Rhaeton

Pale Tree Seedling

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • Guild Tag:[Saga]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 04 August 2012 - 02:04 AM

Hi All,   Saga Family here.

Saga has a long tradition dating back to the early days of EQ1 when we formed on Firiona Vie (the RP server) in 2002. Since then we've been in many games, always RP and always light side, though often tending towards the gray. We play across all North American timezones on a somewhat variable schedule. We're looking for like-minded folks to join us in this newest world, and if that might be you please read on. Summary to start, and more extensive FAQ to follow.

If you'd like to initiate an application please send me a private message through here, and the application process is simply that we exchange messages until I'm confident that you know what Saga is, want what Saga is, and would fit in with who we are.

SUMMARY

In game, Saga is a group of friends, companions, acquaintances, and even rivals. Our guild doesn't have an in-game mission or structure and so the guild association itself is largely out of character. This is to ensure that any RP character premise appropriate to the world setting can fit. From there it's up to you.

Out of game, we are mature gamers who appreciate the importance of family, jobs, sleep, and real life priorities. We enjoy the most challenging aspects of any game but we won't ask that anyone sacrifice their other commitments only to ensure we "win." We have the skills and the attitude to play at any level, but we tend to take the long road to the end game.

As a gaming family that's survived intact for literally a decade, Saga is low drama. We don't get excited because a raid has wiped (though we learn from it), we don't see any reason why RP drama needs to become OOC drama, and we certainly aren't interested in damaging the real friendships we develop for one another over some game. We hold elections semi-annually and our elected leaders appoint any additional, required positions. Anything positive you want to do for or with the guild will find support.

EXTENDED FAQ

What is Saga?

Saga (aka "The Saga Family") is a guild that has existed in several MMOs since its inception in 2002 during the high point of EverQuest (EQ1). At that time we were on Firiona Vie (the RP server) and Saga has always been on the side of light/good/order ever since, in all our games, and on RP servers. We've played EQ1, EQ2, SWG, Vanguard, WoW, Rift, LOTRO, and probably some I've forgotten. Not every player has played every game, of course. People take breaks, come back, find a new game they want to play, and naturally look for old friends. We've continued for almost a decade on that basis.

Most of the energy in Saga has reoriented towards SW:TOR at this stage. Many members really enjoyed SWG before it went bad (with resulting bitterness against Sony) and are exited to rediscover Star Wars as a MMO. Others are just interested in the newest frontier. We have a fair sprinkling of dedicated Star Wars fans with terrifying command of lore and trivia, as well as less experienced folks.

We have a home website here. Please post in the OOC section if you wish to say "hi." With Guild Wars 2 being a fantasy themed MMO we are excited to return to a fantasy realm as that is the type of MMO where Saga began 10 years ago.

What is Saga's in-game premise?

We meet and gather around a tavern, hub in some remote town, or even major race cities (i.e., Divinity’s Reach, Rata Sum). Any character that can find an excuse to be there can be member of Saga. As characters meet one another and interact, we find excuses to help each other and do things together. Over time, the web of acquaintances becomes its own justification for the existence of the guild. There is no in character structure. The tag of <Saga> is more a signal to other players about who we are, and a way to find and play with friends, than it is an association that we talk about.

On a practical level, we do things this way to avoid constraining anyone's RP. We also find this works well in terms of story development and world setting. After all, most stories do occur amongst folks who simply know one another - not people who join quasi-military organizations with rigid hierarchies. That sort of guild is fine for those who want it. But Saga is a cast of characters who experience adventures together, not an organized order or knights or a caste of smugglers.

How is Saga organized and led?

In keeping with the premise above, Saga's leadership and structure is out of character. That is, a player may be the leader or an officer but their character could be an antisocial malcontent that no one trusts. We periodically hold elections to confirm what we already know - that leaders emerge naturally. Anything positive you want to do for or with Saga will be supported, whether you're a newbie or an old hand.

Our first elections will be two months post-launch. Prior to that point, Saga is being organized and led by a group of people nominated from our existing base.

Who are you?

I'm Batman. Seriously, I am a recruit turned member turned officer of Saga’s latest MMO Star Wars: the Old Republic. From the very beginning of joining Saga I was unsure of what I would find as far as group dynamics. Most guilds are chock full of drama, mini-cliques, and lots of things that prohibit players just getting together and having fun. I am not professing that Saga will be ‘drama-free’ but because we are a mature guild there is a heck of a lot less of it than in any other guild I have ever been in. This covers at least 10 years of MMO gaming to some extent and various guilds between those 10 years. Saga is a place that I know I can stay for the long haul, not just one game or the next and I love it. The biggest impression I had with Saga is when the guild leader for SWtOR communicated with me via e-mail (before I was even an official recruit) and painstakingly fielded even single question I had. I was very impressed and it is a tradition that I will continue on for anyone who has any questions about Saga.

I have been a guild leader before and I have been just a member before, I know how gaming life is on both sides of the coin and aim to make those sides as transparent and uniform as possible. So, if you have any questions, feel free to ask away. First and foremost I love having fun with like-minded gamers.

Why is Saga recruiting?

We're an old guild, and coming in with a solid core, but we know from experience that it's no fun to play with half a guild. Much as public recruiting can be difficult at times, it's also a great way to find new blood. As folks have become older and moved on, or just have less time, we obviously need to renew. We all want a fun and active guild in Guild Wars 2. We have a decent amount of people coming over for SWtOR but we also want to continue to add some new blood to Saga. The recruitment during SWtOR brought in some fantastic members and we hope to do the same with the launch of GW2. Not numbers for their own sake - just so we can all have a good base of friends to play with.

How is Saga recruiting?

We've agreed to be fairly loose with things for now. Answer this thread, drop us a line on our guild page, or send me a message and we'll chat. We're under no illusions we can know new people well before launch. I'm happy to chat on Mumble (or Vent or TS3 for that matter) with people before hand. But mainly, if things sound like a good fit, we only ask that you start the game with us on the same server and we'll take it from there. From experience, I've found that works best.

Are you recruiting for Saga in GW2 or Saga as a general guild? And is there a difference?

There is a difference. Folks who game with us in one or more games are simply guildies. Folks who've truly joined Saga are "family members." We're recruiting for GW2, for now, and that's why we're being loose about it. Saga as a family has a more formalized application process. But if you fit in with us in GW2, I'm sure joining the Saga family wouldn't be tough, if you wanted to.

What are your requirements and/or expectations in terms of commitment and playtime?

There is no required amount of play time. Realistically, our members probably average between about 5-20 hours per week. Though let's face it - in the first few weeks we'll all be in overdrive. We expect that people will progress at different rates and working around that is something we all learn to live with. We certainly make efforts to group with and support one another at all times. It's something that's always happened naturally so we don't have rules to demand it.

What are your requirements in terms of skill, class choice, crafting focus, etc.?

None. We prefer that our players make efforts to succeed at doing something in the game, and to help other people as they can, but there's no hard and fast rules. Do what's fun. Most of us enjoy being useful enough that we're eager to plug holes or help where help's needed. We don't require that anyone commit to being "elite" at this game - just do your best to be useful and effective.

What times are you most active?

Weekends and evenings according to North American time zones are most active. Beyond that it's hard to be certain. We also have some folks on shift work and European schedules and we welcome applications from players in that range, if you don't mind keeping odd hours or playing during times when less guildies might be about.

Will there be specific events and/or playtimes scheduled?

Likely yes. Otherwise it's hard to get a lot of people on together - and having a lot on at the same time is always fun. We'll plan this as best we can based on everyone's schedules once we launch. No requirements to be there regularly - just the opportunity if it fits.

How much role-playing is expected?

Some members of Saga roleplay constantly. Others are more roleplay light. At minimum, while using in-character communication, you should uphold the atmosphere of the environment so as not to disrupt anyone else's gaming experience. Elaborately written character stories, regular role-play with other characters, etc. is nice but optional. If you're new to RP or a bit shy we're fine with that. Take it easy for a bit and observe. Just uphold the world atmosphere and the rest follows. All characters that join Saga must must be of the good or neutral alignment. This means no characters that are evil or have evil intentions. This is a rule that will be monitored as it is a part of Saga's tradition.

What about voice chat?

Although it's new to some members, Saga has decided to use voice chat in TOR for at least some activities. We have a 35-slot dedicated Mumble server on paid hosting, and we'll expand that if required. We'll be using this to coordinate in challenging PvE content and in PvP when it occurs (see below). As such, the willingness to at least get the program and listen in sometimes is a requirement when doing activities such as PvP or high-level PvE content that requires coordination. Voice chat will be out of character by default. If folks want to roleplay live in a separate room they are welcome to, but there's no expectation that anyone do so. If you're new to voice chat don't worry - we'll walk you through it.

What about PvP?

Most members of Saga are interested in PvP to some degree. We prefer to experience PvP on a PvE server so that it stays consensual and doesn't degenerate into griefing. Due to the nature of Guild Wars 2, there really is no worry about griefing or ganking as all of the PvP is either in the Mists or hot-joinable. There will be people doing both (likely the same people) and iIf you want to PvP with us you'll have the chance to do so. If you prefer to avoid it entirely we'll support that choice.

What is Saga's atmosphere like in terms of social expectations? What does it mean to be a mature guild?

Saga doesn't have rules about language, adult content, or similar. If you want to swear go ahead and swear - because we're all adults, right? Then I did that once and forgot that someone's young kid was listening in and I felt bad. Being mature means keeping things like that in mind, as much as possible. We aren't striving to be resolutely PG - only to ensure everyone is comfortable.

In that vein, Saga is welcoming to all gamers who fit our demographic, regardless of race, gender, creed, religion, sexual orientation, etc. We're here to play the game together, not to judge each others real lives. It's never been a problem in the past and I don't anticipate it might be a problem in the future. So if you have concerns along those lines know you're welcome in Saga, and if you aren't sure you can extend that same courtesy to everyone else you might want to look elsewhere.

Do you have everything else other guilds have?

Saga is a long-established but an older guild. We come from a simpler time. It seems to me (and you'll excuse me for sounding old) that some of what guilds do today only makes work for the sake of work. So here are a few things that Saga doesn't have.

We don't have awards. We'll never become so large that active members of the guild need to be reminded what someone else has accomplished. We don't have a roster based on our website. There are in-game tools that accomplish this better. We don't have elaborate rank structures - only what's required to supply different levels of permission.

We do have and use all the tools that help us communicate and play the game together. Website, forum, chat server (mumble). And then we spend our time playing the game.

How large will Saga become?

We started off here with about 20 veteran members and began recruiting based on real life friends, companions from other games, past associations, and open introductions. Some are coming from SWtOR, others are coming in for a return to the fantasy realm.

Like many gamers, we've experienced what it's like to try to play a new game (or any game) with half a guild and it's no fun. We wanted to expand the tent and to have a large and active guild - as long as it's full of the right people. And we think we're on track for that.

We certainly aren't still recruiting just for the sake of recruiting - not that we ever were. But we also haven't set a hard cap or closed the doors. Likely there will always be room for the right applicant. Inevitably, GW2 won't be for everyone (no game is) and there will be some early turnover. So we'll keep the process going to ensure a healthy roster, and continue recruiting selectively. We'll reexamine how we're doing as needed.

How do I apply?

If you think you might fit with us either post here or send me a private message. We'll take it from there. No commitment necessary and questions are welcome. You don't have to be in your 30s+, as many of us are, you just need to appreciate a mature, low drama guild that enjoys a good raid, some good RP, maybe some PvP, but also knows there's work in the morning.

Good journeys to you all.

----------

If you have questions feel free to PM me, e-mail me, or come to our boards and say hello. Thank you for your time.

#2 Rhaeton

Rhaeton

Pale Tree Seedling

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:02 PM

Weekly bump.  Saga is still recruiting the right people, if you think you'd like to join us, feel free to stop by our page and say hello!

#3 Rhaeton

Rhaeton

Pale Tree Seedling

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:37 AM

Getting closer now folks.  Looking for a RP Guild to roll with into GW2?  Come visit us at www.sagafamily.org

We have already found tons of great RP in the beta weekends and we are really looking forward to building our characters through PvE and WvW.   We also have some members with an interest in SPvP tournaments, so we can fit anyway you'd like to play.
We have collectors, storytellers, actors and jump puzzle fanatics all ready to explore and enjoy all this new content.

#4 Rhaeton

Rhaeton

Pale Tree Seedling

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:06 AM

Saga is still recruiting on Tarnished Coast!  The RP has been great so far, we have several members at 40+ and several more well under that.  If you'd like a laid back, fun place to RP and a group of awesome folks to explore with, look us up!

#5 Rhaeton

Rhaeton

Pale Tree Seedling

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:27 PM

The WvW has been amazing, Dungeons are a blast and this krewe is a fanastic group of people.  Come have fun with us, all skill levels are welcome!

#6 Rhaeton

Rhaeton

Pale Tree Seedling

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:31 AM

Come one, come all!  Join Saga in the daily hijinks!

#7 Rhaeton

Rhaeton

Pale Tree Seedling

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:39 AM

We are still having a blast on Tarnished Coast and we'd like for you to join us!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users