I was able to see the log in screen earlier today when I finished downloading the game. Just now whenever I open GW2, the welcome screen shows blank with no log in or anything as depicted in the above link.
Before I never was successful logging in and saw the message that I was not participated in an active event....I don't understand what's changed in the gw2.exe.
Anyone else getting this?
Edit* Update* Ok I just want to update on this problem I had earlier. The problem lies within my firewall setting. It was the same problem I had when I tried to download the client. After the firewall issue is resolved, the screen then jumps to the regular log-in screen instead of just that nice GW2 blank wallpaper. I hope this helps others who were wondering the same thing.
However I'd like to also address that I never had this type of issue with any other games including all GW1. Maybe this isn't a full game or just the way the game client is designed that my firewall strictly disallow all of its related communications eventhough Its on the allowed list. Hopefully the full game and new patches will fix this type of issue wtih my firewall.
I hope the following info will help others who encounters the same problem:
Assuming AVG IS 2012:
1. Open User Interface
2. Click Tools
3. Firewall settings, in the panel that pops up, you will see profiles on the left (the active one will be in bold)
4. Click on Sytem services in the active one
5. Click the Manage user system rules, another window opens, click Add button, a change rule detail window opens, here you want it to read:
- For protocol TCP, direction Out
- local port(s) Unrestricted ports (1024-65535)
- Remote port(s) 80,6112,6600
- Remote address(es) All Networks, Allow for All , give it a name of "GW Special" down at bottom. click ok, click ok, click ok, close User Interface.
Thats as detailed as I can get, I added the extra ports as some folks seem to have AVG set to block new applications hence only getting to patch server. "
From what I understand the guildwars client tries to open port 80 but also needs 6112 and 6600 open outbound. Just adding the gw2.exe to the firewall exclusions (and allowing any ports to be allowed) doesnt solve the problem, but setting the system rules to allow a connection on the three ports works.
*Source: From official AVG Technical forum Q/A
Edited by MysticAngelic, 08 August 2012 - 11:58 AM.