 25 July 2012 - 05:45 AM, said:

Wait what? ... How do you propose you're doing this?




Rifle base range is 1000 and can be traited to 1200 (which he has slotted).

And that doesn't change the fact that all other ranged classes still have the same range as him, and the ranger longbow is still longer.

I wasn't saying that he'd be outranged by everyone, just that his "increased range" wasn't actually "increased range" but "increase from lower to normal range."

#13 Adamantium

Adamantium

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 409 posts
  • Location:California, USA
  • Guild Tag:[MoG]
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:20 AM

View PostPhuriocity, on 25 July 2012 - 05:49 AM, said:

And that doesn't change the fact that all other ranged classes still have the same range as him, and the ranger longbow is still longer.

I wasn't saying that he'd be outranged by everyone, just that his "increased range" wasn't actually "increased range" but "increase from lower to normal range."

You indeed said he would be outranged by a Ranger and other classes because they get 1200 range compared to our 900. That is incorrect, this build can have exactly the same range as any other class. No one is outranging anyone, including a longbow Ranger.

Edited by Adamantium, 25 July 2012 - 06:23 AM.


#14 Phuriocity

Phuriocity

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:23 AM

View PostAdamantium, on 25 July 2012 - 06:20 AM, said:

You said he would be outranged by a Ranger and other classes because they get 1200 range compared to our 900. That is incorrect, this build can have exactly the same range as any other class.

Quote

Even with the increased ranged you won't be outranging, say, Warrior rifles, and you'll still BE outranged by ranger longbows, as the base range of Engi rifle is 900 it's 1200 for other classes ranged weapons.


You're obviously reading me incorrect. I said HE wouldn't outrange THEM, despite the fact that his talent "increases range". Which is true.

And he WILL be outranged by longbow rangers who trait for it, their range is 1500.

Edit: Dude. The point of my post was that despite the fact he is traiting for "increased range" he does not have an increased range over anyone else.

Edited by Phuriocity, 25 July 2012 - 06:26 AM.


#15 Adamantium

Adamantium

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 409 posts
  • Location:California, USA
  • Guild Tag:[MoG]
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:25 AM

View PostPhuriocity, on 25 July 2012 - 06:23 AM, said:

[/size][/font][/color]

You're obviously reading me incorrect. I said HE wouldn't outrange THEM, despite the fact that his talent "increases range". Which is true.

And he WILL be outranged by longbow rangers who trait for it, their range is 1500.

He never said his goal was to outrange anyone, so I'm not sure how this started. Regardless the base range is not 900 as you just quoted yourself saying. It is 1000, but for the purposes of this build his range is 1200 so both 900 and 1000 are irrelevant.

I guess I'm just confused on why you brought it up in the first place as he didn't say anything about having a better range than other classes.

Edited by Adamantium, 25 July 2012 - 06:26 AM.


#16 Phuriocity

Phuriocity

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:29 AM

View PostAdamantium, on 25 July 2012 - 06:25 AM, said:

He never said his goal was to outrange anyone, so I'm not sure how this started. Regardless the base range is not 900 as you just quoted yourself saying. It is 1000, but for the purposes of this build his range is 1200 so both 900 and 1000 are irrelevant.

I guess I'm just confused on why you brought it up in the first place as he didn't say anything about having a better range than other classes.

Quote

just a warning in case you were unaware.  


Stop being such a prick, man. A lot of people don't read the ranged on the tooltips, and a lot of people will think "OH, increased range on my rifle, I should be shooting farther than other people.

I was clarifying that this is not the case.

And again, longbow rangers can trait for 1500 range.

I was wrong about the 900 range. Excuse me. The rest of my post is entirely valid.

#17 Adamantium

Adamantium

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 409 posts
  • Location:California, USA
  • Guild Tag:[MoG]
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:35 AM

View PostPhuriocity, on 25 July 2012 - 06:29 AM, said:

[/size][/font][/color]

Stop being such a prick, man. A lot of people don't read the ranged on the tooltips, and a lot of people will think "OH, increased range on my rifle, I should be shooting farther than other people.

I was clarifying that this is not the case.

And again, longbow rangers can trait for 1500 range.

I was wrong about the 900 range. Excuse me. The rest of my post is entirely valid.

Chill, no need to resort to name calling. I didn't understand why you brought it up was all. I didn't get the impression that he misunderstood anything, but if you did then that's fine. It's not a big deal I just didn't understand.

Edited by Adamantium, 25 July 2012 - 06:35 AM.


#18 Phuriocity

Phuriocity

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:39 AM

View PostAdamantium, on 25 July 2012 - 06:35 AM, said:

Chill, no need to resort to name calling. I didn't understand why you brought it up was all. I didn't get the impression that he misunderstood anything, but if you did then that's fine. It's not a big deal I just didn't understand.

I never assumed anything. I was just stating a fact, as some people might come into this thread and be like "OH SNIPER AWESOME RANGE" without reading into it.

I saw a lot of questions about Engi Rifle range over the past weekend, so I'm trying to pre-emptively provide information.

I don't think it's illogical to assume "increased range on rifle" would give you a longer range than your average rifle user, so since this isn't the case, I figure I'd point it out to save people a headache.

Apologies for the name-calling, but you were being stubborn and only addressing parts of post, which is frustrating when I'm just trying to help people who might come read this thread for information purposes.

EDIT: As I said in my original post to try to avoid this exact situation, it was just a warning for those who are unaware.

Edited by Phuriocity, 25 July 2012 - 06:46 AM.


#19 Rogmar

Rogmar

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:33 AM

This type of play style belongs on a Warrior. I know that's not what you want to hear, but it is what it is. The Engineer's strengths lie elsewhere.

#20 Kamokunz

Kamokunz

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 73 posts
  • Guild Tag:[VIII]
  • Server:Anvil Rock

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:46 AM

View PostAdamantium, on 25 July 2012 - 06:35 AM, said:

Chill, no need to resort to name calling. I didn't understand why you brought it up was all. I didn't get the impression that he misunderstood anything, but if you did then that's fine. It's not a big deal I just didn't understand.

OMG, don't you get it? If rangers have longer range, then this build DOES NOT WORK with them. Why? because he wouldn't be able to reach them, when he starts to attack, they can counter-attack farther, which then force him to move out of his spot, or else he gets sniped by rangers instead, it's a backfire.
I mean seriously, who gives a crap about 900 1000 1200, even I can see what he meant, even if that's not correct.

Edited by Kamokunz, 25 July 2012 - 07:57 AM.


#21 Adamantium

Adamantium

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 409 posts
  • Location:California, USA
  • Guild Tag:[MoG]
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:56 AM

View PostKamokunz, on 25 July 2012 - 07:46 AM, said:

OMG, don't you get it? If rangers have longer range, then this build DOES NOT WORK with them. Why? because he wouldn't be able to reach them, when he starts to attack, they can counter-attack farther, which then force him to move out of his spot, or else he gets sniped by rangers instead, it's a backfire.
I mean seriously, who gives a crap about 900 1000 1200, even I can see what he meant, even if that's not correct.

Yeah I actually do get it since we already clarified our misunderstanding a few posts back.

What I don't get is how you "pull off roughly 300% movement speed if you want to". I'm still waiting for an explanation of that one.

#22 Kamokunz

Kamokunz

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 73 posts
  • Guild Tag:[VIII]
  • Server:Anvil Rock

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:58 AM

View PostAdamantium, on 25 July 2012 - 07:56 AM, said:

Yeah I actually do get it since we already clarified our misunderstanding a few posts back.

What I don't get is how you "pull off roughly 300% movement speed if you want to". I'm still waiting for an explanation of that one.

View PostKamokunz, on 25 July 2012 - 03:47 AM, said:

with my build I can pull off roughly 300% movement speed if I have to.

View PostAdamantium, on 25 July 2012 - 05:45 AM, said:

Wait what? ... How do you propose you're doing this?

Infused Precision (Trait): 50% chance to gain swiftness for 5 seconds on critical hits. This effect cannot trigger more than once every 5 seconds.
Elixir F (Elixir Gun): Fire a bouncing glob of Elixir F that cripples foes and grants swiftness to you and allies.
Super Speed (Slick Shoes): Run at double speed.

#23 Adamantium

Adamantium

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 409 posts
  • Location:California, USA
  • Guild Tag:[MoG]
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:01 AM

View PostKamokunz, on 25 July 2012 - 07:58 AM, said:

Infused Precision (Trait): 50% chance to gain swiftness for 5 seconds on critical hits. This effect cannot trigger more than once every 5 seconds.
Elixir F (Elixir Gun): Fire a bouncing glob of Elixir F that cripples foes and grants swiftness to you and allies.
Super Speed (Slick Shoes): Run at double speed.

This doesn't explain anything, are you saying that all of these stack?

#24 Kamokunz

Kamokunz

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 73 posts
  • Guild Tag:[VIII]
  • Server:Anvil Rock

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:08 AM

View PostAdamantium, on 25 July 2012 - 08:01 AM, said:

This doesn't explain anything, are you saying that all of these stack?

It looks to me like you don't have any ideas what you are looking at, you keep asking for clarifications. And look, all of these are just an estimation, since all the info are from beta, you can't ask for exact values. And yes, I believe swiftness and slick shoes do  stack.

#25 Adamantium

Adamantium

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 409 posts
  • Location:California, USA
  • Guild Tag:[MoG]
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:20 AM

View PostKamokunz, on 25 July 2012 - 08:08 AM, said:

It looks to me like you don't have any ideas what you are looking at, you keep asking for clarifications. And look, all of these are just an estimation, since all the info are from beta, you can't ask for exact values. And yes, I believe swiftness and slick shoes do  stack.

I wanted to give you the benefit of the doubt and let you explain but for some reason you refuse to do that and get all arrogant and condescending on me. You're saying I have no idea what I'm looking at but you think active speed buffs stack? I asked for clarification because I didn't want to jump to the conclusion that you had no idea what you were talking about, but here we are and you clearly don't. There's no way you could ever get to 300% speed, or anything close to it (barring some unique event item or something). Swiftness doesn't stack with itself (in intensity) or Super Speed from Slick Shoes.

#26 Kamokunz

Kamokunz

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 73 posts
  • Guild Tag:[VIII]
  • Server:Anvil Rock

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:28 AM

View PostAdamantium, on 25 July 2012 - 08:20 AM, said:

I wanted to give you the benefit of the doubt and let you explain but for some reason you refuse to do that and get all arrogant and condescending on me. You're saying I have no idea what I'm looking at but you think active speed buffs stack? I asked for clarification because I didn't want to jump to the conclusion that you had no idea what you were talking about, but here we are and you clearly don't. There's no way you could ever get to 300% speed, or anything close to it (barring some unique event item or something). Swiftness doesn't stack with itself (in intensity) or Super Speed from Slick Shoes.

WOW, I'm like, bleh. All I can say is, you started all these, we were just commenting on the "sniper build". I also refer you have no ideas because I read your comments to Phuriocity. What I tried to say was, "what would you do if they run away?". My estimation might be wrong, but I just wanted to point out, the same thing Phuriocity did.

Look, if you are just trying to prove our statements wrong, and you are absolutely right, then believe however you want to believe. This topic has been pirated.

#27 Adamantium

Adamantium

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 409 posts
  • Location:California, USA
  • Guild Tag:[MoG]
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:40 AM

My conversation with Phuriocity (still not sure why you're bringing that up?) was completely on topic and about this build, but I will give some more of my thoughts about the build rather than argue about it.

I agree with Sol1 about the knockback. Sure, BOB has good damage along with the knockback but it's just too easy to avoid especially once you know your opponent has it. Plus the Bomb Kit is a melee range kit, but this build is about maintaining distance so it seems counter intuitive. Bomb Kit is the bomb (pun intended) don't get me wrong, I just don't think it fits here with this build. The Scope is a very interesting trait, I almost tried it out this past BWE3. I couldn't bring myself to do it because this game is so much about movement. If you can perch yourself out of the way and in an unnoticeable position it would definitely be good, but that's just so tough to do in sPvP in my experience. If you don't have trouble doing that then by all means stick with the trait. The only way I can think of this trait as being really good is if you have Juggernaut and you're probably not moving much anyways. I would use Static Discharge (works really well when you have Med Kit equipped) or Speedy Gadgets instead (crit and blind immunity more often), but that's just my opinion. In general I think it's a good build I would only change that one trait and Bomb Kit.

Edited by Adamantium, 25 July 2012 - 08:46 AM.


#28 Killyox

Killyox

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 3120 posts
  • Location:Poland
  • Profession:Engineer
  • Guild Tag:[InVi]
  • Server:Piken Square

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:33 AM

You would get a lot higher burst potential with Throw Wrench from tool kit and Flame Blast from flamethrower. Flame Blast + Throw Wrench combo can do 12k dmg easily. Add in blunderbuss and jump shot and you're looking at high numbers. You get more crit to already high crit with Elixir B but your BURST is not increased all that much.

#29 dawdler

dawdler

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 740 posts
  • Server:Piken Square

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:03 PM

I tried a rifle crit build and tbh I find it lacking compared to a similar pistol/shield crit bleed build. As a sniper, you need more burst and more range - the Warriors rifle is simply better for this. Having high crit (I think I had 58% passive) gives the pistol with earth sigil a VAST advantage in terms of steady damage output. Count in the fact that it AoE bleeds and damages and the rifle become pathetic.

So if I want a sniper build... I'd probably pick the warrior and play as a rifleman with banners instead.

#30 Pewpew11

Pewpew11

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 02:01 PM

i think it will work :)

i played a condition build p/s in bw3 so i know that works




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users