• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Zarrd Onyyx

Zarrd Onyyx

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 12:42 AM

Right now, utility skills will change the weapon bar and F1-4 skills are single-use.  This is backwards to every other class.  The F1-4 skills should change the weapon, and the utility skills should be single-use.

#2 Aristio

Aristio

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 02:42 AM

We're not like other classes. Our Tool Belt is what gives us the extra utility and I quite enjoy it.

#3 dancingmonkey

dancingmonkey

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 352 posts
  • Profession:Engineer
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 05 August 2012 - 03:00 AM

I have to agree with Aristio on this. Its our defining professional mechanic. Its unique and I like how it works.

#4 Blizt

Blizt

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 03:38 AM

I don't even understand why OP would want to change it...

#5 The Eggman

The Eggman

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1159 posts
  • Guild Tag:[MBDf]

Posted 05 August 2012 - 05:11 AM

View PostZarrd Onyyx, on 05 August 2012 - 12:42 AM, said:

Right now, utility skills will change the weapon bar and F1-4 skills are single-use.  This is backwards to every other class.  The F1-4 skills should change the weapon, and the utility skills should be single-use.

First off... other class mechanics (F keys) that are "single use" and not weapon bar swaps:
Ranger
Guardian
Warrior
Mesmer
Thief

So the only classes that have your weapon bar change via F keys is elementalist and necro.

#6 luminumcan

luminumcan

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 09:05 AM

So the kits essentially become an elementalist's attunements?

#7 Adamantium

Adamantium

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 409 posts
  • Guild Tag:[MoG]

Posted 06 August 2012 - 01:06 AM

I don't think they do. They work perfectly fine how they are, I don't think they "need" to be changed just because you want it to be a certain way.

#8 Zarrd Onyyx

Zarrd Onyyx

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 04:24 AM

View PostThe Eggman, on 05 August 2012 - 05:11 AM, said:

First off... other class mechanics (F keys) that are "single use" and not weapon bar swaps:
Ranger
Guardian
Warrior
Mesmer
Thief

So the only classes that have your weapon bar change via F keys is elementalist and necro.

Point taken.  However, my main concern is consistency in keybinds so I don't need to relearn what key does what for each profession.  So, since the Ele is so ubiqitous, the other profs should conform to that mechanic.

#9 Ronule

Ronule

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 04:57 AM

View PostZarrd Onyyx, on 06 August 2012 - 04:24 AM, said:

Point taken.  However, my main concern is consistency in keybinds so I don't need to relearn what key does what for each profession.  So, since the Ele is so ubiqitous, the other profs should conform to that mechanic.

I can understand your concern on that matter, however, that is mainly a personal issue and not a game issue.  If you want to be sure that all of your keybinds are consistant then change them up to a setup you like or maybe get a gameboard.

#10 coglin

coglin

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1402 posts
  • Profession:Engineer
  • Guild Tag:[MoG]

Posted 06 August 2012 - 05:41 AM

I do not think Key bind are a reason to build class mechanics. Class mechanics are a reason to build key binds. You do not have a real need to change key bind to go from engineer to another profession or vice a versa. This falls way to deep into the category of "it needs to be changed for my convenience" as far as I can tell.

#11 luminumcan

luminumcan

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:32 AM

The Elementalist has Conjure skills which work nearly identically to the Engineer's kits. That's a far closer match than comparing the professions' F1-F4 mechanics.

#12 Elgareth

Elgareth

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 258 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:55 AM

Additionally the Toolbelts being Kits doesn't make sense since we get multiple lower Cooldowns and Instant-Recharges on our Toolbelt Skills, which would make those obsolete when taking Kits.

If you don't want to re-bind your keys, don't take kits, it's as easy as that ;-)

#13 Rohne Matro

Rohne Matro

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:16 PM

I disagree with this idea, I think that is part of what makes the engineer special, you get bonus skills based on what you take, its like adding special bonuses to every skill that only you get to use, I love that about it.

Edited by Rohne Matro, 06 August 2012 - 08:17 PM.

#14 Jancro

Jancro

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 12:28 AM

That would change the whole idea of the mechanic. Your only reason is so that transitioning from one class to another is smoother? Just re-learn the class, you'll have to do that anyways since it IS a different class.

#15 Aristio

Aristio

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:03 AM

View PostZarrd Onyyx, on 06 August 2012 - 04:24 AM, said:

What each F1 skill does for each class, simplified.

Engineer-Defensive cooldown
Mesmer-Offensive cooldown
Ranger-Pet attack
Thief-Offensive or Defensive cooldown
Warrior-Offensive cooldown
Necromancer-Defensive cooldown
Guardian-Offensive cooldown
Elementalist-Attunement swap

Point is, you're going to need to relearn each keybind for every class.

Edited by Aristio, 07 August 2012 - 06:27 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: F1, tool belt, kits

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users