• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Flamepecker

Flamepecker

Fahrar Cub

• New Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:46 PM

Lets start out with saying that I have posted this exact thread on a different forum that I am home to, but I would like to get some more opinions! :) Here is my build that I have created.http://www.gw2build.....0.20.20.0.30.0

Okay, the focus of the build is to use the longbow primarily and have a switch to warhorn/sword for more of an evasive melee focused on getting the hell out of melee and back into long range. The build I used in the BWE3 used a sword/torch combo and seemed to do nice damage, so I feel that since this build isn't based much on condition damage the warhorn with its birds and its fury/swiftness buff would be a very very very nice addition.

With this build I was going to take the Ranger rune because it says damage power and I took that as 5% power, which with this build would give somewhere around like 101 power, but I would still get the bonus of the crit% and the crit damage. With the ranger build my ranger would automatically start out with a whopping 52% to crit, which is very nice being that every crit has a chance to cause a bleed and also every crit gives my pet might. With this being said I would also have Rampage as One and the Warhorn buff to up my crit even more. 72% with one or the other active!

One thing that really will make the build do plenty of damage would be the Quickening Zephyr. After doing some research, I found that quickness abilities effect attacks such as Rapid Shot (the bread and butter of longbow) in such a way that say I get off 8 attacks in Rapid Shot, it ups that amount to 16. This high crit chance along with the massive attack speed while using Rapid Shot would more than likely also apply quite a few bleeds as well as keep my pet with might (just an added bonus). Not to mention, with the massive attack speed I would more than likely keep both protection and the damage boost from both spirits up the whole time.

This all being said, I am pretty sure the ranger rune only give 5% DAMAGE and not power when the pet is active. So, the question I have for you all is this. Should I use the ranger rune which would keep my crit at a very high % and also increase the damage of the crits OR get something like the mesmer rune with the primary focus being power but the side bonus of a little amount (like 50) precision? Also! Tell me how you feel my build would work!

#2 TYphoon34

TYphoon34

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 328 posts
  • Guild Tag:[EtG]
  • Server:Crystal Desert

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:47 PM

View PostFlamepecker, on 26 July 2012 - 09:46 PM, said:

Lets start out with saying that I have posted this exact thread on a different forum that I am home to, but I would like to get some more opinions! :) Here is my build that I have created.http://www.gw2build.....0.20.20.0.30.0

Okay, the focus of the build is to use the longbow primarily and have a switch to warhorn/sword for more of an evasive melee focused on getting the hell out of melee and back into long range. The build I used in the BWE3 used a sword/torch combo and seemed to do nice damage, so I feel that since this build isn't based much on condition damage the warhorn with its birds and its fury/swiftness buff would be a very very very nice addition.

With this build I was going to take the Ranger rune because it says damage power and I took that as 5% power, which with this build would give somewhere around like 101 power, but I would still get the bonus of the crit% and the crit damage. With the ranger build my ranger would automatically start out with a whopping 52% to crit, which is very nice being that every crit has a chance to cause a bleed and also every crit gives my pet might. With this being said I would also have Rampage as One and the Warhorn buff to up my crit even more. 72% with one or the other active!

One thing that really will make the build do plenty of damage would be the Quickening Zephyr. After doing some research, I found that quickness abilities effect attacks such as Rapid Shot (the bread and butter of longbow) in such a way that say I get off 8 attacks in Rapid Shot, it ups that amount to 16. This high crit chance along with the massive attack speed while using Rapid Shot would more than likely also apply quite a few bleeds as well as keep my pet with might (just an added bonus). Not to mention, with the massive attack speed I would more than likely keep both protection and the damage boost from both spirits up the whole time.

This all being said, I am pretty sure the ranger rune only give 5% DAMAGE and not power when the pet is active. So, the question I have for you all is this. Should I use the ranger rune which would keep my crit at a very high % and also increase the damage of the crits OR get something like the mesmer rune with the primary focus being power but the side bonus of a little amount (like 50) precision? Also! Tell me how you feel my build would work!

This is pretty close to my build.

Go with either Ranger, Scholar or Divinity.

#3 Spatzimaus

Spatzimaus

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:19 AM

Personally, I don't like the Ranger runes.  Besides the fact that it's just so crit-centric, and I prefer more dependable damage, the +3%/+5% crit damage boosts feel really weak; I mean, you're adding 5% to your damage but only on critical hits.  (And it's a linear 5% on top of the +80ish% you'll have already, so you're really only gaining ~2.5-3%.)  Even if you like +crit damage boosts, the Divinity runes add +3% AND add +10 to each stat per level.

If I'm going DPS, the combo I tried in the last BWE was five Mesmer runes (+165 Power, +50 Precision) and one Divinity (+10 per stat, +3% crit damage), but then I realized that just going six Divinity would probably be even better; +60 Power, +60 Precision, +60 Vitality, +60 Toughness, +18% crit damage.  Sure, you lose 105 points of Power, but the extra defensive stats can always be used to take a more offense-oriented set in the amulet/jewel categories to make up that Power difference, and the crit damage is a nice plus.

#4 TYphoon34

TYphoon34

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 328 posts
  • Guild Tag:[EtG]
  • Server:Crystal Desert

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:42 AM

View PostSpatzimaus, on 27 July 2012 - 01:19 AM, said:

Personally, I don't like the Ranger runes.  Besides the fact that it's just so crit-centric, and I prefer more dependable damage, the +3%/+5% crit damage boosts feel really weak; I mean, you're adding 5% to your damage but only on critical hits.  (And it's a linear 5% on top of the +80ish% you'll have already, so you're really only gaining ~2.5-3%.)  Even if you like +crit damage boosts, the Divinity runes add +3% AND add +10 to each stat per level.

If I'm going DPS, the combo I tried in the last BWE was five Mesmer runes (+165 Power, +50 Precision) and one Divinity (+10 per stat, +3% crit damage), but then I realized that just going six Divinity would probably be even better; +60 Power, +60 Precision, +60 Vitality, +60 Toughness, +18% crit damage.  Sure, you lose 105 points of Power, but the extra defensive stats can always be used to take a more offense-oriented set in the amulet/jewel categories to make up that Power difference, and the crit damage is a nice plus.

If you have a high crit rate, you're basically always critting.

I used Rune of the scholar and I was getting off 8k rapid fire's pretty easily on light.

#5 Flamepecker

Flamepecker

Fahrar Cub

• New Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:36 AM

So, you guys like the build then? I mean, the reason I was taking the Ranger is because it seemed to give so much damage with the amount of crit (around 7) that the ranger runes gave, plus and extra 8% crit damage seems to be a nice touch and 5% overall damage with my pet out.

The Divinity one seems nice, but I feel like it doesn't as much damage and I feel like I will have enough survivability with the constant proc of protection from my spirit. And not to mention, I feel like the build I posted will out dps most ranged that attack me, and when it comes to melee I should have enough getup and go to get the hell away from them, not to mention the massive amount of evasion from the main hand sword. I mean, worse comes to worst I can just test out a bunch of different runes, ya know!?

Thanks for answering though! But if you can answer these questions as well, I would appreciate it! And tell me what you think about the overall build :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Ranger, Build, Runes, Spec, Longbow, PvP

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users