• Curse Sites
Help
* * * - - 5 votes

How about a new playable race-the Mursaat.

Mursaat New cool idea player Playable

• Please log in to reply
145 replies to this topic

#121 Hedge

Hedge

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 458 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:22 PM

I can't believe there are 120 replies, and not one of them from Konig. *Is disappointed*
I'm thinking, if any, he should be able to quickly shoot this down. Because really, just no.

#122 nick the man

nick the man

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:49 PM

View PostLyssa, on 31 July 2012 - 01:15 PM, said:

Agreed, I should have heeded my own advice and ignored this thread. By all means continue believing that people's disagreement with your theory means that its true. Sound logic. I'll pop by in a month or so when the Mursaat turn out to be enemies and rather short of the thousands that your "factual information" supported.

OK, even though you regard my ideas with scorn, I still don't hate you even when you illustrate your elitist mindset, I never equated disagreement with validity. I only said that when someone is incapable of backing up their assertions without dismissing canon lore, that they only help to reinforce the idea (by their inability to disprove it, no matter how hard they try). I will take note of your statement, and you should remember that this is an idea thread that shows how the idea could be implemented, and it's basis in lore this idea may not come to fruition but the whole point is that I demonstrate the lore allows it to occur, something which I think I might have accomplished (time will tell).

View PostHedge, on 31 July 2012 - 01:22 PM, said:

I can't believe there are 120 replies, and not one of them from Konig. *Is disappointed*
I'm thinking, if any, he should be able to quickly shoot this down. Because really, just no.

I am also slightly surprised that he has not commented, the funny thing about this thread is that no one has been able to conclusively win the debate as to whether or not there is a basis in lore for this idea, I would welcome some original objections, because the ones I am getting now are beginning to be repetitive. As soon as I prove a point the same question is asked, but anyway I ask again can anyone come up with an original argument against me?

Edited by nick the man, 31 July 2012 - 01:45 PM.

#123 Korra

Korra

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1415 posts
  • Server:Far Shiverpeaks

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:57 PM

No thanks. i don't wanna ruin the mursaat race seeing a bunch of retards playing it. they are suposed to be gracefull creatures, unique.

Besides that, lore issues, lore issues everywhere.

#124 nick the man

nick the man

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 02:35 PM

View PostKorra, on 31 July 2012 - 01:57 PM, said:

No thanks. i don't wanna ruin the mursaat race seeing a bunch of retards playing it. they are suposed to be gracefull creatures, unique.

I try to address all of them with what we have but some will always remain until we get more info, bring up any you see.

#125 binidj

binidj

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 105 posts
  • Guild Tag:[Grey]
  • Server:Piken Square

Posted 31 July 2012 - 02:45 PM

The only parallel to this I can think of would be to imagine GW2 were Babylon 5 and you were suggesting that the Shadows should be a playable race. Not only would balancing the race dilute the impact they have upon lore and the stories that have already been told but it would conflict with pretty much every bit of information there is on them.

There are three things of which I am pretty certain:
  • The Mursaat will have an impact on the continuing story of GW2.
  • Palawa Joko will have a significant role to play in the continuing story of GW2.
  • If there is going to be another race introduced it will be the Tengu.
  • The Mursaat will never become a playable race.

May I respectfully suggest that we let this thread die now?

Edited by binidj, 31 July 2012 - 02:45 PM.

#126 nick the man

nick the man

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 03:04 PM

View Postbinidj, on 31 July 2012 - 02:45 PM, said:

The only parallel to this I can think of would be to imagine GW2 were Babylon 5 and you were suggesting that the Shadows should be a playable race. Not only would balancing the race dilute the impact they have upon lore and the stories that have already been told but it would conflict with pretty much every bit of information there is on them.

There are three things of which I am pretty certain:
  • The Mursaat will have an impact on the continuing story of GW2.
  • Palawa Joko will have a significant role to play in the continuing story of GW2.
  • If there is going to be another race introduced it will be the Tengu.
  • The Mursaat will never become a playable race.

May I respectfully suggest that we let this thread die now?

Hmm well in my version of events (which don't conflict with any lore), I would say that if the mursaat were to be playable, there would be a notable difference in power between the newer 'younglings' and the elite spellcasters we met in gw. This WOULD have an impact in the story of gw2 as it could be used to show the relations between the races, perhaps document the fray between the human leadership, and other nations who willingly ally with mursaat. There could easily be an enemy force in the mursaat led by Lazarus the dire, this could illustrate the fracture between the older and more powerful elders ala mursaat of gw1, and the younger, more numerous mursaat that could be made playable. This addressed the first part I would say, (note: this is merely a suggestion of ways in which to add the race without breaking continuity or previous cannon).

I wholly agree that Joko will have a major impact, I think that after we defeat Zhaitan his forces will be added to palawa joko's own (something not many people have discussed), and this will result in a new southern threat which we will have to deal with, if a time for the mursaat to appear occurs, this is it, they, using there ancient knowledge could be very helpful in combating liches as well as locating bloodstones (if those would kill joko), as I said if any time arises for a mursaat playable race THIS would be it.

On the Tengu, I think they will appear as playable, but here is my idea on them, I think they (as they are being attacked by primordious) will eventually be forced to let other races in, they will also be compelled into joining forces with the other races in order to survive, I don't know how the other races would benefit, that has yet to be established. They will likely be the ones that NEED to fight primordious, and so we may be seeing alot of them in quest giver capacity etc., I wouldn't really want to play one, but I'm sure they would have some interesting lore.

On your last line, since you have no evidence for that, we can't really say that especially since we don't know what, f any races will be made playable, for all we know the koda could be made playable, and the tengu could become enemies, the same amount of evidence (or roughly so) supports all of the races, which is none, until an official announcement is made almost all of the races are possible choices.

#127 Zerogrifter

Zerogrifter

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 03:18 PM

My gut reaction was this would be awesome! Well because the Mursaat are a really friggen cool race but with lore and continuity I just don't see it happening since the race just screams inherently evil and while this isn't a definitive argument against your idea - I think we will wait to see what the lore and story is going to be for the Mursaat in GW2.
  • They obviously value self preservation which was the basis of the entire game of GW1 prophecies.
  • Humans kind of caused a mass extinction by unleashing the titans on the Mursaat so they might be kind of PO'ed @ the humans
  • The Mursaat have are primarily associated with the White Mantle, the d-bags of the human race.
  • They didn't mind sacrificing the "Chosen" Humans to power the lock on the gate to stop the titans from coming through.
I really couldn't see the 5 races eagerly trusting the Mursaat right off the bat. What would be equally as cool and much more in line with the lore: http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Seer

Seers could be re-introduced into the world by any number of stereotypical/tried and true story mechanics. If Anet wants to do this right they could be a prestige race. If they just want to pay homage to the race they could let players wear a Seer/Mursaat costume armor (like in GW1) purchasable from the cash shop.

View Postnick the man, on 31 July 2012 - 03:04 PM, said:

Hmm well in my version of events (which don't conflict with any lore), I would say that if the mursaat were to be playable, there would be a notable difference in power between the newer 'younglings' and the elite spellcasters we met in gw. This WOULD have an impact in the story of gw2 as it could be used to show the relations between the races, perhaps document the fray between the human leadership, and other nations who willingly ally with mursaat. There could easily be an enemy force in the mursaat led by Lazarus the dire, this could illustrate the fracture between the older and more powerful elders ala mursaat of gw1, and the younger, more numerous mursaat that could be made playable. This addressed the first part I would say, (note: this is merely a suggestion of ways in which to add the race without breaking continuity or previous cannon).

I'll admit I didn't read this first part - Interesting and good point but I still just see their close ties with the White Mantle as being a huge distraction. Then again I STILL hate the char and want to make them into boots but they are playable =P I still think the Seer are a better alternative and possibly will meet less resistance from the community. In the lore you providing the Mursaat could prove to be interesting and could have some cool story arcs.

I could see the Mursaat's forces splintering (akin to the Charr and the flame legion) after they were nearly destroyed by the humans/titans and with the racial characteristic desiring self-preservation (they aren't the mad scientists who want to destroy the world)  they may see the need to ban together and and fight the dragons. On the other hand they themselves may be a race of Elder Dragon champions. (<-completely unfounded speculation)

Edited by Zerogrifter, 31 July 2012 - 03:32 PM.

#128 nick the man

nick the man

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 03:59 PM

View PostZerogrifter, on 31 July 2012 - 03:18 PM, said:

My gut reaction was this would be awesome! Well because the Mursaat are a really friggen cool race but with lore and continuity I just don't see it happening since the race just screams inherently evil and while this isn't a definitive argument against your idea - I think we will wait to see what the lore and story is going to be for the Mursaat in GW2.
  • They obviously value self preservation which was the basis of the entire game of GW1 prophecies.
  • Humans kind of caused a mass extinction by unleashing the titans on the Mursaat so they might be kind of PO'ed @ the humans
  • The Mursaat have are primarily associated with the White Mantle, the d-bags of the human race.
  • They didn't mind sacrificing the "Chosen" Humans to power the lock on the gate to stop the titans from coming through.
I really couldn't see the 5 races eagerly trusting the Mursaat right off the bat. What would be equally as cool and much more in line with the lore: http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Seer

Seers could be re-introduced into the world by any number of stereotypical/tried and true story mechanics. If Anet wants to do this right they could be a prestige race. If they just want to pay homage to the race they could let players wear a Seer/Mursaat costume armor (like in GW1) purchasable from the cash shop.

I'll admit I didn't read this first part - Interesting and good point but I still just see their close ties with the White Mantle as being a huge distraction. Then again I STILL hate the char and want to make them into boots but they are playable =P I still think the Seer are a better alternative and possibly will meet less resistance from the community. In the lore you providing the Mursaat could prove to be interesting and could have some cool story arcs.

I could see the Mursaat's forces splintering (akin to the Charr and the flame legion) after they were nearly destroyed by the humans/titans and with the racial characteristic desiring self-preservation (they aren't the mad scientists who want to destroy the world)  they may see the need to ban together and and fight the dragons. On the other hand they themselves may be a race of Elder Dragon champions. (<-completely unfounded speculation)

Well I do see that the mursaat-mantle relationship could be a detriment to relations with other races, especially since the mantle carry over to this game (I experienced it first hand), Which is why I don't think that the humans would readily ally with the mursaat if they know that it is the same society that we fought in gw (and the shining blade will likely still distrust them, bringing in some cool human quests involving spying, which would be awesome) so for that reason, it may be neccessary that the 'old guard' such as Lazarus be at odds with any mursaat society (I can imagine lazarus trying to destroy divinities reach, which I think would be in keeping with the lore) as that may be the only way for a mursaat ally.

Even so we have very little info on the mursaat so most of this is speculation (hopefully some of these things will be addressed in game).

I have considered the seers as a playable race (ironically they look more dangerous than the mursaat), but from what I remember there was only one of them, and we have had no hints of more, so for that reason I would say that until the devs address this we may have to assume there is only one, and that they can't be a playable race. I guess the idea of prestige race sounds interesting, though I don't know if Anet would do that or if they want all races to have a full blown story line, etc. On the community resistance, I think don't think new players of gw2 (who didnt play first) will care very much, and while the players of gw1 may dislike it initially, I suspect that they will gradually love it more, similar to the charr, if Anet starts laying some groundwork, and people think its likely that the mursaat could become playable. In fact, I think that players may even begin to love the idea if they do it the right way and add some intrigue and some aspects of 'good mursaat' fighting the 'evil mursaat'on the other hand if its just sprung on them suddenly some of the players may complain and dislike it.

On the elder dragon champion bit, I never considered that, I'll have to see if that's possible but I don't know.

#129 jabberjabber

jabberjabber

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 04:08 PM

Wow, this thread's still top of the charts. So mursaat are cool, but how about the Kodan, is there a chance they could be made into a playable race? I want an iceberg city.

View Postjabberjabber, on 31 July 2012 - 04:04 PM, said:

Wow, this thread's still top of the charts. So mursaat are cool, but how about the Kodan, is there a chance they could be made into a playable race? I want an iceberg city.

Edited by jabberjabber, 31 July 2012 - 04:09 PM.

#130 nick the man

nick the man

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 04:13 PM

View Postjabberjabber, on 31 July 2012 - 04:08 PM, said:

You should take note that the kodan are unlikely to be made a possible race until we fight jormag. Even then I find it unlikely that we will get to go north (to fight him), I think it is more valid to assume he will come farther south, perhaps northern shiverpeaks, meaning we may not get to see many sanctuaries (the cities you referred to). Even so it is possible we may get to play as them espesially if we travel a ways to fight him (like farther north in the shiverpeaks than we currently go).

#131 jabberjabber

jabberjabber

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:41 PM

View Postnick the man, on 31 July 2012 - 04:13 PM, said:

You should take note that the kodan are unlikely to be made a possible race until we fight jormag. Even then I find it unlikely that we will get to go north (to fight him), I think it is more valid to assume he will come farther south, perhaps northern shiverpeaks, meaning we may not get to see many sanctuaries (the cities you referred to). Even so it is possible we may get to play as them espesially if we travel a ways to fight him (like farther north in the shiverpeaks than we currently go).

Cool, so kodan can be a playable race thats what I wanted to know.

#132 nick the man

nick the man

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:43 PM

Yes, do you have any more questions? Though I would recommend you read up on the lore yourself, rather than ask others, as I am not always correct.

#133 Ixelbyte

Ixelbyte

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:51 PM

View PostZerogrifter, on 31 July 2012 - 03:18 PM, said:

Just want to point out that the Charr wiped out basically a third of the Human Race and yet the Charr and Humans were able to kiss and make up, so if that could happen anything's possible lol

That said this is a stupid idea and it'll never happen.  One / a few Mursaat (I forget the number) wiped out an entire *ing Charr army (the ones attacking Kryta). You don't make a race that powerful be playable. And the whole "Oh but you play as younglings!" thing just screams BS.

#134 nick the man

nick the man

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:21 PM

View PostIxelbyte, on 31 July 2012 - 08:51 PM, said:

Just want to point out that the Charr wiped out basically a third of the Human Race and yet the Charr and Humans were able to kiss and make up, so if that could happen anything's possible lol

That said this is a stupid idea and it'll never happen.  One / a few Mursaat (I forget the number) wiped out an entire *ing Charr army (the ones attacking Kryta). You don't make a race that powerful be playable. And the whole "Oh but you play as younglings!" thing just screams BS.

Oh just wanted to point out, the charr also led to the destruction of Orr, as their presence forced the orrians to destroy the whole kingdom to save the city, so ya the charr aren't exactly plush toys.

Oh and the three mursaat you are talking about didn't destroy the entire army, but it was still many hundreds. That said, I took that into account when describing their powers, which is why I think it would be a bit OP to give players spectral agony, if there was a documented in lore reason, I think it could be very valid, and not 'stupid' to consider these beings for the purpose of becoming playable.

#135 Sirius

Sirius

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1889 posts
  • Guild Tag:[XoO]
  • Server:Stormbluff Isle

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:29 AM

A writer can come up with any number of excuses why seeming stumbling blocks aren't if he/she wants to hard enough. With enough creativity, they won't even look ridiculously contrived.

#136 Free Runner

Free Runner

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1249 posts
  • Guild Tag:[KSL]
  • Server:Piken Square

Posted 01 August 2012 - 02:15 PM

I just dont see it happening.

While its true the charr were set up as the antagonists originally, they never went through what the mursaat did - they were never pushed to the brink of extinction. Its going to be hard to pull off them coexisting peacefully with the other races especially the humans who were their primary downfall. The parting words of Lazarus promised that the the ones responsible for his/the mursaats defeat would pay eventually and thats sure to come around at some point but not in the form of them being playable.

View Postnick the man, on 31 July 2012 - 10:21 PM, said:

Oh just wanted to point out, the charr also led to the destruction of Orr, as their presence forced the orrians to destroy the whole kingdom to save the city, so ya the charr aren't exactly plush toys.

Do remember that the charr were told to attack Orr by their "gods" in order to cause its destruction by Abaddons servants. The nation wasnt destroyed to save itself, it was all part of a scheme that the charr had unknowingly been pulled into in their search for gods to match the humans.

#137 Zerogrifter

Zerogrifter

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 04:29 PM

View PostIxelbyte, on 31 July 2012 - 08:51 PM, said:

You know you heavily contradicted yourself there. Dare i say I think I just saw a bit of Lyssa in you... or you have multiple personalities :P If you take into consideration that a small group of people called destinies edge has been running around dropping dragon champions like they were fodder and there were also these people called Chosen, Wei no Su, and Ascendants about 250 years ago who would venture out into the wilderness and slaughter hundreds of creatures just to "vanquish that zone" whatever that means =P So yeah - dare I say there are heroes in the world of GW2.

View Postnick the man, on 31 July 2012 - 10:21 PM, said:

Oh and the three mursaat you are talking about didn't destroy the entire army, but it was still many hundreds. That said, I took that into account when describing their powers, which is why I think it would be a bit OP to give players spectral agony, if there was a documented in lore reason, I think it could be very valid, and not 'stupid' to consider these beings for the purpose of becoming playable.

Still learning the lore of GW1 - cool bit.  But again I have to disagree with you: They are actually Plush toys

View Postnick the man, on 31 July 2012 - 03:59 PM, said:

Well I do see that the mursaat-mantle relationship could be a detriment to relations with other races, especially since the mantle carry over to this game (I experienced it first hand) ... /stuff/

I did too.

My stab at making lore for the Seers:

They could have went to another dimension or were saved / preserved by the human gods (like the forgotten) and with the Human Gods city being an explorable dungeon - there could be a portal leading to the seers safe zone.  They could be brought back by being re-employed the gods to fight the dragon threat which would further that Dragons champion race and champions of the gods.

The scrying pool (which the origins are still speculated) in the eye of the north could be written to be a portal to the seers dimension/safe zone which put them out of reach of the mursaat. Over a (really really long) time frame the Seers society has been restored and they are have turned to be a thriving race.
The seers used the scrying pool (the portal) to communicate to the humans by giving abstract visions to help them combat the Destroyers and the Mursaat. This puts them in close proximity with the humans, like an unseen hand which was always guiding them but never revealed (for fear of being persecuted by the Mursaat again) which was helping them along the way but only slightly revealed.

With the humans a race that is now dying out, the Seers could feel sympathy for a people that they see as their Stewards making it the right moment and the right racial connection to make the Seers step forward from their silence, like the United States in WW2, and protect those have inadvertently been protecting them and to become a force which preserves the world from the dragons and other destructive forces that threaten it. (I'm looking at you Mr. Joko)

As a prestige race - I mean that the player would need to complete in game content with other races to gain access to the prestige race not that it isn't completely fleshed out or doesn't have its own story arcs. Each race could have a prestige race associated with it - Humans could be Mursaat/Seer - Charr could be Tengu, Norn could be the Kodan, Sylvari could be centaurs, and Asura could be Quaigon.

Edited by Zerogrifter, 01 August 2012 - 04:30 PM.

#138 nick the man

nick the man

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 05:06 PM

View PostSirius, on 01 August 2012 - 10:29 AM, said:

A writer can come up with any number of excuses why seeming stumbling blocks aren't if he/she wants to hard enough. With enough creativity, they won't even look ridiculously contrived.

I think thats especially true in gw2, I mean the writers lore style leaves way to many open questions, I mean just going into divinities reach you start asking questions, and that's just a city lol. But ya I think one of the cool things about gw is that there are so many loose ends, it makes the game better imo.

#139 jabberjabber

jabberjabber

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 05:13 PM

So, has anyone at arena net confirmed anything about the playable races, because maybe they won't have them. Is it impossible for their to be playable classes, or maybe just some cool new title after you get to cap?

#140 nick the man

nick the man

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 05:27 PM

View PostZerogrifter, on 01 August 2012 - 04:29 PM, said:

You know you heavily contradicted yourself there. Dare i say I think I just saw a bit of Lyssa in you... or you have multiple personalities :P If you take into consideration that a small group of people called destinies edge has been running around dropping dragon champions like they were fodder and there were also these people called Chosen, Wei no Su, and Ascendants about 250 years ago who would venture out into the wilderness and slaughter hundreds of creatures just to "vanquish that zone" whatever that means =P So yeah - dare I say there are heroes in the world of GW2.

Well, ya don't forget that in nightfall we kill a GOD and destinies edge almost kills an ELDER DRAGON, so ya we are already kinda overpowered lol, but I think the argument is that the mursaat have 'natural ability' and the playable races earn theirs, which is simply asumed because for all we know the average mursaat is only at average power while the ones we met are the elite of the elite, so ya just saying i don't think its a stretch to make mursaat playable, they just wont start off as powerful as (the most powerful ones in the race) the ones we met.

Still learning the lore of GW1 - cool bit.  But again I have to disagree with you: They are actually Plush toys
Yes, lol I new someone would catch that :).

I did too.

My stab at making lore for the Seers:

They could have went to another dimension or were saved / preserved by the human gods (like the forgotten) and with the Human Gods city being an explorable dungeon - there could be a portal leading to the seers safe zone.  They could be brought back by being re-employed the gods to fight the dragon threat which would further that Dragons champion race and champions of the gods.

The scrying pool (which the origins are still speculated) in the eye of the north could be written to be a portal to the seers dimension/safe zone which put them out of reach of the mursaat. Over a (really really long) time frame the Seers society has been restored and they are have turned to be a thriving race.
The seers used the scrying pool (the portal) to communicate to the humans by giving abstract visions to help them combat the Destroyers and the Mursaat. This puts them in close proximity with the humans, like an unseen hand which was always guiding them but never revealed (for fear of being persecuted by the Mursaat again) which was helping them along the way but only slightly revealed.

With the humans a race that is now dying out, the Seers could feel sympathy for a people that they see as their Stewards making it the right moment and the right racial connection to make the Seers step forward from their silence, like the United States in WW2, and protect those have inadvertently been protecting them and to become a force which preserves the world from the dragons and other destructive forces that threaten it. (I'm looking at you Mr. Joko)

As a prestige race - I mean that the player would need to complete in game content with other races to gain access to the prestige race not that it isn't completely fleshed out or doesn't have its own story arcs. Each race could have a prestige race associated with it - Humans could be Mursaat/Seer - Charr could be Tengu, Norn could be the Kodan, Sylvari could be centaurs, and Asura could be Quaggan.

Neat idea, you obviously put a lot of thought into it, just scanning it it sounds cool.The reason I would say it is unlikely is because due to the seer persona as 'dead race' some vocal members of the player base will likely react badly, because of that I think if it were to be implemented they would set up some seer lore before hand, but still not impossible.

Regarding prestige races, you should note the devs haven't even confirmed if there will be races to the best of my knowledge, so it could be possible, but I don't think it would be implemented as you described, because it would tie players to their possible races, and might anger them if they find out they can be quaggan and really want to be tengu, I think that if prestige races are added it will be tied to the expansion you have, and be based on you reaching a certain level, and in return you may start on say a higher level than one (20 maybe) as you no longer need the intro (since you beat the game), still an interesting idea,

#141 Soulblazer87

Soulblazer87

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 06:26 PM

View PostKorra, on 31 July 2012 - 01:57 PM, said:

And this is why I like you Korra; we might disagree, but you make damn good points.

Yes, no Mursaat. There's DOZENS of other races that can be very well implemented, Tengu being at the lead last time I checked.

What's next, asking to play Dwarves?

#142 Korra

Korra

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1415 posts
  • Server:Far Shiverpeaks

Posted 01 August 2012 - 07:47 PM

View PostSoulblazer87, on 01 August 2012 - 06:26 PM, said:

And this is why I like you Korra; we might disagree, but you make damn good points.

Yes, no Mursaat. There's DOZENS of other races that can be very well implemented, Tengu being at the lead last time I checked.

Well thanks!

#143 nick the man

nick the man

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 07:50 PM

I think I have addressed EVERY arguement against them at this point, bring more up if you can think of some, the reason many want to play them is not because its 'just another race' but because its a cool race, I don't want to play as a tengu, I don't want to play as a hylek, they are generic races to me, but I do want to try out a mursaat, it's just player preference. The mursaat are completely different than the dwarves, it's been told in lore that the dwarves can no longer reproduce, and because of that they can't become playable as their can't be thousands of new individuals.

#144 AMIX_GW2

AMIX_GW2

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 483 posts
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 01 August 2012 - 07:52 PM

Tengu will be next playable race

#145 Zerogrifter

Zerogrifter

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 07:58 PM

View Postnick the man, on 01 August 2012 - 05:27 PM, said:

Neat idea, you obviously put a lot of thought into it

Thanks for the compliment but nope, I literally pulled it out of my butt. The premise of the idea was that if a race has submitted in a war or went into hiding it is to recuperate and repopulate. I'm not a historian so I don't want to offend anyone with this comparison but like the Jewish people during and after WWII, Seers could have been persecuted by the Mursaat and forced into hiding and in these years (possibly Melenia since this happened before humans came to Tyria) they have re-established themselves in society. The difference is that the Nazi threat was thwarted so the Jewish people didn't need to create another dimension to hide in. it would be reasonable to say that a few generations later they have regained some of their strength as a race.

I see your issue with the prestige race distribution as proposed and it probably goes against Anets ethos of "play your way" - I guess introducing this content as pay2play with expansions would be more profitable for arenanet and be generally better accepted by the players.

I think the argument is that the mursaat have 'natural ability' and the playable races earn theirs

I think from what i've seen all Asurans are hyper intelligent, All Norn (unless cursed) can shapeshift into a totem and do not die of old age, Sylvari are born full grown meaning they never go through a vulnerable "childhood", Humans are able to commune with the gods (well up until recently - I don't know whats going to happen since they've peaced out of tyria), the Charr earned it - they are a race that went the path of engineering and are incredibly ferocious and cut throat... I still hate them.

My point is that each race has natural ability so that shouldn't be a deciding factor :)

Just because they are stone and cant procreate doesn't mean we shouldn't be able to play them! Hey Arenanet, you heard the man, he wants to play a dwarf! Make it happen!

Besides Korra calling the player base of Guild Wars/GW2 retards and saying lore issues, which is a complete a blanket statement, I don't see any other points that were made to discredit the idea. We are dealing with a completely fictional universe which is really just left to the imagination of writers and game designers (and the wrath of ree soesbee hater of the "sexy" char). A good story teller can make anything work and build off of obscure points of reference in other stories to make it seem like it was a fully intended intricate web of lore.

I agree that there are a few races that should be inline before the Mursaat (Seer), specifically because there needs to be lore set in place in the Guild Wars 2 universe before this fledgling idea can come to fruition. From what I've come to gather - when Anet was adding classes per expansion for GW1 it severely altered the balance of PvP and PvE because of unforeseen builds. I sincerely doubt that they are going repeat this mistake and instead they will add new weapons and races and Nick the man is being creative.

If you get the dwarves in the game can you see if we can get the Jotun as playable too? :devil:  (dont get too upset Im just messing with you)

Edited by Zerogrifter, 01 August 2012 - 08:10 PM.

#146 nick the man

nick the man

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:11 PM

View PostAMIX_GW2, on 01 August 2012 - 07:52 PM, said:

Tengu will be next playable race

honestly, I don't think we should speculate on the order of playable races, its more logical to speculate on the next villian as they will dictate who the next race will be.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mursaat, New, cool, idea, player, Playable

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users