• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Ddarkprince

Ddarkprince

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 02:19 PM

Ok this is my first post and my first time buying or playing a mmporg game, I am trying to decide to buy the game standard or deluxe i can get the game for £27 if i dont care about the 3 day head start from a local retailer, From what i know in pvp everybody is bumped to level 80 when fighting so it kind of makes me wonder what the point of the 3 day head start is

So summon wolf elite skill - i heard that they mentioned on twitter that it would be accessible at lvl 30 only,
- we dont know how long you can use it for and it's duration period
- we don't know how long the cool down is
- we don't know what it looks like
- we don't know how powerful it is-
and how much time do we have left to buy it - will they stop selling deluxe when game starts, could i just wait until people play and tell me their experiences about the skill but how long will it take some to get to lvl 30

now browsing through many forums i saw this view from many people - if the wolf gives any advantage or is stronger in anyway then that is not fair and i will be super pissed because they lied about being able to buy power in this game, but if it's under powered then other elite skills i will laugh in the faces of all those people who paid the extra money.

what do you think about these kind of comments - on one hand pay to win was mentioned but from what i know wasn't it only mentioned about the gem shop - micro transactions my understanding is the CE is not a micro transaction

if i was to pay for the deluxe version it would cost me £65
that's a £38 difference for me - so is the mini pet and elite summon wolf skill worth £38

lastly some may argue we dont know anything really until it comes out but if you look on there website the explain what the hero band is and does why would they not to the same for the summon wolf elite skill - unless it wasnt that great thats why there is no news - i am gonna keep waiting until it's really close then make a decision -

i would love to hear from someone who has more knowledge about the company and can offer some insight

this is my opinion and observations and not fact please put your two cents in to help me make a decision or give everyone a different perspective i am new to forums and this type of gaming i am sorry if have offended anyone

i also am looking forward to this game, and will be buying regardless of this issue
sorry about long post

Attached Files

Edited by Khalija, 01 August 2012 - 10:01 PM.
please dont change font styles, colors or sizes

#2 KQ

KQ

The Quaestor

• Site Contributors
  • 3295 posts
  • Profession:Ranger
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 01 August 2012 - 04:38 PM

View PostDdarkprince, on 01 August 2012 - 02:19 PM, said:

will they stop selling deluxe when game starts, could i just wait until people play and tell me their experiences about the skill but how long will it take some to get to lvl 30

Digital Deluxe will be available for purchase after release, and it will not be shut down. You will even be able to upgrade from Standard Edition to Digital Deluxe.

But to answer your question about the Mistfire Wolf. No, it doesn't offer any kind of advantage over other skills you'd obtain through regular play. The topmost power it could achieve would be on the level of a racial elite skill, which are simply inferior to any profession elite skill. Skills like racial elites and the Mistfire Wolf just offer you additional flavor and perhaps another interesting ability option in case your profession doesn't have such an option. But, as I've said, you'd only want to use the profession skills in any serious encounter.

And the Hero's Band? Another pointless item. It grants you a +2 increase in all stats. Do you know how much stat increase do you get from just playing the game? Even the lowest level ring gives you better numbers than the Hero's Band. You literally get a boatload of stats, be it from your traits, or your items, or from leveling up. To put it simply, the Hero's Band is negligible.

ArenaNet has never used pay-to-win, and they never will, as it's simply a horrible business model on the long term.

Edited by Khalija, 01 August 2012 - 10:01 PM.
removed formatting on quote

#3 Ddarkprince

Ddarkprince

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:16 PM

thanks for taking the time out to answer my question, i've decided not to get the deluxe version now, can i ask do you think its worth paying £50 for the 3 day head start or should i just buy it for £27 at my local store and play on the 28th, i am guessing they might do some crazy events in those 3 days though and have certain items you can only receive during those 3 days

#4 Dibrom

Dibrom

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 271 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:51 PM

View PostDdarkprince, on 01 August 2012 - 09:16 PM, said:

thanks for taking the time out to answer my question, i've decided not to get the deluxe version now, can i ask do you think its worth paying £50 for the 3 day head start or should i just buy it for £27 at my local store and play on the 28th, i am guessing they might do some crazy events in those 3 days though and have certain items you can only receive during those 3 days
I don't know why it'd be more expensive to buy the game now vs on launch, but there's no indication that ANet's going to do anything special.  And if they did, none of the event items are worth anything.

#5 KQ

KQ

The Quaestor

• Site Contributors
  • 3295 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:58 PM

We have a policy against asking for opinions in Q&A. Please take the time and read the Q&A Guidelines.

To answer your question in a factual way, you wouldn't receive anything special by pre-purchasing. But to state the obvious, you'd get to play it sooner and get to reserve your names (if you have a GW1 account). No headstart official events have yet been announced.

Take a look at this list and check is your store among the official retailers. You might be getting scammed.

Edited by KQ, 01 August 2012 - 10:01 PM.

#6 ShezuTsukai

ShezuTsukai

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 481 posts
  • Profession:Thief
  • Guild Tag:[Soul]
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:06 PM

The three day head start may matter to someone who did not play GW1 simply to have a higher chance to get the name you want.

As far as marketing and revenue the prepurchase was very astute because it generated a lot of revenue.  Without the 3 day head start many less would have prepurchased.

#7 Shadowcat101

Shadowcat101

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 209 posts
  • Guild Tag:[WOLF]
  • Server:Crystal Desert

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:06 PM

View PostKQ, on 01 August 2012 - 04:38 PM, said:

But to answer your question about the Mistfire Wolf. No, it doesn't offer any kind of advantage over other skills you'd obtain through regular play. The topmost power it could achieve would be on the level of a racial elite skill, which are simply inferior to any profession elite skill. Skills like racial elites and the Mistfire Wolf just offer you additional flavor and perhaps another interesting ability option in case your profession doesn't have such an option. But, as I've said, you'd only want to use the profession skills in any serious encounter.

I don’t know about that... Avatar of Meandru is a racial elite skill, and the Binding Roots that come with the Avatar is very strong, well it was in the last BWE3. If the Mistfire wolf was anything like that skill it is something i would want to have the option of using...

#8 KQ

KQ

The Quaestor

• Site Contributors
  • 3295 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:17 PM

View PostShadowcat101, on 01 August 2012 - 10:06 PM, said:

I don’t know about that... Avatar of Meandru is a racial elite skill, and the Binding Roots that come with the Avatar is very strong, well it was in the last BWE3. If the Mistfire wolf was anything like that skill it is something i would want to have the option of using...

While it may appear so, ArenaNet have firmly stated that their intention is to make such skills inferior to profession skills.

#9 Caldagar

Caldagar

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 303 posts
  • Server:Isle of Janthir

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:25 PM

View PostDdarkprince, on 01 August 2012 - 09:16 PM, said:

There is nothing confirmed as of yet, but if GW1 is any indication they did have some special events and items that were only available for the head start. These were of course cosmetic so you can decided whether it's worth the money or not.

The only other benefit, apart from the obvious playing the game sooner, is the higher probability of getting the character names you want.

#10 RuffianXion

RuffianXion

Fahrar Cub

• New Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 12:26 AM

I've never known any MMO's "special edition" to give any true in-game advantage to it's purchasers on release in the sense that you had some kind of power advantage (more health, damage etc.). Sometimes you get a bonus or two down the line, but nothing that gives you an advantage over players that didn't purchase it. Usually its just a way to get some more cash in the bank to offset development costs.

And that £27 you're seeing, you should check the delivery date on that. I've seen one report from someone who paid for a seemingly cheap pre-order from Amazon and was given a delivery date of 31st August - 3 days AFTER launch. If you're OK starting a week after most other people then I guess its good value, but if not...

Edited by RuffianXion, 02 August 2012 - 12:34 AM.

#11 Ddarkprince

Ddarkprince

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 12:47 PM

it is from a local supplier to uk they sell it for £30 and deliver to you on either 27th - 29th, so basically without the 3 day head start and i used a coupon to take £3 off on top of that. I really kind of want that wolf skill i have a feeling it will look really amazing but i was hoping it would match up to the other skills at the least rather than being underpowered. If they included it in pvp as long as you had the skill it could just be there for aesthetics and not take part in fighting and not take up a elite slot that would be cool.

and i really do have this feeling they will do some cool events in those 3 days, because they made such a big deal out of the 3 days head start they must have something planned

#12 Ddarkprince

Ddarkprince

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:42 AM

i just wanted to let you guys know i ended up buying the deluxe version, after playing the game in last night's stress test for the first time i have got to say it's worth it, i saw all these people with pets as ranger class just imagine having a pet even though your a elemental thats cool i thnk. Anyway i hoped you guys had a good time at the stress test aswell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users