Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Help
* * * - - 5 votes

How about a new playable race-the Mursaat.

Mursaat New cool idea player Playable

  • Please log in to reply
145 replies to this topic

#1 nick the man

nick the man

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 79 posts
  • Location:Mars, though I use a US timezone, but ignore that

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:16 PM

Ok here is my idea for a new playable race-mursaat (youngling)

The lore could be based on them helping the other races fight an elder dragon perhaps it is in their homelands. The player could adopt the form of a floating 7 foot tall ethereal being with fantastic powers. Although powerful, as the character is young they have yet to develop the ability to sustain their powers indefinably.

The elite skills could be:

Make Unseen- make the user completly invisible for 45 sec. as well as immune to all binding, and damage dealing effects, also disables casters spells. User can turn off skill.
CD-75 sec.

Field of Agony- User sends out a wave of pure agony, incapacitating all enemies and friends with in 10 yards for 12 seconds. Along with this the Mursaat is rooted while the spell effect goes on. Then after the first 4 second tick and later at the 8th and 12th a highly damaging wave of energy hits all friends and enemies for (10% for enemies) and (5% for friends) damage afterwards the user is dazed and rooted to place for an additional 4 seconds.
CD-120 sec.

and lastly...

Jade Creation- This ability randomly summons from the Jade Bow, Jade Armor, Jade Cloak, or the Dreaded Jade Mirage.
Cast time-6 sec.
CD-180 sec.

The Armor, Cloak, and bow are similar ability wise to the first game.

Jade Mirage- In the 250 years since the disappearance of the mursaat their spell casters have been hard at work building an ultimate protector, to make sure that never again will a mursaat fall in combat. This Guardian of the unseen is unique in that it has the ability to disappear completely while casting terrible illusions, has a chance to bind enemies or send them running away. Can also adopt form of caster allowing them to escape. If at 20% health or below can adopt protective stance, appear and directly attack foe with the ultimate Mursaat ability, Spectral Agony (deals 15%-25% of foes total health damage over 5 seconds, followed by the destruction of unit).

-Note: I did not give spectral agony to the Mursaat youngling as that would be a bit OP, instead it is given to the construct which has a chance of being summoned.

So how do you like my idea guys?

#2 RavenBloodfeather

RavenBloodfeather

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 27 posts
  • Location:Darkest part of Poland :P
  • Guild Tag:[Fury]
  • Server:Fissure of Woe

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:33 PM

No. And that's because in GW lore they have been erased from existance in Prophecies and War in Kryta, maybe except of one. Here read  http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Mursaat. And to be honest those elites of yours are to OP to actually be in the game. Mursaat will propably be in GW2 but they will have some special role that nobody knows yet.

Edited by RavenBloodfeather, 27 July 2012 - 05:36 PM.


#3 Absolutionis

Absolutionis

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:36 PM

45sec invis/invincibility is absurdly overpowered. Combine with Mesmer Portal to win WvW. Best run skill ever. No.

People are complaining about the Sylvari AoE root that takes 2-4 hits to undo. You want to introduce a 12sec incapacitation (whatever that is)? Plus, affecting allies would be borderline griefing. No.

Jade Creation. Difficult to judge balance on description alone. People also don't like randomness. No.

Mursaat are explicitly the antagonists. The Human story explains this. You cannot make them a playable race for the same reason you cannot make the Icebrood and the Branded playable races.
Plus, you want to take a race known for its godlike powers where other races have to jump through hoops just to SEE and more hoops just to not die immediately. This would break flavor.

No.

#4 Miteshu

Miteshu

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1987 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:39 PM

View PostAbsolutionis, on 27 July 2012 - 05:36 PM, said:

Mursaat are explicitly the antagonists..
I don't really want Mursaat either but, Charr are also antagonists, and we still have them.

#5 Kokocat

Kokocat

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 136 posts
  • Location:Texas
  • Profession:Thief
  • Guild Tag:[zzZ]
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:53 PM

But then ANet introduced Pyre Fierceshot which heralded "HEY! Not all Charr are horrible killing brutes!"

And *points to the Tengu* a much more believable race to become playable.

Edited by Baron000, 27 July 2012 - 06:02 PM.


#6 Absolutionis

Absolutionis

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:09 PM

View PostMiteshu, on 27 July 2012 - 05:39 PM, said:

I don't really want Mursaat either but, Charr are also antagonists, and we still have them.
No they're not. They're allied with the Humans in GW2.

The Mursaat formed the White Mantle, and the White Mantle are a Mursaat-worshipping cult that have been mentioned to explicitly be an enemy in GW2's human personal story.

#7 nick the man

nick the man

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 79 posts
  • Location:Mars, though I use a US timezone, but ignore that

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:39 PM

View PostRavenBloodfeather, on 27 July 2012 - 05:33 PM, said:

No. And that's because in GW lore they have been erased from existance in Prophecies and War in Kryta, maybe except of one. Here read  http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Mursaat. And to be honest those elites of yours are to OP to actually be in the game. Mursaat will propably be in GW2 but they will have some special role that nobody knows yet.

actually we only we only killed all the ones we SAW, not the ones saul saw in his amazing city, plus in the thousands of years that the mursaat had no threats (between the fall of the seers and the rise of the GW1 heroes) they could have been reproducing so ya, I expect AT LEAST for there to be thousands more

View PostAbsolutionis, on 27 July 2012 - 05:36 PM, said:

45sec invis/invincibility is absurdly overpowered. Combine with Mesmer Portal to win WvW. Best run skill ever. No.

People are complaining about the Sylvari AoE root that takes 2-4 hits to undo. You want to introduce a 12sec incapacitation (whatever that is)? Plus, affecting allies would be borderline griefing. No.

Jade Creation. Difficult to judge balance on description alone. People also don't like randomness. No.

Mursaat are explicitly the antagonists. The Human story explains this. You cannot make them a playable race for the same reason you cannot make the Icebrood and the Branded playable races.
Plus, you want to take a race known for its godlike powers where other races have to jump through hoops just to SEE and more hoops just to not die immediately. This would break flavor.

No.

ok regarding first ability it says that it also disables casters abilities so basically it is only useful to run away as you can't attack, go faster, buff or heal.

by incapacitation i meant a binding effect that also stuns. The balancing is in the fact that it does it to both foes and allies, this ability is similar to hell-fire in wow in that it damages enemies and allies. Also it also binds players in place and then after words when the effect ends the player is STILL bound meaning the foes would likely target them, so if anything its a bit of a liability to the players and only slightly beneficial to a group, this skill could be used to tip the scales in a match of equal sized forces.

The whole deal with balancing the creations are in the randomness, you can get an awesome one or 3 not-awesome minions, the whole idea being that this is one of the ONLY logical ways of putting in spectral agony, an extremely OP spell that everyone wants to use.

Regarding your last point-the whole hoops thing, that was in the first game, in this one I would imagine that with the asura and their tech the mursaat will be de-mystified as they will have to find a way to replicate ascension, I am willing to bet that most players of the first game would absolutely love to play as these guys and that they would take any supposed 'flavour breakings' willingly.

PS: the mursaat were by no means true antagonists at most they took the role of higher beings with a rational standpoint that in killing those who would kill them they could save themselves and the world from the titans, if anything our players in the first game put the world in danger for silly reasons and in conspiring with the vizier were evil.

View PostAbsolutionis, on 27 July 2012 - 06:09 PM, said:

No they're not. They're allied with the Humans in GW2.

The Mursaat formed the White Mantle, and the White Mantle are a Mursaat-worshipping cult that have been mentioned to explicitly be an enemy in GW2's human personal story.

ok first off the actions of the charr in the first game are FAR FAR worse than what the mursaat did, the charr WIPED OUT huge swaths of land and slaughtered hundreds of thousands (or more) in their plundering. If you partook of the BWE's you would know that many humans still hate them for their actions, so if the charr could become an ally. the Mursaat DEFINITELY could. Secondly, the mantle was formed at the direction of the mursaat but NOT by them, also after the first game they likely don't control them, meaning that  since they are not involved with mantle activity they are not causing the damage that the mantle does.

If anything the Mursaat could, to prove their loyalty wipe out, or stop mantle activity.

Edited by nick the man, 27 July 2012 - 06:33 PM.


#8 The Gatecrasher

The Gatecrasher

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 333 posts
  • Location:Not behind you.

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:49 PM

View PostMiteshu, on 27 July 2012 - 05:39 PM, said:

I don't really want Mursaat either but, Charr are also antagonists, and we still have them.

Well the humans did steal the Charr homelands in the beginning, all the Charr did was fight for it back in prophecies. I am sure the Humans and their gods did as much evil to the Charr as the Charr did to the Humans. A-net put them in a bad light to make an awesome story. The Mursaat on the other hand are pure evil.

#9 nick the man

nick the man

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 79 posts
  • Location:Mars, though I use a US timezone, but ignore that

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:58 PM

View PostThe Gatecrasher, on 27 July 2012 - 06:49 PM, said:

Well the humans did steal the Charr homelands in the beginning, all the Charr did was fight for it back in prophecies. I am sure the Humans and their gods did as much evil to the Charr as the Charr did to the Humans. A-net put them in a bad light to make an awesome story. The Mursaat on the other hand are pure evil.

sure, but you do know that the charr had expanded there, they were not there until after the khan-ur united them so they had only been in ascalon for a few hundred years before the arrival of the gods. And regarding the 'evil' of the humans all they did was try to find a place to stay the charr were the ones so violent and greedy that they took land they didn't need when other land was available. Just look at the leaked map, there is plenty of land they just wanted to expand for no reason.So for those reasons the charr are hardly kind hearted fluffy little bunnies, they were violent monsters that killl children with out any remorse.

Regarding the Mursaat, NONE of there actions caused anywhere near the mayhem of the charr, they thought a certain group of people would WIPE THEM OUT, by using those people instead of innocents to power the soul batteries and protect the world from the titans, they were able to save many millions more of both them and humans, to say they were evil is to say that the should have valued the lives of others over themselves, which is completely ridiculous.

#10 The Gatecrasher

The Gatecrasher

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 333 posts
  • Location:Not behind you.

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:25 PM

View Postnick the man, on 27 July 2012 - 06:58 PM, said:

sure, but you do know that the charr had expanded there, they were not there until after the khan-ur united them so they had only been in ascalon for a few hundred years before the arrival of the gods. And regarding the 'evil' of the humans all they did was try to find a place to stay the charr were the ones so violent and greedy that they took land they didn't need when other land was available. Just look at the leaked map, there is plenty of land they just wanted to expand for no reason.So for those reasons the charr are hardly kind hearted fluffy little bunnies, they were violent monsters that killl children with out any remorse.

Regarding the Mursaat, NONE of there actions caused anywhere near the mayhem of the charr, they thought a certain group of people would WIPE THEM OUT, by using those people instead of innocents to power the soul batteries and protect the world from the titans, they were able to save many millions more of both them and humans, to say they were evil is to say that the should have valued the lives of others over themselves, which is completely ridiculous.

I never said the Charr were not evil when they took Ascalon back, they were horrible. Who is to say that the Humans didn't butcher little Charr cubs when they pushed the Charr off their lands. Just because the ancestors of Ascalon needed land doesn't give them a right to push others off theirs.

The Mursaat powered those soul batteries to save themselves from the titans, they couldn't give a rats ass about the world. Betraying the White Mantle and making them turn Kryta into a dictatorship after the war with the Charr was a good thing too I guess?

Edit: You should also note that the Charr were fighting the Norn and had lost. So there was not much land up North to expand.

Edited by The Gatecrasher, 27 July 2012 - 07:29 PM.


#11 ShadowStrike

ShadowStrike

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 18 posts
  • Location:Portugal/Gouveia
  • Guild Tag:[VvV]
  • Server:Underworld

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:29 PM

View PostRavenBloodfeather, on 27 July 2012 - 05:33 PM, said:

No. And that's because in GW lore they have been erased from existance in Prophecies and War in Kryta, maybe except of one. Here read  http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Mursaat. And to be honest those elites of yours are to OP to actually be in the game. Mursaat will propably be in GW2 but they will have some special role that nobody knows yet.

YEAP

but i think that the Tengu will be ;)

Edited by ShadowStrike, 27 July 2012 - 07:30 PM.


#12 nick the man

nick the man

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 79 posts
  • Location:Mars, though I use a US timezone, but ignore that

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:04 PM

View PostThe Gatecrasher, on 27 July 2012 - 07:25 PM, said:

I never said the Charr were not evil when they took Ascalon back, they were horrible. Who is to say that the Humans didn't butcher little Charr cubs when they pushed the Charr off their lands. Just because the ancestors of Ascalon needed land doesn't give them a right to push others off theirs.

The Mursaat powered those soul batteries to save themselves from the titans, they couldn't give a rats ass about the world. Betraying the White Mantle and making them turn Kryta into a dictatorship after the war with the Charr was a good thing too I guess?

Edit: You should also note that the Charr were fighting the Norn and had lost. So there was not much land up North to expand.

they were pushed back before they were unified, with a khan-ur they would have carved some land. Plus you seem to forget that the charr kill other members of their race without any hesitations, so they likely kill ed more cubs than the humans of their gods. And as i said the charr had no right to that land in the first place, they were simply barbarians taking land they didnt need.

And you forget that without the mursaat kryta would have fallen and the charr would have annihilated  ALL of the humans there, the mursaat were the ones who helped kill the charr leaders and allowed the mantle to become strong, this was for the bennifit of the mursaat AND the humans, this allowed them to keep the charr back, there is no denying that kryta would have fallen without the mursaat, although less than ideal the time of the mantle was a STABLE time, it was better for them to be under strong leaders than dead at the hands of charr.

PS: In GW2 some npc's talk about how it was better before the shining blade defeated the mantle, just saying.

#13 The Gatecrasher

The Gatecrasher

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 333 posts
  • Location:Not behind you.

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:12 PM

View Postnick the man, on 27 July 2012 - 08:04 PM, said:

they were pushed back before they were unified, with a khan-ur they would have carved some land. Plus you seem to forget that the charr kill other members of their race without any hesitations, so they likely kill ed more cubs than the humans of their gods. And as i said the charr had no right to that land in the first place, they were simply barbarians taking land they didnt need.

And you forget that without the mursaat kryta would have fallen and the charr would have annihilated  ALL of the humans there, the mursaat were the ones who helped kill the charr leaders and allowed the mantle to become strong, this was for the bennifit of the mursaat AND the humans, this allowed them to keep the charr back, there is no denying that kryta would have fallen without the mursaat, although less than ideal the time of the mantle was a STABLE time, it was better for them to be under strong leaders than dead at the hands of charr.

PS: In GW2 some npc's talk about how it was better before the shining blade defeated the mantle, just saying.

You make some very good points on the Mursaat saving Kryta from the Charr :D. Even though they did turn on the Mantle and kill Saul (pfft, the mantle weren't very nice themselves anyway) they did save all of Kryta from getting massacred.

Edit: They didn't kill Saul, they just took him away.

Edited by The Gatecrasher, 27 July 2012 - 08:15 PM.


#14 nick the man

nick the man

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 79 posts
  • Location:Mars, though I use a US timezone, but ignore that

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:22 PM

View PostThe Gatecrasher, on 27 July 2012 - 08:12 PM, said:

You make some very good points on the Mursaat saving Kryta from the Charr :D. Even though they did turn on the Mantle and killed Saul (pfft, the mantle weren't very nice themselves anyway) they did save all of Kryta from getting massacred.

It's not me, this is simply how the writers made the story, which is why I have long suspected that the mursaat were intended to make an about face and side with the humans (though I thought it would be against the charr lol, I was very surprised when in EoTN we started befriending them). And regarding saul I really hope he wasn't just killed, all we know was that he was taken away and not killed in front of us, I found him and Ossa to be the best human characters due to their depth. Either way I am glad that we will at least get to see them in some capacity (the Mursaat).

View PostShadowStrike, on 27 July 2012 - 07:29 PM, said:

YEAP

but i think that the Tengu will be ;)

yes thats one of my fears lol, but if they are added I think it will only be if we go to cantha, as much of the zones they were in, in kryta/tarnished coast/ shiverpeaks has been explored in BWE's without sightings, (not all of it but alot, which is why i doubt any are in tyria anymore). But still its possible.

#15 markaedw

markaedw

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:41 PM

View Postnick the man, on 27 July 2012 - 06:58 PM, said:

Regarding the Mursaat, NONE of there actions caused anywhere near the mayhem of the charr, they thought a certain group of people would WIPE THEM OUT, by using those people instead of innocents to power the soul batteries and protect the world from the titans, they were able to save many millions more of both them and humans, to say they were evil is to say that the should have valued the lives of others over themselves, which is completely ridiculous.

Or the Mursaat could have been courageous and did what the "chosen" human players did, which was to go on the other side of the door and wipe out the foundry and stop the titans once and for all. Instead the Mursaat did the cowardly thing and convinced the White Mantle that it was ok to lie to people and get them to to the Bloodstone, where the helpless person was unarmed, tied up and then beheaded. Doesn't sound that good now does it.

Had the Mursaat been upfront about what was on the other side of the door, we would have gone in, cleared it out and the Mursaat would still be alive.

And valuing one life over another has been the mantra that allowed any group to wipe out another "just because."

View Postnick the man, on 27 July 2012 - 08:22 PM, said:

yes thats one of my fears lol, but if they are added I think it will only be if we go to cantha, as much of the zones they were in, in kryta/tarnished coast/ shiverpeaks has been explored in BWE's without sightings, (not all of it but alot, which is why i doubt any are in tyria anymore). But still its possible.

There is a small outpost of tengu merchants, crafters and weaponsmiths in the slyvari area.

Edited by markaedw, 27 July 2012 - 10:42 PM.


#16 nick the man

nick the man

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 79 posts
  • Location:Mars, though I use a US timezone, but ignore that

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:59 PM

View Postmarkaedw, on 27 July 2012 - 08:41 PM, said:

Or the Mursaat could have been courageous and did what the "chosen" human players did, which was to go on the other side of the door and wipe out the foundry and stop the titans once and for all. Instead the Mursaat did the cowardly thing and convinced the White Mantle that it was ok to lie to people and get them to to the Bloodstone, where the helpless person was unarmed, tied up and then beheaded. Doesn't sound that good now does it.

Had the Mursaat been upfront about what was on the other side of the door, we would have gone in, cleared it out and the Mursaat would still be alive.

And valuing one life over another has been the mantra that allowed any group to wipe out another "just because."



Ther is a small outpost of merchants, crafters and weaponsmiths in the slyvari area.

It really doesn't matter how they were killed, in fact I would prefer beheading to strangulation, at least its quick lol, but your emotional tirade aside, they did what was necessary to save countless innocents mursaat and human, even though a sacrifice was needed.

the whole 'clear 'em out' sounds great in theory (to you), but you forget that they did not know what was behind the gate, for all they knew it was an unstoppable killing force, by opening the door and being 'heroes' they may have utterly doomed the entire planet, we only went AFTER the door was opened (so we knew what it was, plus we had no other choice), to say they should have 'just' gone in is ridiculous as it would have put millions at risk unnecessarily.

regarding your other message the mursaat didn't know what was there only that it meant doom for them, and you forget that the mursaat had already saved us before we were in effect paying off a debt to them, they never killed people unnecessarily they did what was required, not what was easy. If we the heroes had their intel that the door opening=doom, and the only way to stop it from opening was sacrifice, what would your character have done?

#17 Dew

Dew

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 305 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:42 PM

I am not in favor of this idea. Sure we should see mursaat at some point, but not as playable if you ask me.

#18 nick the man

nick the man

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 79 posts
  • Location:Mars, though I use a US timezone, but ignore that

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:53 PM

View PostDew, on 27 July 2012 - 09:42 PM, said:

I am not in favor of this idea. Sure we should see mursaat at some point, but not as playable if you ask me.

Ok, what do you dislike about this idea? I know from your other posts in other threads that you dislike them, but what's wrong with them?

#19 Dew

Dew

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 305 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:13 PM

View Postnick the man, on 27 July 2012 - 09:53 PM, said:

Ok, what do you dislike about this idea? I know from your other posts in other threads that you dislike them, but what's wrong with them?

They don't seem suitable lorewise is all. And it was only 1 post, and I did not say I dislike them, just that I was not super interested in them, for me they are mostly just another enemy to slay, which is not a bad thing (yes I realise there is a lot of lore about them). So I am cool with them and all, just not headoverheels about them like a lot of players are.
Should they appear? Totally (even if I am kinda either way about it), but they are worshipped by the whitemantle, human badguys. So in my mind they must essentially be badguys too. Thus not playable. Also imo they would need a major overhaul design wise if the GW1 ones are any estimate of how they all look. (I know this is not entirely impossible).

And don't come up with the "but charr became allies" that story good as it is should not be overused.

So to answer what's wrong with them... they are badguys, enemies, things to kill, creatures that killed countless innocent people because of their own paranoia.

#20 markaedw

markaedw

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:38 PM

View Postnick the man, on 27 July 2012 - 08:59 PM, said:

It really doesn't matter how they were killed, in fact I would prefer beheading to strangulation, at least its quick lol, but your emotional tirade aside, they did what was necessary to save countless innocents mursaat and human, even though a sacrifice was needed.

the whole 'clear 'em out' sounds great in theory (to you), but you forget that they did not know what was behind the gate, for all they knew it was an unstoppable killing force, by opening the door and being 'heroes' they may have utterly doomed the entire planet, we only went AFTER the door was opened (so we knew what it was, plus we had no other choice), to say they should have 'just' gone in is ridiculous as it would have put millions at risk unnecessarily.

regarding your other message the mursaat didn't know what was there only that it meant doom for them, and you forget that the mursaat had already saved us before we were in effect paying off a debt to them, they never killed people unnecessarily they did what was required, not what was easy. If we the heroes had their intel that the door opening=doom, and the only way to stop it from opening was sacrifice, what would your character have done?

Their morality is irrelavant, they chose to kill humans to keep the door closed. We chose not to die. They attacked. We defended. They lost and were wiped out. Should have come up with a "plan B."

Edited by markaedw, 27 July 2012 - 11:49 PM.


#21 nick the man

nick the man

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 79 posts
  • Location:Mars, though I use a US timezone, but ignore that

Posted 28 July 2012 - 12:02 AM

View PostDew, on 27 July 2012 - 11:13 PM, said:

They don't seem suitable lorewise is all. And it was only 1 post, and I did not say I dislike them, just that I was not super interested in them, for me they are mostly just another enemy to slay, which is not a bad thing (yes I realise there is a lot of lore about them). So I am cool with them and all, just not headoverheels about them like a lot of players are.
Should they appear? Totally (even if I am kinda either way about it), but they are worshipped by the whitemantle, human badguys. So in my mind they must essentially be badguys too. Thus not playable. Also imo they would need a major overhaul design wise if the GW1 ones are any estimate of how they all look. (I know this is not entirely impossible).

And don't come up with the "but charr became allies" that story good as it is should not be overused.

So to answer what's wrong with them... they are badguys, enemies, things to kill, creatures that killed countless innocent people because of their own paranoia.

uh ok well in the 'will the mursaat play a large part in gw2' thread you said you weren't that interested, i misstated your position and for that I am sorry.

The whole 'bad guy' thing I have gone into before, so if interested read above for a different perspective.

And although you say you don't want a repeat of the charr story the other stories are kind of regurgitated too, both the norn and asura are pushed from their homelands by other forces. The sylvari are simialar to the humans (like a younger stage if you will) in that they were brought into being by a divine force that (for now) guides them, much like the early history of the humans on tyria.

There are many other examples but if you look at all of these stories you see many simialarities, as well as differences. For instance although both the charr and mursaat were portrayed in villains in the first game, one (the charr) were disorganized barbaric creatures, under the orders of the titans, they were causing destruction and harm in order to take lands from humans.

In nearly opposing form the mursaat acted to strengthen humans by bringing order in the form of the mantle, crippling the charr war effort, and making sure that the door of komalie remained sealed. They were also, unlike the charr presented as organized cultured beings that acted with much thought behind their actions. Along with that they were dissimilar to the charr in that they acted as controllers of the mantle whilst the charr were pawns of the titans.

PS: Ironically although the charr are presented as roman inspired, the mursaat act like classical rome as they bring structure and order to the locations in their sphere of influence, also similar their seeming sophistication and the way in which their enemies (gw1 heroes) saw them, as tyrannical despots (just like how historically the barbarians viewed the romans) so in that regard it is a bit of a misconception to view the charr as more romanized than the mursaat.

View Postmarkaedw, on 27 July 2012 - 11:38 PM, said:

Their morality is irrelavant, they chose to kill humans to keep the door closed. We chose not to die. They attacked. We defended. They lost and were wiped out. Should have come up with a "plan B."

hmm well your first 'points' were in regard to their morality quite an about face as you previously focused on how 'evil' they were.

well in regards to your new 'argument' I'm not sure what you mean. First of all they had no real choice in the use of humans FYI it was that or destruction, secondly the PC was not in any danger that they put themselves in, the chosen had elected to go their knowing they would never return (though they didn't know they would die, many would likely sacrifice themselves to save their people) and we don't actually know how many of them died or remain, only one confirmed to live, but there is still saul's city to think about. Oh ya and Lazarus did have a plan 'B' it was to break into pieces.

#22 Lyssa's Muse

Lyssa's Muse

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1142 posts
  • Server:Anvil Rock

Posted 28 July 2012 - 12:15 AM

View Postnick the man, on 27 July 2012 - 08:22 PM, said:

yes thats one of my fears lol, but if they are added I think it will only be if we go to cantha, as much of the zones they were in, in kryta/tarnished coast/ shiverpeaks has been explored in BWE's without sightings, (not all of it but alot, which is why i doubt any are in tyria anymore). But still its possible.

The Tengu have their own massive walled city state called the Dominion of Winds right next to Kryta. It's rather obvious that they will be the next playable race;)

#23 nick the man

nick the man

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 79 posts
  • Location:Mars, though I use a US timezone, but ignore that

Posted 28 July 2012 - 12:28 AM

View PostLyssa, on 28 July 2012 - 12:15 AM, said:

The Tengu have their own massive walled city state called the Dominion of Winds right next to Kryta. It's rather obvious that they will be the next playable race;)

It's likely that they will make an appearance, but unlike the humans, charr, norn, etc. that have a spread out presence, the tengu are on their last leg, I agree we will likely help them but don't think they will be the next playable race, though I think it would be cool if we could play as them if were to go to cantha, kinda helping them get some of their lost territory. Even so, I would rather be able to float than just be big bird, at least the mursaat as semi-divine, powerful, scholar types fill in a unique role (since we already have a bestial PC-the charr) the mursaat fill in the role i find lacking of the knowledgeable, long lived elder race (usually the elves in fantasy, just saying).

#24 Lyssa's Muse

Lyssa's Muse

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1142 posts
  • Server:Anvil Rock

Posted 28 July 2012 - 12:41 AM

View Postnick the man, on 28 July 2012 - 12:28 AM, said:

It's likely that they will make an appearance, but unlike the humans, charr, norn, etc. that have a spread out presence, the tengu are on their last leg, I agree we will likely help them but don't think they will be the next playable race, though I think it would be cool if we could play as them if were to go to cantha, kinda helping them get some of their lost territory. Even so, I would rather be able to float than just be big bird, at least the mursaat as semi-divine, powerful, scholar types fill in a unique role (since we already have a bestial PC-the charr) the mursaat fill in the role i find lacking of the knowledgeable, long lived elder race (usually the elves in fantasy, just saying).

Tengu are not on their last legs. They've simply congregated en masse in a city state. Forget about Cantha, just as many (or more) Tengu originate from Tyria. A Tengu npc evens states that they will soon have to decide whether to take action against the Elder Dragons.

You need to put aside your own preferences and think logically about this. The Mursaat swore revenge, and the White Mantle still exists. If they make an appearance, it will be as enemies.

#25 nick the man

nick the man

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 79 posts
  • Location:Mars, though I use a US timezone, but ignore that

Posted 28 July 2012 - 12:54 AM

View PostLyssa, on 28 July 2012 - 12:41 AM, said:

Tengu are not on their last legs. They've simply congregated en masse in a city state. Forget about Cantha, just as many (or more) Tengu originate from Tyria. A Tengu npc evens states that they will soon have to decide whether to take action against the Elder Dragons.

You need to put aside your own preferences and think logically about this. The Mursaat swore revenge, and the White Mantle still exists. If they make an appearance, it will be as enemies.

I am logically thinking and I know that their race has been devastated, they have little influence outside their city, they have no powerful allies that we know of, I also am certain that they have no great armies yet and if directly attacked by an elder dragon they would receive no help. For these reasons they are in a highly volatile position, and they are in fact on only one leg as they have moved to one location as they were to weak and ill numbered to survive in numerous locations.

You need to look at this logically, would they survive if primordius (I think his minions are attacking them, the location would be right I think) assaulted them? No. On the other hand they could become playable when we have to fight him, in a team up situation, I think the next person we fight will be Palawa Joko, as there will be MILLIONS of undead without a master after the fall of zhaitan, he may attack, just my opinion.

Edited by nick the man, 28 July 2012 - 12:57 AM.


#26 DrunkenMadKing

DrunkenMadKing

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 472 posts
  • Location:Somewhere not next to you
  • Server:Isle of Janthir

Posted 28 July 2012 - 01:16 AM

I doubt this will be a popular choice, but I truly hope they make Heckets as a playable race.  I think they did great job in creating their skins for GW2 compared to GW1.  Love them

#27 Veurr

Veurr

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 01:21 AM

Koda first. Also having just played through prophecies again recently are the Mursaat even sentient? They didn't have any sort of indicators of intelligence, acted more like elementals. I mean from my understading of the Lore from the campaign they were the pawns for other invaders both times that they attacked, first against the Seers and then again against the humans of tyria.

Maybe I'm missing something though.

#28 Lyssa's Muse

Lyssa's Muse

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1142 posts
  • Server:Anvil Rock

Posted 28 July 2012 - 01:23 AM

View Postnick the man, on 28 July 2012 - 12:54 AM, said:

I am logically thinking and I know that their race has been devastated, they have little influence outside their city, they have no powerful allies that we know of, I also am certain that they have no great armies yet and if directly attacked by an elder dragon they would receive no help. For these reasons they are in a highly volatile position, and they are in fact on only one leg as they have moved to one location as they were to weak and ill numbered to survive in numerous locations.

You need to look at this logically, would they survive if primordius (I think his minions are attacking them, the location would be right I think) assaulted them? No. On the other hand they could become playable when we have to fight him, in a team up situation, I think the next person we fight will be Palawa Joko, as there will be MILLIONS of undead without a master after the fall of zhaitan, he may attack, just my opinion.

All you have is conjecture here. The Tengu are already in the process of building relations with the neighbouring races. They didn't move to one location because they were too weak. The tribes have congregated to become a nation. That's an advancement.
May I remind you of what Talon Silverwing says in GW:EN:

"My people tell tales of the day when we will be free, when our lands will be revealed by a heavenly star and rise. When that day comes, human, only then will our races live in peace."

That's some pretty obvious foreshadowing there.

So to summarise, the Tengu have:
- A sizable population.
- A city
- A motive for joining the other races
- A lot of potential customisation
- And are highly desired as a playable race.

The odds of them becoming playable are considerably in their favor, and to say otherwise is to ignore the obvious.

Edited by Lyssa's Muse, 28 July 2012 - 01:24 AM.


#29 nick the man

nick the man

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 79 posts
  • Location:Mars, though I use a US timezone, but ignore that

Posted 28 July 2012 - 01:34 AM

View PostVeurr, on 28 July 2012 - 01:21 AM, said:

Koda first. Also having just played through prophecies again recently are the Mursaat even sentient? They didn't have any sort of indicators of intelligence, acted more like elementals. I mean from my understading of the Lore from the campaign they were the pawns for other invaders both times that they attacked, first against the Seers and then again against the humans of tyria.

Maybe I'm missing something though.

They are without doubt sentient as they were able to formalize plans, they understood prophecies, I am pretty sure that they spoke, and lazuras's actions (involving his aspects) were very thought out to insure him should anything happen to him.

View PostLyssa, on 28 July 2012 - 01:23 AM, said:

All you have is conjecture here. The Tengu are already in the process of building relations with the neighbouring races. They didn't move to one location because they were too weak. The tribes have congregated to become a nation. That's an advancement.
May I remind you of what Talon Silverwing says in GW:EN:

"My people tell tales of the day when we will be free, when our lands will be revealed by a heavenly star and rise. When that day comes, human, only then will our races live in peace."

That's some pretty obvious foreshadowing there.

So to summarise, the Tengu have:
- A sizable population.
- A city
- A motive for joining the other races
- A lot of potential customisation
- And are highly desired as a playable race.

The odds of them becoming playable are considerably in their favor, and to say otherwise is to ignore the obvious.

I never said it's impossible for them to be playable only that it is unlikely that they will be next as we will probably not fight primordious, they are all in one, easy to strike location, and lack the resources to spread out substantially (if not then why wouldn't they have any suburbs?)

And their motive has yet to come about, as they still have yet to send out emissaries that i have seen. I see no reason as to why they will be next to be playable If anything we may even get heket if we go to elona next (I doubt they become playable but they were supposed to be in elona.

#30 Kilconey

Kilconey

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 323 posts
  • Location:The internet
  • Server:Ehmry Bay

Posted 28 July 2012 - 01:34 AM

View Postnick the man, on 28 July 2012 - 12:54 AM, said:

I am logically thinking and I know that their race has been devastated, they have little influence outside their city, they have no powerful allies that we know of, I also am certain that they have no great armies yet and if directly attacked by an elder dragon they would receive no help. For these reasons they are in a highly volatile position, and they are in fact on only one leg as they have moved to one location as they were to weak and ill numbered to survive in numerous locations.

You need to look at this logically, would they survive if primordius (I think his minions are attacking them, the location would be right I think) assaulted them? No. On the other hand they could become playable when we have to fight him, in a team up situation, I think the next person we fight will be Palawa Joko, as there will be MILLIONS of undead without a master after the fall of zhaitan, he may attack, just my opinion.

Yes, they have a small army. Yes, they have little influence. And yes, they have no allies.

BUT THIS IS WHY THEY WILL JOIN THE ALLIANCE OF RACES! (Or whatever its called)
seems pretty obvious for me.





Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mursaat, New, cool, idea, player, Playable

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users