• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Scyrnn

Scyrnn

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:26 AM

This question has been bugging me ever since the last two beta events....Elementalist or Warrior for my main?

I will be strictly be focusing on PvE with very little PvP gameplay. I have tried both proffessions and found both very interesting with each one having their pros and cons. I like the elementalists basic concept of magical attacks of the four attunements dealing massive AoE damage and high burst damage. However, the elementalist is a very squishy class and i can see it being very irritating in the higher level PvE content, dungeons i.e. The warrior on the other hand is a very tough proffession that can take a hit while at the same time doing great DPS; however people say that higher content forces the warrior to use ranged weapons which i'm not quite a fan of. I will be playing with friends at times but I can't really say I will be soloing PvE when alone because you'll always run into someone to aid you in an event.

Both classes appeal to me and are very fun to play.....making it very difficult to decide between the two, and I'm not a fan of 2 mains so it has to be one of them. Please leave your vote and why you think so. Much Appreciated, Thanks :)

#2 crated

crated

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:55 AM

In PvE, it really depends on the encounter, I can think of a boss or two in PvE that script drops aoe in ranged forcing everyone to get close. On the other hand, you have bosses that have damage auras that just destroys melee. There's no silver bullet class for it.

In WvW, for certain, melee is pretty toxic when a big fight breaks out since everyone just FF's the closest thing they can fire on.

I vote elementalist? At least, there's always bound to be other people around during DE's; and its not like you can going to solo dungeons.

#3 Kormir

Kormir

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:57 AM

ele seems boring to me.
he may be very strong in wvwv but it's just spamming aoe's when staying save at the back.

#4 Scyrnn

Scyrnn

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:41 AM

Lets not think about WvWvW....Strictly PvE: questing, events, dungeons, that sort of stuff.

@crated: Now with generic monster mobs that just walk around the world....does an elementalist's "squishiness" affect it that much in that scenario? As for Dynamic events/dungeons there is always going to be other players to take away the attention from me.

@Kormir: I have always been a far-caster, played Ranger GW1, and in GW2 Ele's combo fields seem pretty helpful to the players on the foreground. With that being said the Warrior is very fun with melee combat and thats why i enjoy it as well....Tough call, Let's see some more opinions.

Edited by Scyrnn, 30 July 2012 - 09:42 AM.

#5 Christie

Christie

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:37 AM

I have thought about the two also. Played Charr Warrior last beta weekend and absolutely loved it. I decided that I'm going to roll both :) After all I'll be PvPing quite alot so it doesn't matter at what level my characters are at.

But since you're focusing on PvE, it's kinda hard to say which one because both are awesome, but I would probably turn for Elementalist. It has so much variety what you can do all the time with those 4 attunements and it requires more work to master it. Warrior feels much more simple, which could make it a bit more boring than Elementalist especially if you prefer ranged classes over melee.

What I will do is I roll Elementalist as a main character for PvE and PvP and Warrior mostly just for PvP.

Edited by Christie, 30 July 2012 - 11:45 AM.

#6 Scyrnn

Scyrnn

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:24 PM

Thanks, I find the elementalist to be very fun and offers strategic combos with the 4 attunements. That being said the Warrior is very straight forward and not as complicated to master. Can you guys talk about the Elementalist's "squishiness" and how it plays on a PvE perspective? I don't want to end up making an ele to get wrecked every few minutes by mobs. Thanks in advanced :)

Edited by Scyrnn, 30 July 2012 - 01:25 PM.

#7 MustacheBandit

MustacheBandit

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:44 PM

both are the most overpowered chars ingame currently. the difference is that one is really easy to play (warrior) and the other has a higher skill ceiling (ele).

Edited by MustacheBandit, 30 July 2012 - 06:44 PM.

#8 Scyrnn

Scyrnn

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:46 PM

View PostMustacheBandit, on 30 July 2012 - 06:44 PM, said:

both are the most overpowered chars ingame currently. the difference is that one is really easy to play (warrior) and the other has a higher skill ceiling (ele).

Haha.....I know their both very powerful, telling me their the same doesnt help my case haha :) I really enjoy the elementalist's combo attacks but what I really want to know is how "squishy" are they in PvE?

#9 Mall

Mall

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:30 PM

You can build a more robust ele trough traits and using more defensive utility skills.
Anyway elementalist has more control skills which you can use prevent/reduce damage to yourself thus improving your survivability.

Warriors survivability is "passive", elementalist survivability is "active"

#10 28six12

28six12

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:42 PM

If you play elementalist smart, you shouldn't be dying. This goes for your team mates too, they should know to protect you from enemies since you are squishy. In turn you help them at what they are not good at.

So for example you could go into an attunement that has snares (chill, cripple, stun, imobilize, and so on) so they can't come close to you, then switch to DPS attunement. You've also got blinds, knockdowns, daze... really, you'll be fine!

In fact after writing this post I think I'm going to main elementalist myself! :-D

Edited by 28six12, 31 July 2012 - 10:45 PM.

#11 DrunkenMadKing

DrunkenMadKing

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 472 posts
  • Server:Isle of Janthir

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:54 PM

Play both.  One as a main and one as an alt.  As you play one if you get bored or need a change of pace you can switch to the other for a completely different feel.  One will eventually pull you to their side and from there you have your main and the other becomes your alt.

#12 Scyrnn

Scyrnn

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 07:27 AM

Thanks alot guys....You really helped me decide. I think I'll go with an elementalist as a main because of how interesting they are and the fact that you need to play smart with your attunements,etc to do good; where as warrior is just button smashing :)

@DrunkenMadKing: I eventually plan on playing the vast majority of the proffessions as "alts" so no problem :)

@Fahrar Cub: Your post really helped alot, thanks :D

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Elementalist, Warrior, PvE, Survivability, AoE, DPS, Support

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users